Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys in High Heels

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

heathersissy79, while personally I wouldn't have a problem with you trying on ladies shoes in a shop where I was shopping, I'd actually be worried for you.

There are a lot of pretty open minded ladies on this thread, and some not so, but my worry would be that someone would respond to you aggressively. I would hate to see you in a position where some generally phobic individual saw you trying on women's shoes in Penneys, decided you were an "effin queer pervert" or some such and then decided to demonstrate verbal or physical aggression towards you.

For instance, I would be afraid a male security guard would take it upon themselves to remove you forcibly from the store because they felt you were exercising some sort of sexual perversion in a public place, and moreso because they felt you were trying to intimidate the women around you.

All I'm saying is don't assume the open-minded wimmins of the Ladies Lounge are representative of the average bunch of shoe shoppers in Penneys on any given day. Personally I would love it if this were a live-and-let-live sort of world, but it isn't and I'd hate to hear of you being on the receiving end of the expression of someone else's ignorance all because of a desire for shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Why not explain your situation to the sales assistant and request to try on shoes behind the closed doors ie. the fitting rooms when it's not too busy?

You'd have to hope for a pretty open-minded assistant who is willing to help you out, and that the shop don't mind of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Awwh poor pet!!!

I am the kind of person whom ignores EVERYone around me while shopping so tbh i wouldnt notice,

I think, you should try them on. We live in a fairly free country, we have the right to choose our own clothes, our own homes, jobs, partners etc. why must we as a whole be closed minded when it comes to these things.

We hide behind clothes because thats what the western world has told us to do, clothes is no longer just a means of staying warm, it is a statement of whom you are and how wealthy you are! I go to penneys and buy mens shorts, hoodys and t shirts, no one would pass a comment, and if i saw a man buying womens clothes and shoes i wouldnt look twice.

I do not believe in double standards, but as has been said, no one here would like anything to happen to anyone.

So if its just a matter of there being awful, closed minded fools out there, shop on the south side of dublin city, and in cork (im from cork) i would imagine you'd be fine, one of my best friends dances in the grorge and rubies and buys pumps and such in pennies...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Perhaps asking to see the shift manager and checking if they were ok with it wouldn't be a bad idea, but at the same time it's a shame to have to do this since as I've already said, you're not hurting anyone or warping their fragile little minds or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Do you not have a female friend to go shopping with Heather? A woman with you would diffuse the entire situation.....you'd be invisible. Many women take a size 7, I do myself, so a size 7 friend would be ideal.

Don't buy them in Penneys though, get some decent heels that wont cut your feet. Trust me, I love shoes, and cheap ones never love you back:).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi Heather. I agree that if you have a female friend to go with you, all the better. Otherwise I reckon people would be more likely to be curious, stare, and snigger. Hell I'd probably stare at first in spite of myself because a man trying on heels is unusual. That said, I'd have no problem with it and would go with you and have fun choosing em if you were a mate of mine. :)

I also agree that you might get hassle, which would be terrible and I wish there was no reason to think that, but the general population may not be all that tolerant of you. People who behave outside of the norm make others nervous. Stupid though that is.

And finally, I agree that Penneys might have cheap shoes, but god will they kill your feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭heathersissy79

Hi there,
    Just to let you know I finally built up the courage to try on women's shoes while completely dressed as a guy. I was wearing black tights but otherwise I was my usual male self. I tried on a pair of black and white open toe pumps in Dunnes Henry St. Only one woman saw me - I was blushing furiously and trying to avoid eye contact! Also tried on a pair of patent oxford heels in Miss Selfridge - I was seen by quite a few in their but again no negative reactions. I didn't buy either in the end! Next stop Penneys!
    H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Hi there,
    Just to let you know I finally built up the courage to try on women's shoes while completely dressed as a guy. I was wearing black tights but otherwise I was my usual male self. I tried on a pair of black and white open toe pumps in Dunnes Henry St. Only one woman saw me - I was blushing furiously and trying to avoid eye contact! Also tried on a pair of patent oxford heels in Miss Selfridge - I was seen by quite a few in their but again no negative reactions. I didn't buy either in the end! Next stop Penneys!
    H.

Courage takes many forms Heather. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

newestUser wrote: »
    I used to work as a sales assistant in a shoe shop. We had a guy who'd come in occasionally to try on thigh-high leather boots. He was a cult figure amongst the staff, and would be instantly recognised when he came in. Nobody would say anything to his face, but people would be nudging each other, whispering, cracking up laughing in the stock room, the manager would be pushing floor-staff with a big grin on his face to go up to him and ask if he needed any help (more out of amusement at the prospect of seeing floor-staff squirm than any nastiness towards the guy, this manager was gay so probably could empathise with someone being labelled as odd)...

If you're in Dublin, I would guess this is what's likely to happen if you do something similar. However, if you're in a town in the country, all bets are off. I haven't a clue what would happen.

Oh yeah because we're all so small minded and backwards in "the country". Sure we'd only be in buying wellies anyway, you wouldn't find anything as modern as high heels outside Dublin! You couldn't be wearing them fancy shoes out in the fields now when you're going out to shag milk the cows!!

Yes you're right you 'haven't a clue' but then they do say ignorance is bliss - you must be one seriously happy camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

newestUser wrote: »
    I used to work as a sales assistant in a shoe shop. We had a guy who'd come in occasionally to try on thigh-high leather boots. He was a cult figure amongst the staff, and would be instantly recognised when he came in. Nobody would say anything to his face, but people would be nudging each other, whispering, cracking up laughing in the stock room, the manager would be pushing floor-staff with a big grin on his face to go up to him and ask if he needed any help (more out of amusement at the prospect of seeing floor-staff squirm than any nastiness towards the guy, this manager was gay so probably could empathise with someone being labelled as odd)...

If you're in Dublin, I would guess this is what's likely to happen if you do something similar. However, if you're in a town in the country, all bets are off. I haven't a clue what would happen.

Oh yeah because we're all so small minded and backwards in "the country". Sure we'd only be in buying wellies anyway, you wouldn't find anything as modern as high heels outside Dublin! You couldn't be wearing them fancy shoes out in the fields now when you're going out to shag milk the cows!!

Yes you're right you 'haven't a clue' but then they do say ignorance is bliss - you must be one seriously happy camper.

By the way OP, good on you for trying on the shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Urgh, the thought of horrible man feet in womens' shoes grosses me out tbh.

Sorry, I didn't take my PC pills today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

What would you think if you saw a guy trying on high heels in say Penneys or Miss Selfridge? Not a crossdresser but a guy dressed in regular clothes?

To be honest, you'd look like a complete tool. Or a pervert.

But if you care what other people think then I'd say cross-dressing isn't for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How helpful.

Do people really give a shit what men choose wear on their feet. Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

The reason I ask is because I plan, in guy mode, to try on shoes in Penneys and Miss Selfridge. I'm a crossdresser and would like to know if they fit before buying. I go for high heels so there's no way they would be mistaken for male shoes. I just wonder with girls giggle or get angry or remain indifferent. I don't want to be kicked out of the shop either!

What size feet have you got?

I think womens shoes in Pennys only go up to an 8.

If I saw ya I would think "theres a cross dresser shopping" blah..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

But then again, Im not easily shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭heathersissy79

Thanks for any supportive comments. Yeah Penney's only go up to size 8 but I'm a size 6 or 7 female so that's no problem. It depends on the shoe - some I fit 6, others 7. I only managed to put one on last time but next time I'll try and put both shoes on and have a little walk to check them!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But if you care what other people think then I'd say cross-dressing isn't for you.

Thank you for that wonderfully insightful comment. If you have nothing of a higher standard than that to add, then perhaps this isn't the forum for you and you'd feel more at home posting somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sondal

Thanks for any supportive comments. Yeah Penney's only go up to size 8 but I'm a size 6 or 7 female so that's no problem. It depends on the shoe - some I fit 6, others 7. I only managed to put one on last time but next time I'll try and put both shoes on and have a little walk to check them!

fair play for being open and honest. My friends husband is a regular secret cross dresser. At the beginning she was shocked, but then it became more frequent she accepted his odd quirk. Its better than having to put up champions league football every night with average looking guys like robbie keane that could do with some make over.
    I agree, avoid chepo stores like penny's, and in Dublin it would be best to try out the shops in the morning. It good to see broadminded posters. Live and let live i say Heathersissy

Advertisement