Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Max got the axe. http://app.strava.com/segments/638157

Normal service resumed - though I can't see anyone taking Cantalach's crown without getting some sort of mechanical assistance.

Agreed ! I think 3rd place on that leaderboard would be the only realistic target for most of 'us' !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Under 5 minutes is my main goal for next year life.

I have a plan. It involves giving up the beer, crisps, cakes, sweets for 3 months, a sh1tload of intervals, a paceman and a 80mph tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Under 5 minutes is my main goal for next year life.

I have a plan. It involves giving up the beer, crisps, cakes, sweets for 3 months, a sh1tload of intervals, a paceman and a 80mph tailwind.

You can have the booze, cake and sweets, but you'll NEVER take my Tayto.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Didn't realise you had to join the climbing competition seperately - just logged my 24,800m to the mix - now we're in 22nd place :D

boo, going down, now in 23d for the year , but...20th for October and on the first page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

Must be nearly impossible now to find a cycle route around GT or GM that doesn't hit a segment somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

i'm in - my mix of new computer and time off injured hasn't done much to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

seve65 wrote: »

That's great, though I've promised myself to only do the hill segments and keep away from the speedy ones after my first crash trying to improve a time a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just joined, I'm uploading the .gpx file from the sportstracker application, it's a bit rough looking tho! It was my 2nd ride after a 2 week break (tummy bug/head cold) and the legs are feeling it now! My 1st spin was yesterday and the legs felt fresh and were telling me to go-go-go, but the body (breathing/heart-rate) was saying no-no-no.

karlmyson wrote: »
    Must be nearly impossible now to find a cycle route around GT or GM that doesn't hit a segment somewhere!
    jeez, 2 days later I just twigged what GT and GM are (glounthaune and glanmire).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Got my new Edge yesterday, just joined. Looks like good fun.

not sane wrote: »
    Got my new Edge yesterday, just joined. Looks like good fun.

and thats how it starts, addiction will follow !

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

Just joined myself, looks good so far, boards group now 19th

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boards are 19th for November - I suspect yesterday's hill challenge helped. 23rd YTD, although currently over 4 billion metres behind the leader one of who's riders appears to have climbed to the Moon more than 10 times ...

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Beasty wrote: »
    Boards are 19th for November - I suspect yesterday's hill challenge helped. 23rd YTD, although currently over 4 billion metres behind the leader one of who's riders appears to have climbed to the Moon more than 10 times ...

Was just looking at his activity log.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1982989

Looks like he went up in a Saturn V rocket!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jimm wrote: »
    Was just looking at his activity log.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1982989

Looks like he went up in a Saturn V rocket!!!

so much for Strava fixing things, I flagged that a couple of weeks ago as a clearly wrong altitude and it's still there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I've tried using the Strava app for Android several times, have yet to be successful. The closest I got was yesterday - I left the house with about 60% battery, the phone died after 55kms (< 2 hours).

Do any of the other sports tracker type apps work with Strava? Not directly, but by saving .gpx files?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

joker77 wrote: »
    I've tried using the Strava app for Android several times, have yet to be successful. The closest I got was yesterday - I left the house with about 60% battery, the phone died after 55kms (< 2 hours).

Do any of the other sports tracker type apps work with Strava? Not directly, but by saving .gpx files?

Cheers

Have you tried running juice defender with it? It might give you enough battery

aquanaut wrote: »
    Have you tried running juice defender with it? It might give you enough battery
    Cheers - have the full pro ultimate or what version of juice defender, it's a necessity on the HTC Desire.

But the only time I could find a GPS signal was with that switched off.

To be honest, I think the Strava app is flakey as fúck, I've downloaded 3 other GPS tracking apps to see if they are any use

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cheers

I used Cardiotrainer on my HTC Desire prior to getting a garmin. This allows you to export and upload gpx files to Strava.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    I used Cardiotrainer on my HTC Desire prior to getting a garmin. This allows you to export and upload gpx files to Strava.
    What was the battery life like with it?

I used RouteTracker this morning - started out with just under 80% battery, in the door after less than 2 and a half hours and the phone died a minute later. Not great really - it means that for a longer Sunday spin (4-5 hours), the battery definitely wouldn't last.

I need the find the best Android app, that uses the least battery. I'll try out that Cardio trainer one tomorrow, and TurboGPS.

What was the battery life like with it?

I used RouteTracker this morning - started out with just under 80% battery, in the door after less than 2 and a half hours and the phone died a minute later. Not great really - it means that for a longer Sunday spin (4-5 hours), the battery definitely wouldn't last.

I need the find the best Android app, that uses the least battery. I'll try out that Cardio trainer one tomorrow, and TurboGPS.

I got a good 4-6 hours out of cardio trainer with close to 100% at the outset, it may be more efficient than some of the others, but by far the best way to improve battery life on a Desire is to install a Custom ROM like Cyanogen Mod.

I did the Sean Kelly 90km with it in 2010, 4.5 hours on the bike plus lasted the drive home - http://app.strava.com/rides/2093653

Cheers yea - I tried putting a ROM on it before, kept failing, wrecked my head completely. I hear ya though, the battery life is appalling on mine, I might give the ROM another go. Any good links on how to do it, I'd be better off trying from scratch again.

Just tried a TurboGPS file, didn't import into Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

MyTracks is quite good, can export to gpx.

Put your phone into airplane mode for all or part of your ride. Makes a huge difference for battery life.

Airplane mode - never thought of that... Will give it a blast.

so much for Strava fixing things, I flagged that a couple of weeks ago as a clearly wrong altitude and it's still there...

they did add a feature I requested, but have failed to get rid of a few dodgy segments I flagged. Not sure if they pay a bit more attention if you have actually ridden the segment. I have renamed a few bad ones I have ridden to something like 'dodgy segment' but having said that it doesnt help with any related calculations. just judging by the support forum they are getting quite busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does anybody use the premium version?

I got a code for a free month but I honestly don't really see the benefit of it. Some "nice" bits but nothing worth the $6 a month IMO...

Does anybody use the premium version?

I got a code for a free month but I honestly don't really see the benefit of it. Some "nice" bits but nothing worth the $6 a month IMO...

I invited a "friend" and got a free month just to see what its like, premium doesn't appear to offer much extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I want to rank all the segments by weight to see if I move up :D

• Advertisement

or by age... (not sure if thats a premium feature)

Advertisement