Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Saw a guy reading through this thread taking notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Saw a guy reading through this thread taking notes.
    That was my brother. Did he ask you for the lend of a pen and a spare page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Hagar wrote: »
    That was my brother. Did he ask you for the lend of a pen and a spare page?

I'll never see that biro again.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

00112984 wrote: »
    Used to work with the meanest woman in the world. She was going to the shop one day and asked if any of us wanted anything. I wanted something (can't for the life of me remember what, we'll say a bottle of Coke) so gave her €1.20. She came back five minutes later Coke-less, gave me back my €1.20. Turned out the shop had put Coke up to €1.22 a bottle and she didn't want to spend €0.02 of her own money in case she wouldn't get it back off me. :rolleyes:

Thats feckin hilarious, thanks for givin me a laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Ya. It was a strange experience. First I was shocked, then angry and finally... amused, by the explanation that it was the way of things there.

Jesus, I wouldn't begrudge a person a sup of beer, but if it happened in a pub in Ireland, I'm ashamed to say that I'd most likely use a combo of four letter words.

"hell" and "yeah"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

When I was a young lad I was in Drogheda with my dad to see a relative anyways he parks his car and this young traveller offers to mind it for him for 2euros my dad agrees and off we go so we get back to the car after around 3 hours and the young traveller is still sitting beside it. My dad began claiming that a scratch he had gotten months ago wasn't there when he left the traveller with the car and refused to pay him. My dad told me to get in the car and off we went

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Small shop in Naas. Main street.

Student special for sandwiches. EUR 2 each.

Two schoolboys walk into the shop. Brothers. One is about 8 or 9, the other 6 or 7. They buy one sandwich. The woman is about to wrap it and the boy asks 'can you please cut it in half'. She does that.

The boy brings the sandwich to the counter clutching a two euro coin and the following conversation ensues:

"Four euro please"

"But I've only one sandwich."

"You've two there. Two sandwiches. Four euro."

"But I just got this cut in half."

"Four euro. Come on, I haven't got all day."

The boy looks at his brother and puts his hand in his pocket. He makes up the remaining two euro in assorted change.

The owner counts it and doesn't say thanks.

When the two of them get outside the older one unwraps the sandwich, tears off some tinfoil and gives half of the sandwich to his little brother. They walk off in opposite directions.

Since then the witness (a work colleague) and me refuse to shop there.

But did the witness say anything to the owner who cheated the children? I don't think I would have been able to stay silent had I been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Alice1 wrote: »
    But did the witness say anything to the owner who cheated the children? I don't think I would have been able to stay silent had I been there.

As far as I know he didn't as he is quite a shy person. He hasn't darkened the door since though and has told a number of people about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I knew a guy who used to make his own beer!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

well if it tasted good, and he was ar$ed to do it, well then fair play to him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Many people do this as a hobby.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My parents used to make their own bread, wine and beer. Not because they were cheap, but because they were damn hippies. My mum even made mead for my sister's 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I heard of a guy who raped cows cause hookers were too dear then killed them just incase the unthinkable happened and he had to pay child support.

Free beef though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Two schoolboys walk into the shop. Brothers. One is about 8 or 9, the other 6 or 7. They buy one sandwich. The woman is about to wrap it and the boy asks 'can you please cut it in half'. She does that.

The boy brings the sandwich to the counter clutching a two euro coin and the following conversation ensues:

"Four euro please"

The boy looks at his brother and puts his hand in his pocket. He makes up the remaining two euro in assorted change.

When the two of them get outside the older one unwraps the sandwich, tears off some tinfoil and gives half of the sandwich to his little brother. They walk off in opposite directions.

Which shop was this? Thats disgraceful. Is it that red one up beside AIB? I actually cant believe that. ffs, what a mean bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Albert000

When I was a young lad I was in Drogheda with my dad to see a relative anyways he parks his car and this young traveller offers to mind it for him for 2euros my dad agrees and off we go so we get back to the car after around 3 hours and the young traveller is still sitting beside it. My dad began claiming that a scratch he had gotten months ago wasn't there when he left the traveller with the car and refused to pay him. My dad told me to get in the car and off we went
    Thats just mean....still funny though:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thats very good. Your father sounds like a funny fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Fair play to your dad. In my experience most people who offer to "mind your car" either do nothing at all or are basically asking for protection money (don't pay and they'll scratch your car). The kid could have been just trying to earn a few quid in fairness but many people would feel obliged to pay.

I was at a restaurant in Spain where the car park attendant puts a glass bottle behind the wheel of cars who didn't tip him on the way in. If they tip him on the way out, he discreetly kicks the bottle away. Slimy tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

latchyco wrote: »
    My mate collects the 20p off next newspaper vouchers from the daily paper saving himself about £1.50 a week .That works out at £ 6 pound a month = £72 a year .Thrifty ? economical ? stingness ? Not sure tbh but 20p a day to read a 40p newspaper (shyte ) sounds ok . :)
    Naw, that's thriftiness perhaps but smart thriftiness. He's got the papers anyway and the vouchers are just sitting there for the next one, he'd be silly not to use it. If we had all been a little more thrifty in a smart way, we'd be able to ride out this recession Keynsian-style, giggling all the way.

It's not anywhere near the same league or game as some of the weirdos described here who have gone to far greater lengths to save a few quid where they're losing on balance, cheating people out of money or wasting half a day to save tuppence ha'penny. That's straight stinginess: cutting off their noses to save their faces (judging by some of the comments, losing face as well). Look at that example up the page of the shop cheating two kids out of two euros, if there's karma in the world (and unfortunately I don't think there is) her shop will go on fire the day after she forgets to renew the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Seen a guy pick a 50p coin outta the urinal trough in the local. No gloves or anything, right down amongst the yellow cakes.... Legend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ivory

galwayrush wrote: »
    Once in a restaurant, 4 people at a table near us, three of them leave a tip at the table on leaving, last person at the table pockets tip without the rest noticing.

Actually this person is not stingy, just a thief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ivory

javaboy wrote: »
    Fair play to your dad. In my experience most people who offer to "mind your car" either do nothing at all or are basically asking for protection money (don't pay and they'll scratch your car). The kid could have been just trying to earn a few quid in fairness but many people would feel obliged to pay.

I was at a restaurant in Spain where the car park attendant puts a glass bottle behind the wheel of cars who didn't tip him on the way in. If they tip him on the way out, he discreetly kicks the bottle away. Slimy tactics.

Right... "in your experience 'most' people blah blah..." So because your general experience is that car minders are charlatans then this asshole behavior is acceptable even though in this specific instance the car minder did his job. Spoken like an ignorant bollocks. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

myself and a few mates were on holiday. We'd just had dinner in a restaurant and were splitting the bill. One of my mates only had notes and there was no change on the table to take back meaning he'd be about a euro over what he owed.

So we were working out the cash and realised we were short and he hadn't put in. We asked him to put in and he said "but there's no change"

A logical solution to the problem of him paying a euro too much was to not pay at all and let us do it

(if you're reading this, sorry :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

MargeS wrote: »
    I used to know someone who bought their granny really good presents at Xmas & birthdays because they knew they would get them back when their granny died!!

Now that's extremely stingy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

"Four euro please"

If i had witnessed that and were awake enough to think of it, i would have ordered the exact same thing those kids did and see if that shopowner had tried the same trick on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

inforfun wrote: »
    If i had witnessed that and were awake enough to think of it, i would have ordered the exact same thing those kids did and see if that shopowner had tried the same trick on me.
    I'd have ordered one and walked up to the counter and paid for a drink and if she asked for money for the sandwich I'd simply reply with "that young lad paid for mine" and walk off!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ivory wrote: »
    Right... "in your experience 'most' people blah blah..." So because your general experience is that car minders are charlatans then this asshole behavior is acceptable even though in this specific instance the car minder did his job. Spoken like an ignorant bollocks. Congratulations.
    Banned.

My first job was as a tea boy.
    Tony the greek went nuts one day because there was no salt for he southern fried chicken. He threw the breast at me.
    Cavan man walks out of the canteen, picks the chicken up and dusts it off. "Ahh, sure it's only the skin that's dirty."

He was on about £500 a week at the time and wouldn't pay the £1.50 a week for tea, but complained when I told him he couldn't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Banned.

My first job was as a rent boy.
    Tony the greek went for my nuts one day

FYP:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Thats not stingy..thats extremely bad form and borderline fraud..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I once saw a guy on the Forecourt of a Texaco station go around every pump and shake what fuel was left in them into his lawnmower

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I once saw a guy on the Forecourt of a Texaco station go around every pump and shake what fuel was left in them into his lawnmower

i did that once but to fill a motorised bicycle with a 25cc engine. it used 1:100 2-stroke oil so i got some from the 1:50 pump and some from an unleaded pump. got at least a mile out of the few drops

but its alright since the petrol station was closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement