Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a bad teacher??

Options
  • 24-02-2014 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I live in a constant state of anxiety as a teacher. Firstly I feel I dont prepare enough. I find it hard to keep on top of 33 class periods. I teach English and Religion. I generally know what Im doing for my 3 English classes but for Junior REligion I just seem to wing it a good bit. We dont do it as an exam subject.
    Im not good at keeping records on stuff-ie what I have done.
    I dont feel I do enough correcting. I roughly take copies home once a month for English. Well at sixth year sometimes twice.
    I do use ICT and am good at searching for materials from other teaching sites but I am at sea when it comes to Learning objectives. I dont put them on the board.
    My discipline is relatively good. I do help out in extra curricular ie I run a debating club during school and Im a class tutor.
    Its just when I go to In service I always feel low-like Im surrounded by these eager beavers who seem on top of there game. Who go to conferences etc.

I only spend about 6 hours outside of school doing stuff but I have a toddler -is that some excuse? Viable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

As a student I can tell you I'd be happy to have you as a teacher ;) seriously for junior cert religion most classes are expected to be a 'doss'class or homework/study class especially at this stage of the year. Maybe for your sixth year English one assignment a week might be more suitable at this stage of the year, but most teachers I know of only take up work once or twice a month, but as I said one exam piece a week would be perfect for sixth years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Many many moons ago 1990 an Honours Leaving Cert teacher took a serious dislike to me because I was shyte at English for honours lc. I concur now with this looking back. In his words students like me held back the class. I don'nt give a sh it I am not member of past pupils union etc. And have no contact with the rest of the classrs 70 students sice i left. So OP would you genuinely help any sixth year who asked for your help? Y/n Finally i got a D in h lc english got a c in matric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

what do you mean you are 'at sea when it comes to learning objectives?' how can you plan a lesson without knowing what the objective of it is?

to me, that doesn't make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Aspiring wrote: »
    seriously for junior cert religion most classes are expected to be a 'doss'class or homework/study class especially at this stage of the year.

Bit of a sweeping statement there. :confused:

Aspiring wrote: »
    but most teachers I know of only take up work once or twice a month, but as I said one exam piece a week would be perfect for sixth years.

Again, sweeping statement about "most teachers you know".
    You can't possibly know how much work most teachers correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

The fact that you are anxious about your work and acknowledging your flaws shows that you care and you want to improve, I would think that you make a list of what you deem to be important and work on it one item at a time.

Don't be too worried too much about the eager beavers, lots of folk can be flat out doing nothing.

P.S. Hows my grammar ? I failed English in both inter and leaving cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I live in a constant state of anxiety as a teacher. Firstly I feel I dont prepare enough. I find it hard to keep on top of 33 class periods. I teach English and Religion. I generally know what Im doing for my 3 English classes but for Junior REligion I just seem to wing it a good bit. We dont do it as an exam subject.
    I dont feel I do enough correcting. I roughly take copies home once a month for English. Well at sixth year sometimes twice.
    I do use ICT and am good at searching for materials from other teaching sites but I am at sea when it comes to Learning objectives. I dont put them on the board.
    My discipline is relatively good. I do help out in extra curricular ie I run a debating club during school and Im a class tutor.
    Its just when I go to In service I always feel low-like Im surrounded by these eager beavers who seem on top of there game. Who go to conferences etc.

I only spend about 6 hours outside of school doing stuff but I have a toddler -is that some excuse? Viable?

OP, all teachers feel snowed under with paper-work, preparation and corrections.
    You are not alone!
    Try not to be too hard on yourself, especially when you are doing your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Habit can be a great thing if you work it to your advantage.

You probably do have objectives - you couldn't survive if you didn't - but you just haven't formalised them. I write mine up on a dedicated corner of the board this yr. took a little bit of getting used to but it really really works. Both for me and the students. All you need is 2/3 one liners about what students will know by the end of the class. They take it down with the date at the start of every class, regardless of if they are taking anymore notes in their copy for the class. It gives them great structure in their copies and if they are out they can easily identify from someone else what was done.

I don't know anything about English so can't comment on your level of correction. I guess quality is always more important than quantity. Do you give good feedback when you do take them up or is it a mere tick the page?

For the religion, some books are better than others. I follow the course even if it's not for the exam - gives great structure. Feel free to pm if you want any ideas.

As for keeping note yourself what's been done, easiest way by far IMO is to fill it in at the back of the roll book as you go along. I'm guilty myself of not always being 100% on top of that but use the kids copies then to fill in any gaps :)

As for conferences etc, lots of people talk up what they feel works best but rarely admit to their down points. So take everything with a pinch of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Bit of a sweeping statement there. :confused:

Again, sweeping statement about "most teachers you know".
    You can't possibly know how much work most teachers correct!

I don't mean to intrude this thread and reply to you as it is completely off topic but anyway.

In the school I attend, junior cert religion classes are often used as study classes as the exams approach. This is also the case for leaving cert non-exam religion. Some may see this as a doss class. That is what I meant, i didn't mean every religion class is a doss class and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

On your second point:
    Leaving cert English teachers in the school I attend vary widely on the amount of work they expect handed up as assignments. What I meant (which I thought was clear) was that many teachers of higher level English classes in our school would give an assignment per week to their class. Some less than this it all depends. I was not referencing to how much work teachers correct at all but rather how many class assignments would be handed out in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Boombastic wrote: »
    what do you mean you are 'at sea when it comes to learning objectives?' how can you plan a lesson without knowing what the objective of it is?

to me, that doesn't make sense?

I mean what is this person thinking? No Learning Objective. MY GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Or to put it another way,

Stop being a know it all and give the guy a break he/she is at least being reflective about their practice, something I think will make them a better teacher in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Firstly, I want to thank all the teachers and non teachers who took time to reply here. Just a note about learning objectives-I roughly know what Im doing ie I might be doing speeches with my third years and I know the areas I want to cover. Roughly. I think part of my issue with planning is its stating the bleeding obvious and too organised to an extent. Sometimes ideas pop up in a class.

One failing I do have is sometimes I locate a great handout from a site but I dont read it fully. Photocopy it and don't work out exactly what I want with it. But as stated Im good at locating outside sources that work. Just not always. Sometimes I realize too late the handout is not great/
    I have progressed the last few years. Im more precise in comments on student work.
    The problem with a lot of the reform lately-its just too much all at once. if it was more piecemeal I could digest it. ie. Besides asking my fifth years to read a book once a week (English) I cant think of a particular thing I have done to encourage literacy school wise. Well I do a book in the bag scheme for first/second years but its been in need of organisation.

My Jc religion classes remain a bit of a black spot. A lot of the time its "what page were we on?" other times I'm focused ie I did a great first year mass for 25 students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

I agree with Boombastic. As a teacher your classes and lesson plans are built around your overall objective. That's the important part of teaching imo. The learning objective is the foundation for your planning as a teacher. I would recommend Robert J. Marzano. He has great tips for teachers and also has videos on youtube. I find him brilliant. Very best of luck. I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

http://www.marzanoresearch.com/designing-teaching-learning-goals-objectives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhB_R_FT9y4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

f3232 wrote: »
    I mean what is this person thinking? No Learning Objective. MY GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Or to put it another way,

Stop being a know it all and give the guy a break he/she is at least being reflective about their practice, something I think will make them a better teacher in the long run.
    Seen as you are so clever, please explain to me how you can plan a lesson with no objectives? How can you check if the children have reached the objectives of the lesson if you don't have any?

Your attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

@op is there a reason why you don't read the handout to the end and plan how it will work in the class before you give it to the children? Do you think this is fair on the children?

Sometimes its just hard to get the time to read them fully. I still think its better than relying on the book and the whole handout is not useless its just a bit better planning would help me skip those sections that are of little use.

I think you can over kneel at the altar of objectives. Most of the time its pretty clear-ie you are doing a poem. You want the kids to understand the poem. I dont mind classes that go off on a bit of a trajectory as if you slavishly follow a plan the whole thing can be a bit wooden. Sometimes ideas pop in your head and you go with them . Interruptions events often derail a class and you go back to scratch ie Homework not done or kids need more time. Kids dont always fit neatly into plans.
    I dont know if you are a teacher bombastic? But I dont think we are meant to be critical of each other here and I feel your post is a tad . Not on me.

About being fair to kids-thats a two way street. One can age prematurely waiting for kids to bring in right book/ do homework etc but to be fair the onus is on the teacher to have his act together but often the kids make a lesson nearly impossible to teach. But modern thinking is its entirely my fault!

Anyway my last post. Thanks to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Get this and start with it:
    http://pirongs.co.uk/teachers-planners/custom-built-a4-teachers-planner

I got it shipped in from the UK and it was worth every penny. I keep my roll on edmodo/eportal and use this for daily planning. It has three lines for each class period and you can order the one that fits your timetable. I'm finding it absolutely invaluable. I don't always fill in the homework section but I can see at a glance what I had down for the previous day and I do try and edit it retrospectively if i went off track. It really helps keep a handle on where you are each day and it doesn't take long to fill in.

Once this has become second nature/habit, then start looking at maybe posting the objectives on the board-but get the hang of one thing at a time.

Also just to point out, you are by no means alone in terms of handouts going wrong/working out differently. The important this is that you noticed and can address it for the next time! Every class is different, worksheets that worked with a different group won't work at all with another group. Flexibility is key so that you can change the direction of the class if needs be!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Firstly, I want to thank all the teachers and non teachers who took time to reply here. Just a note about learning objectives-I roughly know what Im doing ie I might be doing speeches with my third years and I know the areas I want to cover. Roughly. I think part of my issue with planning is its stating the bleeding obvious and too organised to an extent. Sometimes ideas pop up in a class.

One failing I do have is sometimes I locate a great handout from a site but I dont read it fully. Photocopy it and don't work out exactly what I want with it. But as stated Im good at locating outside sources that work. Just not always. Sometimes I realize too late the handout is not great/
    I have progressed the last few years. Im more precise in comments on student work.
    The problem with a lot of the reform lately-its just too much all at once. if it was more piecemeal I could digest it. ie. Besides asking my fifth years to read a book once a week (English) I cant think of a particular thing I have done to encourage literacy school wise. Well I do a book in the bag scheme for first/second years but its been in need of organisation.

My Jc religion classes remain a bit of a black spot. A lot of the time its "what page were we on?" other times I'm focused ie I did a great first year mass for 25 students

In my school we made these massive literacy charts on a3 paper and they are on the wall of every classroom in the school. They just outline different types of punctuation and the rules of using them, do's and don't of capital letters with examples, some synonms, commonly misspelled words and a couple of other things. They take 10 minutes to design, five minutes to laminate and you look great for a year :)

Hi OP

Just bumping this thread as I'm curious to know how you have been getting on. Good luck! :)

Im afraid I still stumble on a bit and need to do more planning. Basically I needed to take a few grinds on to make ends meet. Cost of childcare plus debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

You seem to have been very hard on yourself. I think very few of us can look at everything we do like planning, correcting etc. and be completely happy. The fact that you have obviously thought about this over the last year or so shows that you are looking to improve, and fair play to you for it. I would be similar to you in that I would have a topic in mind and work on it for a few days, and see how much I get done. Something that has helped me is having a routine, especially with the junior classes. It helps when you go in and they have say their homework ready to correct, then listening workbook ready, then new work then homework. Hope you don't feel under too much pressure!

Thanks to all. I will revisit the issue soon. I planned to do work over the summer but procrastination got in the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Thanks to all. I will revisit the issue soon. I planned to do work over the summer but procrastination got in the way!

I have to plan for every lesson because I'm not good at winging it and am fussy by nature. I don't have time to do a TP style lesson plan for every class obviously but have a vague plan.

Sit down for an hour with your subject plan and book out. Write out what you do before Oct mid term in bullet points. Decide if you need any new resources and if you do create one new resource per group per half term. It's not a lot in terms of time but you will build up a resource bank and pan in a stress-free way. By the way you sound like you do actually plan and just have it in your head which is no bad thing. I wish I could do that but I have a notebook and highlighter addiction! Also your summer holidays are your holidays and time to spend with family so don't feel guilty for not working during your holidays!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I would advise anyone to invest in a pirongs teacher planner. Got one last year and it has been absolutely invaluable in keeping track of classes and their teaching. New one has arrived for this year already

Hi OP

Like the other posters I echo in saying that you are being too hard on yourself. I agree with vamos!, in that spending an hour or an evening planning ahead and preparing would be of huge benefit to you. It will allow you to see your itinery mapped out in front of you and it will be a solid foundation to work on. The Universities and Colleges here in Ireland do run training seminars and offer tips to teachers on how to make them better in their profession. They have them in the summer and also during the academic year. Into Learning is an example of one. Very best of luck!

http://www.intolearning.ie/summer-programme-2014/

http://moodle.intolearning.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I would advise anyone to invest in a pirongs teacher planner. Got one last year and it has been absolutely invaluable in keeping track of classes and their teaching. New one has arrived for this year already

Just ordered one. They look great. Hope it arrives in time for school.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I ve been an anxious teacher for a long time. I think we can get into the habit of short term performing rather than structuring and planning. This can be linked to personality traits , habit and life s circumstances. The reality as Ive been finding is that time , planning and structure make life easier. You will feel better if your work is less performance art and your relying on the force of your personality to take you through. eventually this approach takes too much energy. Time with counselors , life coaches or self help books can be useful. Practical time management tips are useful at any age. Don't be hard on yourself. We re all doing the best we can but there's nothing wrong with wanting to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

I ve been an anxious teacher for a long time. I think we can get into the habit of short term performing rather than structuring and planning. This can be linked to personality traits , habit and life s circumstances. The reality as Ive been finding is that time , planning and structure make life easier. You will feel better if your work is less performance art and your relying on the force of your personality to take you through. eventually this approach takes too much energy. Time with counselors , life coaches or self help books can be useful. Practical time management tips are useful at any age. Don't be hard on yourself. We re all doing the best we can but there's nothing wrong with wanting to do better.

A very insightful post, thanks.

Have done a few time management books in my time but Im not good at follow through. I can be as bad as kids for disciplining myself time wise! Its 8pm-kids just to bed. Tv or planning....TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Red Shoes

The fact that you're concerned about not being good enough and want to improve speaks volumes. I think that a lot of teachers have that niggling fear. I can't post the link here but google "The Hard Part" by Peter Greene. It's an article I think you might enjoy! Best of luck this year & thanks for raising this topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

Well september is starting and this is your chance to get more organised. Religion is not that important if it's not a junior/leaving cert subject, so don't dwell on it.
    Your 5th & 6th year students should be your piority you need to be correcting their work at least once a week. Once or twice a month is not cutting it. You have to remeber that the majoriety of these students will count english for points. At the moment it sounds like you need to shape up. Students cannot perform to their highest ability without a dedicated teacher.

This is the reason why teachers in grind schools are much better. My english teacher collected our work twice a week. The second you as a student feel the teacher is not working hard enough you just tell the prinicpal and it will be sorted.

As for children many teachers have kids and they manage to get their work done. Having children is no excuse for laziness. It's your job to get students work corrected. I mean why should they bother doing their homework if you can't be bothered to mark it? It's a two way street you know.
    If you can't hack it maybe you need to take a career break until your child is older.

For the sake of your students I hope you figure it out. To everyone who disagrees with grinds schools, this is the standard of teaching in public schools..

I think you came on a bit strong there. You obviously have issues with other staff members and you cant give career advice based on a few texts!-career break?!! How old are you?? . You reference an English teacher. Do u have kids?

I have 30 honours students so you could be talking 3-5 hours of correcting per week for one group. I tend to collect one group per week. To be honest I prefer my time planning than correcting and feel its a bit more beneficial. ie you find great notes or write great notes.

Grind schools are fine if thats what you want but their teachers dont have to be a class tutor/serve on a literacy committee/ do s and s. etc. I have given grinds to kids in grinds schools-the standard is good but its more third level like-kids dont get that much special attention. People feel they get better because they pay more and lets face it you dont have any troublesome pupils.

However I do think I could do more -we all probably could. I probably correct the fifth and sixth years twice a month-not once . Religion aint an exam subject but I still have to prepare and that takes time. I don't plan to comment anymore because of the above contribution. Though I appreciate the concern.
    Thanks to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

LoveChanel wrote: »
    Your 5th & 6th year students should be your piority you need to be correcting their work at least once a week. Once or twice a month is not cutting it. You have to remeber that the majoriety of these students will count english for points. At the moment it sounds like you need to shape up. Students cannot perform to their highest ability without a dedicated teacher.

This is the reason why teachers in grind schools are much better. My english teacher collected our work twice a week. The second you as a student feel the teacher is not working hard enough you just tell the prinicpal and it will be sorted.

As for children many teachers have kids and they manage to get their work done. Having children is no excuse for laziness. It's your job to get students work corrected. I mean why should they bother doing their homework if you can't be bothered to mark it? It's a two way street you know.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you are not a teacher, but the above comment is nonsense!

I teach First Year to Leaving Cert English every year, all levels. Taking up 5th and 6th year work at least once a week would leave no time for anything else. There are barely any 'free' classes left on teachers' timetables nowadays, so this type of work needs to be taken home. Even if you have no kids, no partner, no housework, no cooking or need to relax, it's going to take you at 20 minutes per copy at Leaving Cert and even with my small class sizes, marking a class group of 20 is going to take 6 1/2 hours and that's after a day's work.

When do you propose the teacher would get around to marking the other 4 classes and planning?

The grind school comparison is irrelevant. Grind schools deal with 5th and/or 6th years and do not have to deal with the other years in a regular secondary schools, supervision/substitution, extra-curricular activities, discipline issues and the thousand other things that go on in a secondary school that is not run for profit. Teachers in grind schools are not better! They have the same qualifications (sometimes less) as every other teacher in the country, just more time and less distractions to do the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement