Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It was a gap in the market but with good reason, There was no real audience at that time of Morning, there still isn't. Look at the UK where ITV keep relaunching and the audience stands still or falls.

ITV's previous audience is now going to other channels, with BBC Breakfast making the most out out ITV's decision of getting rid of GMTV and replacing it with the doomed Daybreak.
    Go back to when it started and you'll find almost no Irish programmes on at Prime time. That's never what the BAI intended when the licence was given out.

TV3 had 20/20, A Game Of Two Halves, Screen 3, Pop On 3, Speakeasy, News @6, News And Sports Tonight, The Week In Review, Gimme 3, Agenda, Daytrippers, Messrs Tylak And Rooney, Pepsi Chart Show on during its first year when Ireland AM came along. We'll wait and see if UTVi will produce anything other than 'Lesser Spotted Republic' or 'UTVi Live' in their first year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    TV3 had 20/20, A Game Of Two Halves, Screen 3, Pop On 3, Speakeasy, News @6, News And Sports Tonight, The Week In Review, Gimme 3, Agenda, Daytrippers, Messrs Tylak And Rooney, Pepsi Chart Show on during its first year when Ireland AM came along. We'll wait and see if UTVi will produce anything other than 'Lesser Spotted Republic' or 'UTVi Live' in their first year

You missed SpeakEasy. Largely intermittent shows or shows that have been pushed around.

News @6 = 5:30/Xposé
    News & Sports Tonight = Tonight With VB
    The Week in Review = Midweek
    Pop 3, Gimme 3, Agenda = Rolled into Ireland AM
    Pepsi Chart Show was simple a bought in product with an Irish Face
    Messrs was a six parter

I expect as much from UTV as I do from TV3.

First of all they would have begun their day at 8.00 or earlier with infomercials. You get more money for them if you broadcast them between 6am and midday than in the middle of the night. There was a gap in the market in the sense that RTE didn't have a show on, but for the first few years many of those advertisements you saw were freebies. they were thrown in because of the advertising bought later in the day and I can tell you advertising agencies weren't interested because figures were so low.

Adverts are bought in blocks - there's no such thing as free adverts. If that was the case, and they were giving away advertising space - then Ireland AM would have been long gone.
    The gap in the market was that there was no live Breakfast TV show which had Irish news, sport, weather and the rest. If there isn't a market there - then why did RTE launch Morning Edition last year?
    Yes and RTE don't show it in primetime, It's not fit for purpose after 6 O Clock.
    Ireland AM and Daily Show are designed for daytime - they were never made to fit into a prime time slot.
    They dropped 2 and a half hours of news a week and replaced it with basically an infomercial for nice dresses, jewelery and make up, with 5 minutes of entertainment news at the start. The presenters (who are on terrible wages by any standards) were mostly working for TV3 already. There was no new backstage team, it was all the same staff. It was a cutback on output plain and simple. I will say it was clever at the time because it provided something different to what RTE offered. However it quickly turned into what it is now.

They dropped 2 and half hours of repeated news for a brand new show contained new features which was on for 2 and half hours - how is that a cutback on their output?
    To have a news show go up against the 2nd half of Six:One was not going to work anymore - it needed to be removed.
    Lisa Cannon didn't work for TV3 when she joined. Neither did Glenda Gilson when she was added later. Karen Koster was plucked from Ireland:AM, and that led Ireland:AM to employ new people into their vacated slots like Anna Daly and other presenters.
    Anyway it's probably just a move to get rid of Tonight and the News in the long run. Remember we gain the new evening show but we lose FYI on 3e. Now that was something half original. There's no overall gain in Home production for this show.

I liked FYI - but i don't think the time slot worked for it. I would have liked to see it at 11pm. However, will any of its viewers even miss when it disappears from the screens in a few weeks time? I doubt it. FYI was very cheap to make - all features were news stories shared from tv3 and other news outlets, with youtube videos thrown in.

Elmo wrote: »
    You missed SpeakEasy. Largely intermittent shows or shows that have been pushed around.

News @6 = 5:30/Xposé
    News & Sports Tonight = Tonight With VB
    The Week in Review = Midweek
    Pop 3, Gimme 3, Agenda = Rolled into Ireland AM
    Pepsi Chart Show was simple a bought in product with an Irish Face
    Messrs was a six parter

I expect as much from UTV as I do from TV3.

It's there beside Pop on 3 in my list ;) I could add The Weakest Link a year later but i think we all want to forget about that one. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Adverts are bought in blocks - there's no such thing as free adverts. If that was the case, and they were giving away advertising space - then Ireland AM would have been long gone.
    The gap in the market was that there was no live Breakfast TV show which had Irish news, sport, weather and the rest. If there isn't a market there - then why did RTE launch Morning Edition last year?

Of course there are free adverts, or close to free adverts. During the early 2000's I was in an office where they were picking up ads on TG4 for 6 euro a pop. Regularly if you're advertising on TV, Print or Radio and times are tough you'll get freebies thrown in. TV3 were getting almost no measurable viewers at all for Ireland AM for years. Advertisers weren't beating down the doors. In fact I know that one advertiser used to refuse free adverts from TV3 because of the Seventh sense sponsorship of their Daytime shows.

As for Morning edition, there's no Market for that either. TV3 aren't the only ones that can make mistakes. In fact RTE will give them a run for their money a lot of the time. Morning Edition seems to have lead to the cutback of News output on RTE after 9pm. There were 10 times as many people watching the 20 minutes news on two, but that has been scaled back because of Morning edition. There also appears to be no Late News now on RTE1, but I might be mistaken.
    Ireland AM and Daily Show are designed for daytime - they were never made to fit into a prime time slot.

Exactly my point. Neither was Xpose but they now all seem to be appearing on prime time slots on TV3 (under different names) because they have literally nothing else
    They dropped 2 and half hours of repeated news for a brand new show contained new features which was on for 2 and half hours - how is that a cutback on their output?

It's a cutback because it was supposed to be an hour of news, that was chopped into 2 half hour pieces repeating the same thing. Then the second news bulletin was cut and replaced with the 5 minutes of entertainment and infomercial. To be fair there was more content when Lorraine Keane called the shots.
    To have a news show go up against the 2nd half of Six:One was not going to work anymore - it needed to be removed.

Yes I'd agree with that especially as it's a repeat. Why did they not put news on at any other slot between 7 and 11?... and remember News in Ireland is a ratings winner.
    Lisa Cannon didn't work for TV3 when she joined. Neither did Glenda Gilson when she was added later. Karen Koster was plucked from Ireland:AM, and that led Ireland:AM to employ new people into their vacated slots like Anna Daly and other presenters.

Yes and many, many people were left off at that same time, and practically all that were taken on were at a reduced wage level.
    I liked FYI - but i don't think the time slot worked for it. I would have liked to see it at 11pm. However, will any of its viewers even miss when it disappears from the screens in a few weeks time? I doubt it. FYI was very cheap to make - all features were news stories shared from tv3 and other news outlets, with youtube videos thrown in.

Any other slot would have given FYI a better audience number but that would have meant keeping people in studio to produce it, which costs money. No one will miss it as no one seems to really watch 3e unless you're in Saorview only land. (One night of Ultimate fighting doesn't really count it's the other 364 that would worry me)

20/20 had one Irish story tacked on.
    A Game of Two Halves was fair enough but didn't last
    Screen 3, Pop on 3... Just cheaply made continuity between videos or trailers.
    News @ 6 and Sport Tonight. Fair enough
    Week in Review (cop out so they didn't have to show a sunday night bulletin.)
    Daytrippers don't remember it to be honest
    Messrs Tylak And Rooney 12 eps...why were there not more?
    Gimme 3 Continuity between Cartoons.

Many of the shows were just continuity between videos. Even UTV don't have the balls to say that Julian counts as a show.

UTV have given commitments to the BAI, I'm sure they'll stick to them as they have a 55 year track record of generally sticking to commitments on TV and Radio. When they were naughty it was to break a News Story about the peace process. Lesser Spotted Ulster might not be your cup of tea, but it's made for an certain audience and it's watched.

TV3 have been trying to get away with stuff from Day one. Now their chickens are coming home to roost. Had they developed proper programmes over the last 15 years the next year would be a challenge but nothing more. It does look like closure (or major change) is more likely.

• Advertisement

TV3 were getting almost no measurable viewers at all for Ireland AM for years. Advertisers weren't beating down the doors. In fact I know that one advertiser used to refuse free adverts from TV3 because of the Seventh sense sponsorship of their Daytime shows.

Any idea how well The Morning Show & Midday are doing?

What did the advertiser say? What was his view on 7th Sense Sponsorship?

Any idea how well The Morning Show & Midday are doing?

What did the advertiser say? What was his view on 7th Sense Sponsorship?

The Morning Show went last year. I don't know the current state of Midday but I do know that none of the daytime shows were doing good business this time last year. That's why they had the big shake up. They couldn't get rid of Ireland AM (which was on the table) because it makes up so much of their home produced programming.

His view was that he didn't want his product to be associated with anything like that. You have to remember at the time some of the biggest advertisers on TV3 were the psychic lines and other phone services. They would happily pay small money for open slots on the station (which there were quite a few) It made total sense for Seven Sense to sponsor Daytime as it was the same people watching TV3 that would phone their service. It wasn't generally driving other advertisers away as they just weren't around. That wouldn't have entirely been TV3's fault at certain points in the past Decade. I also know ads that ran that were never booked or paid for. I don't know if that was by accident or just to fill up Ad space, but it used to happen often.

It's was the same if you picked up the Irish Mirror and the Irish Sun from 2007 till 2011. Phone Services would pick up adverts on those papers a few years ago for a fraction of what you'd expect because there was no one else advertising. You'd also get ads for charities for the same reason.

To be fair, I do have to point out that TV3 programmes are available in America on that Today's Ireland Service. So you can watch Midday, late lunch live and Tonight in the states.

Also to be fair I don't watch Midday, did that show ever get the live studio audience it was promised this time last year?

To be fair, I do have to point out that TV3 programmes are available in America on that Today's Ireland Service. So you can watch Midday, late lunch live and Tonight in the states.

Also to be fair I don't watch Midday, did that show ever get the live studio audience it was promised this time last year?

I would have thought 25% share and 50000 viewers would be enough to keep Ireland AM, is that an incorrect figure???

Any idea of the actual viewers of The Morning Show & Midday when they where on, for that matter Jeremy Kyle?

I would have thought 25% share and 50000 viewers would be enough to keep Ireland AM, is that an incorrect figure???

As far as Im aware you're correct, that's why they did keep Ireland AM, however the new management would want a far higher share than 25%, It took years to take off, once it did it's market share was well into the mid 30% but that has fallen off.
    Any idea of the actual viewers of The Morning Show & Midday when they where on, for that matter Jeremy Kyle?

I don't know, I have heard from someone reliable that Late Lunch Live does better business than the Morning Show. However. even the figures quoted above for Ireland AM would be disappointing for many local Radio Stations around the country, where they only have to have 2 or 3 people in to do the breakfast Show. The quality of the 50,000 that watch Ireland AM compared to those listening to Radio stations would also be taken into account by Advertisers. It's possible that they would still get a market share of 25% and 50.000 showing sitcoms and Headlines. Much Like Channel 4. However, they'd lose a huge chunk of home produced programmes and that's what really keeps it on air. You have to have respect for those that came up with the Idea originally as it solved problems TV3 had quickly.

• Advertisement

In fairness it is peak listening for radio stations and most people grow up with the radio on in the morning rather than the TV. what would they expect at 7pm at night?

I heard LLL is only getting around 26,000 viewers which is a massive drop from Ireland AMs figure.

In fairness it is peak listening for radio stations and most people grow up with the radio on in the morning rather than the TV. what would they expect at 7pm at night?

I heard LLL is only getting around 26,000 viewers which is a massive drop from Ireland AMs figure.

Yes you're correct. But If Im an advertiser do I want to advertise on a medium that is being used at that time of morning generally by people who have cash, or on a medium which has a mix of waged, unemployed, retired, and just the TV on in the background.

Late Lunch Live figures are 26,000 as far as I'm aware, they were lower. However I believe they beat the figures that the Morning show was getting. Plus the demographics are supposed to be better.

However, none of these shows are really making money for TV3. If they could they'd drop the lot of them. Cheap stuff from the US would get in as many viewers at half the cost. They only have them on to keep the BAI happy.

If you take a look at the next seven days, Primetime is 7 to 10 or 11 depending on your point of view. If it's 7 to 11 that's 28 hours of output and only one hour of that is Irish, and I think the two programmes are repeats. Now that's shocking in anyone's book. They can only get away with that by pointing out what they do during the rest of the day, even when that's not generally the time people are watching.

However, none of these shows are really making money for TV3. If they could they'd drop the lot of them. Cheap stuff from the US would get in as many viewers at half the cost. They only have them on to keep the BAI happy.

Really they over do their commitment for the BAI. Why not just go back to 3 hours of Ireland AM an American programming an maybe 2 hours of in house programming in the afternoon, AFAIK they'd still be over their BAI quote, then they could concentrate on quality prime time programming.

It's daft to try to be 24HOUR all also aim for 50% Irish programming, there is no way its going to be quality.

Really they over do their commitment for the BAI. Why not just go back to 3 hours of Ireland AM an American programming an maybe 2 hours of in house programming in the afternoon, AFAIK they'd still be over their BAI quote, then they could concentrate on quality prime time programming.

It's daft to try to be 24HOUR all also aim for 50% Irish programming, there is no way its going to be quality.

I'd agree with that. However, it's a feather in the cap for the BAI to say that the station produces so much. Even if almost none of it goes out on primetime. The danger is that if they did reduce output the BAI would want it during primetime where it wouldn't work because it's such poor quality.

Plus it's as cheap for them to make Midday and Late lunch live as many of the same staff and studio are being used for the News, and Xpose.

That's why next year if money is way down you could see almost everything go in one swoop. They could hold on to XPose, and the evening show as they wouldn't have to shoot them in studio and a small broom cupboard to read News Headlines.

If you look at the latest Tam ratings their figures fall through the floor once the Soaps disappear. Advertisers will head off to UTV. It's not the Irish programmes that pay for the station it's the money they get in between 7 and 11. Once that disappears what happens?

If you take a look at the next seven days, Primetime is 7 to 10 or 11 depending on your point of view. If it's 7 to 11 that's 28 hours of output and only one hour of that is Irish, and I think the two programmes are repeats. Now that's shocking in anyone's book. They can only get away with that by pointing out what they do during the rest of the day, even when that's not generally the time people are watching.

I wouldn't look into summer time TV that much - most channels rest their heavy hitters for Autumn and Winter. Once September starts, they'll have a bigger range of home produced shows on at primetime. If you look at RTE2 next week - they have a similar lack of Irish programming.

I wouldn't look into summer time TV that much - most channels rest their heavy hitters for Autumn and Winter. Once September starts, they'll have a bigger range of home produced shows on at primetime. If you look at RTE2 next week - they have a similar lack of Irish programming.

Also a major problem for RTÉ TWO. Their US programmes are too accessible on other services to gain audiences.

Yes Channels do rest heavy hitters, but they have something to put in their place. ITV have had a great summer because of the world cup. If you're a commercial station you have to generate money, rain or shine. In the old days RTE practically closed down during the summer but that's not the case any more.

But there's the problem, We always have to make excuses for TV3. I'm not here to defend RTE 2 but last month it was the most watched channel in Ireland because of the policy RTE have of putting most of their Irish programmes on RTE1 and sport on RTE 2.

Having said that and we do the same test Over the 28 hours of primetime from today to next tuedsay there's 4 hours of output and 2 and a half of that is new.

The issue isn't even Irish programmes. It's the terrible scheduling I have an issue with.

Look at Next Tuesday on TV3 and you get

6.00 Xpose
    6.30 Bondi Rescue
    7.00 Emmerdale
    8.00 Cowboy Builders
    9.00 Killers Behind Bars
    10.00 Law and Order
    11.00 Tonight.

Now go back 10 years to Tuesday 3 Aug 2004 and you get

6.00 Family Affairs
    6.30 News
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Popcorn
    8.00 Family Law
    9.00 Cold Feet
    10.30 I'm Alan Partridge
    11.05 News Tonight
    11.35 Sport Tonight

So we have gone from a rounded TV station that seemed to be in the style of RTE, BBC and ITV to a station that's obsessed with reality TV and Crime. That would be justifiable if it worked but it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

they have some good programme rights but seem to excel in bad scheduling in fairness with no consistent appointment to view nights like that are needed in a crowded field. the people who watch emmerdale and corrie( the main advertising drivers) might have stayed on the dial for the next tv3 programme. Now they are not going to do that, they will be watching UTVIRL instead and will not think about changing to tv3.

There might be one bright spark for TV3 in 2015. Most of the week it's viewership is likely to plummet. However, If UTV were to block UTV Northern Ireland from Cable systems, On Saturdays when X factor and Britains got talent are on there would be nowhere else to go for most of those viewers except TV3.

So on that one day of the week it's possible it's Viewership will go up 10 or 20 percent. Expect Press Releases. I'd say the same for Downton Abbey but that's will be going out Autumn 2015 at the earliest (if a series is made in 2015 at all) and TV3 mightn't be around at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

TV3 will go bust from 2015, I can see maybe setanta sports trying to get TV3 and UTVI will move up the Saorview EPG and get some of the ITV rights from TV3

• Advertisement

Having said that and we do the same test Over the 28 hours of primetime from today to next tuedsay there's 4 hours of output and 2 and a half of that is new.

For the next 7 days, the only home-produced programmes that RTE Two are showing:
    • Big Wave BootCamp
    • Music Inc
    • Thank GAA it's Friday
    • Sunday Game Live
    • Mario Rosenstock
    • Soccer Republic
    6 Shows over 148 hours of TV along with small news bulletins. And they're getting a big chunk off the license fee.
    The issue isn't even Irish programmes. It's the terrible scheduling I have an issue with.

I think we can at least agree on this one (:eek:) I can defend their home produced shows, but in regards to their scheduling of uk shows and films - well it's just been horrendous over the last 2 years. Repeating a show 2 or 3 days later is completely unnecessary - as many can catch up online, on demand or they can record the series/episode at the time.

To have most of the Saturday evening lineup being repeated on the Sunday, and visa-versa just completely baffles me. It's ok for live events like The X Factor, but to show a repeat of The Cube at 8pm, then 4pm the next day, and then 8pm on 3e two days later is disgraceful, and these slots could easily be used for other shows.

Ghostbusters will be shown 3 times between Monday and Saturday on TV3 and 3e. Again, why do they feel the need to repeat the film so quickly? Give it at least a 8 month rest and show again. Viewers who would have seen the film on Monday, will not watch it again and again on 3e days later.

For the next 7 days, the only home-produced programmes that RTE Two are showing:
    • Big Wave BootCamp
    • Music Inc
    • Thank GAA it's Friday
    • Sunday Game Live
    • Mario Rosenstock
    • Soccer Republic
    6 Shows over 148 hours of TV along with small news bulletins. And they're getting a big chunk off the license fee.

You could work with The TV3 press department with that comment :D Mixing Shows with hours...

First of all it's a lot more than six shows, you have to consider the 100's of jobs in Ireland that the kids programmes provide outside of RTE because RTE by themselves or with partners have commission a lot of what going out on RTE2 Daytime.

Secondly TV is generally watched between 7 and 11. we can stretch that to 6 and 12 if you really want and weekend Afternoons. Those are the times that matter and the times when Advertisers pay the big money. It's at those times RTE put on their best programmes and home produced stuff. There are 6 hours alone of the Sunday Game going out next Sunday. What will TV3 be putting out? Another Day of repeats and not even an effort to counter schedule...Not everyone likes the GAA.

Thirdly, TV3 knew about the licence fee before they started broadcasting, They have complained constantly when they failed time after time. The BAI have jumped through hoops every time TV3 made a threat, they've complained about Saorview, and on and on.

On the other hand UTV Have come along and looked at the situation, applied for a licence and got it. No complaints that RTE has licence fee money, No complaints that the soaps cost too much.

It seems that even TV3 themselves think their programmes are terrible. Next Sunday as always they're running repeats all evening. Meanwhile a programme they made themselves with TV3 personalities is going out at 2.15 in the afternoon. Crossfire could go out instead at 6 or even later. The argument would be that it was only on the day before at 7.15 primetime. However, that never stops them with the Xfactor, Britains got talent or loads of other ITV shows.

So TV3 themselves don't have condfience in their own shows. (I actually Like Sean moncrieff)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

and a brand new Crossfire Celebrity Special, featuring Karen Koster, Elaine Crowley, Anna Daly and Ciara Doherty – which of the TV3 beauties will come out on top?

some celebrities they are!

Well it is the August Bank Holiday weekend but if they find this exciting God help them... You have to do the best with what you're given in PR but it's hard to get excited by any of this. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was on Channel 4 last week, so anyone who wants to see it has seen it...In HD. (excluding Saorview only houses of course)

"TV3 has announced an exciting schedule for the August Bank Holiday weekend with an entertaining movie line up including Irish Movie Premiere of Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, the classic romantic drama Dirty Dancing, science fiction thriller Minority Report and Irish classic Man About Dog."

The big problem I actually Have with Next Sunday night is that they have thrown that film into the schedule full of ITV repeats and Wentworth Prison. Why not have a Planet of the Apes night, or at the very least show a film between 7 and 9 that would build an audience for the Main film. What you're doing is annoying your typical ITV repeat watchers.

and a brand new Crossfire Celebrity Special, featuring Karen Koster, Elaine Crowley, Anna Daly and Ciara Doherty – which of the TV3 beauties will come out on top?

some celebrities they are!

They're not even A-list TV3 Celebrities,

Why Didn't they get Martin King, Lucy Kennedy, Alan Hughes, and Colette Fitzpatrick. Four faces people might recognize.

They're not even A-list TV3 Celebrities,

Why Didn't they get Martin King, Lucy Kennedy, Alan Hughes, and Colette Fitzpatrick. Four faces people might recognize.

funny on another thread someone was asking why it was so male driven :confused: I went into a rant :rolleyes:

Suppose the 4 lovely ladies from tv3 balance out the male driven contestants from the series :rolleyes:

First of all it's a lot more than six shows, you have to consider the 100's of jobs in Ireland that the kids programmes provide outside of RTE because RTE by themselves or with partners have commission a lot of what going out on RTE2 Daytime.

I'm not up to date with kids shows on whether they are home-produced or imports, but from what I can see over the next 7 days - I can't see any kids shows that RTE produced. And this is at a time where kids are off school so their viewership must raise a lot more than during the school year. But they instead show 1960's films - so should we mention that RTE don't have confidence in their own produced kids shows as well?
    Secondly TV is generally watched between 7 and 11. we can stretch that to 6 and 12 if you really want and weekend Afternoons. Those are the times that matter and the times when Advertisers pay the big money. It's at those times RTE put on their best programmes and home produced stuff.

Between 7-11, RTE2 have Big Wave Bootcamp (repeat), Music Inc (repeat), Thank GAA It's Friday, The Sunday Game, Mario Rosenstock (repeat). It's a worry when the only new home produced shows that they shows are GAA related - and as you said - not everyone likes GAA
    On the other hand UTV Have come along and looked at the situation, applied for a licence and got it. No complaints that RTE has licence fee money, No complaints that the soaps cost too much.

Why would UTV even state that the soaps cost too much? They haven't even been broadcasting yet, so i don't expect them to be complaining about much. Wait until the first few months, when figures regarding their programming outside the soaps are low, and then we'll see what happens.

RTÉ TWO is a mess even considering TRTÉ and the provision of RTÉjr (on 2 channels). Again going back to the fact that during the WC they didn't promote RTÉ TWO after the WC, instead they reverted back to the usual, it shows no confidence in the second channel out side of Children's and Sport. The children's budget has been slashed over the last 6 years (as has RTÉ Drama's budget). 2 minuscule budgets that really should be ring fenced.
    Between 7-11, RTE2 have Big Wave Bootcamp (repeat), Music Inc (repeat), Thank GAA It's Friday, The Sunday Game, Mario Rosenstock (repeat). It's a worry when the only new home produced shows that they shows are GAA related - and as you said - not everyone likes GAA

I think the point OnThe3rdDay is making is that TV3 don't really fight to get the other part of the audience not watching GAA, as you point out their Sat and Sun programmes are largely repeats and omnibus editions of soaps.
    Why would UTV even state that the soaps cost too much? They haven't even been broadcasting yet, so i don't expect them to be complaining about much. Wait until the first few months, when figures regarding their programming outside the soaps are low, and then we'll see what happens.

This is where hopefully UTV will understand to use the ITV Studios programming outside the 2 soaps and entertainment shows. In particular Drama.

Both RTÉ and TV3 who have good contracts with BBC and ITV (respectively) really haven't used them. It seems that TV3 completely ignore all programmes outside Soap and Entertainment, while RTÉ push BBC Drama to late night and early afternoon on Sat and Sun. E.G. The Lady Vanishes from the BBC airs Bank Holiday Monday at 2:20pm, their Prime consists of 3 repeats and EastEnders, while another BBC Drama Loving Miss Hatto stars at 23:40 yet the following day, Six-one is reduced by 30mins replaces by more repeats, on Thurday RTÉ repeat EcoEye and Ear To The Ground????

All haven't a clue IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Why do RTE keep repeating reeling in the years non stop ? Why don 't they show some classic Fair City or Glenroe during the summer instead ?

Advertisement