Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert results

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

No, that's not how it works. I make myself available every year if a student has requested it and will continue to do so. I know other teachers in my school choose not to do so and students are aware of it and accept it. There were at least 10 teachers from my school in last year without any gripe to help students.

Case in point, the student who got the highest points in my school yesterday got 6As and 1 C. Excellent results. Except the C was in my subject and I was shocked when i saw it because he has never got below an A ever, in any subject, let alone mine. I had met him after the exam in June and knew it was no major problem to him. I was expecting an A from him. I knew something was wrong.

I discovered yesterday evening that you can contact the SEC and ask them to check for a clerical error with a grade where you think there is a massive discrepancy and they will check if it was input into the system incorrectly, so I contacted this student last night and gave him the details of who to email and what to write in the email. He got back to me first thing this morning to say they were dealing with his query. I had a phone call an hour later from the SEC telling me that I was right, and his C1 should have been an A1. We got a fax at school today within the hour and he will have a new cert in the next few days. The CAO will also be notified, hopefully in time for first round offers.

I was delighted for him. He rang straight away to thank me for my help, and his mother contacted me in the afternoon. He is going for medicine so this change could make the difference on whether or not he gets it or not or which college he gets.

Should I have said fcuk it yesterday when I knew there was something wrong and I knew there was something I could do to fix it? Said, let him worry about it, I'm on my holidays? What would you have done acquion? Said tough luck, I don't help out unless its counted as Croke Park hours??

I hugely resent what I have emboldened above rainbowtrout and resent your attitude!! How dare you imply that because I care deeply about my profession and very much resent the way that teachers as a group have been treated,that that somehow means that I don't care about my students!! And how dare you suggest that I'd just say "fcuk it" in the situation you've described above!! Like other posters you only see what you want to see in a post, and now assume that a good militant against Government injustice as an employer = a bad,uncaring teacher!!

For your information,I have consistently been considered one of the best teachers in my school and with good reason as I consistently get excellent results and care deeply about my students and yes,would have done exactly as you did yesterday regarding that student. I,too,receive lots of cards and messages from grateful students and their parents who hold me in high esteem.So,you are not the only one devoted to your students!

However,if you had bothered to read the earlier posts on this thread, you would have seen where a poster pointed out,quite truthfully in my opinion,that many students neither want nor need their teachers on results day. It is a hard fact of life that regardless of how bonded we become to our students,we are inevitably a means to an end and sadly,many forget us as soon as they leave the building.Anyone who would claim otherwise is deluded and would want to wise up to the realities of modern life.

You're also totally deluded if you think that in a profession where 30% are casualised, many vulnerable teachers don't feel obligated to do as much as others.Maybe they don't in your school,but I assure you they do in mine and in many that I know of. Therefore this expectation on teachers to view scripts is indeed something that needs to be addressed by the union,but I don't hold my breath.

I am really very disillusioned by the attitude of some posters,including you,rainbowtrout. In your individualistic and perhaps excessive devotion to the cause of your students,you risk letting down the cause of your collegues and that saddens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

acequion wrote: »
    Are you really so obtuse that you cannot see that what I'm talking about is solidarity with fellow workers and collectively fighting against the constant impositions on a teacher's free time.And that entails teachers as a group sticking together and making a collective decision for the good of the profession. In fact, that is usually what an effective trade union guides on,but our trade union is as obtuse and compliant as some of the posters on this forum.

Your contention that everyone do as they like smacks of individualism.Fine in an ideal world.But if you seriously think that conditions within teaching have been any way fair or remotely ideal for the past five years,then you've had your head in the sand.

I resent your misinterpretation of my views and find your constant harping against people with strong or indeed imposing views, tiresome. We had a minister who imposed his views on us and drove a horse and carriage through our conditions.The only way to fight back [and I certainly won't apologise to you or to anybody for fighting back] is to have equally strong and imposing views.

I am certainly not someone who buries their head in the sand. I was in fact one of the few in my school that did the lunch time protest on the new JC.

I also didn't misrepresent you at all. I didn't even refer to you. I said certain people and as I explained in an earlier post about an interaction in school on Wednesday.

I think the way you are speaking to me almost explains my point. By suggesting that on this issue people be allowed to make up their own mind you have referred to me as obtuse, accused me of individualism and expressed my opinions as tiresome. I think this almost proves my point I am not allowed to have a different opinion to you.

You said we need people of imposing views As I said I have no personal problem with anyone's viewpoint everyone is entitled to theirs once they respect everyone else's as well without name calling or accusing people if something.

Either way I'm out of this discussion. I have given my view and been attacked for it. It still won't change my view on it so I'm done. You are entitled to your opinion allow others have theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Armelodie wrote: »
    Standing for minutes silence for famine because of ministers whim.

Not sure how I missed this happening.

EDIT: just looked it up, was out examining that week.

Not sure why you'd have a problem with a minute's silence for the famine. People do a minutes silence for plenty of other things. We were give a day off school in September 2001 because of 9/11.

A minute for the people of our own country is hardly too much to ask.

Armelodie wrote: »
    look folks , it depends on the school you work in.

The key word being 'precedent'.

We've had the threads of..

Extra classes.
    Notes on moodle for extra curric. students at matches.
    Extra curric. at lunch time.
    Volunteering for duties that should be posts of responsibility.
    Standing for minutes silence for famine because of ministers whim.
    Correcting/Setting exams for students who are away on 'family holidays' during term.
    etc...

It depends on the school, in my school everyone is wary of precedent, as if a critical mass of teachers does something voluntarily then it DOES create an expectation on behalf of the Parents/Students , but the management don't pressure either which is good.

I can easily see that in some posters schools that there are quite a lot of hungry young teachers who dont really care about solidarity and do everything extra they can to ensure some security of tenure...not so easy though if you are a junior teacher with a family, expected to give up your home time. Its obvious that in these schools the management either let em at it or actively demand it.

In other posters schools however there doesn't seem to be the same desperation so solidarity doesn't even enter into the equation. You are an individual entity and no one cares what you do with your own class/time...no precedent will occur.

Thus I think the debate is mainly getting muddled around solidarity/precedent within a school and solidarity/precedent right across all the profession...

The worse thing about it is that things are being 'portrayed' as being on the up so public sector are seen to be back on the pigs back. So unfortunately we won't get ANY work to rule directive from a union in the next few years.

Maybe the best place to bring the issue up is next staff meeting (presumably if you are permanent and not in fear of being let go!).

Just a bit of perspective, some schools are backstabbing hell and others are no-compunction heaven.

A perfectly reasonable post,Armelodie. And you are perfectly right about the "hungry young teachers" and no one is criticising them for being like that. They are like that because they need a job in an impossible jobs market. But they need to be reminded that job conditions are vitally important and that's where worker solidarity comes into it.

[/B]

I hugely resent what I have emboldened above rainbowtrout and resent your attitude!! How dare you imply that because I care deeply about my profession and very much resent the way that teachers as a group have been treated,that that somehow means that I don't care about my students!! And how dare you suggest that I'd just say "fcuk it" in the situation you've described above!! Like other posters you only see what you want to see in a post, and now assume that a good militant against Government injustice as an employer = a bad,uncaring teacher!!

For your information,I have consistently been considered one of the best teachers in my school and with good reason as I consistently get excellent results and care deeply about my students and yes,would have done exactly as you did yesterday regarding that student. I,too,receive lots of cards and messages from grateful students and their parents who hold me in high esteem.So,you are not the only one devoted to your students!

However,if you had bothered to read the earlier posts on this thread, you would have seen where a poster pointed out,quite truthfully in my opinion,that many students neither want nor need their teachers on results day. It is a hard fact of life that regardless of how bonded we become to our students,we are inevitably a means to an end and sadly,many forget us as soon as they leave the building.Anyone who would claim otherwise is deluded and would want to wise up to the realities of modern life.

You're also totally deluded if you think that in a profession where 30% are casualised, many vulnerable teachers don't feel obligated to do as much as others.Maybe they don't in your school,but I assure you they do in mine and in many that I know of. Therefore this expectation on teachers to view scripts is indeed something that needs to be addressed by the union,but I don't hold my breath.

I am really very disillusioned by the attitude of some posters,including you,rainbowtrout. In your individualistic and perhaps excessive devotion to the cause of your students,you risk letting down the cause of your collegues and that saddens me.

Resent away. Maybe you should read my post again while you're at it. I said should I have not bothered? I asked you what you would do.

You said in one post that we shouldn't be rushing in to view scripts, yet you're now saying that you would have done the same in my position. So you're no different from me. So which is it to be?

I also didn't disagree with you that some students don't want their teachers on results day. I went in after they had all gone home. You also seem to think that bonds only work in one direction. Teachers do form a bond with their students. Some of those students also form bonds with their teachers. We regularly have past pupils back to visit us, and not just because they are looking for work experience. Some of them just come in for a chat.

If there is an expectation on you to view scripts, then you should bring it up at a staff meeting. I think most students in my experience are perfectly reasonable if you tell them that you can't make it. Therefore the expectation must be coming from your school. There is no expectation in mine. There is a change to CP hours for this year that you can use 5 ( I think it's 5) for individual hours spent doing school related business: inservices, etc. I am sure you could consider viewing scripts as a valid way of using up your individual hours.

And my devotion is not excessive. If you think it is, so be it. I taught my Leaving Certs for two years, I've seen students work from day 1, I've had rows with students over their lack of work. I've tried to reason with students who won't take ordinary level when they clearly are not able for higher level. I've been delighted to see them succeed in the main at the end of two years. So if they think there is a problem with their paper and they deserve more, and if that grade could be the difference in them going to college or not, I don't have a problem giving my professional opinion on it. Who better to give it than a teacher of the subject?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Not sure how I missed this happening.

EDIT: just looked it up, was out examining that week.

Not sure why you'd have a problem with a minute's silence for the famine. People do a minutes silence for plenty of other things. We were give a day off school in September 2001 because of 9/11.

A minute for the people of our own country is hardly too much to ask.

Oh please don't get me started on Jimmy Deenahan again... my views on ministers personal dictats for the sake of media exposure are on that thread..

ill reply later to the rest of your points...I was talking in general about the sentiment expressed based on What I think different schools react to (i think the assisting with exam scripts is a very very very small part of it). The substantive point is that experiences of precedent/solidarity are not stratified across schools. They are relative terms, I would feel that the opposing points on here are talking in absolute terms.

A perfectly reasonable post,Armelodie. And you are perfectly right about the "hungry young teachers" and no one is criticising them for being like that. They are like that because they need a job in an impossible jobs market. But they need to be reminded that job conditions are vitally important and that's where worker solidarity comes into it.

Yes in fairness to rainbowtrout though me saying that they 'don't care about solidarity' was the wrong choice of words ... they can't afford to consider solidarity or maybe they just aren't aware of the need for solidarity or the dangers of precedent setting.

Some schools it doesn't impinge on staff ..some schools it does.

My own view is that I would check exam scripts without a seconds thought ... but in saying that, I see where acquion or 2011 are coming from within the totality of things which they are expected to do as teachers. Who would blame them for wanting to call a halt to it because of how underappreciate, underpaid and overused they feel within their work environment.

Perhaps others find these reactions extreme and silly for such a little thing (and as I stated I would see it as a little thing 'for me' to do a recheck or be there on results day), but for some all of these little things are the straw that breaks the camel's back in their schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hearing about the cheeky young teachers not caring about solidarity and the lazy old teachers too busy to check scripts because of part time jobs I have to say the media and government have done a brilliant job in splitting the profession.

Young teachers not caring about solidarity also care about keeping a roof over their head.
    Older teachers have witnessed the cutbacks and are enraged by this and in an effort to make the profession more appealing are trying to fight against these cuts in whatever way possible and extra voluntary duties are probably the only viable manner.

The government has split teaching into a two tier profession and until this ends I don't think these generalities mentioned in the first sentence will either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Hearing about the cheeky young teachers not caring about solidarity and the lazy old teachers too busy to check scripts because of part time jobs I have to say the media and government have done a brilliant job in splitting the profession.

Young teachers not caring about solidarity also care about keeping a roof over their head.
    Older teachers have witnessed the cutbacks and are enraged by this and in an effort to make the profession more appealing are trying to fight against these cuts in whatever way possible and extra voluntary duties are probably the only viable manner.

The government has split teaching into a two tier profession and until this ends I don't think these generalities mentioned in the first sentence will either.

In fairness armelodie has just clarified what they meant about not caring about solidarity.

This debate doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

The reality is that in some schools the expectations on all teachers is lower. There is very little extra curricular except maybe some sport. There are also schools where extra curricular has become nearly a rat race with everyone being expected to give up their own time. The only difference being that some teachers may have tenure so can afford to take a break and not get let to for it. In many ways you could argue that these teachers are doing the non-tenured ones a favour by highlighting the farce that it is.

I am a part time teacher. I don't have tenure (maybe soon!). I'm well aware that I break myself to offer students options and to 'make myself look good to management'. Is that a bad thing for the profession as a whole? Probably. Is it going to stop me or any of the other teachers in our school without tenure scrabbling for recognition, stop doing it? Hell no. Let's be honest, it's every man for himself when it comes to getting hours and if I can do something that will make me look good in managements eyes then I'm going to do it.

Also I'm tired of the 'young' versus 'old' terminology. It's agist and inaccurate. There are plenty of late entrants to teaching around without tenure and this whole arguement in my opinion is an arguement about tenure.

With tenure teachers can 'afford' to stand their ground. Without tenure they usually can't or at least won't for fear of losing their hours

Resent away. Maybe you should read my post again while you're at it. I said should I have not bothered? I asked you what you would do.

You said in one post that we shouldn't be rushing in to view scripts, yet you're now saying that you would have done the same in my position. So you're no different from me. So which is it to be?

I also didn't disagree with you that some students don't want their teachers on results day. I went in after they had all gone home. You also seem to think that bonds only work in one direction. Teachers do form a bond with their students. Some of those students also form bonds with their teachers. We regularly have past pupils back to visit us, and not just because they are looking for work experience. Some of them just come in for a chat.

If there is an expectation on you to view scripts, then you should bring it up at a staff meeting. I think most students in my experience are perfectly reasonable if you tell them that you can't make it. Therefore the expectation must be coming from your school. There is no expectation in mine. There is a change to CP hours for this year that you can use 5 ( I think it's 5) for individual hours spent doing school related business: inservices, etc. I am sure you could consider viewing scripts as a valid way of using up your individual hours.

And my devotion is not excessive. If you think it is, so be it. I taught my Leaving Certs for two years, I've seen students work from day 1, I've had rows with students over their lack of work. I've tried to reason with students who won't take ordinary level when they clearly are not able for higher level. I've been delighted to see them succeed in the main at the end of two years. So if they think there is a problem with their paper and they deserve more, and if that grade could be the difference in them going to college or not, I don't have a problem giving my professional opinion on it. Who better to give it than a teacher of the subject?

Yes,rainbowtrout,unfortunately I will resent away. My problem is not my school or the expectations of my students or what we might or might not bring up at staff meetings.My problem is actually teachers like you,hell bent on telling everyone on the forum how wonderful you are and how much you do for your students and pontificate about who better to do it etc etc,all the while deliberately misinterpreting my very valid point that an over willingness to view scripts and be around on results day if needed,creates even more expectations of teachers and their time.. And I'm sorry but I completely dismiss your point that the expectation that teachers be available to view scripts is not coming from students and their parents,because it is patently obvious that it is. They are the ones who need this service, not the school, and like any service,why should there be an expectation that it be provided for free? Yet there is! I don't think that's ok.

As I said earlier,teachers like you sadden me because you appear completely dismissive of the angers and fears of those of us outraged by the erosion of our working conditions. So,I don't want to continue arguing with you and I don't want to derail the thread.

However,may I ask if you were posting during the first days of compulsory S&S, about how much you resented it? I may be totally mistaken but your username rings a bell from that time. If you are the same poster,you seemed to have quite a different attitude then.But I might be completely mistaken and you may not be the poster I'm thinking of.

• Advertisement

However,may I ask if you were posting during the first days of compulsory S&S, about how much you resented it? I may be totally mistaken but your username rings a bell from that time. If you are the same poster,you seemed to have quite a different attitude then.But I might be completely mistaken and you may not be the poster I'm thinking of.

For the record, I am mistaken. It wasn't rainbowtrout. It was a poster with a similar user name.

Yes,rainbowtrout,unfortunately I will resent away. My problem is not my school or the expectations of my students or what we might or might not bring up at staff meetings.My problem is actually teachers like you,hell bent on telling everyone on the forum how wonderful you are and how much you do for your students and pontificate about who better to do it etc etc,all the while deliberately misinterpreting my very valid point that an over willingness to view scripts and be around on results day if needed,creates even more expectations of teachers and their time.. And I'm sorry but I completely dismiss your point that the expectation that teachers be available to view scripts is not coming from students and their parents,because it is patently obvious that it is. They are the ones who need this service, not the school, and like any service,why should there be an expectation that it be provided for free? Yet there is! I don't think that's ok.

As I said earlier,teachers like you sadden me because you appear completely dismissive of the angers and fears of those of us outraged by the erosion of our working conditions. So,I don't want to continue arguing with you and I don't want to derail the thread.

No you've got that entirely wrong; you went in to view results yesterday, I went in to view results on Wednesday, but somehow it's a problem that I went in on results day despite the fact that I met no students. If you would like a summary of my day: I live a mile from the school I work in, I pass it every day, it's not out of my way to call in. A number of my colleagues that are friends of mine also were dropping in to view results. We decided to meet for lunch, so we met at the school to view the results and then went for lunch. I posted this a few days ago. It's post #40 on this very thread.

You made the point that students often don't want to see teachers on the day. I didn't disagree, but did point out that students had contacted me to tell me their results. That wasn't to tell anyone how brilliant I am, it was to make the point that some students are happy to communicate with their teachers on results day. Nothing else.

Actually if you go over to the LC forum, a couple of students posted on there that they were disappointed that they didn't get to meet their teachers, so clearly some do like teachers being around. Anyway.

On the viewing scripts point. I correct scripts, have done for years. I know what can and does go wrong, as anyone here on the forum that corrects is also aware of, and if you correct yourself you see the common pitfalls over and over again in a paper from year to year. Seeing it from that side, I think it's important to view scripts and because I correct I know I can assess a paper accurately whether an appeal is likely to be successful or not. I'm not just interpreting the marking scheme from my point of view. I'm interpreting it from the SEC point of view as laid down at the marking conference. I can tell a student if an answer is too waffley and won't be accepted, or why it won't be accepted. Again, if I wasn't around for a weekend, I would tell a student that I was unavailable, and they would have to make do by themselves.

As for the expectation that it's done for free. Well you mentioned in an earlier post that you did extra curricular, I don't think you clarified if you are still doing extra curricular, I got the impression from your post that you don't. I don't do extra curricular, not in the traditional sense. I don't do sport or drama, or singing etc. I'm crap at all of them. Plenty of teachers provide those extras in their free time outside school hours with no pay. I'm not sure why I'm being criticised for doing something for 3 hours per year, which I'll only being doing if I get a request and I'm available.

Would you suggest that every teacher in the country give up all their extra curricular activities in solidarity with the cause, because providing that service for free creates a sense of expectation and entitlement in the students and parents?

I'm not dismissive of people's angers and fears. I've been posting on this forum for 7 years. I've probably posted on most topics on this forum, so while I can't say for sure if I've posted on S&S, I would say it's almost a certainty that I have.

There was lengthy discussion on this forum about a year ago about HRA. I voted No at the time, and if you want to go back and search for my posts you can check that. Nevertheless HRA was voted in by teachers. I have been union rep in my school. You can search for posts on that too. I have had rows with my principal where I did not come out the good end of it, because I was standing up for myself with regard to S&S. We had no union rep the start of last year, so I gave a run down to my union members of what the Yes/No vote entailed - because no one else had bothered to read the paperwork. We are a dual union school, which brings more complications with votes. On the closing day of the vote there were still voting papers lying around the staffroom where people didn't vote, and I did come across the 'I'm so ditzy, I going to pretend I don't understand this union and pay and conditions stuff, and I'm just going to ignore it' in a couple of members of staff who were only too delighted to play that role. There are posts on this forum, only in the last couple of weeks, with teachers going 'wtf, we don't get holiday time on maternity leave anymore/ we have to do 10 sessions of S&S per week/ we don't get paid for S&S/ we're not getting our increment in September'. Delete as appropriate.

People didn't read the mandate and didn't vote or voted yes and didn't even know what they were voting for. I will never understand people who aren't arsed about finding out what the vote is about when it affects their working conditions from Mon-Fri for potentially the next 40 years, yet plenty of them exist.

So my views on S&S: I bailed out of paid S&S a couple of years ago because I was sick of it, and could live without the money which was taxed to the hilt anyway. I voted No for HRA, but the No side lost, so I'm now forced back into S&S. Now, I could have bailed out again and taken the pay cut but I decided not to, along with the majority of teachers it seems. I don't agree with doing S&S for free, but I'm making the best of a bad lot. As everyone in my school has opted in we don't get caught for as much supervision as when the majority did not do paid S&S. I'm not trying to dress up S&S and saying 'sure isn't it grand, we'll have to do hardly any if everyone does it', I'm saying this is me making the best of a bad situation. I don't want to do it, but I am bound by the terms of a democratic vote.

I don't think the two S&S situations are comparable. I always had an out in S&S Version 1, and was remunerated for my work. I don't get paid for this type and I'm bound by HRA.

Further to your point on my opinion on S&S, I'm not sure why you're asking, because it hadn't come up on this thread at all, in any post. If you check out the timetable thread on here, you will see that I posted earlier on this week that I got my timetable and due to being timetabled for a half day to attend college this year, so the half day is not free time, I will have only 4 free periods for most of the year. There will be one or two weeks that I don't have to attend college. Obviously all of the four periods are nominated for S&S.

I got into this job because I wanted to teach. I've been teaching for 13 years. Even in that time there has been a lot of changes. I've been active as union rep in my school, which had negative effects for me. While we rotate rep now, I still get staff asking me union related queries. In case you think that's me saying how brilliant I am again, it's not. It's because they know I read the circulars and have a general idea of what is going on, same as the people on this forum who are informed, the fact that they are posting about education issues in their spare time indicates that.

However, I don't see how me going in for one weekend of the year to help a few of my students should create such outrage, when there is so much other voluntary work done that doesn't get scrutinised under the microscope

Not just extra curricular; teachers doing mock orals after school, music teacher practicing parts after school for the practicals, woodwork and engineering teachers staying behind in their workshops to allow students some extra time on their projects, art teachers staying behind to work on portfolios with students. I could probably name nearly every subject area where extra work goes on.

If my contribution once a year is to be singled out as putting pressure on other teachers to provide this extra service, I can equally say that all of the things I listed above could put pressure on me to provide extras to students because other teachers do. It's no different.

Can you tell me with all honesty that no member of your staff does any of the above? If they do, they are also creating a precedent, and if you want solidarity then teachers should cut every scrap of extra curricular across the country and every extra bit of time spent on practicals/orals etc outside class time.

My subjects generally don't lend themselves to this type of extra work, and if I was to do stuff out of class time, it would consist of revision classes. Ultimately we are teaching our students so they can get an education and some qualifications in form of the Leaving Cert. So while I'm not providing extra time in a workshop/orals etc I give 3 hours once a year if requested to view the papers and see if they deserve anything more. Also this work goes largely unseen given that it takes place at the weekend when the school is empty and is requested by students that are leaving the school and are not coming back (except for the odd repeat), so it's not like it's something that is in the faces of staff and students. Leaving Certs who are going to the viewings might call in and look for me or another teacher and ask if we are available. This is a lot more low key than, say, the teacher who tells their class that they will be doing practice runs for the French oral on Tuesday after school, and then the other LC French class are up in arms because they are not getting the same from their teacher. And the Irish, Spanish and German students are asking their teachers if the are doing the same. I honestly think I'm not raising half as many expectations in attending a script viewing in a largely empty school as extra tuition raises.

Our conditions have been eroded immensely in terms of poorer contracts for newer teachers to the profession, poorer pension terms for said teachers, whole rainforests of pointless paperwork, S&S for free. Teaching was once considered to be a vocation, that notion has also largely been eroded. However most teachers still provide something extra to students year after year at their own cost, whether that be financial or of their time.

Even on a small scale, we all know teachers who have bought an extra set of exam papers for Johnny who has none, teachers who have given out countless copies and pens to students who never have them, who have gone and bought and made their posters for their classrooms all at their own cost, given up holiday time to go on school tour,given a bit of extra tuition to the student that needs it. I could go on and on.

I don't think it's very fair to criticise me for giving up 3 hours of my time without expecting to get paid for it, when practically ever other teacher in the country is doing something for free which goes unchallenged and unmentioned in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

That has to be the longest post ever on boards

seavill wrote: »
    That has to be the longest post ever on boards

This ain't no god damn After Hours thread

I didn't even bother to provide
    tl;dr:pac:

. and on that note..

I'll give a tl;dr to this thread...

Answer is No OP if you are still with us...

but you probably got that from post#2 already didn't you?

Gnite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement