Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sheridan is apparently off to Canada tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Boston I heard.

Meath were useless today, very sloppy, handpassing was shocking bad. Stephen Bray and Kevin Reilly the only positives. Cian Ward not at the races at all.

Very surprised by the Galway crowd there. Nearly outnumbered by Meath fans, was it because of the hurling in Thurles?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well done lads. Deserved the victory and I'd agree that our goal was a blatant square ball. We appeared to go into the game thinking victory was in the bag.

Seahawk, I don't know why you thought Kevin Reilly was a positive. He had poor distribution throughout and was directly at fault for the Galway goal after letting an easy ball slip through his hands. Bray also missed a few kickable frees which Cian Ward probably would have kicked given that he was spot on with two 45s.

Maybe we should have a Meath discussion thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

In the Hurling how did Niall Burke play? Was playing under 21 for his club 12 hours previously and that game went to ET.

How was Bernard Burke? He seems like a great player, lightning pace and strength in abbundance

Well done lads. Deserved the victory and I'd agree that our goal was a blatant square ball. We appeared to go into the game thinking victory was in the bag.

Seahawk, I don't know why you thought Kevin Reilly was a positive. He had poor distribution throughout and was directly at fault for the Galway goal after letting an easy ball slip through his hands. Bray also missed a few kickable frees which Cian Ward probably would have kicked given that he was spot on with two 45s.

Maybe we should have a Meath discussion thread.

Yeah, I don't know why Bray is on the frees but his play in general was very good. I thought Reilly did well going forward, he seemed comfortable on the ball, unlike most of the Meath team.
    What's wrong with Cian Ward? Very very disappointing so far this year. Really bad today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Very surprised by the Galway crowd there. Nearly outnumbered by Meath fans, was it because of the hurling in Thurles?

Probably not, Galway football always has poor following, until they progress quite far in the summer.... one wonders where all the supporters from 98-2002 have disappeared to. They did a similar disappearing act in the early 90's. I guess I cant say anything, I havent been able to make it to a Galway game this year due to work....Hopefully, I will make it to the rest of the home games though.

Generally, hurling & football matches clashing dont really have a huge effect on attendances in Galway. They are just as bad as ever!

Why don't they look into the double headers that Dublin are doing? They have relatively strong hurling and football teams (when compared to most other counties anyway) that surely it would work? Nice ground in Salthill too.

There was a double header for the Louth match but it still only did maybe 4000. We give out about the home support but there's the hardcores who watch FBD matches and go to every away match who look down on us too.

Interest isn't there and in Galway especially there's a split when it comes to sporting allegiances. You'll rarely see the same people going to rugby, soccer and GAA. When Galway get to Connacht finals that's when the sunshine brigade comes out in force. It's more of a thing to do than a genuine interest.

Why don't they look into the double headers that Dublin are doing? They have relatively strong hurling and football teams (when compared to most other counties anyway) that surely it would work? Nice ground in Salthill too

They should look to do more alright....but Galway's public just dont have a huge amount of interest, In fairness, if it was in Tuam today, I doubt Meath would have come close to out numbering Galways support.

Not sure what today was like there, sounded fairly calm, but that ground has one of the strangest and strongest winds in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I have huge intrest in Galway football and I go to a few games each year. I did not go to the Wicklow match 2001 but every other match that year ( 3 times in Croke park) and I could not get a ticket for the final, that made me think about it a bit more. We have maybe 200-300 through thick and thin fans and they are they best kind of people you could meet. Few of them if any are looked after when it comes to the odd big day out we get.
    I will always be a Galway football fan the Hurlers too but I feel we are not a part of the plan, when the county board sets out the agenda for the year.

• Advertisement

There's season tickets out now for the thick and thin fans that guarantees you into a final should you attend 60% of the matches. The kind of fans who travel to Derry or Monaghan deserve tickets more than I. With the season tickets they get the final tickets should Galway get there.

I can't speak for the 1998-2001 era of tickets but the father got tickets through the club for the football. He did the same thing for the final against Tipp. Even for 2005 AI Hurling Final even though I wasn't involved with a club I got tickets for the final from Pearse Stadium office by heading in to the offices on a specific day where fans were told to drop by and leave orders for tickets.

For the amount of tickets they get somebody will always be disappointed but for the true fans they still get every opportunity in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Was in thurles yest - we played v well & were unlucky not to get a draw. Niall Burke played ok - he did find it tough going at times thou against o'mahony. D Hayes was mighty, and Conor cooney & James Regan had their moments. Midfield struggled, as did the wing backs, full backs coughed up a lot too, but played well in parts. Showed mighty heart, was really impressed with the attitude. They've come a long way from the hiding in salthill last year. Competed v well for aerial ball 2, about broke even. Tipp were a bit cuter & seemed to get scores a little handier. That's what u get with a bit of experience I suppose. Think cork are up next week, not sure thou. Well done to the footballers - didn't expect that after what I saw in mullingar. Well done to all

Not sure if this has been confirmed but this is more than likely the under 21 team for wed..

1. Maghnus Breathnach (Spideal)
    2. Gary sweeney (Mountbellew)
    3. Johnny Duane (St James)
    4. James Shaughnessy (Ballinasloe)
    5. Conor Halloran (Salthill/k)
    6. Cathal Sweeney (Killannin)
    7. Conor Costello (Claregalway)
    8. Fiontain O'Curraoin (Micheal Breathnachs)
    9. Brian Flaherty (Monivea/ Abbey)
    10. Shane Maughan (St. Michaels)
    11. Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
    12. Conor Rabbitte (kilkerrin/C)
    13. Eric Monahan (Caherlistrane)
    14. Patrick Sweeney (Killanin)
    15. Peadar Og O'Griofa (Ml. Breathnachs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been confirmed but this is more than likely the under 21 team for wed..

No Davd Wynne?

h2005 wrote: »
    No Davd Wynne?

Apparently not, he'll be ready from the bench though! Tbh I'd have Wynne in at half-forward, Maughan is a CF Flynn is a mid, and Rabbitte is a FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

They have a chance, and a welcome absence of Corofin players to boot. FF line is a bit iffy though and not sure either about no. 6.

MfMan wrote: »
    They have a chance, and a welcome absence of Corofin players to boot. FF line is a bit iffy though and not sure either about no. 6.

Gee I think that's a brilliant FF line! Monahan and POG were with Galway seniors last year. P Sweeney played well throughout AllIreland winning u21 campaign too. Centre back I'd agree on, would have Duane out there myself, shocks full back then.

Gee I think that's a brilliant FF line! Monahan and POG were with Galway seniors last year. P Sweeney played well throughout AllIreland winning u21 campaign too. Centre back I'd agree on, would have Duane out there myself, shocks full back then.

No, both Sweeney and Monaghan replaced during final last year, though the game was probably won by then anyway. If no. 6 is going bad, Flaherty could drop back with Flynn dropping to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway U-21s fell at the first hurdle away to Mayo after ET. By all accounts they threw it away 15 wides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway U-21s fell at the first hurdle away to Mayo after ET. By all accounts they threw it away 15 wides.

Yeah a mate of mine was there. They were the better side all the way through normal time but hit some mad wides when they were well on top. Mayo made a comeback then towards the end and seemed fresher in extra time. Galway lost a fair few lads to injury as well so were running on fumes by the end. O'Curroain never played in the end for a start.

Yeah a mate of mine was there. They were the better side all the way through normal time but hit some mad wides when they were well on top. Mayo made a comeback then towards the end and seemed fresher in extra time. Galway lost a fair few lads to injury as well so were running on fumes by the end. O'Curroain never played in the end for a start.
    Very disappointing to lose it - were all over Mayo for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half, but kicked some incredible wides. Ref gave a very harsh tap over free to put Mayo 1 point up 4 or 5 minutes from the end of ET for an illegal handpass. We never looked like getting it back after that.

They need to get a bit cuter in the forwards - Mayos gameplan pretty much consisted of running directly at the our backs to try to earn frees, ref was blowing for them all night. Galway seemed to try to keep the ball moving to get a free man in a position to have a go - in fairness it worked up until the final shot. Might have been better to try to work the free. Think Mayo got 8 or 9 from frees, we only got 4 or 5.

Duane had a stormer at full back, Ó'Gríofa & Monahan were the pick of the forwards, whilst Varley & Molloy also did well when they came on. Maughan was a big disappointment. A game we left behind us thou - colud have kicked on bigtime if we had won it. I expect Mayo will go very close to winning it out now.

Cillian O'Connor is some talent for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

The 2 Sweeneys going off cost us the match I thought Duane was excellent. The decision making by our forwards was shocking, running into blind alleys and kicking silly wides. I think the management have a bit to answer for too. Did we have 16 players on the pitch at one stage?

h2005 wrote: »
    The 2 Sweeneys going off cost us the match I thought Duane was excellent. The decision making by our forwards was shocking, running into blind alleys and kicking silly wides. I think the management have a bit to answer for too. Did we have 16 players on the pitch at one stage?

Didn't look good, not knowing what player to bring on or take off - not that that alone cost Galway the match. Gerry Fahy is a good man with players and man management, but very poor at sideline decision-making IMO. Haven't trusted him since the minor semi' v. Cork 2 years ago when Galway really should have closed out a large lead in the later stages.

O Curraoin was a loss to the team, as were all 3 Sweeney's probably when they went off. Rabbitte and O Griofa are good players but the former needs to stop shooting from all angles while the latter still doesn't seem to have settled in to adult football properly. No more than the hurlers, the footballers seem to be squandering talent and potentially good teams in recent years. Interestingly, Galway have a motion in before Congress to change the format of the U-21 c'ship, moving it to an open-draw setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Though I'd post the teams

Team Vs Tyrone in the Football. No changes.

1-Adrian Faherty
    2-Kieran McGrath
    3-Finian Hanley (Capt)
    4-K Kelly
    5-G Bradshaw
    6-D Blake
    7-G O'Donnell
    8-G Higgins
    9-J Bergin
    10-G Sice
    11-D Buke
    12-N Coleman
    13-N Joyce
    14-P Conroy
    15-D Cummins

The Hurling team Vs Cork. Two Changes. Smith for Donnellan and Coen for Cooney.

1. James Skehill
    2. Declan Connolly
    3. David Collins
    4. Ger O'Halloran
    5. Niall Donohue
    6. Fergal Moore (capt)
    7. Johnny Coen
    8. David Burke
    9. Andy Smyth
    10. Conor Cooney
    11. Niall Burke
    12. Iarlaith Tannian
    13. Damian Hayes
    14. James Regan
    15. Bernard Burke

Subs:
    16. Jamie Ryan
    17. Padraig Shiels
    18. Tony Og Regan
    19. Paul Gordon
    20. Joseph Cooney
    21. Barry Daly
    22. Davy Glennon
    23. Cyril Donnellan
    24. Aidan Harte
    25. Jason Grealish
    26. Brian Flaherty

If you can't get to Tuam tomorrow the hurling is live on TG4

• Advertisement

Great win for Galway. 2-17 to 2-13 with a late goal and a point to win it. Cyril Donnellan, Glennon and Niall Burke were excellent in the 2nd half but that 1st half will want to be forgotten.

Niall Burke MOTM again, what a player he is proving to be

It will be interesting to see how he does when Canning regains free-taking duties. That goal is a must see if you didn't watch the match.

It will be interesting to see how he does when Canning regains free-taking duties. That goal is a must see if you didn't watch the match.

He's superb at scoring from play too, sure he didn't even take frees in under 21 semi last year and was best player, it'll make no difference

Here's hoping. Had people telling m Glennon was a good prospect before the League and he showed a knack of breaking up Cork possession from full-forward not unlike what Tannion does in the half-forwards.

Footballers lost out to 14 men Tyrone in Tuam. That's no shame though as Tyrone are already promoted to Division 1. Realistically we need at least one more win to not worry about relegation but two wins against Monaghan and Kildare and we're promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

It will be interesting to see how he does when Canning regains free-taking duties.

Maybe Burke will be left on the frees? Get Canning to take the 21's or penalties, but leave the rest of them to Burke.

I just hope that when Canning does come back that the forwards don't start playing absolutly everything into him - that they keep trying for their own scores (within reason of course).

Good to see that we seem to have a manager who can make changes when it matters. Conor Cooney and Regan were doing damn all and were hauled off after 25 minutes, brought on joesph Conney in the second half for Tannion (which I thought was a strange one give Tannion seemed to be getting into the game) and Conney had a hand in both goals. The changes that Cunningham made seemed to work.

Hopefully another good showing next week against Waterford.

Tannian was fine but you could see the attacking was more fluid when he was taken off. Everything started to break for Bernard Burke and Niall Burke.

Good showing so far in the League. We usually do fine anyways but nice to see a new dynamic of names. Waterford really have a lot to play for next week though with their new manager so it could be a banana-skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Kojak wrote: »
    Maybe Burke will be left on the frees? Get Canning to take the 21's or penalties, but leave the rest of them to Burke.

Canning is the best freetaker in the country so it'd be hard to resist putting him back on the frees when he returns. Nice to know we have an able deputy in Burke though, especially now Farragher is not there anymore.

The footballers were somewhat unlucky in that they had 2 goal chances just after half time. If they had converted one of those, they may well have won.

However, there is a lot of failings in that team still. Midfield continues to be a problem, and Bergin was particularly poor there. Higgins did well and is a very good club footballer. But I wonder about the state of Galway football when he is now our leading midfielder. Coleman was also poor, but more worrying, there was a real lack of fight shown by him to win some balls. I was standing on the side opposite the stand [Where we got pelted by hailstones] and there were two balls that he did not even contest that came to him out that wing. In fairness, Mulholland brought him off shortly after that.

I felt Blake did particularly well in the first half, but made two terrible mistakes just before he was taken off. He is still my preference for number 6, ahead of Duane. Blake understands better than any of the other backs how to give good ball to the forwards. Gary O'Donnell [Who in fairness played well] and Gareth Bradshaw are far too eager to carry the ball rather than give it in early. The most dangerous balls came from early ball [usually from Blake] into Conroy. I dont I have ever seen Bradshaw receive the ball and actually let go of it before taking a solo! I wonder if growing up watching Ml Donnellan has had too much of an influence on these guys! I was very impressed with Kieran McGrath, but suspect he may be more suited to a wing back position than the corner.

I thought Nicky Joyce's movement was just awful, terrible. He can score from impossible angles, but his movement off the ball just seems appalling to me; I never noticed this before, has anybody else? Or was it just on Sunday? Gary Sice popped over some serious points in the second half which really isnt like him. Damien Burke was effective in the first half, but poor in the second half. Looking at the subs bench, it was hard to see an alternative there [Certainly if you want a physical presence at 11]

For the next day, I think Coleman & Bergin need to be dropped. They cannot be allowed retain their place after such poor performances. Flynn & Boyle should start. Other than that, I would leave the team the same. I dont believe in wholesale changes. Going with that some players will be lucky to start the next day [Cummins, Burke] but it might spur them on to perform better I think....

Niall Coleman has never been much of a player. Can anyone think of one really good game that he ever played for Galway at senior level? Because I can't. And I'd agree that Bergin's days must be numbered at this stage. He's another one who hasn't had a good game in a Galway jersey for a long time. Time to move away from these fellas and give new, younger players their chance. God knows they could hardly do any worse than what we've witnessed over the last few years.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Niall Coleman has never been much of a player. Can anyone think of one really good game that he ever played for Galway at senior level? Because I can't. And I'd agree that Bergin's days must be numbered at this stage. He's another one who hasn't had a good game in a Galway jersey for a long time. Time to move away from these fellas and give new, younger players their chance. God knows they could hardly do any worse than what we've witnessed over the last few years.

I remember him having a few good games against the auld enemy but that must be 5/6 years ago now. He's player who by in large gives his all but sadly he's the type of player that exemplifies the current mediocrity in Galway football. With him in the team its hard to see us going anywhere. Same goes for a few others, but the question is are they are the best we've got? If they are then its very hard to justify dropping them, unless we have young players coming through who have the potential at least to be better than them. The problem with that tactic is you are sacrificing the current players in the hope of creating a good team in the next 3-5 years. There's no guarantees that will work either.

Its a conundrum that is clearly having an effect on team selections. I get the feeling Mullholland feels between a rock and a hard place. Does he sacrifice the older players or does he throw in youth. He started with youth but appears to have reverted back to a lot of the older lads (forced some would say). Where he goes from here will be interesting. The likes of Colin Forde seemed to be doing alright. O'Curraoin is still injured and Tom Flynn is still about. I would expect the reintroduction in some shape or form of all three and maybe Johnny Duane. That should ensure no more Coleman or Bergin I would think.

Again Coleman puts in the training hours and has made himself available for years. He isn't a great player and himself and Bergin are a midfield just waiting to be dominated (although Bergin did have a decent showing against Meath).

Higgins seems to be good though so hopefully with O'Curraoin and Flynn back he'll be next choice for midfield ahead of Bergin. Dreading the idea of Bergin at full-forward though.

Its a conundrum that is clearly having an effect on team selections. I get the feeling Mullholland feels between a rock and a hard place. Does he sacrifice the older players or does he throw in youth. He started with youth but appears to have reverted back to a lot of the older lads (forced some would say). Where he goes from here will be interesting. The likes of Colin Forde seemed to be doing alright.

It is a fine line alright; how to mix experience with youth. I think Bergin is still worthy of a place on the panel, but I would drop him to the subs after last Sunday's performance and give Flynn a start alongside Higgins at midfield.

Is Forde injured? He wasnt on the subs last Sunday, I was impressed with him last year. Kelly struggled at times on Sunday, and I found it somewhat strange to see him left on. But there were not a whole lot of options on the bench.
    Dreading the idea of Bergin at full-forward though.

Why? His best performance for Galway came at no. 14 against Kerry a few years ago.

I am not down hearted after Sunday's display. I think Tyrone look in great shape, and could put it up to some top teams this year [3/1 for ulster title is a tempting bet to me]. Particularly impressed with their no 6 Peter Harte. And there were some very promising performances in the Galway team [Sice for example]. I believe that Mulholland is on the right track regarding the correct mix of youth and experience.

I do find it strange how M.Martin has fallen so far away from a place on that team. Only a couple of weeks ago, he was putting up a lot of scores, but again on Sunday he wasnt brought on....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The draws for the Senior and Intermediate Hurling championships were made tonight. Some cracking games by the looks of it:

SHC Draw:

St. Thomas' v Gort
    Portumna v Sarsfields
    Padraig Pearses v TAD
    Mullagh v Craughwell
    Beagh v Clarinbridge
    Turloughmore v Liam Mellows
    Kiltormer v Castlegar
    Athenry v Loughrea
    Carnmore v Tommie Larkins
    Kinvara v Ardrahan

Intermediate Draw:

Athenry V Ahascragh
    Eyrecourt V Annaghdown
    Killimor V Gort
    Rahoon V Clarinbridge
    Oranmore V Killimordaly
    Cappataggle V Kilbeacanty
    Kilconieron V Abbeyknockmoy
    Leitrim Kilnadeema V Ballindereen

Another disaster. O'Curraoin is out for 3 months.

http://hoganstand.com/galway/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=164716
    The operation means he'll be out of action for at least twelve weeks, which makes him a non-runner for the May 20th Connacht SFC meeting with the Rossies.

O Curraoin joins Sean Armstrong and Michael Meehan on the sidelines and manager Alan Mulholland says in the Daily Star: "You have an idea of who you will have in various positions and then you get something like that. This impacts on your plan.

"We have different lads who are fit and lads who are not, so we just have to make the best of what we have at the moment."

Looks like Mullholland had him down as a starter at midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Another disaster. O'Curraoin is out for 3 months.

http://hoganstand.com/galway/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=164716

Looks like Mullholland had him down as a starter at midfield.

It's another blow alright. We spoke to Fiontan last Sunday, we'll post the video up on www.tribesmengaa.ie later on.

Disaster. So best case scenario we're looking at Flynn and Higgins in midfield with Bergin on the bench?

Galway (FL v Monaghan) - Adrian Faherty, Kieran McGrath, Finian Hanley, Colin Forde, Garreth Bradshaw, Johnny Duane, Gary O'Donnell, Thomas Flynn, Joe Bergin, Gary Sice, Damien Burke, Nicky Joyce, Michael Martin, Paul Conroy, Cormac Bane

Forde and Bane are back. Some of ye may want to avert your eyes from the number 9 position.

Galway (HL v Waterford) - James Skehill, Declan Connolly, David Collins, Gerard O'Halloran, Niall Donohue, Fergal Moore, Johnny Coen, Davy Burke, Andy Smyth, Conor Cooney, Niall Burke, Cyril Donnelan, Damian Hayes, Barry Daly, Bernard Burke.

No Tannian or Regan.

Galway (FL v Monaghan) - Adrian Faherty, Kieran McGrath, Finian Hanley, Colin Forde, Garreth Bradshaw, Johnny Duane, Gary O'Donnell, Thomas Flynn, Joe Bergin, Gary Sice, Damien Burke, Nicky Joyce, Michael Martin, Paul Conroy, Cormac Bane

Forde and Bane are back. Some of ye may want to avert your eyes from the number 9 position.

Is Higgins dropped or injured? Bizarre if he is dropped. He has been the best midfielder recently.

I am not so sure about N.Joyce at 12 either, it certainly didnt improve things when he was moved out to the half forward line last week.

Is the match definitely in pearse pk? or is there another appeal where that can be overturned?

Personally speaking this team is more towards what I'd like to see. I have issues with Bergin at midfield though. Would have thought that Higgins might be a better option there right now. Good to see Bane and Martin back. We've been lacking firepower recently. I'd say Blake can feel hard done by, although I'd prefer Duane myself. Looks like he might be trying a different dynamic at half forward. Good to see someone who knows where the posts are. We've at least one more natural forward. Coleman will never be one.
    Galway (HL v Waterford) - James Skehill, Declan Connolly, David Collins, Gerard O'Halloran, Niall Donohue, Fergal Moore, Johnny Coen, Davy Burke, Andy Smyth, Conor Cooney, Niall Burke, Cyril Donnelan, Damian Hayes, Barry Daly, Bernard Burke.

No Tannian or Regan.

I have to say I don't understand the Daly experiment, but the manager must see something in it. I would have stuck Joseph Cooney in again. Other than that I can't complain too much going on current form, although I'd have a few worries about the spine of the defense. However, in Cunningham we trust.

Personally speaking this team is more towards what I'd like to see. I have issues with Bergin at midfield though. Would have thought that Higgins might be a better option there right now. Good to see Bane and Martin back. We've been lacking firepower recently. I'd say Blake can feel hard done by, although I'd prefer Duane myself. Looks like he might be trying a different dynamic at half forward. Good to see someone who knows where the posts are. We've at least one more natural forward. Coleman will never be one.

I have to say I don't understand the Daly experiment, but the manager must see something in it. I would have stuck Joseph Cooney in again. Other than that I can't complain too much going on current form, although I'd have a few worries about the spine of the defense. However, in Cunningham we trust.

Can't understand how Bergin is still getting a game at this stage, unless there literally isn't anyone elso available in the whole county under 35, which I find hard to believe. Nicky will ultimately break our hearts, but the reality is he's the one potentially true class forward we have. His head is all over the place thou, & he can be either absolutely horrendous or outrageously brilliant. There's no middle ground with him. I'm still holding out hope for Martin, but the other forwards have either consistently failed to deliver (Bane), or are converted backs or midfielders. Need to win this one to guarantee staying up, can't see us living with Kildare the next day.

I think the spine of the hurling team is doing fine - Collins hasn't put a foot wrong so far (even if he is a more natural half back), whilst Moore is a truly world class defender who would easily walk onto any county team. He was a model for the 6 jersey for years. Burke has done all that has been asked for him and more at 11, even if he did have a ropey first 25 last Sunday. Think Daly is worth persevering with, he has savage pace to burn. Not sure where his best position is, it's probably not 14 alright, but that's what the league is for - to experiment.
    Hurlers have made a solid start so far, but I'm still reluctant to believe we've turned a corner. Cunningham doing a good job so far, but no more that Mulholland he's starting out from rock bottom. It's going to take until 2014 I reckon before we're challenging the big 2 seriously. At least he has cleared out the deadwood from the past 4 or 5 failed campaigns - that was a critical 1st step. I also think that Cannings injury was a blessing in disguise, it made the new lads take on more responsibility than they might not have if he was there. Glad to see Conor Cooney getting another chance, even if he had a stinker v cork. I reckon he will be a big player for us. Also reckon Joseph Cooney is too slow for inter county, although I accept he played v well as sub last w'end.

Can't understand how Bergin is still getting a game at this stage, unless there literally isn't anyone elso available in the whole county under 35, which I find hard to believe. Nicky will ultimately break our hearts, but the reality is he's the one potentially true class forward we have. His head is all over the place thou, & he can be either absolutely horrendous or outrageously brilliant. There's no middle ground with him. I'm still holding out hope for Martin, but the other forwards have either consistently failed to deliver (Bane), or are converted backs or midfielders. Need to win this one to guarantee staying up, can't see us living with Kildare the next day.

Bergin hasn't the legs to last a whole game, so the management probably reckon that they'll try and get as much out of him and then replace him later in the game, (probably with Higgins, who in spite of what others may say, wasn't particularly good last Sunday either). Flynn also is raw and has much to learn about linking up the play with others. He could do with playing football at a higher club level methinks.

Sunday is crucial; beat a Monaghan team who aren't playing well at a neutral venue and there's a fair chance we'd beat Kildare, no world-beaters themselves, in Tuam. Lose to Monaghan, quite possible, and we're in a relegation battle. I thought after the opening game v Derry we'd be well capable of promotion, results since have changed my mind. However, I'd still rather us going up to division 1 and maybe coming down after a season, rather than dropping down to 3. I think the management realise that even minute progress this year is the best they can hope for; just have to wait until better players start coming on stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Is Higgins dropped or injured? Bizarre if he is dropped. He has been the best midfielder recently.

I am not so sure about N.Joyce at 12 either, it certainly didnt improve things when he was moved out to the half forward line last week.

Is the match definitely in pearse pk? or is there another appeal where that can be overturned?

Yes match is on in Pearse Park http://www.tribesmengaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=977:galway-team-named-for-monaghan-game&catid=92:team-news&Itemid=70&Itemid=53

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a worry that we're playing two defenders in the half forward line, and Nicky is more of a corner forward than a number 12. Don't like the look of that line at all. But as much as Nicky can be frustrating he's still one of our best forwards and I'd rather have him in the team than not, because on a good day he can still be very good. And to be fair he seems to have come back with a pretty good attitude this Spring, after looking like he might pack it in last year.

It's very tight in division 2, as I thought it would be. Could still get promoted or relegated. A mid-table finish seems the most likely though. And that would do. I'd be almost as well pleased if we didn't get promoted, as we're not up to competing with the likes of Cork, Kerry and Dublin just now. Division 2 is our level for the time being I think. Important that we don't get relegated though, and a win Sunday would guarantee that not happening. Monaghan aren't really any better than Galway, so a win is doable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement