Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Centennial IPA is a bit disappointing though it does smell fresh, All Day IPA is one of the best sessionable (or hipster as I have been led to believe ;) ) IPAs I've had and very fresh tasting, Porter is just lovely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll have to take a spin out to Ranelagh next time I'm in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The porter is gorgeous.

Imported by porterhouse and they're going to be regulars.

Now get some of KBS in please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I'll have to take a spin out to Ranelagh next time I'm in Dublin!

It's imported by grand cru so should be in the usual spots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I had Founders porter on tap in the States earlier this year and thought it was amazing.

Does anyone know if any of this Founders shipment will be distributed to Galway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The porter is gorgeous.

Imported by porterhouse and they're going to be regulars.

Now get some of KBS in please :)

I'd say its Grand Cru, not porterhouse.

They are all available in Against the Grain as of the other day (according to their facebook).

I had Founders porter on tap in the States earlier this year and thought it was amazing.

Does anyone know if any of this Founders shipment will be distributed to Galway?

Just ask Salt House, Bierhaus and MacCambridge's if they will get them.

If they can be got in Dublin, they can be got in Galway, Grand Cru supply a lot of their beers anyway.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd say its Grand Cru, not porterhouse.

They are all available in Against the Grain as of the other day (according to their facebook).

You're right sorry, I don't know many importers but the guy who runs the off licence where I bought founders said they were imported by Wally in Porterhouse. He's got a bit of a head-cold so I can guess he was talking about Wally in Grand Cru or they're the same (i don't know :pac:).

You're right sorry, I don't know many importers but the guy who runs the off licence where I bought founders said they were imported by Wally in Porterhouse. He's got a bit of a head-cold so I can guess he was talking about Wally in Grand Cru or they're the same (i don't know :pac:).

same person. There is some sort of an overlap between grand Cru and porterhouse but they are different companies.

• Advertisement

ah i look like a right wally now :pac:

ah i look like a right wally now :pac:

Not at all at all, unless you worked somewhere where you;d be dealing with the company or knew the lads there is no way you'd know in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Having a pint of the Galway Bay and Trouble Brewing collaboration called Troubled Hooker on draught in Against The Grain now. Have to say its quite tasty. Aromatic and flavorsome. Amber colour and medium carbonation.

Passenger wrote: »
    Having a pint of the Galway Bay and Trouble Brewing collaboration called Troubled Hooker on draught in Against The Grain now. Have to say its quite tasty. Aromatic and flavorsome. Amber colour and medium carbonation.

I had in cask in Kavanagh's on cask and Against the Grain on draught recently and thought it was great in both formats but prefered the cask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I had in cask in Kavanagh's on cask and Against the Grain on draught recently and thought it was great in both formats but prefered the cask.

I left the ****e that erdinger were pouring for a pint if it in the brewdock.
    Probably my best decision of the night!

I think they (both, one, who cares) should keep it as a permanently available beer, it's one of the best beers from either brewery imho.

• Advertisement

I think they (both, one, who cares) should keep it as a permanently available beer, it's one of the best beers from either brewery imho.

They both probably can't brew it at the same time but they could easily share costs and hopefully profits.

I'm really liking what some of the brewers are putting out at the moment especially there one offs.
    In fact I'm preferring the one offs over their regular beers. (few exceptions maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

It's not Galway Bay who are 50% responsible for that thoogh, it's Galway Hooker. Nice beer though and would be great if it was a permanent one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is that Kavanagh's as in the Gravediggers?

The one on Dorset st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This is the best beer I've ever had..

oFyoRzL.jpg?1

...is what I'd like to say. It's not, it tastes a lot like unfermented wort. I have to tell the father-in-law to stop bringing me home beer from Lithuania. "Alus" is Lithuanian for beer if anybody is wondering. :)

I also had a bottle of Trooper earlier. Much nicer than I thought it'd be, along the lines of Proper Job/Tribute from St. Austells but with slightly earthier/spicy hops.

Had a can of Oskar Blues Deviant Dale’s India Pale Ale last night. Top top beer. Very similar to SN Torpedo but without the harsh bitterness. At 8% I'm surprised it's labelled as just being an IPA though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had a Punk and a Full Sail earlier.
    Now trying a Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier due to being recommended it in Carry Out earlier.
    It's not wowing me by any stretch of the imagination. I guess I just don't like this type of beer, just a bit too malty and not "big" enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I toasted the arrival of our first child this afternoon with a pint of buried at sea in the black sheep, which is conveniently located within walking distance of the rotunda!

As nice as the stout is, it was probably one of the most enjoyable pints I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Paulaner & Hofbrauhaus Oktobterfest, 6% & 6.3% respectively. The Paulaner is better, as expected.

G rock wrote: »
    I toasted the arrival of our first child this afternoon with a pint of buried at sea in the black sheep, which is conveniently located within walking distance of the rotunda!

As nice as the stout is, it was probably one of the most enjoyable pints I've ever had.

Feck the beer. Congratulations to you and have a few more! :)

God knows, you won't have many chances over the next few months. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭seanin4711

silky smooth ipa in dunnes 3 for 8 euro
    nice stuff
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/worthingtons-white-shield/286/:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Founder's Centennial IPA for me, nice mid west IPA

My last can of St Austell Tribute from my holidays :(

Founders Porter. Fantastic beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Ayingers Brauweisse - bloody good stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tuatara Bohemian Pilsner
    Mikkeller Green Gold

Enjoyable enough. I actually preferred the IPA. I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy more (they're not my favourite styles of beer) but I'd happily try both again if offered.

• Advertisement

As in WJ Kavanagh's owned by the same lads as Mulligans. The cask is well gone now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Seems Metalman have come out with a Smoked beer, now I love Schlenkerla, so I'm quite intrigued to try this.

I just saw it on Farrington's FB page, and I'm actually heading in there tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

20130928_174824_zpse46f76d3.jpg

From Left to right; Brouwerij de Prael Quadrupel hop, Brouwerij'TIJ IPA, Jopen Jacobsen RPA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Seems Metalman have come out with a Smoked beer, now I love Schlenkerla, so I'm quite intrigued to try this.

I just saw it on Farrington's FB page, and I'm actually heading in there tonight.

I tried it in the B&C yesterday and it's very good. Wouldn't be as smoky as Schlenkerla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

I'm really enjoying this also; "Emelisse Black IPA" Absolutely Gorgeous stuff.

20130928_202821_zpsca9bcb84.jpg

Founders All Day IPA. Beautiful lemony, grassy aromas that carry through onto the taste. Extremely nice beer. I've had 2 from Founders so far and I'm really really impressed.

Night out got cancelled, so instead I went to the off licence.

I picked up a 4 pack of Paulaner Oktoberfest, with a free tankard. Yes, I'm a sucker, sue me :)

I also picked up a nice selection

954884_10151677542258873_409274153_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Rogue American amber ale and Rogue Hazelnut brown nectar, after that some homebrew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Good luck with the mikkeller beer. Unless you absolutely love bourbon, I'd share that one with a craft beer friend. I couldn't finish it myself.

• Advertisement

I absolutely love Whisky Barrel aged beers :) Probably won't get round to it this evening though, it's 11%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Having a couple of bottles of Brew Dogs Dead Pony Club, very nice.

I'm making a dent in my stock of whiskey aged homebrew stout tonight, I must get another batch done for Christmas.

Kinnegar Brewing Rustbucket Rye Ale. Not as nice out of the bottle compared to when I had it at the RDS Beerfest. Still a very nice beer, but it's screaming out for more hops. I think they had a dry hopped version at the festival?

I'm now convinced that a good Rye Ale needs a big hop kick to balance it out. Any of the ones I've tried with minimal hops just seem like they're missing something.

I'm making a dent in my stock of whiskey aged homebrew stout tonight, I must get another batch done for Christmas.
    Really? How did you age it?

You're right, I'm not particularly fond of regular IPAs (it's dangerous admitting that around here!), but Ruthless Rye is one of my favourite beers, I think the rye in that is a great compliment to the hops. It's a lovely flavoured beer, strong on the hop, but the Rye takes the edge off just enough to make it enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

What was the carbonation like for that Bazmo ? Just had a Kinnegar Scraggy Bay, started off quite nice but went so flat so fast. If they could fix that, would probably make it a regular buy.

shepherd neame double stout is delicious, there's a lovely roasted bitterness in the finish.

I don't usually like the SN stuff, and just picked this up to have a stout tonight.

jsa112 wrote: »
    What was the carbonation like for that Bazmo ? Just had a Kinnegar Scraggy Bay, started off quite nice but went so flat so fast. If they could fix that, would probably make it a regular buy.

Didn't notice either way at the beginning so it must've been fine, but I'm just finishing the last of it now and it's probably a little light on carbonation but nothing major.

Just thinking there, I'd say this'd be a great beer to try with a Randall. :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Really? How did you age it?

Oak chips in the fermenter, not anywhere as good as using a proper barrel obviously but as a Fran Well Jameson stout imitation its not too bad for a kit beer. Most people who have tried it liked it anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Oak chips in the fermenter, not anywhere as good as using a proper barrel obviously but as a Fran Well Jameson stout imitation its not too bad for a kit beer. Most people who have tried it liked it anyway :)

Oak chips soaked in whiskey or what? How is it whiskey barrel aged?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement