Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POC's Red Card.++ Mod Warning. Read OP++

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

If you didn't have that first line which is definitely due to spark something, I'd agree unquestionably with this whole post.

Gwan and delete it just to keep some civility.

Done Emmet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Sigh.....locked.Will be reviewing at my leisure.

**edit** Re-opening, not as bad as I first feared. Again folks, a gentle reminder, watch the tribalism and personal abuse. zero-tolerance on this thread.You have been warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Boom__Boom wrote: »

I don't care what anyone says about the incident itself, you got to love the what of disbelief from Leamy when POC gets the card. Quality :D

Actually watching Leamy now has become a sideshow in his own right!
    His instinct is to get involved and just as he's getting stuck in he remembers he's captain and pulls back leaving his opponent wondering what the hell is going on as he turns around and starts to break up the fight he probably started.
    Yesterday he nearly threw the ball in Phillips face (Phillips has that kind of face doesn't he?) and checked himself and almost apologised to a confused Phillips, pure Jekyll and Hyde comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Was what Thomas did to POC any worse then what DOC did to Phillips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Anyone here who is making the "it wasn't an elbow" excuse or whatever:

Two things.
    1) Have a look at any incident of striking with the forearm and see what it was called. I recall Woody getting carded and a penalty at restart for hammering an english lad with the forearm after scoring a try. call was leading with the elbow.

2) get a mate to smash you in the face with his forearm on one side and the with his elbow on the other side of your face. I would wager that there will not be a noticeable difference in how much pain each side will be in. By all means report back.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    2) get a mate to smash you in the face with his forearm on one side and the with his elbow on the other side of your face. I would wager that there will not be a noticeable difference in how much pain each side will be in. By all means report back.

If you do do this, we demand video evidence

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Was what Thomas did to POC any worse then what DOC did to Phillips?

No, same thing really. Went on all day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

I don't care what anyone says about the incident itself, you got to love the what of disbelief from Leamy when POC gets the card. Quality :D

The highlight for me is 1:03 in
    Santa Cancels Christmas

buck65 wrote: »
    No, same thing really. Went on all day yesterday.

It probally happens in all matches to a degree - players getting their jerseys tugged back when chasing kicks - in the Toulon v london Irish game - sackey clearly got tackled without the ball which would def had led to a try 3 ms short of the tryline - ref missed it. POC had a red mist moment like Heaslip in NZ, eric Miller had one in a Celtic League final back in 2001, brent pope had one in an AIL final - hopefully it will be a one off- shame it was so quick after his long awaited comback.
    It reminds me in a way of the Henri incident - robbie keane got caught a couple of times handling the ball in the box in that game if the ref had missed one and it had led to a goal for Ireland - what would the Irish fans reaction have been?

• Advertisement

POC had a red mist moment like Heaslip in NZ

I wouldn't put those 2 incidents in the same bracket. There was malice in what Heaslip did, POC was more of a "get the f*ck off me" moment. (Anyone who sees this as a provincial attack can ignore it and try not give excuses for the ban-hammer to come out...please :D)

POC's saving grace besides a great disiplinary until now, is that he made no attempt to use the elbow and hence imo. didn't mean to cause harm. It was the shrug of a fired up giant :D

Edit: You didn't really compare then other that refer them as moments of stupidity so my first comments might not be relevant depending on how you intended it to come across.

I wouldn't put those 2 incidents in the same bracket. There was malice in what Heaslip did, POC was more of a "get the f*ck off me" moment. (Anyone who sees this as a provincial attack can ignore it and try not get the thread locked...please)

POC's saving grace besides a great disiplinary until now, is that he made no attempt to use the elbow and hence imo. didn't mean to cause harm. It was the shrug of a fired up giant :D

You could say Heaslip was trying to clear the ruck but totally inexcusable and unlike him. If POC didn't mean to cause harm he would hit downwards at the guys arms where he was grabbing him which you see all the time. Both totally out of character.

It probally happens in all matches to a degree - players getting their jerseys tugged back when chasing kicks - in the Toulon v london Irish game - sackey clearly got tackled without the ball which would def had led to a try 3 ms short of the tryline - ref missed it. POC had a red mist moment like Heaslip in NZ, eric Miller had one in a Celtic League final back in 2001, brent pope had one in an AIL final - hopefully it will be a one off- shame it was so quick after his long awaited comback.
    It reminds me in a way of the Henri incident - robbie keane got caught a couple of times handling the ball in the box in that game if the ref had missed one and it had led to a goal for Ireland - what would the Irish fans reaction have been?

It does happen in all matches. Munster seemed to have a strategy of holding back Phillips all game to slow him down, DOC gave away a penalty for it, but the ref/linesmen should have called fore penalties for the incidents because the Preys were taking out the support runners all game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

straight red totally justified for me ... kids watching this MUST be given clear signs that these kind of behaviour has nothing to do on a rugby pitch.

He was the first guy to put opponents out of their nerves before ( Cudmore incident ) so you have to accept when it happens to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Lawstudent1

As someone who competes in combative sport I'd like to chime in here with my experience to correct a few people. Some posters are accusing Thomas of diving because (A) It wasn't an elbow it was forearm and (B) It only connected with the mouth i.e jaw area.

Just FYI, A forearm will generate a lot more force than an elbow and a forearm with that kind of momentum behind it connecting with the chin area will cause the legs to buckle. If anything Thomas would have been acting up had he fallen to the floor with an elbow to any other area of the face!

If you connect a strong blow on the area O'Connell hit then you're likely to at the very least cause someone to fall to the floor. If you were to factor in the fact that O'Connell is 18.5 stone and had a complete full swing of the forearm then I'd almost gaurantee the victim's legs would buckle. Whilst its true that the other player is almost as big as O'Connell the fact remains that when somone the size of O'Connell connects with that momentum and in the jaw area its going to bring someone to the floor. I was actually surpised Thomas wasn't KO'd from it if anything.

Too many armchair warriors on this forum giving completely wrong opinions in an area they obviously know nothing about.

My opinion : Straight Red, malice intended as he knew Thomas was behind him and after the whistle to make things worse. If it was a French or English player you'd be screaming for his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

BoarHunter wrote: »
    straight red totally justified for me ... kids watching this MUST be given clear signs that these kind of behaviour has nothing to do on a rugby pitch.

He was the first guy to put opponents out of their nerves before ( Cudmore incident ) so you have to accept when it happens to you.

Don't getya what you mean?

Don't getya what you mean?

means that POC is no stranger to what the Osprey player was doing to him and he should know how to deal with this situation. He has been on the other guys skin many times. Him and DOC actually have been champions for teasing the nerves of their opponents for many years. It's part of the game but i know POC is better than what he showed yesterday.

Just FYI, A forearm will generate a lot more force than an elbow and a forearm with that kind of momentum behind it connecting with the chin area will cause the legs to buckle. If anything Thomas would have been acting up had he fallen to the floor with an elbow to any other area of the face!

The rest of the post are just opinions I don't agree with and there is no need for me to get into it, but the piece in bold above is not true

Sure the forearm will be moving at a greater speed and have a greater mass, but an elbow would cause more damage because of its greater surface area. A simple example would be a 16st guy stepping on your foot in a club and a 8st girl doing the same in her favourite heels. The girl (from experience :() will cause much greater pain because the area the force is being applied to.

There was a great force in POC's arm and I have no problem with Thomas falling to the ground. Him clutching his forehead when he went down did look like theatrics though, maybe it was from a whiplash effect (and it could well be) but it looked like play acting to me.

Calling it malicious is just ignoring the incident completely imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

As someone who competes in combative sport I'd like to chime in here with my experience to correct a few people. Some posters are accusing Thomas of diving because (A) It wasn't an elbow it was forearm and (B) It only connected with the mouth i.e jaw area.

If you connect a strong blow on the area O'Connell hit then you're likely to at the very least cause someone to fall to the floor. If you were to factor in the fact that O'Connell is 18.5 stone and had a complete full swing of the forearm then I'd almost gaurantee the victim's legs would buckle. Whilst its true that the other player is almost as big as O'Connell the fact remains that when somone the size of O'Connell connects with that momentum and in the jaw area its going to bring someone to the floor. I was actually surpised Thomas wasn't KO'd from it if anything.
    Your post lacks the physiological insight required to understand and explain what it is that causes a KO, concussion or loss of conciousness and coordination consequent to a blow to the head. It also now appears that Thomas did not receive a blow to the head or sustain the injury he was subsequently treated for in the incident with Paulie.
    ... Too many armchair warriors on this forum giving completely wrong opinions in an area they obviously know nothing about...
    That's a rather ironic comment and also contrary to the forum charter - comment on the posts, not on the posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Too many armchair warriors on this forum giving completely wrong opinions in an area they obviously know nothing about.

My opinion : Straight Red, malice intended as he knew Thomas was behind him and after the whistle to make things worse. If it was a French or English player you'd be screaming for his head.

All very well put but just 1 question, if he was struck on the jaw, why was he clutching his forehead? Part of the professional game is exaggerating an injury to remove an opponent from the field and gain an advantage for your team...
    All this longwinded bull is meaningless when you look at the simple facts:
    1. The ref gave a red because from his angle it looked like an elbow
    2. POC should know better than to swing out recklessly like that, he left the ref no option, regardless of wether or not there was intent...
    3. Thomas did the professional thing and made sure a valuable member of a rival team would not only miss the rest of the match, but in all probability the return leg next week.....
    The rest of this thread should be dedicated to Irish fans lamenting O'Connells stupidity because 1 of our few world class players, who is in serious need of game-time, could miss 2/4/6/8 weeks.... That's the real story.

• Advertisement

BoarHunter wrote: »
    means that POC is no stranger to what the Osprey player was doing to him and he should know how to deal with this situation. He has been on the other guys skin many times. Him and DOC actually have been champions for teasing the nerves of their opponents for many years. It's part of the game but i know POC is better than what he showed yesterday.

How does that relate to the Cudmore incident? His fight with Cudmore showed that he always aware of the ramifictions of his actions as he made sure the lines man knew exactly what was happening... :confused:

How does that relate to the Cudmore incident? His fight with Cudmore showed that he always aware of the ramifictions of his actions as he made sure the lines man knew exactly what was happening... :confused:

Cudmore was not out of controle for nothing ;) someone had to activate him. POC and DOC knew who to target as Cudmore is famous for being weak and even though he advised the line man that didn't allow POC to punch the guy on the ground.

I can talk to you abou this on IM if you want as this has nothing to do here and i'm sorry i have brought that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This thread is about POC and his red card. Any further mention of Heaslip will result in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hearing on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Teej

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/13329.php

"Under the IRB Recommended Sanctions for Offences Committed within the Playing Enclosure, Law 10.4 (a) - Striking an opponent with a hand, arm or fist carries the following penalties:

Lower End: 2 weeks
    Middle Range: 5 weeks
    Top End: 8+ weeks
    Maximum Sanction: 52 weeks"

Presume these can be reduced if POC is considered to have a good prior disciplinary record. Having the hearing on Thursday night doesn't allow much time for Munster to make an appeal if are unhappy with the verdict.

On the elbow or arm damage debate - a top end elbow strike warrants 9+ weeks which I guess means IRB consider it marginally worse

I'd say that it could come in the middle range and be lowered to 2/3 weeks for previous record, unless a lack of intend warrants 2/3 weeks and it is lowered to a week. I can't see it being in the high range tbh.

Anything higher than the 2 weeks Mealumu got for a flying headbutt would be ruled out if there were any consistencies in how the laws are applied, but Mealumu is a starting All Black, POC plays for Munster...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'd say that it could come in the middle range and be lowered to 2/3 weeks for previous record, unless a lack of intend warrants 2/3 weeks and it is lowered to a week. I can't see it being in the high range tbh.

Anything higher than the 2 weeks Mealumu got for a flying headbutt would be ruled out if there were any consistencies in how the laws are applied, but Mealumu is a starting All Black, POC plays for Munster...

We've probably supporters of every rugby playing nation in the world claiming bias against their team in the forum at this stage. It must be that the ERC and IRB just hate every team... or maybe they're not biased at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

erc tend to hand down much stiffer punishments...i wouldn't hold out much hope for a short ban. if it was the magners league or the IRB (both of whom are far too lenient tbh) he'd probably avoid suspension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

From seeing the videos, and stills, and knowing the ERC, I'd say he'll get 4-5 week ban.

Unlikely he'll get much less. Probably the best he can hope for is a 3 week ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Personally, I think it was nothing more than a yellow, a stupid moment of hotheadedness but not a red. I certainly don't think it deserves a ban. If POC really wanted to cause damage he'd turn around and hit him, not hit him with the forearm like that. Due to this high profile though, I wouldn't be surprised if he was used as an example though in the hearing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement