Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys in High Heels

Options
  • 27-06-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

What would you think if you saw a guy trying on high heels in say Penneys or Miss Selfridge? Not a crossdresser but a guy dressed in regular clothes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They make his calves look huge?

Pics or work?

Seriously, WTF!

Was it Eddie Izard?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I would tell him not to buy his heels in Pennys, that they will cripple him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I would think that on a different day he is a crossdresser....

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

irishbird wrote: »
    I would tell him not to buy his heels in Pennys, that they will cripple him

:D:D ROFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭heathersissy79

The reason I ask is because I plan, in guy mode, to try on shoes in Penneys and Miss Selfridge. I'm a crossdresser and would like to know if they fit before buying. I go for high heels so there's no way they would be mistaken for male shoes. I just wonder with girls giggle or get angry or remain indifferent. I don't want to be kicked out of the shop either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

sent you a pm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

The reason I ask is because I plan, in guy mode, to try on shoes in Penneys and Miss Selfridge. I'm a crossdresser and would like to know if they fit before buying. I go for high heels so there's no way they would be mistaken for male shoes. I just wonder with girls giggle or get angry or remain indifferent. I don't want to be kicked out of the shop either!

I'd say you'd get some funny looks.... possibly even direct comments knowing the general clientle of penneys?!?
    Cant see any reason why you'd be kicked out though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

You wont get kicked out (I hope!) but you will definatly get funny looks. I would go on a monday morning or sometime when Its very quiet,it will be more comfortable for you that way.

Maybe ask on http://www.gaire.com/ people may have had more experience with this sort of thing there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

I used to work as a sales assistant in a shoe shop. We had a guy who'd come in occasionally to try on thigh-high leather boots. He was a cult figure amongst the staff, and would be instantly recognised when he came in. Nobody would say anything to his face, but people would be nudging each other, whispering, cracking up laughing in the stock room, the manager would be pushing floor-staff with a big grin on his face to go up to him and ask if he needed any help (more out of amusement at the prospect of seeing floor-staff squirm than any nastiness towards the guy, this manager was gay so probably could empathise with someone being labelled as odd)...

If you're in Dublin, I would guess this is what's likely to happen if you do something similar. However, if you're in a town in the country, all bets are off. I haven't a clue what would happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Dunno if Pennys stock big enough shoes sizes to fit a man - my guess would be max size 8....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I met a friend who is also a cross dresser for a tux fitting once. After he wanted to go look at shoes. He got the most prostitute-y heels I've ever seen in my life. I was a bit shocked at first but it didn't take me long to be grand with it. Bring a female friend who's cool with it with you. It'll completely distract you from everyone else.

Oh and I wouldn't go to somewhere as scumbaggy as Pennys! The shoes ain't all that great for heels (and they only go up to a max, size 8 and they're ain't many of them!)

Definately go early too. Pennys is a nightmare during lunch or at the weekend. Tuesdays a good day

Hi all, thanks for your messages - keep them coming. I fit into ladies size 7 easily enough so I don't have too many probs getting the right shoe size.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Go with a girl, it'll go better if you are laughing and joking with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I would be prepared for negative reactions though. Some people might be freaked out/disgusted/judgemental/complain.

And probably suspicious.

Can't you just buy them and return them if they don't fit?
    Are uncomfortable?

I don't think mens size 7 is the same as womens size 7 though.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Can't you just buy them and return them if they don't fit?
    Are uncomfortable?

I don't think mens size 7 is the same as womens size 7 though.

I thought it was? Hmm, inneressing.

Peared wrote: »
    I thought it was? Hmm, inneressing.

Maybe it is just me, but I'm a 6 in mens and a 6 and 1/2 in womens.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Maybe it is just me, but I'm a 6 in mens and a 6 and 1/2 in womens.

Right so Moonbaby, or should that be *Sunbaby?

Huh?

Huh?

* Ask the druids.

The sun brings light and clarity, I'm definitely a child of the moon. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Ladies
    36-3
    37-4
    38-5
    39-6
    40-7
    41-8
    42-9

Men
    41-7
    42-8
    43-9
    44-10
    45-11
    46-12

Although I think the OP said female size 7 fitted him ok

As far as I know men and women's sizes are different. My male size is bigger than ladies size 7. I can squeeze into size 6 ladies if some clodhopper has stolen all the size 7s!
    I recently bought a pair of oxford heels in Penneys. Like the ones in the pic but with a hidden lace, white piping, and an open toe (not that alike so but the same shape!). A couple of women buying shoes next to me were watching me closely as I selected my size!

OXFORD.JPEG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't mind what you want to wear. I'd probably look at you and smile as it's not something you would see everyday, but I wouldn't laugh at you. I would commend you for being able to do what I could never. Also, I watched a lovely film last week called Kinky Boots. HAve you seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

You'll probably get smiles, laughs & comments, but I doubt anyone will get angry or upset about it, and I'd seriously doubt they'll ask you to leave, while it may not be something we're all used to it does no one any harm. Hope you have fun and get a pair you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

What would you think if you saw a guy trying on high heels in say Penneys or Miss Selfridge? Not a crossdresser but a guy dressed in regular clothes?

I would find it very, very odd, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

I don't think people will be too fussed.
    They might look twice at you, but that'll be it.
    If it was me I might look to see what shoe you pick, but thats just me being nosy and weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

is it that youre worried about reactions or just wondering how people would react to be prepared?

as someone suggested can you not buy them & return them if they dont fit? If i saw a man buying ladies shoes (& not trying them on) I would presume they were for a gf.

Also, stuff in penneys isnt very expensive, if they didnt fit & you didnt return them it wouldnt be a huge loss!

If im honest, i probably would think it was weird seeing a guy trying on womens shoes. i wouldnt make a big deal out of it or anything, but i would probably be thinking "weird".

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

sar84 wrote: »
    If im honest, i probably would think it was weird seeing a guy trying on womens shoes. i wouldnt make a big deal out of it or anything, but i would probably be thinking "weird".

Yeah, me too.

Thanks for your comments whether they're suggesting good, bad or indifferent reactions. You've all been lovely and honest.

In answer to a couple of questions - I haven't seen Kinky Boots but I did see a documentary about the company and it did seem interesting. I might give it a look some time (it'll probably be on Channel 4 at 3am sometime!).

You're right I could just return the stuff but I think I'd find that more embarassing than trying them on - what guy buys cheap Penneys shoes for his girlfriend's size 7 feet! I suppose I could take the financial hit but even €15 is a bit of a waste (unless you're a member of a winning Lotto syndicate).

Also I suppose I'm curious of the reaction. I think it would feel great to try on heels in public. I already get a lot of looks as I peruse the shoe section. I almost tried on a pair in Penneys O'Connell St. on Saturday but there was a woman and her kid there and I didn't want to freak the kid out! I came very very closed to trying on a gorgeous pair of two-colour strappy pumps in Dunnes but I could be seen by guys too and that's a bit too scary. I could feel my feet itching to escape my boy shoes and slip into the heels! BTW a saleswoman in Penneys knows I buy heels for myself as she can barely suppress her giggles as I go to the counter!

I think next time I'll have worked up the guts to try on a pair.
    Thanks again for your messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

if anyone asks, just say you're going to a stag do or somethin where you're actually just havin a laugh. people will just assume that you're buying them in penneys because it's probably the cheapest place to buy them things! hell id believe it! hmmmm... whens the last time i saw a lad try on a pair of girls shoes?? never, and thats why itd actually be very believeable...:p

Advertisement