Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

KJ wrote: »
    I picked up my Drinkstore order at the weekend.

Should be getting a delivery from BrewDog and Ales By Mail today or tomorrow.

Can yo tell me what the delivery charges are like from the UK? Recently ordered from DrinkStore.ie and find them quite good - are there any other Irish sites?

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

keano_afc wrote: »
    Shepherd Neame India Pale Ale tonight. Very nice, I'll be getting more.

I had a bottle of it last week and thought it was ok. Better than their usual fare, and probably lacking a smidgen of hoppiness for my liking.

The bottle looked great though, and surprisingly enough it's in a brown bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

God I've been dying for a rauchbier lately but it seems to be evading me. Anyone know of any off licences around the city center where I might pick up a Schlenkerla? I know the Porterhouse sells them but I haven't been able to get down there.

Had a Leann Folláin just there, nice as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

After this weekend, I'm convinced Punk IPA tastes better from a can. And I hate cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

7.7 Lager...........not what I was expecting. Very tasty indeed.

Hirschbraeu Doppelbock is tasty, reminds me a bit of St Bernadus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Grayditch wrote: »
    After this weekend, I'm convinced Punk IPA tastes better from a can. And I hate cans.

You are right it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Five Lamps and a Carrig lager last night.

Didn't see much in the Carrig, fairly bland and inoffensive.

The Five lamps was nice enough. For a lager it had an ok hop profile and it was quite refreshing. Could be a nice sunny day drink. Kind of reminded me a bit of Brooklyn lager, although it's been a while since I had one of those so I may be remembering wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was down in The Hole In The Wall for dinner today.

I never knew O'Hara's did a winter ale - Winter Star it's called. I was driving, so only had a mouthful of my wife's pint, she loved it, I thought it was decent. My wife is a fan of Ór and Metalman too, so it's somewhere along the same path as those two.

They are also selling Galway Hooker, Belfast Blonde, Ór, a White Gyspy on tap, don't know which one.

We didn't stay for long after dinner, so I picked up a few bottles in their off licence, which is more geared towards wine but had a good selection of beers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

God I've been dying for a rauchbier lately but it seems to be evading me. Anyone know of any off licences around the city center where I might pick up a Schlenkerla? I know the Porterhouse sells them but I haven't been able to get down there.

Had a Leann Folláin just there, nice as always.

drink store should have it http://www.drinkstore.ie

Poeterhouse and bull and castle usually stock it too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

cianr wrote: »
    are there any other Irish sites?
    Bradley's and The Beer Club, but neither has the selection of DrinkStore, and even DrinkStore doesn't have everything up on the site.

Nomnomomnom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

There's no reason to hate cans. I think we are conditioned to hate them because they usually signify crap beer, but increasingly British craft beers are beginning to ship canned beer. And it's a good thing IMO. They are cheaper, more environmentally friendly and I have even read that they are better for storing the beer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 land lover

Lots

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Had a Brewdog Dogma tonight. Really nice and very rich, although it's very sweet and caramel-ish, with strong molasses flavours. So I really enjoyed it and would definitely have some again, but it's probably something that you'd really enjoy if you're in the right mood, but hate if you're not.

Also had a Castle Rock Harvest Pale, which is actually a blonde beer despite the name. I enjoyed it all the same, it had a good blonde beer taste, but more complex than usual, with some German or East Eurpoean style hops to it. Possibly a bit too much for a pure blonde beer fan, and too mild for an ale fan, but a nice enough comprise and very drinkable and sessionable.

I agree I think, there's not a lot in it, but I think the can does taste slightly nicer. Although for some reason I feel it should be cheaper in a can and didn't think it was quite as good value for money. The power of marketing I suppose :)

Though when I bought it in cans the guy in the off-license made a very good point. He said that a lot of people were buying it for festivals, the thinking being that our uniformed friends weren't used to seeing beer cans that looked like that, so you could walk around drinking from the can without any problems :)

stevenmu wrote: »
    Though when I bought it in cans the guy in the off-license made a very good point. He said that a lot of people were buying it for festivals, the thinking being that our uniformed friends weren't used to seeing beer cans that looked like that, so you could walk around drinking from the can without any problems :)

I think it's more to do with the fact that a lot (but not all) festivals allow you to bring cans, but not bottles, onto site.

That said, Punk does look like a soft drink, so it does have the added bonus for the smugglers among us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

stevenmu wrote: »

Never even though of that. Plus the fact that they're 330ml cans makes them look more like soft drinks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

cianr wrote: »

Can yo tell me what the delivery charges are like from the UK? Recently ordered from DrinkStore.ie and find them quite good - are there any other Irish sites?

Cheers! :)
    Ales By Mail was £15. BrewDog was £25 even though they use the same courier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a Rogue Brutal IPA last night.
    It's the first Rogue beer that didn't leave me a bit disappointed - maybe because I didn't have high hopes for it.
    This is a really well balanced quality AIPA.
    I'd buy it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Had a Łomża Beer from Łomża in Poland.

There's something pleasant about Polish Beers. They are just all far too easy to drink or maybe I just have a problem. :eek:

One nice customer of mine brought it back for me. Very nice of him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Meantime London Porter which is rather delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

König Ludwig Weiss pours a lovely orange colour and smells quite sweet.

I tasted bananas and a slightly spicy twang. Not a bad beer but only 1 or 2 at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a Rogue Brutal IPA last night.
    It's the first Rogue beer that didn't leave me a bit disappointed - maybe because I didn't have high hopes for it.
    This is a really well balanced quality AIPA.
    I'd buy it again.

Rogue can be a bit hit and miss, but when they get it right... they get it right!!
    Have you tried Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout or Hazelnut Brown Nectar?
    They're two top Rogue beers IMO. Not a huge fan of Dead Guy myself.
    Brutal, as you said, is pretty tasty aswell.

slayerking wrote: »
    Rogue can be a bit hit and miss, but when they get it right... they get it right!!
    Have you tried Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout or Hazelnut Brown Nectar?
    They're two top Rogue beers IMO. Not a huge fan of Dead Guy myself.
    Brutal, as you said, is pretty tasty aswell.

Didn't care for the Hazelnut.
    Don't think I've had the S.O. Stout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Had a nice selection to acompany a curry fest with some friends on Saturday night.
    The Hookers, Hildens, Pacifics and Torpedos disappeared 1st.

6955_4663192392126_749958962_n.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

Well, it is almost my birthday.
    I really, really enjoyed this but I reckon I'd swap one (if I had one) for a 90 minute.

DSC02051.jpg

Well, it is almost my birthday.
    I really, really enjoyed this but I reckon I'd swap one (if I had one) for a 90 minute.

where did you get that?

Seaneh wrote: »
    where did you get that?

Ah I got it about a year ago.
    Friend of a friend brought it back from the US.

Not beer but I'm having a Makers Mark. It's going down very nicely indeed.

Whitewater Sanity Clause.

WHERE IS THE TASTE?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Just had my first taste of Guinness foreign extra.

It most certainly won't be my last! Very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Whitewater Sanity Clause.

WHERE IS THE TASTE?!

Cheers - I was interested in finding out whether this was worth getting or not.

Has anyone else here tried any of the bottled Irish Christmas beers this year (8 Degrees Winter Ale, Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal, etc.)?

Nothing going on at all. My Molloys has been out of 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter for ages now, so I tried the red again. It's still great!

Surprised Innis And Gunn aren't doing an underwhelming beer, aged in Santa's sack from last year.

Has anyone else here tried any of the bottled Irish Christmas beers this year (8 Degrees Winter Ale, Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal, etc.)?
    I had them both last year. Both were excellent. Have to get my hands on some soon.

Ah I got it about a year ago.
    Friend of a friend brought it back from the US.

Should have drank it a year ago so!

N point holding on to a beer like that. Something like that deserves to be drank young, every day in the bottle it will be slightly less impressive.

N point holding on to a beer like that. Something like that deserves to be drank young, every day in the bottle it will be slightly less impressive.

I know that's the general consensus when it comes to hoppy beers but surely with that many hops and such a high ABV it'd do quite well with aging.

Plus, it does say on the bottle that it "AGES WELL"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Černá Hora - nice Czech beer with a hint of hops and spicy. A little sweet aftertaste.
    Wished I had tried this earlier as its a really good beer.

KJ wrote: »
    I had them both last year. Both were excellent. Have to get my hands on some soon.

Yeah, same here. I enjoyed them a lot last time out but haven't been able to track down this year's versions yet.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I know that's the general consensus when it comes to hoppy beers but surely with that many hops and such a high ABV it'd do quite well with aging.

Plus, it does say on the bottle that it "AGES WELL"

I dunno, even if it ages ok, I'd just rather drink it fresh to get the absolute most out of it.

I dunno, even if it ages ok, I'd just rather drink it fresh to get the absolute most out of it.

But if aging it makes it better are you not missing out on that part?

Plus, considering that it's "brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled for a full two hours while being continuously hopped with high-alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month and aged for another month on whole-leaf hops!" I'm not sure you missed out too much on the hoppiness.

• Advertisement

I tasted it a year ago and wanted to see how in might change - didn't notice much difference.

I now realise there is something more irritating than somebody saying "do you know what you should do"....

it's... "do you know what you should have done"

;)

I tasted it a year ago and wanted to see how in might change - didn't notice much difference.

I now realise there is something more irritating than somebody saying "do you know what you should do"....

it's... "do you know what you should have done"

;)

Welp, really I'm just jealous.

But I have a bottle each of Russian River Pliny the Elder and Consecration and one of my friends award winning hazelnut stouts coming soon :D

Any good craft beer stocking off licenses near Dame St, Dublin, lads?

I'm looking for a few 8 Degrees porters and maybe some Dungarvin Black Rock stout, but I'll be in town between 6 and 10. Dunno where I''d find them in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Any good craft beer stocking off licenses near Dame St, Dublin, lads?

I'm looking for a few 8 Degrees porters and maybe some Dungarvin Black Rock stout, but I'll be in town between 6 and 10. Dunno where I''d find them in town.
    Nip out to Drinkstore in Stoneybatter

Yeah, tis a little far from where I'll be, but sure I might hop in a taxi if it means I can finally try Anchor Porter and a few others. :)

Yeah, tis a little far from where I'll be, but sure I might hop in a taxi if it means I can finally try Anchor Porter and a few others. :)
    It's well worth it, enjoy

• Advertisement

Don't forget to go into L. Mulligan Grocers

I had a bottle of Bateman's Mocha beer the other night. It's sweet, creamy and very chocolatey with just a slight hint of coffee flavour. Smells like a chocolate milkshake. Not something you'd drink too often, but I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Gooseberry

Just finished a 750ML of White Gypsy Dopplebock. 7.5%. Very very good.

Tonight I had the following.

1 bottle of Anchor Porter (personal favourite).
    A Fullers "old winter ale" which I thought was lovely.
    A pint of Purity Ubu Amber from the cask, which I though was decent and probably the best I'd had from purity (their pale and golden were pretty ****).
    I also halved a 70cl bottle of Meantime London Porter which was nice but not spectacular.

I also had a few of the Galway Bay beers.

All in all, a nice night of watching the rugby and talking ****e with the locals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just back from london where I visited the pilot inn while waitingnon a concert. Had the following on cask. London pride, jack frost wintwr ale, chiswick bitter, esb and a glass of honey dew

Then had a pint of greene king ipa on cask in stansted airport on the way home

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement