Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Icaras wrote: »
    Even the
    walking out the door ending
    was fine for me (I youtubed it) but the other one I was just disappointed with.

Well you should feel disappointed! Considering your character just
    got burned alive after being manipulated by some pretty corrupt gods to keep them in power a little bit longer! Seize your destiny as a Darkwraith!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Question about finishing it, once it's done is that it, or can you still wander around levelling up and the like? or do you have to start a new game from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Start a new game +. everything carries over + the game gets harder :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    Question about finishing it, once it's done is that it, or can you still wander around levelling up and the like? or do you have to start a new game from scratch

Once you've faught the final boss it's straight into NG+. I think you can do that about 7 or 8 times with enemies getting tougher each time.

You'll fly though it though, I was in Anor Londo in under 3 hours I think on my second playthrough.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Once you've faught the final boss it's straight into NG+. I think you can do that about 7 or 8 times with enemies getting tougher each time.

You'll fly though it though, I was in Anor Londo in under 3 hours I think on my second playthrough.

Oh right, so it's the enemies but the world stays as you left it when you finished? or do you still have to ring the two bells and all that jazz. I was in Anor Londo and now am in the painted world place, just at the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh right, so it's the enemies but the world stays as you left it when you finished? or do you still have to ring the two bells and all that jazz. I was in Anor Londo and now am in the painted world place, just at the boss.

you start from scratch back in your jail cell, so yeah you have to ring all the bells again. You keep all your gear though, so you won't have to find all your weapons again.

And before you kill said final boss, kill EVERYONE. Every NPC, every Covenent saint, EVERYONE!!! :mad::mad::mad:

(because that all resets in NG)

Ornstein and Smough :eek: what a boss fight, the music is friggin' epic.

Ornstein and Smough :eek: what a boss fight, the music is friggin' epic.

Found them to be one of the toughest bosses in the whole game. Don't remember the music though. :(

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Found them to be one of the toughest bosses in the whole game. Don't remember the music though. :(

Epic stuff, makes the fight even more intense. I can kill Ornstein but when Smough gets stronger it's a pain, Knight Solaire is earning his stripes though lol

Finally killed Sif too, was back that way as kept forgetting to buy the box where I can fix my own weapons so got one from the blacksmith, went to Darkroot and demolished Sif. Ahhh this game is so satisfying when you conquer something that was kicking your ass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't remember that music either, as i was too busy loudly cursing the game :o

Pretty cool though.

*grumble* fat buddha lookin motherfcuker *grumble* :mad:

I did it the other way and killed Smough first but that was even worse, Super Ornstein is even harder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You get way cooler armour doing it that way though. I tried it multiple times, but could never manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Smough is vulnerable to lightning while Ornstein is vulnerable to Fire. If you have a good upgraded Pyro Flame Super Ornstein can go down quickly.

Smough is vulnerable to lightning while Ornstein is vulnerable to Fire. If you have a good upgraded Pyro Flame Super Ornstein can go down quickly.

I have pyro +3, tend to stick to melee with the odd spells for long range. I have great heavy soul arrows though, they just take a second to fire

If you have a scimitar or falchion, bring it up to +10 and take it to the Giant Blacksmith near the fog gate to Smough and Ornstein and ascend it with the Soul of Quelaag to Quelaag's Furysword! It friggin rules if you're running a dex build! Does decent fire damage which wrecks poor Ornstein. Kill Smough first though if you can, as MegaOrnstein drops a nifty ring if you like to use pierce weapons!

I used queelag's soul for souls earlier, was stuck and needed to bring up some weapons. I might go farming titanite chunks just to bring up my crystal halberd to +4,the Zweihander is great for the big knights in Anor Londo, takes them down in 2 hits

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I used queelag's soul for souls earlier, was stuck and needed to bring up some weapons. I might go farming titanite chunks just to bring up my crystal halberd to +4,the Zweihander is great for the big knights in Anor Londo, takes them down in 2 hits

Be careful relying on the crystal halberd - I think you can only level it up to +5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Oh my God. The memories of Ornstein and Smough still haunts me. That was the fight that took me longest to get through, dat satisfaction after though :pac:

Forget which is which but found killing the small quick guy 1st was the easiest way. Tis handy enough to dodge fatty when he goes in to super mode. Small guy is too quick and nifty!

Ps, really have to get around to picking this back up and completing it!!!

I have pyro +3, tend to stick to melee with the odd spells for long range. I have great heavy soul arrows though, they just take a second to fire

If you freed Big Hat Logan from Sen's Fortress you should be able to get access to some awesome spells (if you have high enough intelligence). If you did free him then he is with Griggs at Firelink Shrine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Forget which is which but found killing the small quick guy 1st was the easiest way. Tis handy enough to dodge fatty when he goes in to super mode. Small guy is too quick and nifty!

Super Ornstein isn't too bad if you tackle him like Sif and hug his legs. He only really has one move then you need to watch out for.

If you freed Big Hat Logan from Sen's Fortress you should be able to get access to some awesome spells (if you have high enough intelligence). If you did free him then he is with Griggs at Firelink Shrine.

Yeah he's there, I'm levelling up my intelligence mostly now, must get that spell that surrounds you with the little balls of light and the soul spear, seen them being used on a walkthrough and they look the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Some testament to a 2 year old game when this thread is still going strong.

I'm probably going to get a PS4 in the new year when the dust and hype settles. Until then I've decided to get games I've missed first time round for my 360.

First 2 "missed" games: Red Dead Redemption GOTY Edition and Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition. Got the two for under €40 from Amazon, heading my way in the next few days.

Can't wait to play Dark Souls! :D And I have no idea how I missed it and RDR first time around.

Any links to beginner's tips to ensure I start on the right foot?

Yeah he's there, I'm levelling up my intelligence mostly now, must get that spell that surrounds you with the little balls of light and the soul spear, seen them being used on a walkthrough and they look the job.

Definitely the Soul Spear if you can, it's probably the second best direct damage spell in the game (first being the upgraded version - Crystal Soul Spear). Equip the Bellowing Dragon Crest Ring (bought from Griggs) and equip the Crown of Dusk if you have it (from Dusk of Oolacile if you met her). Your spell damage will increase by 40-46%.

I'm probably going to get a PS4 in the new year when the dust and hype settles. Until then I've decided to get games I've missed first time round for my 360.

First 2 "missed" games: Red Dead Redemption GOTY Edition and Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition. Got the two for under €40 from Amazon, heading my way in the next few days.

Can't wait to play Dark Souls! :D And I have no idea how I missed it and RDR first time around.

You're offered a free gift at the beginning of the game, take the master key, it's the handiest of them and unlocks a few helpful places early on. It's a game that isn't hugely user friendly as a lot of stuff isn't really explained very well early on, so a wiki is handy, IGN have a good one for some early pointers unless you want to experience it completely blind.

Oh and prepare to die. A lot. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Make sure you use the wiki for everything and plan at the start of the game what type of character you want to build, no point levelling up your strength if you plan on using dex weapons for example. Don't watch too many videos on the game either as it'll spoil that sense of surprise you constantly get as you progress

Avoid using any of the unique souls if you can. You can always grind for souls, but the unique souls are better used to ascend to boss weapons. Take that Zweihander to the same blacksmith though, and ascend it at +10 to a lightning Zwei, it's SICK!

Avoid using any of the unique souls if you can. You can always grind for souls, but the unique souls are better used to ascend to boss weapons. Take that Zweihander to the same blacksmith though, and ascend it at +10 to a lightning Zwei, it's SICK!

Yeah I wish I knew then what I know now about the boss souls, ah well, that'll be handy for the 2nd playthrough :D

Also if you don't want to make any boss weapons and need souls be sure to hold onto them as
    Kingseeker Frampt can sometimes give you more souls if you feed them to him instead of consuming them yourself.

• Advertisement

Yeah I wish I knew then what I know now about the boss souls, ah well, that'll be handy for the 2nd playthrough :D

Exactly. And it sounds like you're doing more of an INT/STR build anyway. The two swords that you can make from Quelaag's Soul are DEX weapons. Oh, in case you haven't realised yet, whenever you meet any boss that looks vaguely like a dragon, cut its tail off for a unique weapon. The most important ones for you being Seath the Scaleless and if you have the DLC, Black Dragon Kalameet. Both are really hard to do, but the weapons are incredible for INT and STR builds.

Advertisement