Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day..was it???Ladies

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The tone of what you posted below indicates that you think he's neglecting you and you will reciprocate in kind.
    Anyway I'm over it, still haven't seen him and to be honest I think I'm just going to start being as casual about things as he is.

Now, I may have read this incorrectly, you may have meant that you were going to calm down over such non-issues as receiving a VD text. Did you mean this?

As for being patronising and condescending in my last post, did you discuss VD with your boyfriend at any point? Did you tell him what you wanted him to do? Or did you make an assumption and then get annoyed about him not knowing exactly what you expected, i.e. get annoyed about him not being psychic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mysterymeme123

yeah you misread the post I should have put in a few LOLs :)

Seriously though where is this psychic thing coming from. Yes we had discussed it I said that there was no need to go out because of work so he was more than aware it was Valentines.Did all the other girlfriends who got a kiss or a card say to their boyfriends Oh Get me a card and a kiss for Thursday? Surely it is perfectly reasonable to expect at least the acknowledgment that it s Valentines? ( not speaking specifically here but generally)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Tbh it's never reasonable to expect anything in life. And the sooner you learn not to expect anything the happier you'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

yeah you misread the post I should have put in a few LOLs :)

Seriously though where is this psychic thing coming from. Yes we had discussed it I said that there was no need to go out because of work so he was more than aware it was Valentines.Did all the other girlfriends who got a kiss or a card say to their boyfriends Oh Get me a card and a kiss for Thursday? Surely it is perfectly reasonable to expect at least the acknowledgment that it s Valentines? ( not speaking specifically here but generally)

It is and it isn't. It dependson the fella. I know my bf has absolutely no mass in it and probably would never txt me wishing me happy valentines day unless i txt him first.
    We're together a few years and had a big fight around the 3rd year we were going out because he didn't bother to get me a card or anything. We've never done anything besides go for a few drinks on valentines but as they say it's the thought that counts and i would have appreciated a card. This year he surprised me with a gorgeous present that I really wasn't expecting. You can't expect your bf to be a mind reader and you certainly shouldn't expect him to txt you when you never txt him. I know a lot of girls (including myself) like surprises on these kind of occassion but it's not always going to happen. You should tell him you were disappointed. Don't keep things to yourself.

lol but sure i'm over it now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

lol but sure i'm over it now though.

until next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Ok so everyone taking the cool cynical attitude to VD, you know you can show appreciation all year round but make sure one time falls on VD.

How would you feel if you didn't get a birthday or a Christmas gesture....

scoot on wrote: »
    until next year...

:D exaaaaaactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Prolly read this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Lola123 wrote: »
    Have to say OP, I'd be pretty p1ssed off too. He could have at the very least said happy valentines day!
    I don't buy into all that cr@p about it being an overinflated holiday or whatever. It's a day to show the person you're with that you care about them, whats wrong with that?
    And I know other posters have said "well you didn't say it to him", but lets face it, on valentines day at least 80% of the female population would like some sort of romantic gesture without having to suggest it themselves!
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't buy into all that cr@p about it being an overinflated holiday or whatever. It's a day to show the person you're with that you care about them, whats wrong with that?

What I think is wrong with Valentines day is the fact that it is a "holiday" which isolates a good chunk of the population and can make them feel utterly crap. It isn't similar to a birthday as everyone gets one. It isn't similar to Christmas as most people celebrate it or a religious equivalent like Hanukkah or Diwalhi. It is a holiday that you only get to celebrate if you are in a loving relationship and if you aren't in a loving relationship you get to watch everybody who is act like a smug twat.

And lets be honest most people prefer to be in a loving relationship to being single so not only do single people get to not be in love but they get to feel inadequate too.

:eek: to be honest I think the card and the dinner was plenty , more then enough and very sweet. If she wants pressies and treats then she needs a sugar daddy or a pimp not a gentlemanly boyfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

walzer wrote: »
    I'm in a fairly new relationship, and I'm afraid that VDday may have wrecked it.

We've been seeing each other regularly for about 3 months now, and she doesn't like to meet during the week. So I took her out for a meal for last night, Friday. I also secretly delivered a VDday card for her to get on the morning of the 14th.

I thought that might be enough, but I got a pretty cool reception at the meal. It was all cordial, but there were things she said that suggested our relationship might not be that serious at all. She talks a lot about presents that other people have got her in the past, and she hinted at the fact she got no flowers on the day.

I feel terrible today, but am very nervous about contacting her. I thought a meal and a card would be enough, and I thought having the meal on the 15th would be better (less crowds, and it's a weekend night). But I get the impression she was seriously disappointed. I wonder should I try talking to her about it, or just leave it and hope she gets over it?

I really think V Day can produce such pressure and expectations that it can be damaging to relationships as much as helping them.

If she is not happy with a card and a night out for VD then she is high-maintenance.... I would ask her out straight. You are at the nstart of a relationhip, if she is going to be demanding then you are better off knowing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

walzer wrote: »
    I really think V Day can produce such pressure and expectations that it can be damaging to relationships as much as helping them.
    Does it really count as "damaging to relationships" if you're going out with a 4 year old spoilt brat in the body of an adult and this becomes obvious on February 14th? Maybe "rescuing an individual" is a better description.

BTW, 15th Feb is the best guess for the original Roman festival that St. Valentines replaced, do you didn't really get the date wrong by waiting for the next evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I thought she would have dound the funny side of it too. I laughed but then had to explain myself. Making me think different about her to be honest.

I enjoyed that story, it made me wonder what happened to Susans flowers. And also, your girlfriend is silly. Same as the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I got my girlfriend nothing for Valentines, she got me nothing and we definitely didn't send each other Valentines texts. But from the minute I woke in the mroning till I went to sleep at night I loved her all day long with all my heart and every ounce of my body. I thought about her a lot in work, went training after work, so did she and then we sat down on the couch for a half hour before bed, I put my arm around her and we had a laugh watching crap on TV. Last year I might have got her something, and maybe next year I will. And maybe in 2 weeks if I see something she likes I'll get it for her. But I'm not going to just get her something because it's Feb 14th - that's not love. Love is still having a laugh watching crap TV after 11 years. She's away on her hen weekend:D, and the telly is really crap, went to the cinema instead. Reinforces the fact that it's her that makes watching the TV good, not the crap TV...My point is love should be about happiness, not wanting gifts or 'the thought' as in 'it's the thought that counts'. I'd say a lot of fellows got flowers, or presents for their old dolls on Feb 14th but maybe it's just papering over the cracks, do they enjoy each other's company - do they make each other happy?

I used to work with a girl whose hubby sends a huge bouquet of flowers to the work every birthday, special occasion, anniversary etc. (I'd say once a month). Always the same flowers, from the same shop - I'd say he has a direct debit set up at this stage and they know all the dates. All the other girls in work were so jealous. But whenever he phoned work and she answered she'd say 'Who's this?' Like she didn't even know him from 'Hello'!! !- a real functional 2.4children marriage between 2 successful poeple, with both of them doing the right things as expected by society and outwardly very happy, but I imagine them trying so hard trying not to let their minds think about whether they're actually happy or not. Work hard to keep themselves too busy to think about these things...

Don't fall inot that lonely trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dublinlawyer

But from the minute I woke in the mroning till I went to sleep at night I loved her all day long with all my heart and every ounce of my body. ... I put my arm around her and we had a laugh watching crap on TV. Last year I might have got her something, and maybe next year I will. And maybe in 2 weeks if I see something she likes I'll get it for her. But I'm not going to just get her something because it's Feb 14th - that's not love. Love is still having a laugh watching crap TV after 11 years. She's away on her hen weekend:D, and the telly is really crap, went to the cinema instead. Reinforces the fact that it's her that makes watching the TV good, not the crap TV...My point is love should be about happiness, not wanting gifts or 'the thought' as in 'it's the thought that counts'. I'd say a lot of fellows got flowers, or presents for their old dolls on Feb 14th but maybe it's just papering over the cracks, do they enjoy each other's company - do they make each other happy?
    Go on..Admit it...You were too mean to buy a card... lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Go on..Admit it...You were too mean to buy a card... lol..

missed the point buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A woman may view Valentines day as a metre of how the man she's with will behave in the future. The question is what standards she is expecting.

Some reject the day or prefer an equal relationship and will either ignore it or reciprocate with tokens of affections to their man. Others feel it is a day they should to some degree or other be romanced and pampered. Others again treat it as a second birthday, without the being a year older bit, and expect to be wined, dined and generally showered with generosity.

As for men the reaction of their women is just as telling for us.

My own view is that in this modern age where men and women are supposedly equal, while a token of affection follow the spirit of the tradition, the expectations of generosity by some are reminiscent of the adverts that prostitutes place seeking "generous men".

In short women who expect too much of the day are to be avoided as much as those men who expect too little.

Advertisement