Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battlefield Hardline - Closed Beta - General Discussion

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just to clarify

there are three levels on this issue:

1. Same engine:

titles use the same engine but use their own assets, game design and mechanics: So the countless Unreal engine titles etc. This is the base level for commercially sold titles.

You cannot accuse a title like Bioshock being a TC of Gears of War because they use the same engine.

2. Total Conversion

This is where a game (not the engine) is used as a base for a new title, so a portion of the games core mechanics are kept but there a whole new models, textures and design features

this would be games like the original counter strike which kept half lifes online code, its movement programming (you can spot a half life/source title a mile away simply by going up to a ladder) its gun and explosion mechanics

but there were whole new models and the game design was completely shifted in a new multiplayer focus on a pseudo realism

3. Mod

this is where a game is mostly kept intact but some mechanics are shifted around or a new model/mechanic is introduced

Wasteland on Arma 2 is a great example of this, almost all of its elements are featured in standard Arma but they've been reorganised to fit the wasteland game mode. No new models.

I could see the complaint of Battlefield hardline being a bit of a total conversion, because as I stressed total conversion took a lot of work and for the most part they failed to finish, the list of incomplete tcs that were in some early stage of development for half life vs the finished list is a very clear example of this. It's not a simple task doing a TC, it's pretty much making a new game, but using the original game as a base, you can argue all sequels do that.

You might even argue that they are called total conversions and given out for free simply based on legal grounds, you couldnt take a title that at its core contains another persons work and sell it as your own. Unless of course the original developers approve and support you (Counter strike, gunman chronicles, left for dead)

battlefield hardline total conversion? yeah I'd believe that, but I accept total conversions take a lot of work, much more then the impression the video above gave, and if it guaranteed a final product (remember high failure rate) then the question of it having a monetary worth is valued and should be considered.

the issue though is looking at the full package (the above multiplayer "total conversion" plus a full single player campaign) then it's reasonable to pay full title price if you want that. Problem is even if it sucks (which in most cases it does) you still need to pay for the single player content and that pushes the price up.

there very well could be a version of battlefield hardline that is much cheaper and is multiplayer only, but for some reason EA seem to think we want our single player bull. And we gots to pay for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

After the BF4 single player campaign, I think we all have a fairly strong reason to think paying for a Hardline single player campaign would be a poor waste of money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

6 hours played, all attachments for 2 weapons unlocked (UMP-45 & Uzi). I don't have to unlock each individually like in BF3/4. You just unlock the grip/sight/etc section and then buy whatever you want. Its fairly easy to get the cash by dropping ammo/repairing or playing the objectives. The game is fun but I'm glad I'm not on console since I plan on buying it at a discounted price from a key site.

I like having to unlock weapons & attachments. Mind you I do have a lot of spare time. I'd get bored fairly quickly of a quake 3 setup these days. Besides, Sparks wouldn't have the time (and maybe the reflexes ;)) to learn all the maps & quirks thats required for a twitch em up. He'd just be complaining about that instead.

The whole Mod/TC thing is now very 1990's. By the 1990s definition most modern games would be at best TCs. These days there's only a few game engines, Frostbite, CryEngine, Unreal and maybe 1 or two more. Its just too expensive to write a brand new engine every few years.

MajesticDonkey is just pissed that he hasn't got a key for BF Hardline yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

MajesticDonkey is just pissed that he hasn't got a key for BF Hardline yet :D

Strangely enough I do have one but just have zero interest (and a lack of time at the moment) in actually playing it. :p

I'm definitely not into twitch-em-ups allright DWZ, it's why I moved from CoD to BF in the first place. Why bother with tactics or strategy or outthinking an opponent when some 14-year-old on meth just does that thing where they jump, rotate through 720 degrees mid-air then headshot you from across the map using a 40x scope? :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm definitely not into twitch-em-ups allright DWZ, it's why I moved from CoD to BF in the first place. Why bother with tactics or strategy or outthinking an opponent when some 14-year-old on meth just does that thing where they jump, rotate through 720 degrees mid-air then headshot you from across the map using a 40x scope? :D :P

Well BF3 was as much of a twitch-em-up as BF4 was/is, and BF is going and will be going more like COD as time goes on. Whoever shoots first wins, 95% of the time.

BF3 was definitely worse than BFBC2 but it wasn't as bad as BF4. It's definitely on a slippery slope :(

And you know where it's headed, don't you? A computer networked version of this:

kay-snap-rules.jpg

First 12-year-old to click the mouse button wins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

This is 100% a description of me ........ the first part obviously , not the second . And I really like the term twitch-em-up , it perfectly describes what I don't want to play and also what i am too old to do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Nvidia beta drivers out today which have SLI profile for BF Hardline. Marked improvement for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No chance im paying 70 for this, when its in the 20-30 range on g2play I get it.

Dont understand people wanting a game that can jump in and out of because they have a life. Most people want a game with some depth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No chance im paying 70 for this, when its in the 20-30 range on g2play I get it.

Dont understand people wanting a game that can jump in and out of because they have a life. Most people want a game with some depth.

it was e35 on g2play the other day, e39 at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

My gaming time is whatever I can steal from my sleep time. The time that used to be my gaming time is now used to wrestle a naked poop-covered toddler in the shower so I can get him cleaned up and back into a nappy; so when I don't like facing exactly the same task when I fire up a game to unwind (instead of the more sensible opening-a-beer option). It's dumb, it's stupid, and I do not play computer games so that I can do repetitive tasks over and over again to get to the good stuff (FFS, I write scripts in work to do that kind of stuff for me, why would I go back to the dull stuff on my own time?).

I am in the same boat, limited time but I seriously dont understand the problem in having to use iron sights to get to 10 kills and from then on in you have the beloved RDS.

Also it makes the guns actually different in that you unlock various sights faster depending on where the gun is from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    huh? completely new maps, completely new game modes - if this is not "massive" then I'm lost here
    of course, the game is based on the same gfx engine so it kinda "feels" the same. the scenery however changed, what is this if not a total conversion?

Agree 100%... people moan that it is a reskined model of BF and then others complain that they have changed too much.

Seriously DICE cant win.

I think the idea is good although I am not sure if it will be worth playing... seems a little childish and in a game like destruction should have been ramped up and that is the biggest issue which no-one seems too concerned about

dreamers75 wrote: »

It's a multiplayer FPS.
    Oddly, being nearly 40, I've done the learning curve on those before. Now I just want to play the game instead of doing the tutorial or the unlock dance. I know what an RDS looks like, I've played BFBC2, BF3 and BF4, EA deciding to drag things out is not adding to my enjoyment of the RDS when I finally see it with some sort of anticipation! The fun in the game for me is not the well-rendered animations or the shiny toys, it's the fact that there are other people in the game. They're where the fun comes from, not getting the reticle on the PSO-1 absolutely authentic...

(BTW moz, DICE didn't do hardline, Visceral did...)

If you don't want to commit to a new game just stay with the old one, keep your weapons/attachments and just have fun, there's nothing stopping you from doing that.
    BF4 gave me close to 200hours of play, and I play only 2-3 hours a week. Even at e70 pricepoint that means I pay close to nothing per /h.

If you don't want to commit to a new game just stay with the old one
    Sounds good to me! Oh, wait...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-12-50-ea-games-will-have-their-servers-shut-down

It looks to me like you like whining. Don't get me wrong, but BF2 came out in 2005, that means it's been played for 9 years already.

Ah, so I should stay with the old one, but not the one that's *too* old...
    And it's not called whining, it's called complaining. I have a toddler, believe me when I say I know what whining is...

I've 2 kids - can I call you names now?
    there's been two more BF games after BF2. and yes, it's called whining. whats stopping you playing BF4, or BF3 for that matter?

• Advertisement

Nothing, and I have and do.
    But go ahead and tell me again how if I have a complaint about bad design in a new game, the right thing to do is shut up and keep playing the old one. Go on, please, I enjoyed that so much...

You're complaining about the way the weapons attachments are being unlocked. It's been this way since at least three BF games, the only addition is now you can decide which attachment from a given group you can unlock and in which order.

I fail to see that "bad design" here.

You're complaining about the way the weapons attachments are being unlocked. It's been this way since at least three BF games, the only addition is now you can decide which attachment from a given group you can unlock and in which order.
    I fail to see that "bad design" here.
    That's because you're not actually describing how hardline's unlock system works. You have to earn in-game money and then spend it on the unlock you choose. Okay, that's CounterStrike's system, I can live with that. I've earned a grand, gimme my red-dot sight. Oh no, I can't spend my grand on that, because I haven't enough kills yet on that specific weapon. I need two weapon stars for red-dot sights, and more for other groups. Want an angled foregrip? Ten stars if you please.

I could tolerate the counterstrike buy-your-weapons system. I could tolerate the BF3/4 get-kills-to-upgrade-your-weapon system. Mixing the two? That's not only stupid and awkward and cramping to your play style, but there's only one reason to do that, and Ghost Recon already did it, and it's to give you a way to introduce microtransactions into the game as a more regular thing than DLCs and shortcut packs.

Have you actually played the game? I spent maybe 3 hours in total playing it, but have unlocked most things including weapons and still have 30k left. The way it works now you will always have more money to spend on things. Unless of course you suck at the game.

It's way better than BF3, when you had certain order in which the attachments were being unlocked. Now you can decide and go for the ones you want, not just wait 3 months until you kill 350 people to get certain attachment.

It says I've put in just shy of four hours and have $30k in the bank after my unlocks (which are mostly gadgets that didn't need weapon stars to buy) as well. But because most of my kills are by vehicle, explosives or melee and I spent more time PTFOing than team deathmatching, I can't unlock all the weapon upgrades.

In other words, in a vehicle and explosive-heavy map, PTFOing using the provided environment is penalised; but ignoring the game mode and map resources and just shooting at any target you see is promoted.

Like I said, bad design.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll pay 20 euro for this but I'll be ****ed if I'm paying full price for this

• Advertisement

I don't play DM at all, only PTFO. Just FYI. Don't feel being penalized though.

Good for you. Can I interest you in a pre-order of the digital deluxe premium edition of Hardline so? :D

Got one already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Chaps all this bitching is clustering up the general discussion thread so i've created a new Bitching & Moaning thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057232677

And a Sunshine & Lollipops thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057232680

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'll pay 20 euro for this but I'll be ****ed if I'm paying full price for this

I'm not sure that is how it works I don't think you can haggle. 20 Euro a fake beard and a goblet. Final offer not a penny more or strike me down. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I'm all for modding communities, but sometimes I get the feeling people blow way out of proportion the success rate of mods.
    Having played many hours in the BF42 mod, Desert Combat, I disagree. Sure, some of the mods are fiddly crap, but then some mods that just change the game play such as the Call of Duty modern warfare mod "Obscurity". DC would be more TC than mod, as all the weapons, planes, etc were remodelled.

As with the earlier video, this seems to have modeled a car, and repainted some items.
    so "Natural Selection" for HL was a mod or total conversion?
    Think it was total conversion in the beta, but became just a mod? Not 100% sure.

=-=

Think I have gotten access to the beta. Look forward to playing it when I get home from work. Not 100% if I'll buy it, really depends on when GTA V comes out on the PC. That, and I've uninstalled BF4 a while back as I got bored with it. Hoping Hardline is interesting, but hold little hope.

/edit; just saw ktulu123's post. Thread has been open for a bit whilst logging tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Maybe Dice are rolling out this beta to see if people would be willing to be full price for it? Maybe more people would purchase it if is way say, 40 euros instead of 60? Probably not but just an idea.

Not DICE, Visceral. And if it's a financial decision, neither of them, but EA.

Not DICE, Visceral. And if it's a financial decision, neither of them, but EA.
    I'll probably buy it for three fiddy and activate it through a VPN so that Valve thinks I'm in Russia.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Doing this stuff is the most fun i've had in the game yet :P Enjoy!

Had a quick game there. Surprisingly easy to get C4. Had a bit of fun with the jihad cop cars.

Overall the game play reminds me of CS 1.6, with the objectives ensuring some spots are hot, but with multiple ways to get to the objective. Felt it was more like CS than CoD.

Finding the "rogue" choppers fly like BF42 "Desert Combat" choppers. Hope they keep that.

Advertisement