Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If your any good at basic flat pack furniture IKEA could be worth having a look around or build your own desk . If you see anyody clearing out a house a skip could be handy for some free wood .

Yeah +1 for IKEA, I went there last month and put this together. It's much better then what I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ugh lefties :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77841149

mebbe some suggestions chairwise here

the one I got is pretty awesome although pretty expensive too. if you're gona be spending several hours a day for the next couple of years in it... imo worth spending a bit of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=59766&agid=1004&apop=2

good to see that the 7850 is dropping down in price :D Although it is a 1GB version (which should be fine for 1080p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

I recently bought a chair in Ikea. Couldn't afford the Markus so went a step down: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S79894445/

Very comfortable so far and had it built in 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Monotype wrote: »
    So what were these entertaining circumstances?

HDTune is geared more towards HDDs to be fair, so results often show up as fairly poor for SSDs.

A newer SSD could get you 500MB a second in read. In reality, you probably wouldn't notice a big difference as the main noticeable 'speed' is in the very fast access times. Then again, I suppose if you were running enormous games which move several GB into memory several times a day, you probably would.

Splitting them up and using one as SRT seems a bit silly since you'd already have another SSD in the system.

You could
    1) leave things as they are. This isn't a bad idea as you get better speed than a single drive.
    2) split them as keep both as regular storage. Read speeds would have dropped a bit but on the other hand, drives should be in better shape and the chances are that you wouldn't notice a big drop. You might waste a little more space given that you'd have two 'drives' now instead of one. You could span them, although I don't know how this would effect TRIM.
    3) get a new drive. Your existing drives aren't bad but on the other hand, they've come down in price a lot. I would go down this route if you had somewhere to put the other drives - into a secondary computer or selling or doing someone with a slow PC a favour who's needs wouldn't exceed 64GB.

I had an argument with someone in another forum and ended up with an infraction - I won't name names as I can't remember exactly who it was. Shadows name seems awfully familiar though :P

I've only the two SSDs total so I'm wondering if using one for windows and 1 for caching would speed up my poor 2TB RAID 0 which my games are on. If it wont cache a raid array even just a single 1TB drive - I generally onle play one or two game a lot and the system taking care of what to mirror seems attractive.

I suppose a third SDD is the answer really and to install the latest games there. I must have a look at that video on how to get steam to use multiple locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

N64 wrote: »
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=59766&agid=1004&apop=2

good to see that the 7850 is dropping down in price :D Although it is a 1GB version (which should be fine for 1080p)

That's gone up in price. It was a euro cheaper a month ago!

@GCDLawstudent - Is steam mover the one that you're looking for?

@ Monotype - not really sure need to do some looking. I thought I saw a Linus Tech tips on it but thanks that app is probably a good place to start.

Any thoughts on RST caching in my scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The Linus tech tips was just showing how to install your steam games if you already have the installed game on another HDD and want to install the game on a new/different computer without having to download the full game again.

As far as I know you have to have all your steam games in the folder that steam installs the game to. There is no way to change the installation directory of games as you install them through steam.
    The only way I know of installing steam games to a different directory than the one steam puts it into is using the app Mono linked to.

• Advertisement

BTW while I'm thinking of new toys - has anyone seen anything regarding VR goggles - I've seen some Sony ones operating at 720p but cant find much info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Yeah +1 for IKEA, I went there last month and put this together. It's much better then what I had before.

I'm assuming the first pic is the new desk?

Btw I now have a keyboard just like yours ;) arrived from scan (in a massive box containing that airbag-padding around the qpad box itself) earlier today.
    Is that a samsung S23A700D screen you have there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

If you guys are looking for cheapish office chairs just try vikingdirect.ie

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I'm assuming the first pic is the new desk?

Btw I now have a keyboard just like yours ;) arrived from scan (in a massive box containing that airbag-padding around the qpad box itself) earlier today.
    Is that a samsung S23A700D screen you have there?

Yeah, the first picture. Playing games on the other one was a pain because the shelf would move around a lot. Which Qpad did you go for? I've got the MK-85. Was bought from OverclockersUK last week. I'm loving it so far. The screen is a Samsung S23A300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

That's gone up in price. It was a euro cheaper a month ago!

@GCDLawstudent - Is steam mover the one that you're looking for?

Still relatively cheap compared to other 7850's on the market :o:P

Any thoughts on RST caching in my scenario?

Well to me, SRT is ideal for those 30GB hard drives that are now getting kind of useless as a standalone drive but would be fantastic when paired with a HDD.
    When you have 128GB, I'd be thinking that you could fit most of the programs that you need on there. On the other hand, with big game libraries at sizes like half a terrabyte, it becomes a more attractive solution. On the plus side, it needs little maintenance - second or third time you load up your program, it's sped up. On the other hand, you do have to wait a few goes for it to become effective, so if you're not running the same stuff regularly, it won't help at all. It might be worthwhile that you don't get TRIM for this either. I've said it a few times before, but I think it's worthwhile mentioning again, that Windows 7's superfetch does a very good job of caching by itself in RAM, looking at times that you open some programs etc. Obviously though, you're a bit more limited in RAM space than SSD.

So, it could be a good idea if you have a big load of files, want low hassle with regard to moving files around and during any one time period, you'll be sticking somewhat to the same few programs.

Got the qpad m85 (red switches) from scan.

Originally I was thinking of getting one with brown switches by ordering direct from qpad, but then read some peoples comments & was persuaded that red was better for gaming purposes.
    Also, better feel for someone not used to a mechanical keyboard.

btw is your tower sitting on the floor, or is that a seperate cabinet you have for it at the side?

I was looking for something similar on ikea site, (I have about the same space restrictions as your alcove there), but couldnt see anything suitable.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Got the qpad m85 (red switches) from scan.

Originally I was thinking of getting one with brown switches by ordering direct from qpad, but then read some peoples comments & was persuaded that red was better for a build more geared to gaming.
    Also, better feel for someone not used to a mechanical keyboard.

Yeah, it's a real leap of faith when you can't try the switches out before you buy. I'm happy with the reds though.

This is the cabinet I got, http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40162496/

ah thx, thats great, I didn't think of looking under legs & trestles :D

Thanks Mono - I'll mull it over. 64GB should be enough for Windows and the Apps I use.

I've two 7200RPM random 1TB drives in RAID 0 I dont think they are faster in RAID than a single 1TB drive - I'm going to do a bit of testing on that over the next few days. If I the HDD RAID isn't giving me a performance increase I'll try taking my SDD RAID-0 apart and try caching.

I generally play the same game or couple of games. It really only became an issue with the recent purchase of BF3 - that thing takes ages to load off my 2TB RAID-0.

Incidentally has anyone had any issues with a BSOD and RAID arrays verifying. I'm messing about over clocking and if I push it to far and get a BSOD 2 of my RAID arrays go haywire. The third (boot array of SSDs) is on a separate controller and doesn't have any issues.

I bought myself one of those docking stations you can just drop an internal HDD into so I think I'm going to stop using RAID as it seems more trouble than its worth. I'll just drop in a HDD into the dock and hit the clone button once a week!

My setup is a Z77 Sabertooth - on that did anyone else have any issues with this board or boards in general pumping loads of power to the CPU by default. I was getting 1.3v going to my i5-3570K before I went into the BIOS and reduced it as much as I could. Happily bombing along at 4.3Ghz on 1.18 now.

Last random non-sequitur is 1GHz clock and 1150Mhz memory a good OC for a 6870 at stock voltage?

Thanks sorry this is probably a bit of a TL:DR. Is this the right thread for this stuff or should I start a Please help GCD thread for all my crud? If anyone wants legal advice in a few years I'll be happy to oblige ;)

• Advertisement

I do love it when blind luck is on your side.

Bought some RAM off adverts - noting special some lad selling Samsung generic RAM. 16Gb (4x4Gb) 1333Mhz stuff thought that'll do the job. Only thing I asked him for (other than haggling a bit) was for 4 matching DIMMs.

Wasn't overly impressed when he handed it to me without so much as a anti static bag but hey can't go wrong for what I paid for it.

Just read some bits by Mono about how faster memory may give better performance when you OC. So having loads to do I thought I must get round to over clocking my PC (Procrastination is a specialty).

Imagine my surprise when I do a quick search to find out some specs and find that people have this stuff running at 2133 :D:D:D

Not bad for some second-hand random ram off adverts lol Its M378B5273DH0-CH9 incase anyone cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

ascopybenchsamsungssd83.png
    It's really a shame my motherboard sucks at sata3.

This is a Samsung 830 256GB.
    Would I be better off switching it to a sata2 port?
    What should I be seeing here?

Did you enable AHCI? If you haven't, you need to enable it in the registry first now that you have windows installed..... you did do a fresh install, didn't you?

Did you enable AHCI? If you haven't, you need to enable it in the registry first now that you have windows installed..... you did do a fresh install, didn't you?

Yeah, ahci was enabled in the bios.
    My board uses a maravell(sp?) sata3 chip, and it's supposed to be terrible.

What this aboot enabling ahci in the registry?
    Googled it and checked, it's set to 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

0 means off :pac:

Saw your results in the other thread too. They're a bit low. Have you got any other ports that you can run on? Intel controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

830test.png
    My 128gb Samsung 830. I still think it should be going faster though.

Also, I have to give my 3930k a LOT of volts to hold 4.5Ghz. Is 1.368v too high? I've turned speedstep off because I didn't like how it felt, when I have my computer on I would always like it to be as responsive as possible. Although if I could have speedstep stay at 3.2ghz then boost to 4.5 that would be great, I didn't know what to do with offset overclocking though. Cpu idles at 35ish degrees at this voltage too. Cooling with a h100 with stock fans.

Are you using the Marvell SATA port as well frozen?

Are you using the Marvell SATA port as well frozen?

mvs91xx, yes she is.

benchp.pngasssdbenchsamsungssd830m.png
    Installed the mvs91xx driver, got these results.

bench2.pngasssdbenchsamsungssd830u.png
    uninstalled, and rolled back to msahci, got these results.

• Advertisement

Well spotted. That's even worse than the reads on the other thread that you posted. Looks like the Marvell controller really is bad. I had a look around the net and a lot of people are posting similar results on it. :(
    That's one thing that AMD have done very well in their boards. It's a shame Intel can't be bothered doing as well.

If you don't have another controller and you want to do something about it, then the solution would be to get a PCI-E card for better SATA. They seem to be €30-40 for an OK looking one.
    I'd look at updating the motherboard BIOS and checking that the SSD has the latest firmware first.

Advertisement