Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Elmo wrote: »
    Nothing to do with it, TV3 just didn't want to have to deal with News at the Weekend. No newsroom keeps a full set of reporters during the weekend.
    Why did Comreg let TV3 drop the weekend news?
    Of course when a majorly private news story reaches TV3 on a Saturday Bank Holiday they happily pretend that they always provide a 30 minute news on Bank Holidays and Weekends.
    Is that a reference to TV3's reporting of the late Brian Lenihan Jnr's cancer diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

endakenny wrote: »
    Why did Comreg let TV3 drop the weekend news?

Is that a reference to TV3's reporting of the late Brian Lenihan Jnr's cancer diagnosis?

The BCI (now BAI) gave into them as they always do, watch them give money towards Red Rock.

Oh yeah a report that was broadcast during a normal news programme on a Saturday.

Anyway they be F'ed

http://www.herald.ie/news/sybils-set-for-new-tv3-evening-show-30460525.html

Prime Time TV3

5:30 The 5:30
    6:00 Bondi Rescue
    6:30 Xposé
    7:30 The Evening Show
    8:00 Off There Rockers/???/Highland Rescue/Neville's Doorstep Challenge
    8:30 ???/Red Rock/Ireland's Animal A&E/Red Rock/???
    9:00 24 Hrs To Kill/???/Big Fat Gypsy/Film/America's Got Talent
    10:00 Wentworth/???/Josef Fritzl/Film/America's Got Talent
    11:00 Tonight/Film

Good to see Michael Ryan returning to TV screens he's missed on Nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Anyway they be F'ed

errrr no thats a different fella altogther.

http://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=1&view_pr=454:) anyway yes they are doomed with that sort of cheap junk schedule.

errrr no thats a different fella altogther.

http://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=1&view_pr=454:) anyway yes they are doomed with that sort of cheap junk schedule.

Yes I know I should have put a smilie face at the end of that sentence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Anyway they be F'ed

Prime Time TV3

5:30 The 5:30
    6:00 Bondi Rescue
    6:30 Xposé
    7:30 The Evening Show
    8:00 Off There Rockers/???/Highland Rescue/Neville's Doorstep Challenge
    8:30 ???/Red Rock/Ireland's Animal A&E/Red Rock/???
    9:00 24 Hrs To Kill/???/Big Fat Gypsy/Film/America's Got Talent
    10:00 Wentworth/???/Josef Fritzl/Film/America's Got Talent
    11:00 Tonight/Film

The important word in that report is "expected" Running the show at 7.30 would be completely nuts. However, I don't doubt that it could end up there. Extending Xpose to an hour is also nuts. It's basically an infomercial right now. They might get away with 30 minutes but the cracks already show. An hour will actually drive away many of the audience they have. Seriously, they could come up with any other plan and have a better chance of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think the brakes will firmly be put on Xpose once it goes on for the full hour every evening.

Just think of it lads and ladies from their word, 60 minutes of pure entertainment comprising of showbiz and fashion every single evening which should make you become a showbiz and fashion freak or can make you go completely clueless with all the gossip around you.

How lovely! NOT! :mad:

I think the brakes will firmly be put on Xpose once it goes on for the full hour every evening.

Just think of it lads and ladies from their word, 60 minutes of pure entertainment comprising of showbiz and fashion every single evening which should make you become a showbiz and fashion freak or can make you go completely clueless with all the gossip around you.

How lovely! NOT! :mad:

If it were 60 minutes of pure entertainment comprising of showbiz and fashion they might be able to justify it, but anytime I've watched it for more than 5 minutes it seems to be an ad or a plug for A nail polishing service or someone selling Dresses in Dublin. It's all product placement. There's very little gossip or information on it as they try to shift stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If it were 60 minutes of pure entertainment comprising of showbiz and fashion they might be able to justify it, but anytime I've watched it for more than 5 minutes it seems to be an ad or a plug for A nail polishing service or someone selling Dresses in Dublin. It's all product placement. There's very little gossip or information on it as they try to shift stock.

The thing is that the show is probably making this product placements on Xpose due to the fact that TV3 currently have a large debt on their back at the moment. In my view they need to get whatever money out of product placement deals they get as means of a financial contribution to keep reducing the debt down to zero even if it is highly impossible to do that task alone.

The thing is that the show is probably making this product placements on Xpose due to the fact that TV3 currently have a large debt on their back at the moment. In my view they need to get whatever money out of product placement deals they get to keep reducing the debt down to zero even if it is highly impossible to do it.

between the low payment rates for the people that work on the show and the various product placement and freebies, the show probably breaks even or even makes a small profit. However, it's more important because it provides a 2 and a half hours of home produced product every week, plus at least another 7 and a half hours of repeats (but TV3 count this as Original Irish output)

However you can see what happens next. Xpose extends to one hour in January. Within a few months It turns out they can't afford their News Service. However, If they Drop the 5.30 News they're not really going below a percentage of News and Current affairs programmes as Xpose has an extra half hour of entertainment News and Gossip.

Luckily they've already got a solution to the News problem. They'll just use their rip and read News Headlines Service that's going out on 3e.

So by this time next year likely schedule is.

5.58 TV3 Headline News
    6.00 Xpose
    6.58 TV3 Headline News
    7.00 Quiz Show
    7.30 Evening show.
    8.00 Film or Various Cheap filler shows from US or Australia
    10.00 Travellers/Crime/Misery Doc America Idol on Fridays.
    10.58 Headline News
    11.00 Best of Evening Show
    11.30 NCIS/Wentworth/Film
    Late Night, repeats of Xpose, Evening Show, Ireland AM.

If their soap comes on line that will also go on the schedule but there will be no programmes to put around it to build an audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Quote from the OP's link: "New talent announced today included comedian Jason Byrne alongside crime reporter Donal MacIntyre and economist, author and broadcaster David McWilliams."

Since when did Jason Byrne become a comedian??

Pretty much definate that Xposé will be going out for a full hour

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/exclusive-xposs-lisa-cannon-gets-3925232
    She hasn't set a date yet and with Xpose moving to a full hour show in September, it's a hectic schedule for the presenter, however Lisa is really excited about this new challenge.

She told the Irish Mirror: "It's going to be great, really exciting and we've loads of content.

"It won't be too different from the show right now but we're getting a whole new set so that's amazing.

"There'll be a new presenter joining us too, but we don't know who TV3 have decided on yet, we'll have to wait and see."

I don't usually read the showbiz gossip :o Though you've probably guest I am a huge fan of Xposé, bring on the hour.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

To be honest mate its beyond me and most people of a sane nature...

Meanwhile over at UTVI HQ... The biggest threat to TV3 since its foundation is taking shape...

UTV Ireland ‏@UTVIreland 1h
    Our HQ fit out is moving along nicely. Great work from @macinteriors10 #UTVIreland #Excited pic.twitter.com/Y8jIMMEukU

BtpyI2yIEAAEuyz.jpg:large

That's just it, they don't even understand their own audience. There would be certain people, mostly women that will watch 25 minutes of Xpose instead of six-one. However, I would think that's the limit of it. Unless you're appearing on the show people will turn over to see what else is on.

Much as I dislike the show there is an audience for it. The show as it is works because it's off within half an hour and the audience can then move on to Hollyoaks or Home and Away. What they'll end up doing is actually drive down their viewership overall making it less attractive to advertisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Tv3 seem to think they are in cloud cuckoo land and are like the ostrich in the sand. If they think an hour of expose and a half hour of lite bite soft focus clap trap will attract enough advertising revenue they are in for a big suprise. Anyway this time next year will tell a lot. utvI will be 7 months on air and will have bedded in.

Tv3 seem to think they are in cloud cuckoo land and are like the ostrich in the sand. If they think an hour of expose and a half hour of lite bite soft focus clap trap will attract enough advertising revenue they are in for a big suprise. Anyway this time next year will tell a lot. utvI will be 7 months on air and will have bedded in.
    Yep I think if TV3 can survive into 2016 they will be doing well - unless there are major (and I mean major) changes in programming and schedule UTVI will close them and close them quick.

Of course TV3 did know that this wouldn't work years ago. That's why they came up with Ireland AM. What goes out during that show wouldn't be fit for purpose any time after lunchtime when more and more people start to turn on their TV sets. However what Ireland AM gave TV3 was the freedom to basically put on popular UK and US programmes between 7 and 11pm. They were able to show the BAI their commitment to Irish Shows while not spending very much cash.

It was the same with Xpose, they were able to cut back their News by introducing Xpose which cost a lot less money and actually comes close to breaking even.

With Home programmes covered they could then show whatever they wanted to make money in Primetime. This policy didn't really work but at least it did show that TV3 management had some idea of the quality of what they were producing.

The end when it comes will probably be quick and happen within hours of the announcement, much like Century back in the early 90's
    A buyout by someone...anyone is the only real chance it'll be on air in 18 months

However, Now all their big programmes have been taken by UTV and to a lesser extent SKY. They have very little to offer from Jan 1. Trying to use poor Daytime programmes to shore up Primetime is never going to work.

It's a small station in a small market that has never made a real profit. In fact their losses over the last decade are shocking when you consider how little they produce and how few they employ. A real sign of this was how long they allowed their quiz show and psychics were left on to broadcast. Profits from those enterprises would have been slim in international terms.

Technically TV3 were making a profit by 2001 and still are AFAIK, their loan is an expense rather than a loss. The problem was it was over priced and they assume ITV couldn't find another buyer.

ITV must have been very annoyed at TV3 to suggest the shows to UTV.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep I think if TV3 can survive into 2016 they will be doing well - unless there are major (and I mean major) changes in programming and schedule UTVI will close them and close them quick.

The end when it comes will be quick and it'll happen within hours of the announcement. Much like Century in the early 90's. All was going well at lunchtime. The station was closed at 6pm.

I'd be surprised if they're on air in 18 months time without major changes, or a buyout...will someone...anyone buy them?

Technically TV3 were making a profit by 2001 and still are AFAIK, their loan is an expense rather than a loss. The problem was it was over priced and they assume ITV couldn't find another buyer.

ITV must have been very annoyed at TV3 to suggest the shows to UTV.

Yes technically they were but accountancy can be a magical world. They had debts either written off or parked of about 150million give or take a few million.

So TV3 makes losses in real terms but can show a profit.
    On the other hand Hollywood studios with blockbusters worth billions never turn a profit... Which looks the better bet?

I think ITV know how much their programmes are worth and got it from UTV, business pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

No, according to TV3 the shows had run their course. It was just a coincidence that it happened after all the complaints, the judgements by the BAI and the general heat that the shows were generating in the wrong way. Plus I'm fairly certain they'd have been VERY disappointed with their share of the funds once the company in eastern Europe took it's share.

If there had been decent money coming from that source I don't know if they'd ever have taken them off. They just weren't worth the fight in the long run.

I think ITV know how much their programmes are worth and got it from UTV, business pure and simple.

Clearly TV3 though they could play hard ball with ITV and to an extent they were probably right, ITV must have come to the conclusion that they'd never get RTÉ back on board as it would be political suicide for the "dual" funded state broadcaster, and then though of letting UTV know TV3's intentions. UTV seem to suggest that TV3 dropped the ball was it widely know that TV3 was planning to let go of the programmes????

Clearly TV3 though they could play hard ball with ITV and to an extent they were probably right, ITV must have come to the conclusion that they'd never get RTÉ back on board as it would be political suicide for the "dual" funded state broadcaster, and then though of letting UTV know TV3's intentions. UTV seem to suggest that TV3 dropped the ball was it widely know that TV3 was planning to let go of the programmes????

Well it would be interesting to see what they actually offered ITV. I think that if UTV hadn't purchased the soaps they could have then gone to RTE. they could have purchased the soaps and justified them by pointing out they made a profit for the station. Putting them on RTE2 would have given the station a huge boost. Obviously TV3 would have threatened to go to court or suchlike. TV3 never in a million years would have dropped the programmes. What they worked out as the worst outcome... the soaps would have stopped and a press campaign would have started to get the shows back from the EVIL ITV... They just didn't think that ITV would go elsewhere.

However, UTV must have thought they were dreaming when this happened. Getting back their Market share in the republic will boost profits, share prices and strengthen their operation overall.

Oddly enough that's probably why the GAA went to SKY. The same negotiations would have started. However, the GAA are a bit smarter than that. Plus I would assume that money to the GAA would have been paid in installments and there's no Guarantee that TV3 will be around next year. SKY on the other hand are as sure as you can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Of course TV3 did know that this wouldn't work years ago. That's why they came up with Ireland AM. What goes out during that show wouldn't be fit for purpose any time after lunchtime when more and more people start to turn on their TV sets. However what Ireland AM gave TV3 was the freedom to basically put on popular UK and US programmes between 7 and 11pm. They were able to show the BAI their commitment to Irish Shows while not spending very much cash.

TV3 produced Ireland AM in 1999 because they saw a big gap in the breakfast/morning TV market. Before Ireland AM, they would have begun their day at 11:30am. Starting at 7am so brought lots of advertisements, and sponsorship deals for the shows.

I disagree that the material isn't fit for purpose after lunch time. The Daily Show or whatever RTE have in the afternoons for a small portion of the year has a similar layout of fashion, food, chat and news.

It serves its audience well for that time in the morning. Look at how much of a mess Channel 4 and now ITV have gotten into with breakfast TV - audiences decreasing year or year after many changes over the past few years.

I'm sure it is an expensive show to make - you've four/five full time presenters, along with the news and sport team, backroom staff, getting all the features together from gardening, cooking to fashion - for 3 hours a day and around 250 shows a year.
    It was the same with Xpose, they were able to cut back their News by introducing Xpose which cost a lot less money and actually comes close to breaking even.

They didn't cut back on the news - their news was at 5:30 and 6:30. The 6:30 news was an exact copy of the 5:30 news. What Xpose brought was an extra 30mins of entertainment news alongside fashion and events info. It also employed 5 full time presenters alongside a whole new backstage team.
    However, Now all their big programmes have been taken by UTV and to a lesser extent SKY. They have very little to offer from Jan 1. Trying to use poor Daytime programmes to shore up Primetime is never going to work.

The One Show works very successfully on BBC One, and is on 5 days a week, and holds a good audience up against Emmerdale at 7pm. This is the type of programming that TV3 need to give it at least a chance to cope against the soaps.

I am happy that at least they are combatting the shows they are losing with home produced programming.

To an extent I can agree with you @iseegirls

Ireland AM's initial start was certainly a gap in the market, RTÉ's weren't providing a Live Morning programme and even the hour pre-recorded of 2TV wasn't up to much. However Ireland AM also had the effect of stretching out TV3's schedule, with a 2 hour morning show TV3 could meet it Irish daily requirements and also increase the number of ads its sold. So TV3 were now able to go from 7am to 2am daily. It's a cheap 3hours in comparison to Prime Time TV.

Channel 4 took the view that 2 Live morning shows from ITV and BBC were the only Breakfast shows necessary in the market, only News channels provide breaky news none of the newer entertainment channels have attempted the morning breakfast show. I wonder if Breaky TV has taken a hit due to online media though it seems ITV really don't know what they are doing.

TV3 News @5:30 and @6:30 was largely a repeat and TV3 did go to the BAI to get out of their commitment to News. However Xposé was also supposed to provide a certain amount of Irish Entertainment news with reports on new Bands, Film, Art events etc etc I know on occasion they have featured.

After that Daytime and Morning TV have been about additional hours, on one side to be reach requirement set out by the BAI and on the other to be able to say they have 40% of their programming coming from Ireland, but mainly to be able to have a 24hour schedule to sell more advertising.

All are in house and employ staff that TV3 had due to requirements for News and Current Affairs.

The BBC can get away with The ONE Show because it provide a great mix of TV out side Daytime Chat even when you look at Daytime on BBC ONE.

TV3 on the other had provide largely in-house in-studio programming and very little outside of this.

Ireland AM, Midday, 12:30 News, Late Lunch Live, 5:30 News, Xposé and Tonight.

I can't see the audience hanging around for an extra 30mins of Xposé (the gap isn't that big) and another 30mins of in-studio programming.

And none of these shows are repeatable. If TG4 was to only have transmission fees given to them for a year, they could happily repeat many of their Docs and Dramas, TV3 on the other hand if it were to try to drop all Irish programming in favour of repeats could not show any of the past episodes of any of the shows mentioned above and would possible last 3 months before starting to repeat again.

To an extent I can agree with you @iseegirls

Ireland AM's initial start was certainly a gap in the market, RTÉ's weren't providing a Live Morning programme and even the hour pre-recorded of 2TV wasn't up to much. However Ireland AM also had the effect of stretching out TV3's schedule, with a 2 hour morning show TV3 could meet it Irish daily requirements and also increase the number of ads its sold. So TV3 were now able to go from 7am to 2am daily. It's a cheap 3hours in comparison to Prime Time TV.

It was a gap in the market but with good reason, There was no real audience at that time of Morning, there still isn't. Look at the UK where ITV keep relaunching and the audience stands still or falls. Ireland AM was great for TV3 as it did give them the chance to fill out their Irish TV quota. Go back to when it started and you'll find almost no Irish programmes on at Prime time. That's never what the BAI intended when the licence was given out.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    TV3 produced Ireland AM in 1999 because they saw a big gap in the breakfast/morning TV market. Before Ireland AM, they would have begun their day at 11:30am. Starting at 7am so brought lots of advertisements, and sponsorship deals for the shows.

First of all they would have begun their day at 8.00 or earlier with infomercials. You get more money for them if you broadcast them between 6am and midday than in the middle of the night. There was a gap in the market in the sense that RTE didn't have a show on, but for the first few years many of those advertisements you saw were freebies. they were thrown in because of the advertising bought later in the day and I can tell you advertising agencies weren't interested because figures were so low.
    I disagree that the material isn't fit for purpose after lunch time. The Daily Show or whatever RTE have in the afternoons for a small portion of the year has a similar layout of fashion, food, chat and news.
    Yes and RTE don't show it in primetime, It's not fit for purpose after 6 O Clock.
    It serves its audience well for that time in the morning. Look at how much of a mess Channel 4 and now ITV have gotten into with breakfast TV - audiences decreasing year or year after many changes over the past few years.

Channel 4 were correct in their analysis that Breakfast TV wasn't watched in this side of the world, not like in America where there's a different TV culture. Different ways to consume news have also eaten into the audience. But as you say yourself audiences do decrease year after year in Britain. It's hard for them to decrease in Ireland as they're already so small.
    I'm sure it is an expensive show to make - you've four/five full time presenters, along with the news and sport team, backroom staff, getting all the features together from gardening, cooking to fashion - for 3 hours a day and around 250 shows a year.

The way TV3 are set up it's not expensive to make.

They didn't cut back on the news - their news was at 5:30 and 6:30. The 6:30 news was an exact copy of the 5:30 news. What Xpose brought was an extra 30mins of entertainment news alongside fashion and events info. It also employed 5 full time presenters alongside a whole new backstage team.

They dropped 2 and a half hours of news a week and replaced it with basically an infomercial for nice dresses, jewelery and make up, with 5 minutes of entertainment news at the start. The presenters (who are on terrible wages by any standards) were mostly working for TV3 already. There was no new backstage team, it was all the same staff. It was a cutback on output plain and simple. I will say it was clever at the time because it provided something different to what RTE offered. However it quickly turned into what it is now.
    The One Show works very successfully on BBC One, and is on 5 days a week, and holds a good audience up against Emmerdale at 7pm. This is the type of programming that TV3 need to give it at least a chance to cope against the soaps.

The One show is a decent show with a lot of money put into it. That won't be the case for TV3's show. Plus TV3 show will either be competing against Soaps or Nationwide, it's a terrible move.

Anyway it's probably just a move to get rid of Tonight and the News in the long run. Remember we gain the new evening show but we lose FYI on 3e. Now that was something half original. There's no overall gain in Home production for this show.

Advertisement