Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I couldn't get the Naked palette at all before Christmas. It was meant to be part of my Christmas present, so I got the NYC palette instead. I love it!! I use it all the time.
    I recently bought Benefit's High Beam highlighter. I've got oily skin so I always have to wear matte make-up or risk looking oily (yuck!). I love this highlighter, especially for nights out because it gives a nice shimmer without being glittery or oily looking. Comes out nice in photos too!
    I got a cream eyeshadow, also by Benefit. The colour is called "sippin' n dippin' " and it's a lovely neutral, kinda peachy colour. It's really easy to apply and blends really well with other eyeshadows. I use it as a base colour all the time because it blends with any colour. One thing though, I have to use primer with it or else it'll get creased!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Hey ladies I've got quite a few bits to review for you today :D

Sticking with the elf theme I picked the most recent purchases I got from the site.

All Over Color Stick
    Colour: Pink Lemonade
    Scent: Sugar Orange
    Price: €1.70
    183205_10150107247067259_833992258_6227368_3636828_n.jpg
    I love this because it's has several uses. You can use it on the eyes, lips and face :) I like this best on my cheeks it's great for contouring. The smell of this is gorgeous and for the price it's brilliant...highly recommend :D

Thanks for the review! Very helpful. I was also thinking of getting the all over cover stick. Just wondering if it lasts well through the day? Eyeshadow palette is gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh I defo think I'll be buying some E.L.F stuff when I get paid.

That palette looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Hi all. Hadnt been shopping in ages because of my mocks. Heres what i bought:)
    Maybelline lastind drama gel eyeliner yay an affordable gel eyeliner! This comes with a great little brush that can be thick or thin. There was 2 euro off it in boots so it was 8.99. First thoughts: good pigmentation, glides on easily, nice packaging. The pot is tiny but you dont need much. Very happy because i had wanted gel liner for ages!

Vichy aerateint purefoundation
    Shade is 35 moyen/sand. 30ml. 18euro from unicare pharmacy. I got a sample of this in a magazine and loved it. It comes in formulations for dry/normal skin or combination/oily which is great. The shade is nice, good coverage but not heavy. Its nice for a mid priced foundation, cheaper than mac etc, dearer than maybelline etc. This covers blemishes and redness but gives a natural finish.

If you want pics or more info pm me. I would reccommend these products!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the review! Very helpful. I was also thinking of getting the all over cover stick. Just wondering if it lasts well through the day? Eyeshadow palette is gorgeous!

It lasts fantastic on the cheeks! On the eyes it's best to wear a little bit of primer and for the lips I use a little bit of clear lipgloss :D Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I bought the new Rimmel 25 hour foundation in Boots the other day, as part of a 3 for 2 offer. It was 8.35, I think.

I wanted cheaper make-up for college, so I can save my more expensive stuff for nights out or more special occasions :pac:

For anyone thinking of buying it and familiar with Mac, it's probably worth noting that the Ivory shade isn't as pale / light as NC or NW15 ; It's probably on par with NC20. So, if you're really pale, this foundation might not be light enough for your skin (Story of our lives, right?)

One negative thing about the foundation is that it's pretty hard to blend as it dries on the skin so fast. You literally apply it and it's dry on the spot, which makes blending or trying to remove it difficult.

So, if you are going to buy this, definitely get a brush or sponges so you can apply a little bit at a time and blend well!

I don't think I'd repurchase, based on how I've found it over the past few days, but when it's 8.35, I'm not going to complain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I got the L'Oreal studio secrets primer this weekend and I cant make up my mind about it. I certainly wouldnt wear it every day but it definately made my make up stay on longer, which was great as I was at a chrstening yesterday that started at 1 and ended at 2am!! Not one reapplication and my foundation (that usually requires 2-3 top ups) was close to perfect!
    It is quite heavy on the skin though, and not easily spreadable like the Gosh primer that Im used to. Gosh for every day wear and LOreal for long wear I would say.

LorealStudioSecretsPrimer.jpg

I also got Revlons photo ready foundation-it was about €18 but wowowowow, Ive found a new foundation dream! It slid acrioss my skin, evened it out perfectly and finally a colour perfect for daytime! Seamless. 10/10.

revlon+photo+ready+foundation.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I agree :) Revlon Photoready is my second favorite foundation, I highly recommend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I agree :) Revlon Photoready is my second favorite foundation, I highly recommend :D

Do you know how it compares to the Revlon colorstay? Love that the Photoready has a pump. I'm finding I'm wasting a lot of the colorstay through pouring out too much :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Is it good for paler skin tones? High street make up is always too dark :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Is it good for paler skin tones? High street make up is always too dark :(

I would be a MAC NC20, and I have Photoready in Ivory and it works great.
    I mix it with Nars Sheers Glow for my perfect foundation.

For those asking, Photoready is much lighter than Colourstay. For me, Colourstay is night wear, and Photoready day wear.

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Has anyone any experience with E.L.F brushes?

I'm in desperate need in a bronzer/powder brush.
    I have a few ELF brushes and find the excellent, especially for the price.

Lancôme Le Crayon Khôl - Noir

b_03401w.jpg

I am useless at applying eyeliner, but find this very easy to use and have used it 2--3 times since I got it and each time I got it almost right, but more practice and I should get it (hopefully!).

It's not too black either, gives a nice 'soft' look.

Would buy it again and definitely recommend it.

Lancôme Juicy tube

b_115012.jpg

Not really a fan of this tbh. I find it sticky and heavy on my lips. :(

Wouldn't buy it or recommend it.

Lancôme Bi-Facial make-up remover

b_064033.jpg

The best eye make-up remover I've ever used. Just one swipe and 90% of the make-up comes off. You only need a little so my lil travel size bottle should last ages.

YSL Faux Cils Mascara - Black

3365440375925_SUBLIMEGREY_VOLUMEEFFETFAUXCILSLUXURIOUSMASCARA.JPG?sh=250

Love love love this mascara!!! <3 It doesn't clump or look to dramatic!

Highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

Fiii wrote: »
    For those asking, Photoready is much lighter than Colourstay. For me, Colourstay is night wear, and Photoready day wear.

F
    I'd kinda agree, photoready isn't as heavy at all but it's got almost shimmer in it so doesn't suit day as much. I really like both, photoready for when you want to glow, colorstay when you want a longwearing makeup that will last for hours.
    I happily change between the two on a day to day basis and they are both great. I wear both at night as well and both have lasted nicely, but photoready wouldn't be there when I wake up, not that I'd want it to be.
    Basically, use a tester in the shop, colorstay lasts longer but is heavy. Photoready has a lovely sheen off it, but can make you look shiney on the wrong day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I only used Colorstay a few times, I found it was far too matte on my skin-the Photoready gives more of a dewy finish. Colorstay would have higher coverage aswell I think, I prefer a lighter look. They're fairly different to be honest, so I wouldnt get the Photoready just for the pump if you love the other one...

Shmatter wrote: »
    I'd kinda agree, photoready isn't as heavy at all but it's got almost shimmer in it so doesn't suit day as much. I really like both, photoready for when you want to glow, colorstay when you want a longwearing makeup that will last for hours.
    I happily change between the two on a day to day basis and they are both great. I wear both at night as well and both have lasted nicely, but photoready wouldn't be there when I wake up, not that I'd want it to be.
    Basically, use a tester in the shop, colorstay lasts longer but is heavy. Photoready has a lovely sheen off it, but can make you look shiney on the wrong day.

Yes, very true - it does have a wee touch of shimmer. I never really noticed it too much though.
    Like Azureus, I do like the 'dewy look', but if you are prone to oily skin, or just like things to be a little more matte, I would recommend using a powder to finish the look.
    I got Mac Mineralise Skin Finish Natural not too long ago and I LOVE it! Don't know how I ever managed without it ;) It would be perfect for the likes of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So on foot of this thread I toddled off to the E.L.F. website for the first time
    E.L.F has been hit and miss for me but if anyones planning on buying stuff from their Studio section their Facebook page has been advertising 20% off all day today
    wrote:
    Use code STUDIOSAVE on the 'shopping bag' page before checking out.
    Got an email to say their brushes are back in stock so definitely going to try them. The eye palette looks brilliant and have read nothing but good reviews about it.
    I bought the new Rimmel 25 hour foundation in Boots
    I bought this last week on your rec pikachucheeks.:) Waay to heavy for me tbh, dont like it at all as i tend to take my foundation from day to night with just more bronzer. The consistency is too heavy. Got a free 7 day sample of Lancome Teint Miracle yesterday (free email thing), actually 2 lots cos the girl was so nice in Dundrum. Really liked it, lovely light glowy coverage and would pick it over Rimmel.Its funny, my skin changes all the time so a foundation that looks great one day will look disatrous a few weeks down the line. Will give the 25hr a few more gos before i totally knock it on the head.

Fiii wrote: »
    I would be a MAC NC20, and I have Photoready in Ivory and it works great.
    I mix it with Nars Sheers Glow for my perfect foundation.

F

Ah ok, NC/NW15 was too dark for me. Oh well!

Have you tried Nars Sheer Glow? I bought it in the shade Siberia (it's the palest they have) and it was FAR too pale for me. Fab coverage though and a really nice foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

anniehoo wrote: »
    E.L.F has been hit and miss for me but if anyones planning on buying stuff from their Studio section their Facebook page has been advertising 20% off all day today

Website itself has a 50% discount with NEWSTU for orders of the Studio line over $25 til the 7th.

tomissex wrote: »
    Website itself has a 50% discount with NEWSTU for orders of the Studio line over $25 til the 7th.

That's the US site, you can't deliver off there. eyeslipsface.co.uk is where you gotta go
    Their facebook page has loads of deals, some are only free shipping but if you wait you can get good ones!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Not directly related to the thread, but I'm the same! If you're ever in London, the Mac Pro store sells NC10 and 5, apparently :)
    Some at the Mac counter in BTs told me that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ksliam30

Hi Girls,

I am new to this site and trying to catch up on the last few posts. I have recently come across a professional makeup brand called Nouba by matisse it has the best eyeshadows ihave ever tried as they are strong and bold they also have excellent foundaations especially for the mature skin as they really camouflage the signs of aging including open pores which i have. There really worth a try and the price was really good for the quality i paid €10 for a double bubble eyeshadow of a girl in the Gorey country market however when i looked up the brand online it cost €24. She also does a lipstain in many colors and i also bought one for €10 and it stays on for 6-7 hours without drying the lips thought this was great.

nouba-double-bubble-lidschatten-59.html?___store=english

Anyone else try Nouba products?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

blondiexox wrote: »
    I was in Superdrug yesterday and found a really good dupe for MAC's Club eyeshadow. It's a Makeup Academy or MUA eyeshadow in Shade 12. It's a lovely colour, not like anything else I have. I think MUA is only sold in Superdrug but I'm not 100% sure.

Does anyone know where I might get this in Dublin? I've seen club used in youtube tutorials and I'm a little bit in love with it :o

Ah crap! I just ordered some E.L.F stuff the other day but didn't think about looking for the discount code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭tanya2007

Does anyone know where I might get this in Dublin? I've seen club used in youtube tutorials and I'm a little bit in love with it :o

tallaght is the only superdrug in dublin i think. the MUA lipsticks are so nice and creamy cant go wrong for 1.20 . gossmakeupartist has a vid on youtube about them .

The STUDIOSAVE code isn't working anymore for the E.L.F site.

Has anyone got another one?

Not directly related to the thread, but I'm the same! If you're ever in London, the Mac Pro store sells NC10 and 5, apparently :)
    Some at the Mac counter in BTs told me that.

I like Bobbi Brown skin, the two palest colours are great and not as heavy as Mac :) Thank you though, will check it out when I'm in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

tanya2007 wrote: »
    tallaght is the only superdrug in dublin i think. the MUA lipsticks are so nice and creamy cant go wrong for 1.20 . gossmakeupartist has a vid on youtube about them .

Theres a Superdrug in Omni in Santry if thats any use :)

The STUDIOSAVE code isn't working anymore for the E.L.F site.

Has anyone got another one?

they only vaild for 24hrs or 48 hrs . they will have free shipping at 116,000 likes, watch the facebook fan page for the code :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Damn you all! I have so much stuff sitting in my elf basket! Gonna get one of those O2 prepay cards so I don't have to pester my dad :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

OH MY GOD.. just checked out E.L.F. and the prices!

Are these cosmetics good?? I've a basketful of cosmetics at the mo, but with them prices, why wait! I'd specifically like to know about brush sets!

tatabubbly wrote: »
    OH MY GOD.. just checked out E.L.F. and the prices!

Are these cosmetics good?? I've a basketful of cosmetics at the mo, but with them prices, why wait! I'd specifically like to know about brush sets!

dono about the brush set but i really like the powder brush from the studio range , the eyeshadow & blending brush from 1.50 range .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cicicooly

wow! I loves makeup a lot, This is sound great.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

They're back on debenhams' website. E32.50 including delivery, yay! I was JUST about to give up and pay fifty-something quid on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Thanks Thinspired!
    Just got mine there. And free primer too, woohoo!

I have a few items to add to this thread at the weekend. I've bought a few Elf things because of here as well. Because I'm living in the US, the most expensive thing there is $3. Even if it's awful I can't complain.
    Reviews to come.

Edit: Turns out my order wasn't fulfilled. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cicicooly

I will go to get on my self.:D

Anyone got a link to the Naked eye palette on Debenhams website please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

It's already gone from what I can tell. Aer Lingus are still selling them on flights though as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cw2012

HI I just purchased a bobbi brown shimmer brick in copper diamond (looks cool):cool: from http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fifi-cosmetics/187438807945538. It was great value. Paid €30. Looks like a new company just starting. Limited products and their website doesn't work yet. I emailed them and they said they would post it out to me when it arrives in from the US and would take payment details only when they get the goods themselves. They are irish also which hopefully means postage wont take long when it comes in.
    http://http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fifi-cosmetics/187438807945538

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I bought the naked palette in debenhams Henry st about an hour ago! Going to play around with it this evening and post a proper review later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Got Stila Sheer Color tinted moisturizer for cheap online. Its not very good, very thick and greasy and makes dry skin really obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

<3'ing Chanel pro-lumiére foundation at the moment. Light enough for this time of year but still a decent medium coverage. Sits into my skin nicely, was finding my studio fix fluid was just sitting on my face, looking like a mask. Wouldn't mind but I'd JUST bought a new bottle of studio fix when this started happening :rolleyes:

Naked eye palette is out of stock on the Debenhams website :(

boots-essentials-cucumber-wipes-25-pack-17343305.jpeg
    Excellent wipes, don't irritate the skin at all, they are just as good (if not better) than any other wipes I've used (Johnson's, No.7, Nivea, Simple etc). They aren't expensive (about €2) and you only need one (well I only need one, I guess it depends how much make-up you wear).

article-1227233-0730AD48000005DC-347_148x263.jpg
    IMO, this cleansing is as good as the Clarins cleanser I use. It's gentle on the skin and it's soothing so the skin feels refreshed and cool afterwards. A little goes a long way. Will definitely be sticking to it after my Clarins runs out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

jokettle wrote: »
    I bought the naked palette in debenhams Henry st about an hour ago! Going to play around with it this evening and post a proper review later :)

So I've been messing around with this for a bit (I'm trying to avoid college work today) and I love it! It really does live up to the hype. I was a bit concerned that I'd only be able to use 2-3 shades and the rest would be too dark/glittery/orange for my tastes, but my fears were unfounded :)

The only thing I'll mention is that instead of a double-ended eyeliner, I got a shadow brush. I'm not sure if the first, pre-Christmas versions included the eyeliner as a limited offer or what the story is! I'm not disappointed though, as I've used UD's eyeliners before and found them to be very greasy and don't last long, primer or no primer. Plus, extra make up brushes are always welcome :)

I was trawling youtube for some tutorials on creating different looks with the palette but could only find posts by Americans who have very different skin tones to me; would anyone be able to recommend tutorials by someone with Irish-type skin? And by that I mean transparently pale :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

jokettle wrote: »
    The only thing I'll mention is that instead of a double-ended eyeliner, I got a shadow brush. I'm not sure if the first, pre-Christmas versions included the eyeliner as a limited offer or what the story is! I'm not disappointed though, as I've used UD's eyeliners before and found them to be very greasy and don't last long, primer or no primer. Plus, extra make up brushes are always welcome :)

I ordered mine before christmas and got it just after and I got no eyeliner in mine - no brush either, just a big empty slot at the front. Seeing as you didn't get an eyeliner either I wonder if they're having supply problems or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I was in Limerick recently and after reading this thread I was really curious about MUA stuff so I popped into superdrug and purchased three eyeshadows:

1zfrfig.jpg

Shade 1 (kind of creamy beige), 10 (actually purple, but photographed rather blue) and 11 (this one goes on a lot lighter than it looks, it came out a lovely chocolatey brown for me).
    Anyway, for whatever reason I was only charged 1.05 for each of them, so I figured if they were crap it wouldn't matter, whats 3.15?
    I tried them out last week and I was VERY suprised. They have great colour and last for ages. I actually had a hot yoga class on wednesday night and I was wearing the first and last shades and after an hour of crazy heat and some mad sweating the eyeshadow hadn't even budged, impressive!

l-oreal-extra-volume-plus-collagen-mascara.jpeg

Got this mascara after getting recommendations of it on baords, and am super impressed. If you like this kinda wand then I would say you'll love it

Got the studio secrets primer too, and I HATE IT, can anyone tell me how it's meant to work, cause both days I've worn it, my makeup has not lasted as long as usual, and my face looked awful!

Also got a few rimmel lipsticks and like them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

So in the past week I've got a lot of new make up. Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for my MAC vouchers and thanks to me for treating myself! :D

First up is a custom palatte from MAC featuring carbon, goldmine, woodwinked and amber lights.

I love the gold colours. They look gorgeous on their own and blend together perfectly as well. They black I figured would go with everything and I'd always use it.

I got the Lady Gaga Viva Glam 2 lipglass.
    Love the nude shade! I never wear anything on my lips apart from vaseline of a lipgloss. This goes on nicely and stays a while too. I'll probably by another before they're gone.

I also bought 3 brushes from their to add to my collection.
    I got the 217,224, and 239.

I haven't used these yet but the shadows looked gorgeous when the girl used them and I've read nothing but good on the internet so hope they live up to the hype.

I also have the 187 foundation brush which I love.

After my MAC indulgences I headed over to Sephora for some other must-haves!

I bought Benefit Coralista after so many good reviews.
    I have to say, I love it. The colour is fab and not too strong which I love. Smells yummy too.

I also bought the Urban Decay eye primer to help with my new MAC shadows.
    This does the job perfectly. I used my regular eye shadow combo (Benefit big beautiful eyes palatte) over this last night and the shadows stayed on all night and looked perfect.
    This is a keeper for me.

And now on the complete other end of the budget scale, I purchased a few Elf products after reviews from this thread.

First up is the Studio blush brush.
    I like this. I use it with the coralista and it picks up the blush really well. It's probably not the most amazing blush brush ever, but for $3 I'm happy.

I bought their gloss in buublegum and this one in pink kiss.

Not the best in the world but at $1 each I'll use them during the day or something.

I also bought the eyebrow kit but haven't used it yet.

Last up is Covergirl mascara but I haven't used this either as I'm still using Maybellines mascara.

Now, all I need to do is get my hands on Urban Decays naked palatte and I'll be happy!

I also need a new powder for setting my foundation if anyone has any recommendations.

And for anyone interested, my colouring is pale-medium toned, blue eyes and brown hair with blond highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

From ELFs facebook page
    wrote:
    FREE SHIPPING on eyeslipsface.co.uk until 12noon (UK time) 8 March 2011. Use codes ELFSPRINGUK (UK) or ELFSPRINGEU (EU) at checkout. Minimum order of £10 applies. Please select shipping options before adding the code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lieenie

Off-Topic maybe; but has any recently been able to buy the Urban Decay Naked Palette?

I just got my UD Naked Palette in the post to-day from debenhams.ie (Ordered Friday night) €32.40 with free delivery. It's different from the before Christmas one (you get a shadow brush instead of eye liners)

• Advertisement
Advertisement