Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fantasy cycling infrastructure upgrades

Options
  • 24-06-2014 1:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭

inspired by the thread on the north quays plan, what *one* change would you make to make cycling easier in dublin (or wherever you find yourself)?

i'm sure there are quite a few holes which could be picked in it, but a cycle lane alongside the M50 would be useful - far fewer junctions than any other road to deal with, and it runs near or through multiple population centres and business parks/industrial estates, which would mean it would probably be useful for work commutes.
    plus, it'd hopefully be easier to create a segregated cycle lane that would not have to interact with vehicular traffic (with the obvious exception of the west link bridge, which is a pinch point).

for example, i know a few people who live in blanchardstown/castleknock who work in or near parkwest/naas road, and it'd be much quicker than public transport, which iirc is a two-leg option if you want to do that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

What is the ultimate goal, and who are you aiming it at? Existing cyclists, or to tempt new cyclists?

I do like the idea of an M50 type route, but I would like to see all the existing infrastructure improved, but for me, the biggest change would be in education of all road users, and enforcement of the existing legislation for all road users. Once we all share the road in a safe and effective manner, there is no need for additional infrastructure. Infrastructure would be a quicker "fix" for this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Proper bike racks that are secure in as many places as possible and coffee stops wherever I need a coffee, cake or pee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

idiottje wrote: »
    What is the ultimate goal, and who are you aiming it at? Existing cyclists, or to tempt new cyclists?
    either or.

I would have to go with parking protected segregated lanes in the city centre similar to the new lanes in large parts of NYC, and making the majority of driving roads in the city centre (5km radius from O'Connell Bridge for example) one way only. The aim of cutting Co2 emissions in the city centre, and as previously posted in other forums, making newer cyclists, in particular new women cyclists feel safer.
    As I am writing this, I am thinking that one thing is not the fix, because in order to make this work, other facilities such as P&R and increased Dublin Bike scheme bikes further out would be needed to make all this work. When is there a magic silver bullet when you need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Giant fans down the sides of every street so there's always a tailwind.

• Advertisement

The promotion of Dublin Bikes for other purposes, like this one from NYC ....

http://www.businessinsider.com/citi-bikes-soulcycle-homeless-2013-6

Okay not a runner, and not appropriate .... I'll get me coat ....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Fixing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Introduce a congestion charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I thought this thread was to do with the velogames fantasy cycling competition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Smooth tarmac in Wicklow.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

20m wide one way cycle paths with direct tunnels I.e. no diversions or having to manoeuvre past exits along the N3 and N4.

The idea being to open up the suburbs and satellites fir mass commuter cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Designers responsible for cycle paths should to be cyclists. I seriously doubt that this is currently the case judging by the "quality" of some of the cycle ways in my area. Kerbs, jumping between both sided of the street, useless peeling off red macadam, lighting poles/signs in the centre of the path and so on. Anyway I'm happy to see more cycle paths in Cork area even if I'm mostly driving around the city :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

20m wide one way cycle paths
    that's about the equivalent of six motorway lanes in width!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A bit of cleaning, repair and maintenance would go a long way.

Upgrading of the canal tow-paths around the country for use as cycle tracks.

Upgrading of abandoned rail lines for use as cycle tracks (starting with the remains of the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway ;) )

A proper, signed coast to coast cycle route

Completion of a the Sutton to Seapoint Cycle route

......and a two way cycle track on the North Quays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

20 % reduction in motor traffic. OK 25%. People friendly speed limits in urban areas.

The speedy invention of teleportation to make road haulage and goods vehicles redundant .

Everything else will work itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

that's about the equivalent of six motorway lanes in width!

Dream big bro.

Also that's allowing for the inevitable illegal obstruction of same space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Maybe a 20 km long ramp rising up to about 1000 m with loads of long sweeping sections and a few tough +10% segments and a cafe at the top and a CRC / Wiggle outlet at the bottom. It is fantasy, right....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Convert all bus lanes to cycle lanes. No buses. No taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Contra-flow cycle lanes on every one-way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

If we're fantasizing how about good quality cycle paths alongside every N road in the country. Good quality means not having to deal with high speed slip roads, and a painted on yield sign at every junction doesn't cut it. Underpass, overpass, magic traffic pixies...I don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

A better education of the rules of the road for motorists, cyclists and an Gardaí alike.

But more realistically, some better routes through the city to get me out of, and around it. Nothing as depressing as mapping a route through the suburbs of Blanch, Tallaght or Finglas to get to the real stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

On wet days a roof with a giant suction machine to dry the road before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Transport:
    really good design guidance, with teeth (legislation) to ensure:
    1) that the manual has to be followed to the letter for all new projects (no compliance, no funding)
    2) that old stuff has to be torn up and replaced with something better if it falls not just below the current minimum standards for new stuff, but also below the minimum standards for old stuff (which would be set lower, but high enough for only stuff which is genuinely useful to survive)

If any infra below minimum standards was basically illegal and had pretty much the same status as a building without planning permission, a lot of individual issues would eventually resolve work themselves out...kissing gates to ploughshares and all that

Sort out the quality control and we'll eventually get quality.

Tourism:
    A child-friendly source-to-sea Shannon route that's all on cycle paths, or on country lanes where access is pretty much restricted to the odd tractor. With playgrounds and picnic tables and some bike ferries over the Shannon.
    Cycle paths along river valleys in general - not just on railway alignments and canal towpaths where it's cheap to put them in. We build motorways across forests and fields and national monuments...

And for adult cyclists and older children who don't mind mixing with bit of motor traffic as long as the drivers are sane and the speed limits appropriate: a 3000 km bike route version of the Wild Atlantic Way, and an inland network of designated and signposted bike routes where drivers are alerted to the fact that they're on bike routes (preferably not all called "Route 1", "Route 2" and "Route 3", but something more exciting.) And signposted in both directions, not just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Team car for every spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ror_74 wrote: »
    People friendly speed limits in urban areas.

Related to that, the thing I'd like to see is a cheap version of the technology Google obviously already has to make cars "aware" of the speed limit of the road they're currently on, and then use it to make it impossible for the driver to exceed that speed.

Perhaps for emergency purposes (such as, I don't know, being chased by the Bilderberg Group?), you would be allowed to exceed speed limits three times a month.

buffalo wrote: »
    Contra-flow cycle lanes on every one-way street.

Especially Windsor Terrace at the west end of the Grand Canal cycleway.

Now I think about it, Jon Ronson was pursued by agents of the Bilderberg Group at a very leisurely pace, so there's no reason for exemptions for investigative journalists peering into the secretive world of global power brokers.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Related to that, the thing I'd like to see is a cheap version of the technology Google obviously already has to make cars "aware" of the speed limit of the road they're currently on, and then use it to make it impossible for the driver to exceed that speed.
    that sounds potentially dangerous, in the context of overtaking; i don't think it's unreasonable to briefly exceed the speed limit while overtaking if it means a quicker overtaking manouvre. if you're 75% of the way through it, and someone pulls out onto the road ahead of you, it's probably much safer to floor the gas than to stand on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

All triggered traffic lights should be sensitive to bikes, even lightweight carbon frames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Travelators on all hills.

Advertisement