Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope gas problems

Options
  • 04-11-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Ok, ill start here by stating the obvious, "I should have been more careful" and i wasnt!!

I have a 4-12x56 Simalux with IR I bought app 6 years ago. Its been a fantastic scope regardless of its little known name, it holds zero perfectly and the 56 obj is ideal for lamping. I'd rather save it if i can.

Ive been looking to change the Parralax on it and went to do it yesterday. Removed the locking end cap and wound out the Obj lens. Unfortunately - yes i did it - i wound her out too far past the threads and lens came away with my hand in a moment of non concentration and i know as a result of that i've now lost most (if not all) of the nitrogen gas inside the tube. (I'm assuming it was gassed, i would guess most modern scopes are)

Has anyone ever disassembled a scope either accidentaly or intentionally before and lost the gas purge, and if so, did you get it re-filled, if so, how? And if not, what were the results? I know it's possible now that it can fog up while in the field or internals can oxidise but i'd like real world experience if anyone can help?

And yes - i'm an idiot!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

I once had a scope get up and walk of the end of a table and loose a parallax wheel and all the gas.
    I would also be interested if there is a way to refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Ziggieire wrote: »
    I once had a scope get up and walk of the end of a table and loose a parallax wheel and all the gas.
    I would also be interested if there is a way to refill.

There's definitely a way alright, the bigger manufacturers will do it if it's returned. My problem is manufacturer is deceased, company gone, no support so I'm relying on either a diy job or I'm wondering if it's maybe possible along the lines of anyone who services cameras, binoculars etc as it doesn't seem to require anything specific to the scope from what I see. Does yours still function?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    There's definitely a way alright, the bigger manufacturers will do it if it's returned. My problem is manufacturer is deceased, company gone, no support so I'm relying on either a diy job or I'm wondering if it's maybe possible along the lines of anyone who services cameras, binoculars etc as it doesn't seem to require anything specific to the scope from what I see. Does yours still function?

Ya it does. but the threads holding on the parallax have been sheered. It has be replaced with a new one under warranty just being cheeky and seeing if i could fix the old one.
    You can buy Inert gas sprays for fancy wine so it does not spoil after opening. a lot of them are a nitrogen mix. it might do as a diy fix if done inside a plastic bag and assembled inside

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6782

that paul burke guy looks like good value

gearoidol wrote: »
    http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6782

that paul burke guy looks like good value

That's the shot. Gives me something to start with. Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

That's the shot. Gives me something to start with. Thanks very much.

no bother ,best of luck with it,report back and let us know the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

gearoidol wrote: »
    report back and let us know the outcome

Same as that, I'd love to know how you get on

Have a small update on this, just off the phone with Paul Burke in the U.K, in his opinion he says it shouldn't need refilling with gas, it can be done but he doesn't see the need at the moment.
    If I'd damaged it and he was fixing it he says he'd re gas it as a matter of course but for the time being he reckons there is an 80% chance that the scope should function perfectly as before, and to monitor it over the next few months. If I find then that its fogging in the field to revert to him and he'll re gas it and re seal it for 30-40 sterling.
    But for now he says it's not needed unless I see problems, that nitrogen purging is a fairly recent thing and that scopes managed just fine for years without it. Bit more promising lookout now. Will keep an eye on things but anyone in similar situation should def consider him, very nice chap, could easily have pinned me for the 40 sterling and postage but didn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.............. could easily have pinned me for the 40 sterling and postage but didn't.

Not to mention the UK Gov are clamping down on scope exports and demanding end user agreements from any scope over 4 power being shipped out of the UK. Even if it's your own one back. I know this as i recently had a Sightron sent back for repair and when the dealer was sending it back he said that because it was more than two years since i bought it and done the original end user agreement i had to do another.

It's not a big job, and it's free but it can delay your scope return by a minimum of two weeks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Well it didn't take long, didn't need the next few months to monitor it, went out on one of my permissions last night after a few bunnies and the scope got progressively worse as the night went on, the parallax is still all to cock, that's fixable, but the picture below paints a far more terminal picture.....
    IMG-20151111-WA0000_zps9q3z0oux.jpeg

Completely fogged, the rain didn't help im sure but no point in having a scope i can only use in perfect fine, warm weather. I've been mulling over sending it to the uk to be re gassed but i reckon by the time i pay the conversion rate ill be up around the €80 mark if not more. It wasn't an expensive scope to start with, albeit a good one, and i cant justify pumping that money into it, for €92 id have the following one at my door and am thinking about it. It's only a .17 i don't need anything capable of handling .50 recoil so cheap and cheerful will work as long as its clear.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130983901286?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Advertisement

There a good few scopes on the for sale section at the moment for €200 down to €90. Check them out before importing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    There a good few scopes on the for sale section at the moment for €200 down to €90. Check them out before importing.

I had a look alright. Problem is I need/want something with a 56mm objective as most of my shooting is done on the lamps and most of what's around in that size used is higher end optics and I'm very aware of keeping the budget as low as possible. I appreciate the help though Cass, cheers.

Yeah, i can understand that. Just thought there might be something to suit rather try to import.

Hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I had a look alright. Problem is I need/want something with a 56mm objective as most of my shooting is done on the lamps and most of what's around in that size used is higher end optics and I'm very aware of keeping the budget as low as possible. I appreciate the help though Cass, cheers.

I wudnt get hung up on the whole 56mm thing. its on a 17hmr as you said. a better scope with a 40 44 or 50mm objective will be better than a cheap unheard of brand off ebay..
    A hawke varmint 4-16x44 wouldnt ever let u down taking a shot under the lamp with a 17hmr.

I have a nikko stirling that I used on a .243 for a while and you can easily make out foxes at 300 yards.

Ordered a new scope the other day anyway to bring this to an end, will keep the other one and may ship it to the U.K in the future to get it fixed and to have a spare. Thanks for everyone's help anyway.

Advertisement