Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'Arcy asks MD of Radio to remove Nuacht - MOD NOTE #76

Options
  • 28-04-2015 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

In one of the papers today that Ray D'Arcy has written to Jim Jennings demanding that Nuacht be removed from the 3.30 slot, Nuacht has been broadcast at 3.30pm on RTE Radio 1 for decades, Val Joyce, Donncha O'Dulaing, Ronan Collins.John Creedon and Derek Mooney never had a problem with it while they hosted the R1 afternoon show.

Should RTE Drop Nuacht from Radio 1 and 2FM 61 votes

Yes. (Tá)
    0% 0 votes
    No (Níl)
    100% 61 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,738 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose when his JNLR figures are released and if he is showing a big gain on Mooney he can make such demands.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suppose when his JNLR figures are released and if he is showing a big gain on Mooney he can make such demands.

The book being released will have 2 months of his show - even the quarterly trading figures which aren't in the public release won't be accurate enough to guess anything from.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

I don't understand why the Nuacht has to be on Radio 1 anyway. RTÉ do run an entire service for the Irish language after all.

M

I don't understand why the Nuacht has to be on Radio 1 anyway. RTÉ do run an entire service for the Irish language after all.

Exactly. Is there English news at 3.30pm on RnaG, if not why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I hope this ends the same way as the demand for the last hour of George Hook's show...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Exactly. Is there English news at 3.30pm on RnaG, if not why not?

I believe he has every right to have it removed. It's well out of date to force the Irish news on everyone at 3.30. If your of the Irish Speaking nature of less than 1% of the national audience they know where to find it.
    With the advancement of technology and most of the nation using modern devices to listen to radio, it's long overdue the bullit. RTE R NA G covers all their needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He has as much right to have it removed as someone working in the canteen with the odd priced soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

When the show first aired in February, D'Arcy said that they had been working on it for the month of January, yet the show sounded like there had been absolutely no preparation at all.... And now three months in, he suddenly decides that he wants to get rid of Nuacht.... You'd wonder did anybody in RTE actually sit down with D'Arcy and discuss what the show was gonna be about and what was expected of him before they started shovelling money in to his account...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yeah I was listening to the podcast of the piece with Una Mullally and I got the impression that he was peed off with having to go to it in the middle of a serious interview.

TBH, if anyone wants to listen to the Irish language news, then go over to RnaG.RTE should not have it on at all to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

jimmyw wrote: »
    Yeah I was listening to the podcast of the piece with Una Mullally and I got the impression that he was peed off with having to go to it in the middle of a serious interview.
    So time the start of the interview accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Getting rid of Darcy would be a better idea. He's floundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I haven't been impressed with his Radio 1 show, but I think Darcy has a point here.

The Nuacht serves little purpose on this show. If anyone wants news in Irish, RTE have an entire Radio station to serve the relatively small number of people who might be interested.

Just because it has always been on Radio 1 at that time does not mean it should remain there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,371 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When the show first aired in February, D'Arcy said that they had been working on it for the month of January, yet the show sounded like there had been absolutely no preparation at all.... And now three months in, he suddenly decides that he wants to get rid of Nuacht.... You'd wonder did anybody in RTE actually sit down with D'Arcy and discuss what the show was gonna be about and what was expected of him before they started shovelling money in to his account...

Nobody in RTE needed to discuss anything with him, he brought his Today FM format over lock, stock and Arthur Murphy! You're bang on when you say there was no preparation at all - it's clear that RTE wanted the man and are prepared to let him dictate the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,371 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Skid X wrote: »
    I haven't been impressed with his Radio 1 show, but I think Darcy has a point here.

The Nuacht serves little purpose on this show. If anyone wants news in Irish, RTE have an entire Radio station to serve the relatively small number of people who might be interested.

Just because it has always been on Radio 1 at that time does not mean it should remain there forever.

Big problem dropping it from RTE1 - it would mean they'd have to dump it from 2FM as well.

I suspect that when TG4 (originally TnaG) and RnaG were being set up that RTE was told that while they'd be able to drop Irish language drama and current affairs programs, they would still have to do Irish language news bulletins on Radio and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Gael people will get outraged over a short news bulletin that no one listens to being discontinued.

Like does anyone actually get their news digest off Nuacht at 3.30 PM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

If D'Arcy doesn't want Nuacht, why didn't he stay at Today fm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Gael people will get outraged over a short news bulletin that no one listens to being discontinued.

Just like everyone getting outraged about the existence of a short news bulletin?

If D'Arcy doesn't want Nuacht, why didn't he stay at Today fm?

Now thats a different debate altogether. I wonder how many listeners RTE lose when they air Nuacht on Radio 1 and 2FM? I'm sure theres a report somewhere showing the drop in listenership.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Something I haven't been able to find is the regulations on how much gaelige each broadcaster is needed to put out during every day. (If such a thing actually does exist)

I know some stations work in gaelige through the 'Top 30' chart as gaelige, Today FM I presume still do the 'creid é nó ná creid' segments and so forth. I can only assume that Radio 1 are also held to this requirement and achieve it by having a nuacht spot at 3:30?

I have no problem with having it on Radio 1, but if the broadcaster really feels that if is damaging to his show (which if it interrupts interviews it probably is), the perhaps it can be moved to a more suitable time during the show, or perhaps worked into a gap between D'Arcy and Drivetime.

Like I say, the nuacht in itself shouldn't be a problem, but if the timing of it is, then that is a problem that can be easily solved witha simple scheduling shift to fit it in somewhere beter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

RnaG has a remit to serve the Irish speaking listenership nationally, and they serve the entire Island on FM. It is not like they are hidden away on a localised DAB service or require high speed broadband. I agree that the bulletin should be removed, or that other bulletins should be dramatically reduced.

I believe that it is kept, and promoted, especially on 2FM, so that they can jump on the 'supporting an Gaeilge' bandwagon when SnG comes around each year.
    There's no need for it to be kept in its current form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

He has a point. It would be one less button for him to press and therefore one less chance to mess it up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

actua11 wrote: »
    I know some stations work in gaelige through the 'Top 30' chart as gaelige, Today FM I presume still do the 'creid é nó ná creid' segments and so forth. I can only assume that Radio 1 are also held to this requirement and achieve it by having a nuacht spot at 3:30?

RTE's licences are not the same as commercial licences, BAI requirements for content don't exist as a result. Lyric wouldn't get close to any of them if they did - Irish content, Irish music content or news/current affairs content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

bbability wrote: »
    Now thats a different debate altogether. I wonder how many listeners RTE lose when they air Nuacht on Radio 1 and 2FM? I'm sure theres a report somewhere showing the drop in listenership.

I agree. Similarly I always switch from 'Drivetime' when the 'Angelus' comes on, and if Matt Cooper can then hold my interest I'll stick with him. I wonder how many listeners RTE loses each day because of that nonsense, as well as 'Nuacht'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

BPKS wrote: »
    He has a point. It would be one less button for him to press and therefore one less chance to mess it up.

But what will he blame the fragmented nature of the show on if the nuact isn't broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Addle wrote: »
    But what will he blame the fragmented nature of the show on if the nuact isn't broadcast?

One of his many producers?

M

They should just alternate the news on Radio 1/2FM so every 2nd news on the hour is in Irish and scrap the half hourly bulletins, problem solved.

I also feel that RNaG should have an English language obligation to play the same amount of English language radio as the others have to play in Irish, this would help those who have no English and would like to learn the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

It really should stay, Its a variety station and this is part of the variety and a very important part of our culture. I always like to hear some Irish on Irish radio. You could tune to BBC if you want to hear about the royal baby in English.

AlanG wrote: »
    It really should stay, Its a variety station and this is part of the variety and a very important part of our culture. I always like to hear some Irish on Irish radio. You could tune to BBC if you want to hear about the royal baby in English.

Actually BBC serve the Welsh and Scottish speakers very well indeed. BBC Alba has proved a big success. But I don't see BBC Radio Scotland or Wales playing a News bulletin in Welsh or Scottish during mid afternoon. There are far more important matters to address in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

D'Arcy is really foolish.
    Talk about winning friends and influencing people!

Not content with the sneaky beaky parachuting in of two "producers" (with RTE management approval), who are not recognised by SIPTU. Those two haven't done the approved qualification course after a public competition for the jobs they are in. That has got the backs up of the heavily unionised staff in the Radio Centre.

Now he's off to antagonise NUJ members based at R na G - the sacred cow service of RTE.
    It had better keep fine for you Mr. D'Arcy, because I'd say there'll be a few waiting in the long grass. Some of these folks have long memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

bbability wrote: »
    Actually BBC serve the Welsh and Scottish speakers very well indeed. BBC Alba has proved a big success. But I don't see BBC Radio Scotland or Wales playing a News bulletin in Welsh or Scottish during mid afternoon. There are far more important matters to address in English.

Far more important issue to discuss? at 3.30, on Radio 1, on the Ray Darcy Show??

What are peoples issues with this
    Is it because it's Irish
    Is it because its 3.30 news slot
    Is it because Ray wants it

There is nothing to be getting hot and bothered about a brief Irish news slot. Hit the button and turn back when that gets too boring, or just hold on if you are interested in Rays show.

Advertisement