Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Rosita

seavill wrote: »

Anyway, I go in any year I'm around, my presence makes no differnce to the students overall.

That was the essential point being made earlier wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

No idea I only glanced at the last number of posts

I was simply offering my experience of the results which is what this thread was supposed to be about. I didn't comment one way or the other on the disagreement as I have no interest in getting involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I think the word 'curiosity' is possibly the wrong word or comes across the wrong way. I go in every year I can because I see the results as my results also. I am interested to see how my class got on. It's not some form of idle curiosity which I think possibly is how the word got taken, if not intended that way.
    I believe that I have worked hard fro these results as the kids have so I have an interest in finding out.

In a nutshell, what I was trying to say myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Well Rosita, I tried to take on board the points you made and, perhaps more importantly, to make amends for offence caused in the throws of a discussion. It's a pity you feel I need a further dressing down from the teacher's desk whilst I had attempted to react to your contribution as a mature adult capable of revisiting my actions. More fool me it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

OK OK we'll leave the off topic crossfire for another day. I'm still on holidays but had to duck a few times with the chairs flying across the room here.
    Consider the matter closed Rosita/Powerhouse/Linguist:)

sooo..
    Anyone else going in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Aaaaaanyway, back to the OP- no, totally up to the teachers themselves if they want to go in, and people don't really care either way whether you go in or not.

Sometimes I just ring the school and find out how did they get on and then call in the following week to see a full breakdown of the results. I actually don't like being around the students when they're getting their results, I feel like I'm adding to their nerves. But I can completely understand why other teachers want to be there for support and/or to see the results (we've worked for the results too of course!) so whatever each individual teacher decides is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Naoko

I've been asked in all my interviews this year about how my past Leaving Certificate classes got on. I didn't look for the information before for various reasons (only had the classes on one day a week / they were fifth years when I had them rather than sixth years / only taught the class for a few weeks at the beginning or end of term / moved school or location long before they did their exams). This year I had a long stint (maternity leave) with a great bunch of sixth years and I'd really like to see their results. Since principals keep asking me about previous classes, I take it it wouldn't be unusual to find out. Do most ex-subs call to the school after results day? Is it considered okay to do that or would I be better off contacting their main teacher for the results?

Naoko wrote: »
    Since principals keep asking me about previous classes, I take it it wouldn't be unusual to find out. Do most ex-subs call to the school after results day? Is it considered okay to do that or would I be better off contacting their main teacher for the results?

It depends on the teacher you were covering for, I know I wouldn't have minded, but some teachers might be a bit territorial about their students. You could contact the main teacher to see if it's ok/get results or turn up later in the afternoon when there'd be no students about. It'd look good that you cared enough to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've been asked in all my interviews this year about how my past Leaving Certificate classes got on. I didn't look for the information before for various reasons (only had the classes on one day a week / they were fifth years when I had them rather than sixth years / only taught the class for a few weeks at the beginning or end of term / moved school or location long before they did their exams). This year I had a long stint (maternity leave) with a great bunch of sixth years and I'd really like to see their results. Since principals keep asking me about previous classes, I take it it wouldn't be unusual to find out. Do most ex-subs call to the school after results day? Is it considered okay to do that or would I be better off contacting their main teacher for the results?

Well I'm going in tomorrow and a good few teachers in my school normally come in. We had two subs covering for most of the year (right up to the exams) for LC this year and they are coming over tomorrow to see the results and then we're going for lunch and a catch up.

In my school a copy of the results are left in our staffroom so we can have a look at the them and avoid the students and any potential awkwardness, especially if they are not happy with the outcome. The secretary usually puts them in on eportal as well so we can have a look at them from home if we want.

I wouldn't see why there would be a problem in you looking at the results. You brought them to the exam, why shouldn't you be able to find out how they got on?

It depends on the teacher you were covering for, I know I wouldn't have minded, but some teachers might be a bit territorial about their students. You could contact the main teacher to see if it's ok/get results or turn up later in the afternoon when there'd be no students about. It'd look good that you cared enough to check.

Why would the teacher have a say? It's the sub that had them in the run up to the exam, surely they should be able to see how the class got on without needing permission??

• Advertisement

Why would the teacher have a say? It's the sub that had them in the run up to the exam, surely they should be able to see how the class got on without needing permission??

Well, the teacher wouldn't have a say, but it could look like good manners to tell/ask her, especially when the poster mentioned contacting her. I just know teachers in my place who that would go down well with, but you're right, the sub doesn't need permission, and should head on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Naoko

Their main teacher had them in April and May so I had 'given them back' to her before the exam, if that makes a difference. :)

Their main teacher had them in April and May so I had 'given them back' to her before the exam, if that makes a difference. :)

Not really, I'd assume you had them for at least 6 months if it was maternity leave, go on in and have a look.

Well, the teacher wouldn't have a say, but it could look like good manners to tell/ask her, especially when the poster mentioned contacting her. I just know teachers in my place who that would go down well with, but you're right, the sub doesn't need permission, and should head on in.

The mind boggles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have to agree implausible I would be more inclined to ask the the teacher rather than go in. Some teachers are very territorial!!! Now in fairness not in my school but some of the stories I hear from my friends are just mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Well results day is here. Hope all went well for the teachers who went in and that management, year heads and guidance are dealing with smiles rather than tears. Had decided not to go in this year. Was going to go in tomorrow but I've gotten a better offer and am heading away for a week.Can I ring the school today or will they be too busy dealing with the students? Do the people who don't go in generally wait until back to school time? I am curious but also not CID and don't want to look like I don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I went in about eleven, thus avoiding the scrum. A few students were still around but they had little interest in talking to me (which was fine by me). Everyone seemed happy enough and there were no surprises in the results (or at least, nothing that surprised me).

Millem wrote: »
    I have to agree implausible I would be more inclined to ask the the teacher rather than go in. Some teachers are very territorial!!! Now in fairness not in my school but some of the stories I hear from my friends are just mad!

Defo agree, have you not heard about the battle that ensued after Grendel touched a teacher's Man. United cup in Beowulf... epic.

All jokes aside best of luck to all the teachers today. Its the one day of the year they might get some kind of a positive mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I never go in...I always go in the day they do the exam however, as they want to talk to you then. I feel once you step foot inside the gate that the holidays are over so I wait until the last possible minute. I genuinely care about how my students get on but my curiosity an wait for another week or so....I find that you generally can predict their results anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭acequion

I only came back into the country last night and could not in any way relax today until I found out how my students had got on. So in I went,was able to get my own results very quickly and met nobody. Which was perfect, because a] we're still on holidays and b] I completely agree with the posters who say that it's a private moment for the student and the presence of teachers can actually be intrusive.

Today is not a day to vent our many reasons for resentment at the general state of our profession and is indeed a day for a teacher to privately savour the sweet taste of rewarding satisfaction. However those posters who point out that we should not be rushing in to view scripts with students when we are heading back to many unpaid and unrewarded hours are completely right. While my heart might want to comply with this last request from a student,my head tells me to be more circumspect. It's one thing to view the scripts of students we feel may have been hard done by,it's quite another when it's a student who just can't accept the grade. Anyway,viewing of scripts should be part of CP hours and if not,teachers should collectively refuse to do them.

Remember folks,at the end of the day,we are a means to an end for most of our students,despite how bonded to them we become on that journey. The fact that the teacher is neither wanted nor needed by many students on results day, should make that clear.

So,congrats to all teachers on the LC results and enjoy the last days of the hols!:)

• Advertisement

If people want to go in and view results that is their business, if they want to greet students that is also their business, if they want to go in and just check results and get out, also their own business, I have found that those who don't want to talk to people will get the results and go straight to the car and open it there away from anyone. If someone doesn't feel they should go in that is their business too.

Similarly with the viewing of scripts, if someone wants to give up their own free time to go an assist someone then again completely their own private choice and should not feel under any pressure from others that they are 'doing the wrong thing'. We are all adults and have a right to do what we want to do.
    If someone feels they do enough and shouldn't have to give up their own time to do so, has every right to reject the request and should not feel under any obligation to do anything they don't want to do.

I personally don't like adults pushing their own views onto other adults insisting that their way is the the only way and how dare you see it another way. ( this is not a go at any posters above, it is just a general rant based on numerous threads over the last while plus some interactions in school yesterday with fellow teachers) More questions about viewing scripts will most likely come up over the coming week.

Like I said, my opinion, let people do what they feel is best, you might not agree but wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed the whole time.

As for predicting the results - I could have filled in the student results sheets myself

If people want to go in and view results that is their business, if they want to greet students that is also their business, if they want to go in and just check results and get out, also their own business, I have found that those who don't want to talk to people will get the results and go straight to the car and open it there away from anyone. If someone doesn't feel they should go in that is their business too.

Similarly with the viewing of scripts, if someone wants to give up their own free time to go an assist someone then again completely their own private choice and should not feel under any pressure from others that they are 'doing the wrong thing'. We are all adults and have a right to do what we want to do.
    If someone feels they do enough and shouldn't have to give up their own time to do so, has every right to reject the request and should not feel under any obligation to do anything they don't want to do.

I personally don't like adults pushing their own views onto other adults insisting that their way is the the only way and how dare you see it another way. ( this is not a go at any posters above, it is just a general rant based on numerous threads over the last while plus some interactions in school yesterday with fellow teachers) More questions about viewing scripts will most likely come up over the coming week.

Like I said, my opinion, let people do what they feel is best, you might not agree but wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed the whole time.

As for predicting the results - I could have filled in the student results sheets myself

seavill,the "we are all adults" line has in my view,in various contexts,been trotted out to over kill, to the extent to render it meaningless.

Do you not realise how contradictory you are being??

In the good old days teaching was quite an individualistic profession where individual teachers were under no pressure to do more or to do less. When I first started out I could happily do a rake of extra curriculars and expend boundless energy in my passion for my subjects,happy in the knowledge that collegues and seniors could smile fondly at my endeavours, in no way pressurised to follow suit. Seavill,that day has GONE! Now, if one teacher from a subject makes himself/herself available to view scripts on the fri night /sat morn of viewings,the others feel obliged to follow suit,even if that means cancelling a weekend. You must realise that! And because teachers have been treated like scum on the end of the boot and the butt of all misfortunes throughout the darkest years of the recession,do you not think it time to stop doing what we like individually and start thinking of our collegues and the good of the profession collectively! ie a little solidarity with the fellow worker?

And I say you're being contradictory because our employers want less and less individual endeavour. They want sheep all doing the same thing.And to beat them we have to be prepared to turn into a pack of rams!

Look,as I said,last post, the LC results is a time of joy and celebration for teachers,and unfortunately, of disappointment too. So,I'm not looking to start a big argument with you. But you always seem to get irked by people with strong or imposing views. And while in other aspects of life,I would feel the same,when it comes to our profession and the constant downgrading of the teacher,I think we need people of imposing views.

acequion wrote: »
    I only came back into the country last night and could not in any way relax today until I found out how my students had got on. So in I went,was able to get my own results very quickly and met nobody. Which was perfect, because a] we're still on holidays and b] I completely agree with the posters who say that it's a private moment for the student and the presence of teachers can actually be intrusive.

Today is not a day to vent our many reasons for resentment at the general state of our profession and is indeed a day for a teacher to privately savour the sweet taste of rewarding satisfaction. However those posters who point out that we should not be rushing in to view scripts with students when we are heading back to many unpaid and unrewarded hours are completely right. While my heart might want to comply with this last request from a student,my head tells me to be more circumspect. It's one thing to view the scripts of students we feel may have been hard done by,it's quite another when it's a student who just can't accept the grade. Anyway,viewing of scripts should be part of CP hours and if not,teachers should collectively refuse to do them.

Remember folks,at the end of the day,we are a means to an end for most of our students,despite how bonded to them we become on that journey. The fact that the teacher is neither wanted nor needed by many students on results day, should make that clear.

So,congrats to all teachers on the LC results and enjoy the last days of the hols!:)

I went at 11 yesterday and all the students were gone. Anyone who was coming to school was well in before 10 as is the general experience in my school. If they are getting up to get results, they are going to get up early.

I find the other comment bolded a bit disingenuous. How can you possibly know if a grade will change or deserves a recheck without viewing the script, it sounds like you think some students are more deserving of your time than others. I've never refused a request to view a script and some have yielded upgrades. I've sent back papers every year for the last 7 or 8 years and some students surprised me in how well they did.

And the last point, I received messages from a number of my students yesterday telling me how they got on in my subjects and to thank me for helping them which was lovely. I already knew their grades because I had seen them before I received word from them but they didn't know that.

Now, if one teacher from a subject makes himself/herself available to view scripts on the fri night /sat morn of viewings,the others feel obliged to follow suit,even if that means cancelling a weekend. You must realise that!

No, that's not how it works. I make myself available every year if a student has requested it and will continue to do so. I know other teachers in my school choose not to do so and students are aware of it and accept it. There were at least 10 teachers from my school in last year without any gripe to help students.

Case in point, the student who got the highest points in my school yesterday got 6As and 1 C. Excellent results. Except the C was in my subject and I was shocked when i saw it because he has never got below an A ever, in any subject, let alone mine. I had met him after the exam in June and knew it was no major problem to him. I was expecting an A from him. I knew something was wrong.

I discovered yesterday evening that you can contact the SEC and ask them to check for a clerical error with a grade where you think there is a massive discrepancy and they will check if it was input into the system incorrectly, so I contacted this student last night and gave him the details of who to email and what to write in the email. He got back to me first thing this morning to say they were dealing with his query. I had a phone call an hour later from the SEC telling me that I was right, and his C1 should have been an A1. We got a fax at school today within the hour and he will have a new cert in the next few days. The CAO will also be notified, hopefully in time for first round offers.

I was delighted for him. He rang straight away to thank me for my help, and his mother contacted me in the afternoon. He is going for medicine so this change could make the difference on whether or not he gets it or not or which college he gets.

Should I have said fcuk it yesterday when I knew there was something wrong and I knew there was something I could do to fix it? Said, let him worry about it, I'm on my holidays? What would you have done acquion? Said tough luck, I don't help out unless its counted as Croke Park hours??

seavill,the "we are all adults" line has in my view,in various contexts,been trotted out to over kill, to the extent to render it meaningless.

Do you not realise how contradictory you are being??

In the good old days teaching was quite an individualistic profession where individual teachers were under no pressure to do more or to do less. When I first started out I could happily do a rake of extra curriculars and expend boundless energy in my passion for my subjects,happy in the knowledge that collegues and seniors could smile fondly at my endeavours, in no way pressurised to follow suit. Seavill,that day has GONE! Now, if one teacher from a subject makes himself/herself available to view scripts on the fri night /sat morn of viewings,the others feel obliged to follow suit,even if that means cancelling a weekend. You must realise that! And because teachers have been treated like scum on the end of the boot and the butt of all misfortunes throughout the darkest years of the recession,do you not think it time to stop doing what we like individually and start thinking of our collegues and the good of the profession collectively! ie a little solidarity with the fellow worker?

And I say you're being contradictory because our employers want less and less individual endeavour. They want sheep all doing the same thing.And to beat them we have to be prepared to turn into a pack of rams!

Look,as I said,last post, the LC results is a time of joy and celebration for teachers,and unfortunately, of disappointment too. So,I'm not looking to start a big argument with you. But you always seem to get irked by people with strong or imposing views. And while in other aspects of life,I would feel the same,when it comes to our profession and the constant downgrading of the teacher,I think we need people of imposing views.

I am not irked by a strong attitude at all. I am irked by people who think that their way is the only way to think any anyone who dares disagree should be shot.
    As it happens I don't agree with your stance in any way. As I said you are entitled to do whatever you want. As am I.
    Usually I would always go in if requested however in the past I have refused as I manage kids sports teams on Saturday morning and couldn't let them down at short notice. I didn't cancel anything to accommodate.
    To me anyone that goes in because others do is weak. Have your own morals and opinions and stick to them. You can't be fired for not going in.

As for we are all adults I don't agree at all with you. I used it because certain people seem to forget that we are all entitled to an opinion even if it differs. People who are the ones that shout loudest have no respect for others and their view point. Personally I couldn't give a toss what anyone else does or says. Them days of me following the gang, against my own viewpoint, are gone since I turned about 13 I'd say.

Respect is a great thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

No, that's not how it works.

That IS how it works in our school and many others . Case in point NQTs engaged in a rat race to be seen to be sitting working in staffroom at 8am or before Ive been told by my principal to my face that it's not unreasonable to be working till 11pm .(While an established 'expert' scoffed at working after 6pm saying "That's family time !" .Acequoins post sums it all up perfectly ie the mess we're in , the mindset that has us where we are with the result that teachers are now poor ( it really is a grim eye opener to compare the lifestyles of those on staff especially in 20s who live solely on teachers earnings and those who have 'married money' etc and forced to work at an unsustainable rate while sick leave is halved and pension contribution more than doubled .
    It's amusing the way there are posters with the clear cut roles of 'class swots' and 'troublemakers' on this forum .But anyone who claimed to have the scantest regard for our ( now alas so-called) 'profession' would rage against the injustices we have been subjected to .

2011abc wrote: »
    That IS how it works in our school and many others .

It's very simple, if a student asks you to go to view the scripts, you tell them you are unavailable for the weekend. End of story. Don't go, and then bitch about it when you have a choice.

That IS how it works in our school and many others . Case in point NQTs engaged in a rat race to be seen to be sitting working in staffroom at 8am or before Ive been told by my principal to my face that it's not unreasonable to be working till 11pm .(While an established 'expert' scoffed at working after 6pm saying "That's family time !"

You'd never get someone in my school before 8, the place isn't open until about five past. There are no staff in the building until at least 8:30. Sometimes I go in early, cos I know I'll get a clear run at the photocopier if I have classes all day.

Have you considered that people aren't always there to be seen but are there cos they get more work done when the staffroom is quiet?

It's amusing the way there are posters with the clear cut roles of 'class swots' and 'troublemakers' on this forum .But anyone who claimed to have the scantest regard for our ( now alas so-called) 'profession' would rage against the injustices we have been subjected to .

I'm amazed that a person who considers themselves a professional teacher would resort to calling other teachers names because they don't agree with their point. Those names are the taunts of 14 year old bullies.

I am not irked by a strong attitude at all. I am irked by people who think that their way is the only way to think any anyone who dares disagree should be shot.
    As it happens I don't agree with your stance in any way. As I said you are entitled to do whatever you want. As am I.
    Usually I would always go in if requested however in the past I have refused as I manage kids sports teams on Saturday morning and couldn't let them down at short notice. I didn't cancel anything to accommodate.
    To me anyone that goes in because others do is weak. Have your own morals and opinions and stick to them. You can't be fired for not going in.

As for we are all adults I don't agree at all with you. I used it because certain people seem to forget that we are all entitled to an opinion even if it differs. People who are the ones that shout loudest have no respect for others and their view point. Personally I couldn't give a toss what anyone else does or says. Them days of me following the gang, against my own viewpoint, are gone since I turned about 13 I'd say.

Respect is a great thing

Are you really so obtuse that you cannot see that what I'm talking about is solidarity with fellow workers and collectively fighting against the constant impositions on a teacher's free time.And that entails teachers as a group sticking together and making a collective decision for the good of the profession. In fact, that is usually what an effective trade union guides on,but our trade union is as obtuse and compliant as some of the posters on this forum.

Your contention that everyone do as they like smacks of individualism.Fine in an ideal world.But if you seriously think that conditions within teaching have been any way fair or remotely ideal for the past five years,then you've had your head in the sand.

I resent your misinterpretation of my views and find your constant harping against people with strong or indeed imposing views, tiresome. We had a minister who imposed his views on us and drove a horse and carriage through our conditions.The only way to fight back [and I certainly won't apologise to you or to anybody for fighting back] is to have equally strong and imposing views.

look folks , it depends on the school you work in.

The key word being 'precedent'.

We've had the threads of..

Extra classes.
    Notes on moodle for extra curric. students at matches.
    Extra curric. at lunch time.
    Volunteering for duties that should be posts of responsibility.
    Standing for minutes silence for famine because of ministers whim.
    Correcting/Setting exams for students who are away on 'family holidays' during term.
    etc...

It depends on the school, in my school everyone is wary of precedent, as if a critical mass of teachers does something voluntarily then it DOES create an expectation on behalf of the Parents/Students , but the management don't pressure either which is good.

I can easily see that in some posters schools that there are quite a lot of hungry young teachers who dont really care about solidarity and do everything extra they can to ensure some security of tenure...not so easy though if you are a junior teacher with a family, expected to give up your home time. Its obvious that in these schools the management either let em at it or actively demand it.

In other posters schools however there doesn't seem to be the same desperation so solidarity doesn't even enter into the equation. You are an individual entity and no one cares what you do with your own class/time...no precedent will occur.

Thus I think the debate is mainly getting muddled around solidarity/precedent within a school and solidarity/precedent right across all the profession...

The worse thing about it is that things are being 'portrayed' as being on the up so public sector are seen to be back on the pigs back. So unfortunately we won't get ANY work to rule directive from a union in the next few years.

Maybe the best place to bring the issue up is next staff meeting (presumably if you are permanent and not in fear of being let go!).

Just a bit of perspective, some schools are backstabbing hell and others are no-compunction heaven.

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    I can easily see that in some posters schools that there are quite a lot of hungry young teachers who dont really care about solidarity and do everything extra they can to ensure some security of tenure...not so easy though if you are a junior teacher with a family, expected to give up your home time. Its obvious that in these schools the management either let em at it or actively demand it.

In other posters schools however there doesn't seem to be the same desperation so solidarity doesn't even enter into the equation. You are an individual entity and no one cares what you do with your own class/time...no precedent will occur.

I think both of these comments are poor form from you Armelodie considering you are a moderator on this forum.

To describe other members of our profession as 'hungry young teachers who don't really care about solidarity' is an insult to them.

It was alleged that these teachers are in to be seen, when that is one posters view of them. As I pointed out they could just as easily be getting their work done for the day. Plenty of people go in to school early to get work done because they have other commitments outside school so it's handier for them to get it done in the morning rather than the evening.

How do you know solidarity doesn't enter the equation in other schools? We are talking about a very specific set of circumstances here : going in to view LC results on results day and viewing scripts the weekend the first week back to school.

Actually a couple of the teachers that went last year in my school had never done it before, and found it hugely beneficial to see how scripts were corrected, instead of just reading what was accepted in the marking scheme. I gave a few of them a hand with filling in the appeal form for their student. They were delighted they went in when they discovered the appeal was successful in October. A couple of them commented that they had seen grades in the past and had wondered if a student had performed poorly on the day or if they were hard done by, and were now certainly more in the frame of mind of recommending viewings to students if they were not satisfied, because at the end of the day teachers do want the best for their students. I think the teachers that went in saw it as a positive experience for both themselves and the students.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement