Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abercrombie and ****ing Fitch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Yeah that's great. Tell me why it's trolling. You're talking rubbish. You couldn't work there either buddy, and it makes you insecure.

Is there some sort of 'Full Metal Jacket' style boot camp people have to go through before they can get a job for Abercrombie?! By the sound of things you work there (or else you've got some sort of warped obsession with people who do), is it like being in the Marines? Do you have a "Hoo-Rah" type saying and a lifelong fraternity? Do they have get togethers of veterans from the Autumn/Winter 2009 campaign where everyone gets drunk and cries about how many good men they lost that year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

They're bland looking clothes you could get in H&M or Penneys - but a bunch of people go mad for them and pay insanely inflated prices because of the name; how is that not twattish?
    I don't understand how criticism of that = begrudgery, jealousy, whatever other unthinking and unoriginal nugget. Surely such criticism is logical and valid? Lots of people with plenty of money would agree.
    If they were really nice, creative designs fair enough, but they're hoodies and other unremarkable-looking leisure-wear. All hoodies are comfortable; that's their function. Wouldn't see the prob with someone having the odd A&F item, but it's the hysteria over the brand apropos nothing that's so silly - the emperor is wearing no clothes, not even A&F.

Btw, some Dublin kids acting/talking American is nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Looks like Akon has a handy earner on the side to go with the music career anyway.

About that American Eagle brand, would that not just become the new Abercrombie when they go out of fashion and then everyone will give it the same kicking as A&F is getting now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

any guesses as to whats going to be the new a&f? clothes u can only get in america, that all the d4s will be wearing 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I like A & F .. There I said it!! My wife and I are lucky to be both in employment and if we choose to buy whatever brand of clothes we like then, so what. I am thirty four and if I am honest if I am treating myself its generally Tommy HIlfiger I go for but that is a rarity due to the expense. I view these brands as a luxury so to be able to go to one of those shops and pick out an item and purchase is a rare pleasure, but a pleasure none the less. It's like being able to go to a nice restaurant for dinner. . . . You can't do it every weekend but when you get a rare chance you enjoy it even better. I am not really sure what the op's beef is....I drive a golf....if I could afford a Beemer or Audi I would. What would you say about my character then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Backlash in 3...2....1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Teenage girls make poor decisions - quelle surprise. A&F were all the rage with the well-to-do kids about five/ten years ago, when they could only be got online or overseas. Now the A&F bubble has burst, so they're opening stores here for the plebs, to get the last few pennies while there's still some interest.The waving and greeting thing was last seen at Apple - another fashion led trend for those with less sense than money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I like A & F .. There I said it!! My wife and I are lucky to be both in employment and if we choose to buy whatever brand of clothes we like then, so what. I am thirty four and if I am honest if I am treating myself its generally Tommy HIlfiger I go for but that is a rarity due to the expense. I view these brands as a luxury so to be able to go to one of those shops and pick out an item and purchase is a rare pleasure, but a pleasure none the less. It's like being able to go to a nice restaurant for dinner. . . . You can't do it every weekend but when you get a rare chance you enjoy it even better. I am not really sure what the op's beef is....I drive a golf....if I could afford a Beemer or Audi I would. What would you say about my character then?

I agree totally.ANY designer brand is like a red rag to a bull these days to the have nots.One poster said he would love to punch every single person on the video(some of whom were children)! If you don't like/cannot afford A+F ,Hollister or Hilfiger ,so what! I don't like Ugg boots but I don't wish to punch/hate anyone who buys a pair.This attitude is nothing but jealousy and begrudgery.If you disagree with a queue forming, don't get on it.I own lots of designer gear but I buy it when I take my annual trip to the US for a fraction of the cost here:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Ah lads, a bit harsh here
    Abercrombie and Fitch deserve some respect for paying that gimp Pauly D from Jersey Shore not to wear their clothes :rolleyes:

Wrong housemate :P
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2026937/Jersey-Shores-The-Situation-offered-cash-stop-wearing-Abercrombie--Fitch.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

To be fair i think Superdry's gear is much nicer and equally good in quality for a good bit cheaper! Not a hope i would queue up to get ripped off! As stated before these clothes are aimed at teens! The novelty will wear off, unfortunately the bellends wearing all their clobber will never disappear :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

repsol wrote: »
    I agree totally.ANY designer brand is like a red rag to a bull these days ti the have nots.

As designer brands go A&F are pretty low down the pecking order.

The real quality lines don't feel the need to splash their names all over their produce like a walking billboard.

Personally I think people can buy these over-priced clothes if they want but if someone's queuing up outside for an hour to get into the shop when there's no magical discounts or sale on then well they really need to take a step back and take a look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

repsol wrote: »
    I don't like Ugg boots but I don't wish to punch/hate anyone who buys a pair.
    Not even those that walk around dragging them slowly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Barna77 wrote: »
    Not even those that walk around dragging them slowly??

Yeah I suppose so.Only if they are wearing their pyjamas in public as well!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'd like to punch people wearing Ugg boots. They are not practical, not even waterproof!

I enjoy begrudging. I don't enjoy people begrudging my begrudging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I'd like to punch people wearing Ugg boots. They are not practical, not even waterproof!

I enjoy begrudging. I don't enjoy people begrudging my begrudging.

Dunlop are the only job really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Personally I like their Tee's & hoodies cause they are comfortable and the quality is good for what you pay.

That being said, there is not a snowballs hope in hell I would ever queue to get into the shop. I was out in Dundrum yesterday and there was a queue to get in. Ehhh no. I'll just skip past yea? Fook that for a bag of biscuits. I would never queue for a clothes shop.

eth0 wrote: »
    Dunlop are the only job really

Mizuno are up there among my favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

On behalf of the Company... I'd like to thank the club of 'undesirables' that think spending their time on flagrant jealous intenet moaning is such a higher calling than standing in a line to visit a store. Weither you're chubby, old, scrawny, spotty, or some kind of grimy unwashed hipster , I'm sure they appreciate the fact that you don't try and aspire to using A&F's products. Also the entire marketing strategy is aimed at turning such 'undesirables' off so I'd imagine it's a deep source of water-cooler amusement to observe the fact that you've fallen for a different aspect of it hook, line and sinker just like those you're critizing. Feel free to congregate in the central bank plaza and huff glue or whatever you do there while the pretty people pass on by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What ever happened to the day where you wore clothes because you actually like them. Who cares if their clothes are aimed at a certain age group. If I see a shirt I like and it fits me, ill buy it. If you judge me for wearing that shirt because there is a certain logo on it then I pity you.

AMT wrote: »
    Feel free to congregate in the central bank plaza and huff glue or whatever you do there while the pretty people pass on by.

Ah bless. Everyone on the internet is a fat ugly person of course.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

My exploited workforce shirt is of better quality than your exploited workforce shirt because I was charged more than you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hogzy wrote: »
    What ever happened to the day where you wore clothes because you actually like them.

That disappears at about the age of 11-12. Kicks back in about late 20's early 30's.

The clothes look like Ralph Lauren threw giant size alphabet spaghetti over his Casual line.

Very smart shop front, looks great on Dame St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Over priced sweat shop made tacky clothing store opens and the braindread eejits flock to the opening.. consumer nation still alive and well so. Fantastic.

On behalf of the Company... I'd like to thank the club of 'undesirables' that think spending their time on flagrant jealous intenet moaning is such a higher calling than standing in a line to visit a store. Weither you're chubby, old, scrawny, spotty, or some kind of grimy unwashed hipster , I'm sure they appreciate the fact that you don't try and aspire to using A&F's products. Also the entire marketing strategy is aimed at turning such 'undesirables' off so I'd imagine it's a deep source of water-cooler amusement to observe the fact that you've fallen for a different aspect of it hook, line and sinker just like those you're critizing. Feel free to congregate in the central bank plaza and huff glue or whatever you do there while the pretty people pass on by.

Get a grip!!! Moron...

That is exactly the vain, shallow, empty headed type of response one would expect from someone speaking for "the company"! You haven't a notion where people are buying their clothes from or what anyone looks like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Spoken like a true knuckle-head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Over priced sweat shop made tacky clothing store opens and the braindread eejits flock to the opening.. consumer nation still alive and well so. Fantastic.
    You could probably apply same to Nike , reebok etc but that still won't bother those who buy them..

Can't imagine "the company" vouching for ould condecending tripe like that. They're not that bloody thick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

These companies obviously do lots of market research so, as i walked by the new A+F store yesterday, i realised that i am not in A+F's target market due to the awful music, brightness and cheery vanity seeping out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Loike fcuk you guys, A&F are loike the best.

Sitec wrote: »
    Loike fcuk you guys, A&F are loike the best.

Toedally dood. Omigawd loike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Those sheeple in the video made me feel ashamed to be a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Got to laugh at the Irish Begrudgery at this store opening... that's why Ireland will always be a little bit of a backwards country.

Why not be positive, like the USA or Australia? or even embrace the confidence of the UK recently?

Bitter, bitter lot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

So you don't like A&F...get over it. If that is all that is wrong with you in this world...you are very lucky indeed.

The Irish 'High Street' sold out years ago..Tesco, Vodafone, M&S, Denehams and all the usual British multiples. Hell, we were all terribly proud of ourselves not so long ago with the largest shopping centre in Europe in Dundrum.

What's the big deal about A&F?

Cannot disagree with the previous poster...it is depressing to see such small minded bitterness. Get a life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I bought a few jeans and shirts in the USA and they are good quality but I wouldn't pay the prices they charge for it here. And the hoodies and fatman pants that you see so many people wearing are f*cking tragic. I hate them. And Hollister is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

A lot of hate here lads.

The only thing people should be queueing for is a gig, a movie or transport. Anything else and they are open to be called idiots really.

That said I don't get all the hate for A&F. I've a hoody and 2 jumpers by them. 1 Jumper was a gift which was bought about 4 years ago, the other jumper I bought about 3 years ago and the Hoody I bought over a year and a half ago.

All are still in great quality so I think for the price you pay, it's fair enough. Wouldn't be something I'd normally buy and tbh I've kind of gone off the A&F and Hollister stuff but if someone else likes it and isn't stupid enough to queue a few hours just to view the clothes then let them at it.

Haven't read too much of the thread but I would also like to add that I hate how dark all the stores are and the only thing you can breath in is their fragrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I owned a hoddie from there circa 1999-2001 which I bought on a J1 in Boston simply beacuse everyone came back wearing effing GAP hoodies.... That has been my only experience with A&F.Not sure what the recent trend are nowadays..but the GAP hoodie in October was basically:"Hey everyone look at me, look who just spent the summer in Cape Cod"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I don't know if you can call unhappiness of a non equal opportunities employment corporation who sell clothes manufactured in sub contracted sweat shops Irish begrudgerey.

I had a look at the corporate social responsibility report of A&For yesterday, some of it has improved but only due to court orders that it is fairer in its hiring practices. And while they are hiring a more diversified staff, they are still choosing young, beautiful employees off the street instead of ability based screening. Nothing on the report spoke for the inspection of quality levels of the sub contacted factories though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I really don't think A&F need you to speak on behalf of them. Actually, I don't think they would publicly share the same opinion as you in any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

And Uggs for men.... holly jaysus.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Spoken like a true knuckle-head.

True...news to me that it's also an achievement to wear these clothes? (poster mentioned somethign about "aspiring" to wear Abercrombie and something clothes) And there was me thinking my degree worth something...oh dear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Barna77 wrote: »
    And Uggs for men.... holly jaysus.....

To be fair, those sort of boots were originally adopted by bogans and surfer dudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

If people are stupid enough to queue up in the cold to buy overpriced tracksuits, there should be someone smart enough to take the money off them.

There is.

Mr. Abercrombie and Mr. Fitch.

lima wrote: »
    Got to laugh at the Irish Begrudgery at this store opening... that's why Ireland will always be a little bit of a backwards country.

Why not be positive, like the USA or Australia? or even embrace the confidence of the UK recently?

Bitter, bitter lot..

I couldn't give a sh*te about the shop. I'm just laughing at the morons who are queuing up outside the place squealing like it's amazing that a clothes shop has opened.

Let's face it - the sort of person who'll willingly stand out in the cold for hours merely to get into a shop to buy things that aren't even being discounted is never really going to do anything worthwhile with their lives. They're f*cking idiots pure and simple.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I couldn't give a sh*te about the shop. I'm just laughing at the morons who are queuing up outside the place squealing like it's amazing that a clothes shop has opened.

Let's face it - the sort of person who'll willingly stand out in the cold for hours merely to get into a shop to buy things that aren't even being discounted is never really going to do anything worthwhile with their lives. They're f*cking idiots pure and simple.

While i agree that the queuing up is ridiculous i have to disagree with that statement to some extent!! Its these people(or their parents) who clearly already have more money then sense that wind up running the bloody country ffs ha!

While i agree that the queuing up is ridiculous i have to disagree with that statement to some extent!! Its these people(or there parents) who clearly already have more money then sense that wind up running the bloody country ffs ha!

Ssshhh.... I'm riling them up on purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

That video makes me want to vomit violently.. Oh god.. *Barf*

Seeing the queue to just get in and spend money was really sad. Can understand wanting to check out a new shop when it opens but spending hours in the cold to do so is beyond ridiculous. If there was some special discount for the first 10 or something in then it may be understandable but simply to buy over priced clothes, sorry but you're a tosser.

I also can't believe the prices people are paying for the clothes over here. My brother came back from New York a few months back and brought a lot of A&F and Hollister stuff with him. The difference in price is ridiculous. Much as I dislike the clothes he did bring me back a Hollister T-shirt and I must say it feels great to wear. The fabric is really nice and it's very soft, feel kinda ashamed if myself when I wear it. What I've never understood about places such as A&F is that people are paying a lot of money to turn themselves into walking advertisements. There's no re wit or style to the clothes, just their brand name stamped across it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Every second dickhead seems to be wearing their clothes.
    The other half couldn't give a toss shocker?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ciann

Thursday morning, should some of these people not be in work or something? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ciann wrote: »
    Thursday morning, should some of these people not be in work or something? :rolleyes:

The majority look like teenagers and school is on mid term if I'm correct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement