Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruger Precision Rifle

Options
  • 29-07-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Anyone seen one of these here yet?

I like, I want. In 308.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Deaf git wrote: »
    Anyone seen one of these here yet?
    www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/

I like, I want.

Link isn't working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

amadablam wrote: »
    Link isn't working :(

Cant get it to work for some reason - try cut & paste into the address bar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Fixed
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Fixed

Thanks.

Looks nice, some good features, 1:10 twist in the .308 version and even if the dollar price turns out to be Euro or a little more it's not too expensive.

Have to wait and see what they may cost here, but it's a sweet looking rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Looks nice, some good features, 1:10 twist in the .308 version and even if the dollar price turns out to be Euro or a little more it's not too expensive.

Have to wait and see what they may cost here, but it's a sweet looking rifle.

How does 6.5 creedmoor compare to 308 for targets?

No idea. Never shot the 6.5 Creedmoor.

For F-Class it's .308 (FTR) and usually 6.5x284 or some variant of the 7mm (F-Open). Doesn't quite fit in any other place. However with a 20" barrel i wouldn't be looking at it for target work, well not only. It'd make a superb medium to short range target rifle (sub 600 yards) and it's not too heavy that hunting would be out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

6.5 Creedmoor is very popular for Precision Rifle competitions. Its basically a reworked 308 to a 6.5 has very good ballistics but a good 308 FTR rifle will beat it plus ammo wise its much harder to find here. But there is a lot of ammo producers in America starting to produce 6.5 Creedmoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Their going for 1500 on this site in Germany http://www.henke-online.de/index.php?id=1437 so no idea what they will be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

Looks good value, especially if your main interest or facilities is usually sub-1,000yds (say100-600).

Will be interesting to see if they go for a 'sane' price here. That's the key..

• Advertisement

Sane price indeed.

The Savage TRR-SR took my fancy a couple of years ago. Price in the states was $495 (or thereabouts). The cheapest quote i got here, even from a dealer with them in stock, was €895. That was just under $1,200 at the exchange rates at the time. When i asked why the huge price increase i was told taxes. So i done some checking.

To get the rifle in myself, pay the necessary taxes, duties, and even including the once off export fee from the states the cost was €650. All in.

I've talked about this before and while i understand that shops have overheads, etc they also don't pay full retail price per firearm. IOW they could have sold the gun at €695 and still made a decent profit. Instead they seemed to be milking it for another €200. That is some profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Rip-off Ireland seems to be as alive and kicking as rip-off UK. I just bought a few hundred bullets back with me from Oregon - Sierra MK in my usual calibres. Less than half the cost of them in yUK, and in Oregon, no sales tax either. For those in the North who can reload, ANY component that can be easily stashed in a bag is cheaper - I also bought back four sets of RCBS dies for shooters here - less dollars than pounds.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

It is looking like 1700 in Ireland. I knew some lads in the US that have them and they seem solid, but i woiuld wait a bit till the Hype dies off.
    I want one in a 6.5 creedmore, almost identical ballistics as a .300 winmag and no recoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

It looks great and the reviews seem very good as regards accuracy at least for the Creedmore version. Anyone using 6.5 Creedmore here or any idea if it is available, what's the rough cost of the ammo ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/861895/nosler-match-grade-ammunition-65-creedmoor-140-grain-custom-competition-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Hmmm. Not cheap. The lower performance stuff seems to be hovering around $30 per 20 rounds.

That's why most who shoot it in the USA reload for it.

tac

The Ruger rifle is here in UK - http://valmontfirearms.co.uk/rugerrifles.html

£1400.00 to you, sir.

Less the 20% UK sales tax, of course - lucky you.

However, THIS is what really gets up MY nose - quote....'What other $1,200 factory rifle can be counted on to shoot half-MOA five-shot groups?'

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    The Ruger rifle is here in UK - http://valmontfirearms.co.uk/rugerrifles.html

£1400.00 to you, sir.
    At current exchange rates thats, more or less, €2,000. Ouch.
    Less the 20% UK sales tax, of course - lucky you.
    Can you explain this please. Having a blonde moment.
    However, THIS is what really gets up MY nose - quote....'What other $1,200 factory rifle can be counted on to shoot half-MOA five-shot groups?'

tac
    Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh..................
    • Savage
    • Tikka
    • Sako
    • Some CZs
    • Hell even my R-15 can do that at 100 yards (granted i only fired 3 shots, but that was down to lack of ammo rather than ability).

I seen an advert a couple of years ago for some "GT model" new sporting rifle from a very well known manufacturer that claimed a half MOA at 100 yards guaranteed as though this was unheard of in other brands and models.

UK sales to the RoI exlude the 20% UK sales tax.

tac

Yup.

Good scope at at least a grand, rings, bipod, etc and you're looking at north of €3,300.

No harm to Ruger, its a fantastic looking rifle and i'm sure a great shooter, but at that money i'd be looking full custom build or something with more pedigree that is either a dedicated hunting rifle or target rifle. Not some sporter, in between jobbie.

So how much is your custom rifle, less all the bits that I mentioned? The two gun-stores I went in back home in Ontario between them had over a hundred of them on back order...folks on THIS side of the pond may have a wait, in spite of the claims by some that they have them in stock.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    So how much is your custom rifle, less all the bits that I mentioned?
    To build one? Depends on the purpose and obviosuly the components used, but a rough guess would be:
    • Hunting rifle - Around €2,200 to €2,500 would build a fine hunting rig with no scope, etc. With scope, bipod, rings, etc. approx €3,500.
    • Target rifle (F-class, etc) - €3,300 to €3,700 for the rifle only, and with scope, etc could run into the €6,500 or more mark.

The Ruger doesn't seem to fall squarely into either category. Bit heavy/bulky for deer stalking although one of my rigs is 14lb or more. I can change that back to 10 with a stock change. Guaranteed it won't hold up against a full F-class rifle out to 1,000 yards. Not with lads holding sub 1/2 MOA (and smaller) groups.

Then again i could be wrong. I'm only going on what ive seen from other manufacturers with such short barreled rifles.
    The two gun-stores I went in back home in Ontario between them had over a hundred of them on back order
    And if they were $1,400 or even €1,400 here i'd see the same happening. However with the price as you quoted above of £1,400 (€2,000) without anything on it i'm not so sure.

Plus Ireland wouldn't be blip on Ruger's radar so i'm fairly sure they're not overly concerned with how it sells here.

Thanks for the information. Talking to one store owner in ON he told me that most of these rifles will be used as gong-ringers, an element of the shooting sport that neither you nor I can enjoy in these blesséd isles.

As for the level of sales in Ireland, well, you wouldn't be alone in feeling somewhat left out. Here in yUK the importers, Viking Arms, were talking to a sales rep for Ruger in their home factory, and when he asked why there was so little support for the UK market, the young lady laffed and noted that just one store in TX had bigger sales than the entire year sales for UK for Ruger products.....

tac

Important update on yUK sales to the RoI from a UK gun retailer..................seems I got it ALL wrong, for which, apologies.

Quote - 'No tac we still have to pay the vat to the uk importer as they charge it to us so we have to pass that cost on to who ever buys it I’m afraid'.

That explains a lot.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

What he meant to say was: "What other Ruger rifle can be counted on to shoot half-MOA five-shot groups?"

In my experience no Ruger factory rifle can be "counted on" to shoot sub MOA groups unless you're lucky. The one tested in American Rifleman shot sub MOA groups, not 1/2 MOA groups. This might be a landmark achievement for Ruger, yipee.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

EWQuinn wrote: »
    What he meant to say was: "What other Ruger rifle can be counted on to shoot half-MOA five-shot groups?"

In my experience no Ruger factory rifle can be "counted on" to shoot sub MOA groups unless you're lucky. The one tested in American Rifleman shot sub MOA groups, not 1/2 MOA groups. This might be a landmark achievement for Ruger, yipee.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

I like the look of the new precision rifle. It will be interesting to see how much they go for here.

But I can't understand why ruger gets such a bad rap in the accuracy department in general for their rifles. I've got one and it can shoot sub 1/2 inch 5 shot groups no problem if I do my part. Yipee. With the right ammo. Although it is the heavy barrel model. And I've seen a light barrel 270 ruger do the same, just taking longer time between shots and good ammo. Maybe we got lucky with ours. But I doubt it. I'm not known for my good fortune. In my experience they are as good as any other makers.

They are just hunting guns so I wouldn't be surprised if the precision rifle exceeds that easily. Sure isn't it designed to be more accurate than their hunting guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

After suffering through the Ruger No 1 (one of which I still own) and the Mini 14, I don't have to prove to anyone that Ruger has had known problems. Their bolt action rifles are fine but they are not designed to be consistent sub 1/2 MOA out of the box, so you are lucky or someone has done some work.

I love my Ruger Redhawk, it's as accurate a .44 Mag handgun as one will find, and my Mark II Target which is a very accurate out of the box .22 pistol as the target that came with it and my shooting results have shown.

I have AR's that are as or more accurate than this tactical rifle, and an old Remington 788 that is 1/2 MOA.

Yipee ki-yay

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Has anyone delved further into getting one of these yet. Looking at going after one myself in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Guessing the Ruger is restricted also having a folding stock...

No. That only applies to shotguns. SI 21/2008
    (b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns

(i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or

(ii) with a pistol grip, or

(iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No. That only applies to shotguns. SI 21/2008

They might use the "idontlikethelookofthat" clause and say it resembles an assault rifle. Maybe.

Advertisement