Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield Hardline - Closed Beta - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

jackoire wrote: »
    If you have not got the beta yea contact EA live chat and got the beta added your account.
    Finally I get to check this out.

Hour waiting time to talk with someone. Think I'll wait until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Beta just appeared in my origin, applied about 1hour after it opened and didn't get any email confirmation from EA, so there's still hope for those waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

fergus1001 wrote: »
    back to bf3 control scheme !! yes !!

That's what I changed the controls to in BF4 when I first played it. Can't stand the default BF4 vehicle controls on the PS4, especially choppers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mad_Dave wrote: »
    Beta just appeared in my origin, applied about 1hour after it opened and didn't get any email confirmation from EA, so there's still hope for those waiting.

Yup, there's mine too finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just got in and had a few goes.

Prefer blood money over heist at the moment.

The map is bloody confusing initially, far too often I was getting flanked or entering rooms not knowing which direction I was going to be hit from.

But I imagine one can get use to that.

Heist is a bit of a clusterf*ck

but blood money was more enjoyable has a risk vs reward system with how much money you grab etc.

which I liked. Would be a lot of fun with friends.

I will say if someone had suggested this prior to BF4 I would have said it wouldnt work.

but post BF4 I see it sort of working just simply cause of the little enviroment features battlefield 4 established which works really well in this game (bollards, elevators, shooting fuse boxes etc)

Though I still have trouble with the games premise and scale and will always. I can convince myself of toy soldiers and play make believe in the army and have these sort of matches but cops and robbers with the weaponary and collateral damage on hand, it' strangely tough for me to accept it when I read about it or watch gameplay, especially the single player footage.

thankfully it goes to some uncomfortable spot in the back of my mind while playing and only resurfaces in my nightmares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

1. played two games
    2. preordered

(g2play has preorder for e35 for PC)

Played a few more games of blood money
    and it really is a fantastic game mode. If you have a team that is even half awake and it does feel like a game mode where a single squad can turn the tide.

the simple fact that one team can not just pull back from the edge of defeat but also win a game is a great showcase for a nailbiting exciting game mode.

It's not like heist where it's very clear that when one team gets the initiative its near impossible to hold them back. Blood money when it becomes clear that you are being trashed in the middle you just change the script and take the fight to their vault.

Though there are some changes I'd like to see:

the mony bags are tiny when dropped, I've picked up money without noticing during gunfights

I might have preferred if there was just one more dynamic to the central money point over simply being an never ending supply at one point.

Either having a set limit to *loose* money and forcing the two teams to start robbing each other after a point or some dynamic to the money (random spawns so its not always in the same place [though clearly the map is designed around that point], or something to shake it up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Played a few more games of blood money
    and it really is a fantastic game mode. If you have a team that is even half awake and it does feel like a game mode where a single squad can turn the tide.

the simple fact that one team can not just pull back from the edge of defeat but also win a game is a great showcase for a nailbiting exciting game mode.

It's not like heist where it's very clear that when one team gets the initiative its near impossible to hold them back. Blood money when it becomes clear that you are being trashed in the middle you just change the script and take the fight to their vault.

Though there are some changes I'd like to see:

the mony bags are tiny when dropped, I've picked up money without noticing during gunfights

I might have preferred if there was just one more dynamic to the central money point over simply being an never ending supply at one point.

Either having a set limit to *loose* money and forcing the two teams to start robbing each other after a point or some dynamic to the money (random spawns so its not always in the same place [though clearly the map is designed around that point], or something to shake it up)

What is the player count on Beta... is it 64 players?

I haven't played it yet and probably won't (PS4 here) but watching the videos it does look very clustered... what about random safes opening on the map meaning you have to race there in vehicles to get it... kinda GTA-ish but so what, beats the camping in the centre point.

I guess there is a lot they can do with this... original

mozattack wrote: »
    What is the player count on Beta... is it 64 players?

I haven't played it yet and probably won't (PS4 here) but watching the videos it does look very clustered... what about random safes opening on the map meaning you have to race there in vehicles to get it... kinda GTA-ish but so what, beats the camping in the centre point.

I guess there is a lot they can do with this... original

server size is 32 only at the moment.

there are no conquest spawn points so if you cant respawn on a teammate or transport you have to spawn at the base which in a strange deja vu sense of classic battlefield 1942 is a long way from anywhere by foot and you must grab a car or bike to get back in the action.

spawning on teammates have so far not been wise for the most part and no one is using the armoured mobile spawn base effectively yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭carti2k

You were disconnected from EA Online (1)

What is wrong with this? I can't join any server, I played B3 single player normally, but can't play online. Today I got access to beta BF:Hardline and I got same problem. Any advices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just appeared in my origin account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Finally appeared on my account last night!May have been there all along but I never checked as I was waiting for an email from them.

Liking it more with every game
    - you can now get health and ammo by touching a guy carrying it
    - grappling hook and zipline opens loads of possibilities and looks cool in action
    - gas grenades (although the effect should be more volatile IMHO) and gasmasks
    - Blood Game game mode is IMHO way more tactical than anything we've seen so far: you can either grab the money from money box, hunt down the carriers or steal directly from other team's vault

AND the best of all: you can now self-revive! unless you're shot in the head you can lie down and let the other party pass you, self revive and destroy them from behind. Awesome! :)

Kinda like the Counter-strike like way of upgrading your inventory, though I don't like you need to unlock it to buy first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

That self revive thing is a load of bollox & will hopefully be removed from the final game

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How do you self revive is it a perk?

1 good squad can dominate either of the game modes.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    That self revive thing is a load of bollox & will hopefully be removed from the final game

Haven't played the game but YES, WTF is that in there for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

dreamers75 wrote: »
    1 good squad can dominate either of the game modes.

1 good squad versus another good squad leads to really intense games

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Got into this last night, played for a few hours.

So far, ****e on a stick.

Yeah, it feels like it has better hit detection and so on than BF4 did, but that's more down to BF4 CTE and "better" here just means "almost what we thought we were going to get from day one when we paid out most of a hundred euro for BF4 last time".

The movement still feels leaden, the helos still wobble around awkwardly when you fly and run out of power the very moment you need to do a steep turn, the screen shake when the crane falls is downright stupid because how the hell does a crane hitting the ground cause the viewpoint in a helicopter in the air on the far side of the map to shake???.

The guns feel... off. It's hard to put that one in words, but it's like they're not hitting very hard downrange and they feel like toy cap-guns to you when firing. And this "You can't upgrade to this scope until you get X kills with this gun" nonsense is ridiculous bull****. I have a job and a life and **** to do EA, that's how I can afford your games, I don't expect to be told in-game that I have to put in six hours work to get to play the way I want to play! FFS.

Not to mention, it means that the people who can put in 16 hours a day playing games will get an advantage over those who can't not just because of the practice time, but because everyone else can't get the red dot sight or scope or whatever they're used to from BF4 so they'd have even half a chance in a match with those lads. Get a month in past release and new players will be so outmatched by peoples gear that it'll be ridiculous. It's almost as bad as pay-to-win.

And the map's about 10% too small and confined.

And worst of all, while the modes (well, blood money anyway) could be fun, they go beyond where BF4 went in promoting teamwork; right out to the point where it's mandatory now to be in a team communicating on teamspeak. In BF4, when you go onto a server as a singleton, you're not as effective as a team by a large margin but you can still, if you're good enough and a little lucky, have a decent match and enjoy it. But in Hardline, if you have even three or four people working as a team and your side is singletons? Give up, go play chess, you'll get more fun out of it. It's ludicrously unbalanced in the teams-v-singletons game now. All the singletons can do is hang back and snipe - anyone getting up close to the action or, heaven forfend, actually trying to play the objective, is going to get shot in the back of the head by the opposing team.

Sparks wrote: »
    And this "You can't upgrade to this scope until you get X kills with this gun" nonsense is ridiculous bull****. I have a job and a life and **** to do EA, that's how I can afford your games, I don't expect to be told in-game that I have to put in six hours work to get to play the way I want to play! FFS.

This is a real problem for you! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Advertisement

Sparks, strange for you to play a BF game and give out that they are promoting teamwork more?

This is a real problem for you! :rolleyes:
    My gaming time is whatever I can steal from my sleep time. The time that used to be my gaming time is now used to wrestle a naked poop-covered toddler in the shower so I can get him cleaned up and back into a nappy; so when I don't like facing exactly the same task when I fire up a game to unwind (instead of the more sensible opening-a-beer option). It's dumb, it's stupid, and I do not play computer games so that I can do repetitive tasks over and over again to get to the good stuff (FFS, I write scripts in work to do that kind of stuff for me, why would I go back to the dull stuff on my own time?).

Sparks, strange for you to play a BF game and give out that they are promoting teamwork more?
    Promoting is grand; making it mandatory just means I can't have fun with it when I have an hour free here or there. Dunno if you've noticed, but even with BF4 pushing teamwork heavily, nobody's on VOIP or teamspeak most of the time (and for some reason my teamspeak client is constantly crashing anyway).

Seriously, it's less hassle to play deep flight sims than it is to organise a team for a quick fun match these days -- at least with those I can just fire them up and treat them as a puzzle to work out...

Burgo wrote: »
    Yup, agree with that as well. It really does feel that thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sparks wrote: »
    And this "You can't upgrade to this scope until you get X kills with this gun" nonsense is ridiculous bull****. I have a job and a life and **** to do EA, that's how I can afford your games, I don't expect to be told in-game that I have to put in six hours work to get to play the way I want to play! FFS.

I really don't get this. Every single game I can ever remember playing has an unlock system the exact same as this.

If you haven't got the time to put in to the game, that's your problem - not that game's.

I really don't get this. Every single game I can ever remember playing has an unlock system the exact same as this.
    My bottom. Wolfenstein 3D didn't, Doom didn't, Quake didn't, Quake 2 didn't, none of the FPSs had this "qualifying" nonsense until recently. (Yes, I'm going way back. I do that, I'm old :P )

And even BF4 doesn't have this system, because in BF4 it was a case of "get this many kills with this gun, unlock this scope and use it". In Hardline it's "earn in-game money but you aren't allowed spend it on that scope until you also get this many kills with this gun". Not enough to earn the credits, you have to qualify in order to spend them as well. That's a pure pay-to-win bull**** tactic right there, just look at Ghost Recon which uses exactly the same system so you'll pay more real-world money to level up. (And it's been called out as nonsense there as well because unless you drop as much real-world money in-game as you did to buy BF4, you can't compete once you get past the beginner fenced-in levels, no matter how much you practice).
    If you haven't got the time to put in to the game, that's your problem - not that game's.
    I strongly disagree. It's just bad design. This is a game, it's meant to be picked up, played with for a reasonably short time and then put down. This isn't some single-player storytelling experience where I could understand it, this is multiplayer, 20-minute rounds (unless it's Hardline in which case it's often only about 90 seconds per round), with customisable weapons to suit playing style, designed to be jumped into and jumped out of just as quick. It's meant to be fun. I'm not supposed to have to qualify in order to have fun, for pete's sake.

If you want to spend six hours playing with the basic rifle to "earn" the scope, put that in a tutorial level or go do it on the test range, don't force people who've paid a hundred euro to be here to go through this ridiculous unlocking crap. To quote Dara O'Briain, "I'm thirty-seven years old. I unlocked it in a shop with my credit card."

Burgo wrote: »

meh

I can understand disappointment in the game, there are issues that need looking at and it really does have a massive question mark hanging over its head on the notion *DID ANYONE WANT THIS?* I'm firmly on the fence on buying the game myself.

But its a bit of a hyperbole to call it a mod. I'd argue that players perception of the level of work that go into really great mod is skewed.

In fact I can recall when the term mod wasnt used for those sort of games.

When it was Quake and Half life a mod was when players had modified certain elements of the game but for the most part there were no new textures or models or the game completely rebuilt from the core up.

While games that did do that (counter strike, team fortress etc) they were called Total Conversions. Mods were a dime a dozen on games like half life, but TCS actual genuine new games born from half life the vast majority fail and the ones that did work took years of work.

I'm all for modding communities, but sometimes I get the feeling people blow way out of proportion the success rate of mods.

^^ this. BFH follows all of the previous BF games here, you will always have an advantage (weapons, attachments, perks) when you play more

Maybe, but come on blitzkrieg, TCS's like counterstrike and half-life didn't use the same weapons, the same flight and movement models, they added *massive* changes to the game, the environments, everything. It might take more work to do a mod than it used to but that's not because you're really doing a TCS, it's just because the game worlds are more complicated and detailed now. Hardline's not a TCS, it really is just a mod. There's nothing in there that's more involved than what you see in any of the DLCs with their different weapons, skins and game modes like carrier assault.

• Advertisement

huh? completely new maps, completely new game modes - if this is not "massive" then I'm lost here
    of course, the game is based on the same gfx engine so it kinda "feels" the same. the scenery however changed, what is this if not a total conversion?

Advertisement