Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

€88,000 million

jackie-chan-meme1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Lol Daniel.

Warning: clip contains swearing.

What a muppet, he wasn't even looked where he was going. :pac:

I never liked Montoya tbh and this video just confirms that for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Montoya same as Maldonado .... NO WAY!!!

JPM had the talent to be world champion and was by far one of the best overtakers in F1, when Pastor 'tries' to over take someone it usually ends in carbonfibre. (And that was when there was no DRS or Kers ... u had to use skill to overtake.

It was McLaren's stupid reaction to the crash that took out Kimi(both McLarens) @ indy that made JPM jump ship to the US full time, lets not forget that JPM dominated Indycars b4 he joined F1. (It was Button backing off mid corner that gave him nowhere to go, it wasnt a 'Turkey Red bull' type team mate clash.)

Also Monza related> does JPM still hold the lap record for Monza? lap average (top?) speed of 245mph????!!!!! :eek:
    Pastor has also bankrolled his way to F1, he has speed and put together a win, but the 'red mist' seems to kick in too much, he should also get a race ban if he doesnt tone it down on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Montoya same as Maldonado .... NO WAY!!!

JPM had the talent to be world champion and was by far one of the best overtakers in F1, when Pastor 'tries' to over take someone it usually ends in carbonfibre. (And that was when there was no DRS or Kers ... u had to use skill to overtake.

Pastor has also bankrolled his way F1, he has speed and put together a win, but the 'red mist' seems to kick in too much, he should also get a race ban if he doesnt tone it down on track.

Agree with that, but think about it. If everyone played by the rules, it wouldn't be as fun. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It was McLaren's stupid reaction to the crash that took out Kimi(both McLarens) @ indy that made JPM jump ship to the US full time, lets not forget that JPM dominated Indycars b4 he joined F1.

In fairness was it not JPM reaction ? - JPM did a deal with Ganassi to do Nascar and then told Mclaren that he was off !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Montoya knew/was told whats coming down the line and left. McLaren went nuts cause Mercedes Board was at the race, ilmor, american sponsors and they were goin to nail JPM ..... so he did deal with Ganassi and left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Montoya knew/was told whats coming down the line and left. McLaren went nuts cause Mercedes Board was at the race, ilmor, american sponsors and they were goin to nail JPM ..... so he did deal with Ganassi and left.

JPM was a legend. Very little money and backing compared to nowadays. He should have had at least 1 F1 championship to his name. I remember hearing that he use to travel on animal freight planes from Colombia to go racing in the states.

And a sense of humour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqr9U4u2j7w

dorkacle wrote: »
    What a muppet, he wasn't even looked where he was going. :pac:

I never liked Montoya tbh and this video just confirms that for me!

In all fairness it was the cameramans fault.

His wife is brilliant. Clip could have been a lot different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

In all fairness it was the cameramans fault.

His wife is brilliant. Clip could have been a lot different.

Paddock Control: The incident involving JPM and the cameraman is under investigation...

...neither were looking at each other FFS. JPM completely overreacted.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Lads stick on the Indycar finale, it's gonna be special!

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Paddock Control: The incident involving JPM and the cameraman is under investigation...

...neither were looking at each other FFS. JPM completely overreacted.

He's latin blood in him.

He would have battered the camera man if the wife wasn't there. You can tell by Connie's reaction that this happens ALL the time.

Connie: No No NO Juan Pablo, calm it down .. calm ... calm it down. No No yes the cameraman is a pri6k

Looks like Lewis in NOt going to Merc

Mercedes is offering the seven-time World Champion a new contract for 2013, while Schumacher is apparently pushing for a unilateral option that would allow him to decide to keep racing in 2014, as well.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-report-mercedes-offering-michael-schumacher-2013-contract/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

astrofluff wrote: »

Hamiltons fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hamiltons fault.

In fairness, Schumacher had a hand in it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mercedes is offering the seven-time World Champion a new contract for 2013, while Schumacher is apparently pushing for a unilateral option that would allow him to decide to keep racing in 2014, as well.

Although he has a contract, if Lewis goes to Mercedes I can see Nico leaving and going to McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-report-mercedes-offering-michael-schumacher-2013-contract/

Looks like he could be going :D

McLaren has made contact with Sergio Perez as it explores potential replacements for Lewis Hamilton, according to the Mail on Sunday.

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/88963.html?CMP=chrome

I wonder if the rumors about Schumacher looking for a two year deal are a smokescreen after Bernie let slip about him leaving? Maybe he's leaving after all, Hamilton will go to Merc & Perez will move to McLaren?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

EnterNow wrote: »
    I wonder if the rumors about Schumacher looking for a two year deal are a smokescreen after Bernie let slip about him leaving? Maybe he's leaving after all, Hamilton will go to Merc & Perez will move to McLaren?
    I hate conspiracy theories :mad:

Because they always bring up valid suggestions that I hadn't previously considered :pac:

Can you tell that I'd rather not see the back of Schumi just yet? :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    In fairness, Schumacher had a hand in it too

10 race ban for Maldonado for reminding us of JPM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Can't talk about JPM without posting this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Top Dog wrote: »
    I hate conspiracy theories :mad:

Because they always bring up valid suggestions that I hadn't previously considered :pac:

Can you tell that I'd rather not see the back of Schumi just yet? :D
    Wait until mid-way through next season, when Merc finally have a decent car and all the British tabloids spouting about Hamilton winning with ease when Schu couldn't do in 3 years therefore is better than any other driver of all time...

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Wait until mid-way through next season, when Merc finally have a decent car and all the British tabloids spouting about Hamilton winning with ease when Schu couldn't do in 3 years therefore is better than any other driver of all time...

God yeah, that'll do my head in

I'd personally take Senna over Maldonado any day. Sure Maldonado got William's first win in a very long time but apart from that he has only scored one other time compared to Senna's total of 7 points scoring drives. Maldonado is quick but he always seems to be where the trouble is. Senna's consistency will in my opinion leave him higher up the scoreboard at the end of the season.

Give Maldonado a year or 2. When he calms down. He is a racer, he has cost himself loads of points but he has quallyied the car way higher than it should have been. If only they had kept Ruben's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Cant really see senna keeping his seat near year, take the name away and he's a fairly ordinary driver.
    I'd put money on bottas gettin his drive assuming he gets funding.

Also Jake humphrey leaving bbc for bt vision so wonder who'll get the f1 gig from next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

lolie wrote: »
    Cant really see senna keeping his seat near year, take the name away and he's a fairly ordinary driver.
    I'd put money on bottas gettin his drive assuming he gets funding.

Agreed.

http://www.pitpass.com/47322-Sennas-Williams-future-in-doubt

lolie wrote: »
    Also Jake humphrey leaving bbc for bt vision so wonder who'll get the f1 gig from next year?

Ah ffs is he leaving? The golden era of F1 presentation will truly come to en end. 2009 to 2011 with Jake, Eddie, Brundle & dare I say it, DC as the presentation team was a real joy to watch. Full & complete weekend coverage, no ads, Red Button Forum, Classic GP's...& all for free.

If Jake leaves & DC gets the job it may just be enough to kick me over to Sky. Setanta is unbearable as is, but without the BBC weekends to look forward to I think I'll seek greener pastures {not that I hear Sky is all that great but still, the coverage sounds world class}

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

It's just an extension of what we've seen all year. The coverage that the BBC gave was hands down the best in the sports history. It was informative and funny and brought so many new fans to F1 (and indeed a lot of old fans back)

This year with Brundle, Ted, Crofty and Davidson all moving to SKY the BBC product was weakend but SKY has seemed cold or impresonal for me this year, even though when the race starts Brundle is still the best commentor on F1. Meanwhile the BBC pre-race stuff is still superb and the banter between EJ, Jake and DC has been as good ever....however I dont like Ben Edwards as the lead commentator.

Now we have a situation where there are two channels each offering a product that is very good (compared to previous years) but isnt a patch on what we had before. I know there was nothing that could be done about the way the deals transpired but its sad that the coverage has suffered to such a degree

frostie500 wrote: »
    Now we have a situation where there are two channels each offering a product that is very good

All true. But the problem with BBC's offering is that it's only 50% of the season, meaning it has to go hand in hand with Setanta.

And speaking of Setanta, the UPC rep here has agreed to pass our feedback onto marketing. I know there's no plans yet for UPC to carry Sky F1...but if enough of us made a loud enough noise, maybe that will change in the future?

Post here & make some 2.4 litre v8 noises and help the plight - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056754192

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Any new F1 threads ?

• Advertisement

I have got use to sky now. Herbert is excellent, Brundle and crofty the same. Damon is still a bit wooden but he is a WC. The practise sessions are where you hear the best banter.

The coverage is repetitive but I couldn't watch BBC highlights anymore.

Advertisement