Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulletproof diet ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd be curious about the high levels of caffeine and potential to create some type of adrenal fatigue long term...

Its the secret to these diets, see this and carb back loading, dose people up on coffee big time and they feel great then they get used to it then stop doing the diet and feel like sh1te from the caffeine drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

been reading this thread since its inception and initially skeptical of what appears to be just another fad approach but I'm looking at upping my fat intake and wondering if this would be enough. I'm lazy and not a great cook, I have coconut oil but rarely fry stuff so its just getting left on the shelf and if a dollop of butter in the coffee in the morning compensates than that would be handy. (I eat a few raw nuts every now and then but other than that very little red meat and just the occasional oily fish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I have tried bulletproof coffee and can say I really felt it, it woke me up, felt more alert and focused.

Alternatively, it also had a bad effect on me to. Got horrible cramps from it and general fatigue in the evenings as well, it can also get quite hard to drink after a while I find, the texture at first is amazing but it slowly gets a bit sickly.

The diet on the other hand seems straight forward enough, high enough protein and fat and no crap carbs etc, seems pretty standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

OK, a week in & I've gone from 91.4kg (201.6lbs) to 83.25kg (183.54lbs). Energy levels are through the roof on this. Have been experiencing some headaches but nothing too bad & I suspect it's the caffeine.

Because my energy levels are higher I've been doing more/expending more energy.

Have almost totally cut white bread out of my diet & feel a lot better for it.

Want to lose about another 3kg (6.6lbs) as I'm going on holiday in four weeks so will keep it up. If I do, I'll be the lightest I've been since a teenager.

Should also mention (little gross so using spoilers)
    Bowel movements have been more frequent (twice a day instead of once), larger (in volume) & looser (solid but easier to go, no pushing) than before because of the coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

j@utis wrote: »
    that's fine. if somebody is on 2000kcal diet and after this has two more meals later in the day that leaves 700kcal per meal which is perfect ;)

I make mine with around 30g of fat in total.

edit: I think this diet allows small amounts of grain which is a no no in paleo diet.

I think his point was if you have possibly 300 mg of caffeine and 600 calories in the morning, of course you are not going to be hungry till lunch. You can hardly call having a boat load of cals fasting just because its in a coffee.

A lot of simple things are going over peoples heads with regards this bulletproof diet. Calories + **** ton of caffeine = Energy.

Could anyone tell me if you drink the bulletproof coffee more than once in a day?

[QUOTE=Davei141;85908824

Could anyone tell me if you drink the bulletproof coffee more than once in a day?[/QUOTE]

I drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day, 2 cups immersion brewed in the morning and the rest steam brewed. Each one I put cream/coconut oil/coconut milk. ymmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I have had to give up regularly drinking coffee due to sleep issues if I have a cup past 1pm, and if i had a few in the morning the slump just wasn't worth it mid day.

I drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day, 2 cups immersion brewed in the morning and the rest steam brewed. Each one I put cream/coconut oil/coconut milk. ymmv

That's a dangerously high amount of caffeine & huge calories with the additions.

OU812 wrote: »
    That's a dangerously high amount of caffeine & huge calories with the additions.

Its about 400mg total caffeine, 120mg x 2 immersion brews, and 80mg for the steam brewed. I have high tolerance for stimulants and 400mg is not dangerous. Huge calories is relative, its roughly 100cals per brew which is counted towards my fat balance for the day.

Here's some light reading on the subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15982904

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I've been using 50/50 mix of regular mid roast and decaf coffee for over a week now and the effect is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

I can't use dairy.. would flora do r would that just defeat the purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I had my first bullet proof coffee this morning. Used a French press with2table spoons and a bit of good quality coffee to make 400 mls of coffee mixed with2tbs of coconut oil and 2tbs of butter and used a frother to whisk it up.

The taste was nice and i enjoyed it and i certainly feel more perkey and energetic this morning however i do not feel full and still had to have some porridge half an hour after taking he coffee.

Just wondering are other people experience this or am i not using the right quantities of ingredients or not mixing correctly

conor678 wrote: »

Just wondering are other people experience this or am i not using the right quantities of ingredients or not mixing correctly

Placebo effect and people not used to drinking coffee first thing in the morning.

Placebo effect and people not used to drinking coffee first thing in the morning.

Honestly, I have to argue with you. I've drunk coffee in the mornings for a long time & throughout the day also. I've also been a constant grazer, I'd have my breakfast & then continue to eat constantly throughout the morning.

That's gone now. I have coffee between 8 & 9 & then very rarely feel anyway hungry until lunchtime, sometimes as late as three, because I'll forget to eat because I'm not hungry. I never had any energy & now I do.

It's not for everyone though, I'll admit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

How about the eat less calories then you need to maintain your current weight diet. 100% of the time it works every time ! Its easy and doesnt cost anything but a bit of self control. No depriving yourself of any foods or eliminating this or that . Its simple really. Coffee with butter lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

dor843088 wrote: »
    How about the eat less calories then you need to maintain your current weight diet. 100% of the time it works every time ! Its easy and doesnt cost anything but a bit of self control. No depriving yourself of any foods or eliminating this or that . Its simple really. Coffee with butter lol.

If that works for you then great.. it doesn't work for me or the millions of other yoyo dieters out there

Following this regime has given me sustained energy through out the day, better sleep and I eat all the meat, fish & veg I want...

What I'm not eating is sugar filled crap and processed food like I did before...

3.5kg down in 17days...argue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TBoneMan wrote: »
    If that works for you then great.. it doesn't work for me or the millions of other yoyo dieters out there

Following this regime has given me sustained energy through out the day, better sleep and I eat all the meat, fish & veg I want...

What I'm not eating is sugar filled crap and processed food like I did before...

Dropping massive amounts of weights too fast should be argued against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

at the beginning some of weight loss is due to the loss of water - eating loads of carbs encourages water retention in the body.

Dropping massive amounts of weights too fast should be argued against.

Its all water from coffee (diuretic) and low carbs . Not sustainable imo.

Its all water from coffee (diuretic) and low carbs . Not sustainable imo.

Coffee being a diuretic is an overstatement. You need large amounts of caffeine to have any impact ~600mg for a normal sized person.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

If I have margarine and de-caf does it double the weight loss?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

See that bit in bold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm enjoying bulletproof coffee. Twice a week, I lift while fasted in the morning and would have always had a black coffee before going to the gym. However, my stomach would be roaring by the time I'm done and would feel weak afterwards.

Tried the same amount of coffee with 1tsp butter and 1tsp coconut oil and I honestly can't tell if it gives me more energy in the gym. However, I don't feel hungry til I'm cooking my morning bacon and I still have energy by the time I'm leaving the gym.

Probably either psychological or perhaps I'm just getting stronger, but the hunger prevention is enough to keep me on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

don't often go together - self control isn't easy.
    That's why people who have it are lauded.

Otherwise why rave about somebody strutting about on facebook with 5% bf.
    if self control was easy then the rest would follow easily.

but yeah - bulletproof coffee sound rank and there has to be a better way.

Coffee being a diuretic is an overstatement. You need large amounts of caffeine to have any impact ~600mg for a normal sized person.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

From experience one cup of coffee makes me piss . Tea does not . Preworkouts have the same affect , have to have a mid workout piss.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Slide to power off

It's interesting that Ray Peat recommends black coffee with coconut oil and sugar.

don't often go together - self control isn't easy.
    That's why people who have it are lauded.

Otherwise why rave about somebody strutting about on facebook with 5% bf.
    if self control was easy then the rest would follow easily.

but yeah - bulletproof coffee sound rank and there has to be a better way.

Maybe your correct . However I think most people go way too aggressive and strict with dieting making things far more difficult thqn it has to be thus making self control and sticking to their plan a real struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Maybe your correct . However I think most people go way too aggressive and strict with dieting making things far more difficult thqn it has to be thus making self control and sticking to their plan a real struggle.

good point and i think you are right.
    I think many people are using (or mis-using) the 5:2 diet , for example, to that end.

gavtron wrote: »
    See that bit in bold?

Yes ... why the question mark ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Yes ... why the question mark ...

It looks like unbeknownst to yourself you're actually eating a much better diet than you were before, combined with the coffee for breakfast, you've said you are eating less processed food and less sugar...that in itself will have a serious (positive) effect on your body!

I highlighted that part because it's the most important part of what you have been doing, in my opinion, if the coffee makes it easier to keep eating healthy then keep it up but I'd still concentrate on eating better food than what a couple of cups of coffee will do!

Well done on the weight loss!

P.S. Have tried bulletproof coffee, liked it, tea doesn't work as well with MCT oil :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 leno1979

Has anyone used the MCT brand 'OLIMP' or can you clarify something for me??? Ive been using cocconut oil from an asian store with my coffee and butter but want to try the MCT oil so i saw a bottle of OLIMP MCT oil in a supplements store but when i read the label it said MCT vegetable oil, im prob being a bit dim here but i thought MCT was the highly purified oil extracted from cocconut oil? Im confused then as to why this brand says MCt vegetable oil, does it mean the same thing or more importantly am i getting hung up on something that wont matter ie just use this MCT oil ,it will have the same effect regardless????

leno1979 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the MCT brand 'OLIMP' or can you clarify something for me??? Ive been using cocconut oil from an asian store with my coffee and butter but want to try the MCT oil so i saw a bottle of OLIMP MCT oil in a supplements store but when i read the label it said MCT vegetable oil, im prob being a bit dim here but i thought MCT was the highly purified oil extracted from cocconut oil? Im confused then as to why this brand says MCt vegetable oil, does it mean the same thing or more importantly am i getting hung up on something that wont matter ie just use this MCT oil ,it will have the same effect regardless????

MCTs can be derived from any oil...however the best is from palm kernel & coconut ... I switched to the upgraded MCT oil last week. It certainly keeps you regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmanewbie

Posted this in another forum but is it possible to pick up unsalted KerryGold butter in Dublin city centre?

If not, is there any good alternative people can recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Avonmore unsalted butter is what I normally get, should be available in most stores.

Avonmore or connacht gold are the 2 best ... kerrygold unsalted is not available in Ireland ... I rang them to check

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Avonmore or connacht gold are the 2 best ... kerrygold unsalted is not available in Ireland ... I rang them to check

That's odd, cos I've bought it numerous times.

Where...the silver foiled kerrygold NOT the gold one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Where did you buy it?

Seven days later and no response, I'd say he was trolling ya.

• Advertisement

As an update. I've not done this in about two weeks because I was on holiday eating & drinking plenty - I gained between 4-6lbs I'd say. Didn't feel comfortable in myself at all.

Just weighed myself & am currently 181lbs (82.1kg) which is marginally lighter than I was the last time I checked in. So taking into account the weight gain while away, I'm down 20.5lbs (9.3kg) in about six weeks.

Feeling good.

Will be starting a gym next week & hoping for about another 10lbs (4.5kg) loss. I'd be happy with maintaining that.

I've had yoyo weight ever since my teens & this is probably the easiest & fastest way (not to mention the most lost), I've ever lost weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

Is this thread some kind of ****ing joke? Is everyone on this forum now either a troll or a shill? There are 3 guys pushing this special coffee, coconut oil, butter ****.

Is this thread some kind of ****ing joke? Is everyone on this forum now either a troll or a shill? There are 3 guys pushing this special coffee, coconut oil, butter ****.

I think its a bit like religion . Its complete bull**** but people still dedicate themselves to it and swear by it .

It's worked for me. I'm not pushing it. If you don't like it don't try it.

But what you and others seem to be saying is that you changed your coffee practice and your eating/exercise regimen and achieved weight loss but are attributing it to coffee. The link presumably being the coffee pushed you to do more exercise / eat less.

Yes, that's exactly what happened & I've stated as much earlier in the thread. It was a stimulus (to me personally).

Prior to doing it I'd feel incredibly hungry in the mornings if I didn't carb load, which this cut out by 1 giving me energy & 2 making me feel full. As a result of carb loading, I'd be very lethargic & wouldn't exercise much at all. I'd also graze a lot throughout the day.

Because I had more energy I was doing more & because I was eating less, I was losing weight.

I didn't use any special type of coffee & in fact for the first couple of days was just using Cart Noir instant. However I can't argue with the facts as they stand - that I'm down 20.5lbs in six or so weeks.

I've had weight issues my whole life & am probably anything to 14lbs still over my "ideal" weight, but I feel & look better now & I've had the impetus to join a gym.

• Advertisement

Amazing. I wonder if coconuts , coffe beans and dairy cows ever co exist in the same region in palaeo times?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cgmd1

I tried the bulletproof coffee recipe for a while.

Used coffee beans from Badger & Dodo (excellent stuff btw), MCT Oil and Avonmore Unsalted Butter.

In my experience its a really nice concoction to drink in the morning, tastes great despite how it sounds. Particularly on those cold winter mornings.

It will definitely give you a mental kick, more so than coffee alone.

It will make you hot, I would get a marked increase in how warm I felt after it.

I've gone back to plain black coffee but still make it occasionally.

There are various incarnations of 'fatty' coffee on the web. I say try them if you want and see if you like them. Certainly worse things you could be having in the morning.

Actually, I haven't used Coconut oil at all, cant stand the taste/smell at all.

I understand totally your scepticism, however, have you tried it ? Why not try it & then report back ?

No I've never put MDMA in my Guinness either but there is a lad on the dance music forum who swears by it. Shoud I give that a swirl to a report back. Do you sell this product by the way?

OU812 wrote: »
    Actually, I haven't used Coconut oil at all, cant stand the taste/smell at all.

I understand totally your scepticism, however, have you tried it ? Why not try it & then report back ?

Why not try reducing your calories for a while and report back? Oh wait no need cos we all know its the only thing that works anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement