Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Sergio Perez not ready for Ferrari switch - Luca di Montezemolo.

From Autosport.
    Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has effectively ruled out Sergio Perez driving for his team next year, insisting the Mexican is still lacking experience.

Perez has been enjoying an impressive season with Sauber, having finished on the podium three times, including second place in the Italian Grand Prix last weekend, when he beat both Ferrari drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.

The Sauber driver, in his second season in Formula 1, has been linked with Massa's seat for months, prompting di Montezemolo to play down talk of the Mexican landing a 2013 Ferrari seat back in June.

Although Perez has continued to impress this season, di Montezemolo said on Wednesday that 2013 would still be too soon for the Mexican to move into Ferrari.

"Next season is too early," Di Montezemolo told Sky Sports News. "I'm very pleased for him [after Perez finished second at Monza] because first of all it shows that our choice when we have picked up him as a young driver was good.
    With Perez ruled out, and if Massa moves on, who will get the gig at Ferrari then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I wouldn't rule out Massa staying. If he improves still more in the next few races he would make a sensible choice. He's seems to be content at being Alonso's helper whereas someone like Perez may actually be fast enough to occasionally make life difficult.

Other candidates; KOV maybe? He'd be fast enough, but not too fast. No one else on the grid with the experience that doesn't already have a contract.

Adrian Sutil as a very long shot. He was convicted for glassing Eric Lux so they may not want to go near him. Also in theory he wouldn't be allowed a visa for many of the countries like the US, Aus, Canada - but I'm sure Bernie can smooth out those sorts of issues.

Edit: Didn't think of Kobayashi. He's certainly calmed it down a bit and could be good for the Ferrari brand in Asia.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Schumacher :)

I wouldn't mind that :)
    OSI wrote: »
    This is the Ferrari dillema. They want an experienced and consistant driver, that will willingly be second fiddle to Alonso, and none of the more experienced drivers in F1 are going to want to do that.

Perhaps Kovaleinen or Kobayashi could be make their way to Ferrari. They've both been in F1 long enough to know the score, give reasonably good and consistent performances given the limitations of their cars, and would likely be willing to play Ferrari's games for a shot at the big time.

I would like if Ferrari gave Kobayashi a shot. If they did, he would be the first Japanese driver to race for them in F1.
    Rascasse wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out Massa staying. If he improves still more in the next few races he would make a sensible choice. He's seems to be content at being Alonso's helper whereas someone like Perez may actually be fast enough to occasionally make life difficult.

Other candidates; KOV maybe? He'd be fast enough, but not too fast. No one else on the grid with the experience that doesn't already have a contract.

Adrian Sutil as a very long shot. He was convicted for glassing Eric Lux so they may not want to go near him. Also in theory he wouldn't be allowed a visa for many of the countries like the US, Aus, Canada - but I'm sure Bernie can smooth out those sorts of issues.

Edit: Didn't think of Kobayashi. He's certainly calmed it down a bit and could be good for the Ferrari brand in Asia.

I agree about Massa. He scored points in the last 3 races. 9th in Hungary, 5th in Belgium and 4th in Italy. That's 24 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I bet Massa is going nowhere. Heaven forbid Alonso should have another repeat of 2007,beaten by a better driver :)

*quickly runs away*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Knowing Ferrari, they will probably go for Bruno Senna.

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    The sponsors bring money to the teams and the teams do pay the drivers, but relatively little compared to the sponsorship the driver brings to the team.

I had a look at what sponsorship monies Maldonado & Senna took to Williams and what salaries they earn.

Pastor Maldonado brings around €56m in sponsorship money and draws a salary of €400,000.

Bruno Senna brings around €15m in sponsorship money and draws a salary of €250,000.

Sources: crash.net & the guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

antodeco wrote: »
    Knowing Ferrari, they will probably go for Bruno Senna.

Or Roman. He could help y taking out half the opposition :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I personally think Perez is very well developed, level headed guy. He never seems to be in the deep end unlike other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I had a look at what sponsorship monies Maldonado & Senna took to Williams and what salaries they earn.

Pastor Maldonado brings around €56m in sponsorship money and draws a salary of €400,000.

Bruno Senna brings around €15m in sponsorship money and draws a salary of €250,000.

Sources: crash.net & the guardian.

I think those amounts may be a bit high. For Pastor there is the famous invoice that works out to about €36m and I read somewhere that Bruno could be worth 'as little' as US$4m.

Still huge amounts and disgusting in Pastors case considering the poverty in Venezuela to spend so much public cash for a guy to drive around in circles to make the president look good.

I think those amounts may be a bit high. For Pastor there is the famous invoice that works out to about €36m and I read somewhere that Bruno could be worth 'as little' as US$4m.

I read in the same article you linked above Maldonado will be bringing about €49.9m to Williams by 2015. The funds he brings to Williams will rise every year until the end of 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Indeed, I don't like the way its hidden on on his website. Being a 'serious' journalist you'd think he'd have a proper ethics statement and declare his (and Tremayne's) possible conflict of interest.

Saying that, his blogs is worth reading for the occasional scoop and thoughtful analysis.
    In fairness to Joe he has never denied being a director at Caterham and states on his site:
    In the interests of full disclosure, Joe is a non-executive director of Caterham Cars Group Ltd. This is an advisory role in the company that oversees the road car business. Joe is not in any way involved in the operations or management of the F1 team. His involvement in the road car business will not influence his F1 reporting in any way.

Bruno Senna.

Do you think his seat will be safe at Williams?

I was looking at his points scoring stats, and he scored 25 points in 7 races. He is also 4 points behind Pastor Maldonado in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Bruno Senna.

I was looking at his points scoring stats, and he scored 25 points in 7 races. He is also 4 points behind Pastor Maldonado in the championship.

I'd say Frank wouldn't be too keen on upsetting the Senna family again on a personal level. But financially he brings enough money to get a seat in F1. Their car has improved this year and it is probably due to the massive amounts of money Maldonado and Senna are bringing. To be honest, I'd replace both drivers, but financially it makes sense to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Would anyone like to see Kimi in a Ferrari again or do you prefer seeing him battling it out as an underdog in a Lotus?
    Personally I’d love to see him back at the prancing horse but not sure its big enough for him and Alonso

iDave wrote: »
    Would anyone like to see Kimi in a Ferrari again or do you prefer seeing him battling it out as an underdog in a Lotus?
    Personally I’d love to see him back at the prancing horse but not sure its big enough for him and Alonso

You can't have two number one drivers anymore, just doesn't work (for the upper teams). Alonso would be the number one driver there.

I have to think that Frank Williams has to be devastated at the position the team has been in, in the last 5+ years. Having to give drives to poor low grade drivers just to keep the team going, when not that long ago, they were one of the super powers of the sport must be gut wrenching for someone like Frank.

When Williams split with BMW in 2005, it went downhill. They lost their biggest sponsor (HP) and other sponsors departed the team to join another team or leave the sport completely.

Losing BMW & HP was a massive blow to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

iDave wrote: »

Not with Baby Alonso..

anyhow, Kimi is his own man and would never play second fiddle for anyone.

On another note :

The management of Heikki Kovalainen has been invited to Ferrari to discuss a drive for the 2013 Formula 1 season. That is according to Finnish television company MTV3, with the Caterham driver now being tipped as a leading candidate for Fernando Alonso’s team-mate.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/283969/kovalainen-s-management-visits-ferrari/

The Walrus nosed BMW Williams FW26 is still one of my favourite looking F1 cars.

Montoya_2004_Canada.jpg

Also, I miss Montoya in F1.

That Williams has a very nice livery.

Montoya, very quick but hot headed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've a Scalextric set of the Williams BMW cars that I bought when I worked in a BMW main dealer a good few years ago. Must dig it out, looks like the car above

He was a bit of a Pastor alright in fact he still is!

Hold it! I cant accept Montoya being compared to Pastor! Juan Pablo came into F1 and was immediately one of the star drivers who was fast and consistent for Williams in 2001. I'll grant that he was hotheaded off the track but on track he was always a real racer.

With regards to the earlier comments about Pastor I think it's very important to see the value that he brings to Williams in more ways than just money. He was absolutely flawless in Barcelona. That was, for me at least, the best performance by any driver all year.

He's defintely a "rough diamond" in many ways but he has consistently shown that there is a really good driver trying to emerge. With, pretty much, no testing anymore it takes young drivers a lot longer to find the balance between winning and finishing.

When Raikkonen, Montoya and Alonso came to F1 in 2001 (by the way I cant think of many better rookie classes in F1 history!) they did so with a huge amount of testing. Look at Hamilton and Kovalainen before their first races they had done over 20,000km of testing. Maldonado, and Grosjean, probably still havent ammassed that sort of seat time.

With regards to Williams I think that Pastor and Senna is a really good partnership. Maldonado has the potential to be a really quick racer when he calms down and Senna is very consistent, doesnt make mistakes and when the car is right he can be very quick.

Frank isnt sitting there thinking "how has my team got to this point" he's thinking that finally they can see light at the end of the tunnel

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Frank isnt sitting there thinking "how has my team got to this point" he's thinking that finally they can see light at the end of the tunnel

Getting Mike Coughlan and the Renault engines on board has sent Williams back in the right direction.

Getting Mike Coughlan and the Renault engines on board has sent Williams back in the right direction.

And sacking half their upper management! :pac:

I was only messing Montoya is a far better driver than Pastor and in fact probably a better driver than a lot of guys on the grid. Sure he is much happier punting people off in Nascar these days :pac:

Thank God that's cleared up, was getting worried! :D

Montoya wrote:
    You facking idiot! You breaked my head! Facking idiot!

:pac:

frostie500 wrote: »
    When Raikkonen, Montoya and Alonso came to F1 in 2001 (by the way I cant think of many better rookie classes in F1 history!) they did so with a huge amount of testing. Look at Hamilton and Kovalainen before their first races they had done over 20,000km of testing. Maldonado, and Grosjean, probably still havent ammassed that sort of seat time.

I didn't think Kimi had had a lot of experience before F1.

Lol Daniel.

Warning: clip contains swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I didn't think Kimi had had a lot of experience before F1.
    Kimi had only 23 car races under his belt and was lucky to get his super licence. In fact, he was only given a temporary 4 race licence at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bruno Senna.

I'd personally take Senna over Maldonado any day. Sure Maldonado got William's first win in a very long time but apart from that he has only scored one other time compared to Senna's total of 7 points scoring drives. Maldonado is quick but he always seems to be where the trouble is. Senna's consistency will in my opinion leave him higher up the scoreboard at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Still huge amounts and disgusting in Pastors case considering the poverty in Venezuela to spend so much public cash for a guy to drive around in circles to make the president look good.

In fairness to spend €36million on sponsorship for a national hero when the companies annual revenue is €88,000 million doesn't seem that much out of order. I wouldn't be surprised if Shell or Petronas spend around the same on sponsorship.

• Advertisement

I'd personally take Senna over Maldonado any day. Sure Maldonado got William's first win in a very long time but apart from that he has only scored one other time compared to Senna's total of 7 points scoring drives. Maldonado is quick but he always seems to be where the trouble is. Senna's consistency will in my opinion leave him higher up the scoreboard at the end of the season.

The only other place where Maldonado scored points apart from his win was in China where he finished 8th and picked up 4 points. He didn't score points since his win at Spain, so that's 8 races in a row where he didn't score points.

If Senna keeps on going the way he has so far, I do think he will finish ahead of Maldonado in the standings by the end of the season.

Advertisement