Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying Safe

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Just to say, I previously posted about taxi driver incidents and women getting home safely - quite a few people brushed it off as urban myth, however, please see this article in today's paper
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sinister-figures-hiding-in-backs-of-taxis-hailed-by-women-at-night-1484631.html

Better to be safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just to say, I previously posted about taxi driver incidents and women getting home safely - quite a few people brushed it off as urban myth, however, please see this article in today's paper
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sinister-figures-hiding-in-backs-of-taxis-hailed-by-women-at-night-1484631.html

Better to be safe than sorry

If its in a raggy tabloid like the Independant then it's hardly a real worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭wee bear

that happened to someone i know, outside coppers, very recently, the taxi man asked her to get in the front but luckily she wasnt very drunk and didnt get into the front seat but when she opened the back door there was a guy hiding on the floor!!! she managed to run away, luckily for her,

i tell you that has scared the b'jesus outta me!!! im really freaked now.

i would never get into the front of a taxi no matter how drunk i was, its ingrained in me i think, but i know plenty of girls that do and until that happened, never even thought that it might be dangerous.

really really scary!!
    how do you really protect yourself when you are in a taxi??
    in the front he could have somebody i n the back or could stick a knife into your side, but in the back he could lock all the doors i guess!! are we scr*wed either way???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

wee bear wrote: »
    that happened to someone i know, outside coppers, very recently, the taxi man asked her to get in the front but luckily she wasnt very drunk and didnt get into the front seat but when she opened the back door there was a guy hiding on the floor!!! she managed to run away, luckily for her,

i tell you that has scared the b'jesus outta me!!! im really freaked now.

i would never get into the front of a taxi no matter how drunk i was, its ingrained in me i think, but i know plenty of girls that do and until that happened, never even thought that it might be dangerous.

really really scary!!
    how do you really protect yourself when you are in a taxi??
    in the front he could have somebody i n the back or could stick a knife into your side, but in the back he could lock all the doors i guess!! are we scr*wed either way???

How weird. That's the 5th time I've heard that story today. Twice I've been told that the guards caught up with the guy, and twice they didn't. Wee Bear, which camp does your friend fall into?

I wonder is it the same guy who hides in the back seats of all taxis, or is there a club of "really small hiding men" somewhere? Whoever they are, they must have great pull in the country to ensure none of this ever hit the news or courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Katie23

I always try to walk with or be with other people I know at all times. If that is not possible, I have my keys, mace and gun with me. I will fight off an attacker with all that I have with me and with all my strength.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭wee bear

thoie if your being sarcastic its not very funny, because that really did happen to somebody i know, so your contribution is pretty unhelpful!!!
    the gaurds didnt catch up with him because she ran for her life. and as ridiculous as you might seem to think it is there are plenty of dodgy individuals out there attacking and raping women every day, so to make light of it is a bit low in my opinion, in fact i have a million stories from loads of my female friends over the years of dodgy taxi men. im presuming you are a man and maybe girls being attacked in taxis isnt as scary for you, but it sure is for a lot of us, so maybe keep your sarcasim to yourself!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

thoie if your being sarcastic its not very funny, because that really did happen to somebody i know, so your contribution is pretty unhelpful!!!
    the gaurds didnt catch up with him because she ran for her life. and as ridiculous as you might seem to think it is there are plenty of dodgy individuals out there attacking and raping women every day, so to make light of it is a bit low in my opinion, in fact i have a million stories from loads of my female friends over the years of dodgy taxi men. im presuming you are a man and maybe girls being attacked in taxis isnt as scary for you, but it sure is for a lot of us, so maybe keep your sarcasim to yourself!!:)

It should be noted the above has also become a fun story to throw around, as evidenced by a female Gardai who told the same story and was later found out to be lying, simply because herself and the driver had a dissagreement.

Nice of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

In that case I apologise. Everyone else I heard it from that day didn't know the person, but had heard that it had happened to their hairdresser's niece's granny's chiropodist. I hope your friend is feeling better.
    im presuming you are a man

Wrong
    and maybe girls being attacked in taxis isnt as scary for you, but it sure is for a lot of us, so maybe keep your sarcasim to yourself!!

I think if you look back further in the thread you will see that I am trying to contribute usefully to this discussion. I still maintain that throwing around scare stories do not help us to get home safely, but give everyone an impression that it's not safe to go out at night. The fact remains that if you're out and about alone at night, you need to be vigilant. Stories like yours can be useful in reminding us to double check that the taxi is empty before entering, but that being said, taxis are generally a pretty safe way to get home - there are many respectable drivers out there who take pains to ensure that you get home safely and quickly. I think it's also important that friends watch out for each other. In my group of friends if we're getting separate taxis, the couples usually go last to ensure that the singles get safely into a taxi, and not get standed on the side of the street alone. We take note of how the others are getting home (cab numbers etc if appropriate), and generally text someone to say we're home safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I use one specific taxi company back home and I know most of the drivers at this stage so that's ok. I don't walk alone anymore. I used to which was stupid thinking back on it now really but my OH never lets me walk alone anywhere...he always meets me.

Otherwise I make sure I'm with someone and carry my keys in my hand. I know some martial arts so hopefully that'll work too if ever anything happens. God forbid like!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I kicked my sister in the gee when we were kids. She went down. I don't believe it was as painful as when she kicked me in the nuts though. My sainted mother used to carry a pepper shaker with the lid loosely screwed on it her handbag, and reckoned that a faceful of that (take the lid off first) would do the trick.

As an alternative to the kick or knee in the nuts, consider this method: if up close and face to face, with your arm by your side, make a fist and swing it (thumb/finger area in front) into the nuts - as hard as you can. Works a treat. Believe it - there is nothing like a good impact to the nads to put a guy out of action.

There's an old schoolboy chant that goes:

Rah rah ree
    Kick him in the gee
    Rah rah rollox
    Kick him in the other knee

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Actually one of the funniest things I saw before in training was when we were being shown some awkward situations and how to get out of them.

All I remember was his advocating biting, jabbing in the eye and punching the throat. He assured it's enough to knock someone off their guard long enough for you to either run or do some serious damage...and then run. It's amazing how I wouldn't have even thought about that in the first place. Oh and kicking in the nuts is a goodun too! If you can get to them ¬.¬

Advertisement