Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'Arcy asks MD of Radio to remove Nuacht - MOD NOTE #76

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sounds like ray needs to get over himself. probably more to the story though

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How are Ray and the crew meant to work around Nuacht,its not as if its on at the same time everyday of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Expunge wrote: »
    D'Arcy is really foolish.
    Talk about winning friends and influencing people!

Not content with the sneaky beaky parachuting in of two "producers" (with RTE management approval), who are not recognised by SIPTU. Those two haven't done the approved qualification course after a public competition for the jobs they are in. That has got the backs up of the heavily unionised staff in the Radio Centre.

Now he's off to antagonise NUJ members based at R na G - the sacred cow service of RTE.
    It had better keep fine for you Mr. D'Arcy, because I'd say there'll be a few waiting in the long grass. Some of these folks have long memories.

Sounds good to me if it antagonises both NUJ & SIPTU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

Sounds good to me if it antagonises both NUJ & SIPTU

I'm not saying it's not a good thing but in the long run, the Brothers might take him down.
    If his own crappy show doesn't do it first, of course.

If he got straight into his interviews instead of foosterin around for the first ten minutes with disjointed, barely understandable monologues, this wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

How are Ray and the crew meant to work around Nuacht,its not as if its on at the same time everyday of the week
    Exactly. Ray f**k's up the timing of an interview, then rather than admit it was his (or possibly Jenny's) fault, blames the Nuacht, which is on at the same time everyday, instead.

Why not just abolish the Nuacht - why not the news, the sports news, ads, and anything else that might interrupt the flow? (Like music, for example :rolleyes:).

No. Instead Ray goes for what he perceives to be a soft target.

The show is only an hour and a half long, and you're supposed to such a great broadcaster that you're being paid a shedload of money to do it right. So do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Darcy has become a byword for negativity and depressing radio, sucking the life out of every discussion, every observation and every interviewee.

Rte thought they were being clever buying a recognizable name experienced in both codes of TV and radio but in reality they've acquired a jaded presenter showing all the signs of someone who's past his sell by date even by radio one's standards.

Both Jenny and Will are clearly completely blind to Ray's paralysing negativity, which illustrates why they should not have been allowed join him at rte.

As far as nuacht is concerned, it's an outdated depressing relic of a bygone era... Come to think of it Ray and the nuacht have a lot in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bacachb2

Radio na Gaeltachta is the all Irish channel of the National Broadcaster RTE. It doesn't broadcast a " service for the Irish language" .It broadcasts in Irish to citizens of this country who speak Irish, citizens who speak Irish and English There are people all over the world who lisen to the radio station and have never been here Some people with no Irish listen to the music Sometimes when I'm listening to R a G in the afternoon I would check Nuacht on Rte1 as ther aren't headlines on Rna G until 4pm
    There is NO GOOD reason to drop Nuacht in the afternoon because Ray D'Arcy hasn't acquired the skills to transfer from a sensitive issue to a scheduled Nuacht
    It also appears he needs to improve on his technique at introducing the presener of the Nuacht and failing that I think he should apologise properly for the manner in which he did that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Remember all the fuss before christmas about RTE planning to shut lw 252 ? well it could be said that the Nuacht on RTE R1 is the only way irish elderly people in the uk have of hearing their native language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭somejoke

He thinks he owns da place now, some cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Maybe he needs a couple more producers to be able to fit the daily interview around Nuacht.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

This isn't about Ray Darcy and I'm not his biggest fan in the world but he's raised a very good point (if he has).
    It's about choice. I don't want to hear the Irish Speaking news on a predominantly English speaking channel. They have a national reach on FM and a worldwide reach on many platforms so the need for the Irish News to go out on RTE 1 or RTE 2 has past its sell by date. Sure why not throw in the Polish News straight after the Irish News if that's the case. There would probably be more tuned into that. The Irish speaking communityhave there own very heavily subsidised radio channel. Fair is Fair.

Ray Darcy hasn't raised any point here This issue people have with I the broadcasting of Irish language programmes on our National channel has been flagged to death.Thanfully the enforcement of the English language in the Primary school system (started under British rule) has not totally obliterated our culture though It came close enough before the Celtic Revival
    I'm not a fluent speaer but I've enough of the language to follow the programme content on R na G and TG4 and actually some local stations had Polish section s when Polish speakers were in a higher numbers here R na G maybe dependent on public funding but it's broadcast content is independent of any commercial or advertising influences
    How many food /cookery programme s to you see on others channels sponsored by food companies marketing items that are unhealthy ??
    We don't get weather forecast without a bowel of cream being poured over something ina way that would block your arteries by looking at it
    Let's have some Polish language and culture in our programmes
    They would be great and could be slotted in instead of Ray D'Arcy but let's not be disparaging of The Nuacht on our National channel

Ray Darcy hasn't raised any point here This issue people have with I the broadcasting of Irish language programmes on our National channel has been flagged to death.Thanfully the enforcement of the English language in the Primary school system (started under British rule) has not totally obliterated our culture though It came close enough before the Celtic Revival
    I'm not a fluent speaer but I've enough of the language to follow the programme content on R na G and TG4 and actually some local stations had Polish section s when Polish speakers were in a higher numbers here R na G maybe dependent on public funding but it's broadcast content is independent of any commercial or advertising influences
    How many food /cookery programme s to you see on others channels sponsored by food companies marketing items that are unhealthy ??
    We don't get weather forecast without a bowel of cream being poured over something ina way that would block your arteries by looking at it
    Let's have some Polish language and culture in our programmes
    They would be great and could be slotted in instead of Ray D'Arcy but let's not be disparaging of The Nuacht on our National channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

It would have been funny last week if nuacht had announced "An aimsir, beidh sé te inniu agus beidh an grian ag teatneamh. Agus Ray ar a laethanta saoire :pac:... muwhahahahhaha"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bbability wrote: »
    This isn't about Ray Darcy and I'm not his biggest fan in the world but he's raised a very good point (if he has).
    It's about choice. I don't want to hear the Irish Speaking news on a predominantly English speaking channel. They have a national reach on FM and a worldwide reach on many platforms so the need for the Irish News to go out on RTE 1 or RTE 2 has past its sell by date. Sure why not throw in the Polish News straight after the Irish News if that's the case. There would probably be more tuned into that. The Irish speaking communityhave there own very heavily subsidised radio channel. Fair is Fair.

Do you not see the irony in you complaining about choice by not wanting other people have the choice hearing it?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you not see the irony in you complaining about choice by not wanting other people have the choice hearing it?

They can hear on Irish speaking station. The have plenty of choice. That's not a problem. If Irish speaking people had no choice then I'd be on the 3.30 team

Why is it a problem when it's on for such an insignificant amount of time that you'd hardly notice it?

It's never been a problem with any presenter over the decades until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Bacachb2 wrote: »
    a bowel of cream

yum, yum

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    sounds like ray needs to get over himself. probably more to the story though
    he mistimed a serious interview and got audibly angry when he had to cut to the nuacht. I believe the cailin nuacht seemed a little peeved with him over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I am glad that others also fail to see what RTE saw in this guy to bring him back on a (probably) inflated salary.

I just don't like him and some of the rubbish he has spouted over the years. One of the advantages of working is that the amount of times I end up listening to him is very rare (Radio 1 is kind of my default station).

I cannot understand why RTE had to head hunt him when there is other talent out there and not as arrogant in my mind. He probably has a point regarding that slot but that shouls have been sorted in negotiations not in pulic like this afterwards.

RTE would have been far better off developing some younger talent in this slot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

The Gael people will get outraged over a short news bulletin that no one listens to being discontinued.

Gael people? Without being too presumptuous, you are most likely a Gael (person).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If there had been no mention of Darcy and the thread had been called "Should the Nuacht be scrapped from Radio 1 ?", I have no doubt that some posters would have expressed a different opinion.

As soon as his name is mentioned, there are people here who think "whatever the question is, Ray Darcy's opinion must be wrong because I don't like him and his huge salary"

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Poll added to thread.

Skid X wrote: »
    If there had been no mention of Darcy and the thread had been called "Should the Nuacht be scrapped from Radio 1 ?", I have no doubt that some posters would have expressed a different opinion.

As soon as his name is mentioned, there are people here who think "whatever the question is, Ray Darcy's opinion must be wrong because I don't like him and his huge salary"

I don't think so as it's never been raised as a big issue until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

bbability wrote: »

Surely it's everything to do with Ray D'Arcy? He started the show with his usual inane stream of consciousness and half-arsed opinions. He then had a pointless interview with some lad who's never missed a day of school. It was inevitable that the interview with Una Mullally would run into the nuacht at 3.30. Why didn't he start the interview with Una Mullally at the top of the programme, or if that wasn't possible why not start the interview with her at 3.32 after the nuacht? It's a matter of common sense and just a little bit of forward planning. Instead, D'Arcy throws his toys out of the pram and has a hissy fit live on air. It was very unprofessional, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

This situation exemplifies everything that is wrong with RD. He is (while an experienced broadcaster) only 3 months into a new job. Why should someone walk in the door and expect everyone else to change the way they do things because they cant manage their show properly.
    What makes it even more cringey, is the fact he didnt have the basic professionalism to apologise to Una on air, saying we have to take a break for Nuacht and then off air vent. An interview like that is always going to over run because its a well known name and an emotional topic.
    After listening to today fm post d'arcy, you can hear that its a far more cohesive station with good linking between shows. I can only assume that RD was the cause of the tension

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

As mentioned previously, the bigger issue is that it is fairly irrelevant of what was to come on at 3:30 during his broadcast. He is paid a handsome sum of money in which he should be able to organise his interviews and stick to the schedule. The fact that he can not even get the name of the presenter he is handing over to correctly speaks volumes of his attitude, work ethic and the respect he has for his colleagues. "It's nobody's fault and everybody's fault"...ehhh what? It's nobody's fault but yours Ray, you're the only one who messed up.

God knows what happened to that happy go lucky, pleasant presenter that was on The Den all those moons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

he mistimed a serious interview and got audibly angry when he had to cut to the nuacht. I believe the cailin nuacht seemed a little peeved with him over it.

Is that not just down to him being grumpy and not the fault of Nuacht?

Perhaps he needs more producers.

Advertisement