Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7-N18 Limerick South Ring Road thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I think some improvements need to be made now to the bypass

Firstly the M20 ramp (J30) from the M7 southbound should really be two lanes. We have dead motorways in the middle of the country with two lanes splitting off. This road has nearly 45-50k cars a day. Every morning and evening cars breaking and weaving all over the place to get off at this junction.

I've said this often, and also it needs to be extended as an auxilliary lane as far as J2 Dooradoyle. Whilst the slip can be taken at 100km/h and for that reason there's no need for a massive long merge, some people slow right down to take it and cause a hazard, and a large amount of people just get back off at J2, they have to merge onto the M20 mainline for about 200m and then leave again .

Secondly and probably more importantly, N18 J2 has been a nightmare from the get go. Since its become absolute mayhem at peak time, I think they need to make a freeflow slip outbound done as the dumbell is jammed.

Ridiculous that there's no freeflow slip from Dock Rd outbound -> N18E. Plenty of space for it, the onramp is already 2 lanes so not an issue. Would solve major problems with the Dock Rd outbound, which jams some days most of the way back to the Shannon Bridge Roundabout.
    Oddly enough I think M7 J29 is pretty good now considering 20k cars a day come in from the N24 it functions pretty well

I have to applaud the junction designers here. Having 2 lanes from M7E -> N24 prevents congestion there. Giving extended right filter turns from R527 -> M7W helps there, and the 2 lanes each way on the N24 stop long queues forming. Overall, the junction which previously was a major mess now rarely has delays of more than a minute, which given the circumstances is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

James Collins had up on facebook there about "fixing" that M20/M7/N18 junction to allow traffic into the city from M20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    James Collins had up on facebook there about "fixing" that M20/M7/N18 junction to allow traffic into the city from M20

He had this article from the Limerick Leader. I think opening this junction into Roxboro would be a terrible idea. That road ends in a T junction and there would be huge tailbacks onto the M20 as there used to be before the current junction was built. Its also a residential area and motorway traffic heading into the city center shouldn't be routed through such an area.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He had this article from the Limerick Leader. I think opening this junction into Roxboro would be a terrible idea. That road ends in a T junction and there would be huge tailbacks onto the M20 as there used to be before the current junction was built. Its also a residential area and motorway traffic heading into the city center shouldn't be routed through such an area.
    Existing traffic going towards the city/Childers Road either uses the old N20/R526 or the Rossbrien Road. Both, especially the latter go through residential areas, and the Rossbrien road is not capable of being a city centre access route from a motorway. There are no houses fronting onto that link road between the M20 and the Childers Road and to my knowledge there are few if any houses along the Childers Rd.

marno21 wrote: »
    Existing traffic going towards the city/Childers Road either uses the old N20/R526 or the Rossbrien Road. Both, especially the latter go through residential areas, and the Rossbrien road is not capable of being a city centre access route from a motorway. There are no houses fronting onto that link road between the M20 and the Childers Road and to my knowledge there are few if any houses along the Childers Rd.

Janesboro and Rathbane, both large housing estates facing onto Childers Rd., are 100m from the junction as is Janesboro primary school and Le Cheile national school is about 500m in the other direction. Traffic is already chaotic at the Roxboro Rd roundabout during the morning and evening rush hours. This area sinply couldn't handle the extra traffic that would be created.

Just because Rosbrien can't handle the current traffic doesn't mean that this area can.

• Advertisement

Janesboro and Rathbane, both large housing estates facing onto Childers Rd., are 100m from the junction as is Janesboro primary school and Le Cheile national school is about 500m in the other direction. Traffic is already chaotic at the Roxboro Rd roundabout during the morning and evening rush hours. This area sinply couldn't handle the extra traffic that would be created.

Just because Rosbrien can't handle the current traffic doesn't mean that this area can.

Yeah but the childers road would be more accomodating to that traffic than the Rosbrien rd. If the road was opened up, some would still go via the rosbrien road and some would also take the new road. It would divide it up tbh! Traffic is back up well past the railway tracks on the rosbrien road in the morning. Thats hardly ideal is it, wouldnt it better if traffic was split between the two areas

Yeah but the childers road would be more accomodating to that traffic than the Rosbrien rd. If the road was opened up, some would still go via the rosbrien road and some would also take the new road. It would divide it up tbh! Traffic is back up well past the railway tracks on the rosbrien road in the morning. Thats hardly ideal is it, wouldnt it better if traffic was split between the two areas

Before the current setup opened traffic used to back up to J2 on the M20. If the junction couldn't handle the traffic 10 years ago, it can't handle it now. Having motorway traffic exit at a T junction is something that simply shouldn't happen.

Before the current setup opened traffic used to back up to J2 on the M20. If the junction couldn't handle the traffic 10 years ago, it can't handle it now. Having motorway traffic exit at a T junction is something that simply shouldn't happen.

Is this before the N7 Southern Ring was opened in 2004?

Even if it was after 2004, the traffic either had an option of going east on the N7 or in via the Childers Rd. Traffic now has the option of going west on the N18 to access the Dock Rd and also use the tunnel. Traffic can also now access UL via the Groody Rd/L5173 via the Ballysimon Interchange, so less people would use the Childers Rd access to get to UL/Castletroy.

I just think the benefits would certainly outweigh the cons, even in off peak times it would be a blessing to have that entry/exit point.

Is this before the N7 Southern Ring was opened in 2004?

Even if it was after 2004, the traffic either had an option of going east on the N7 or in via the Childers Rd. Traffic now has the option of going west on the N18 to access the Dock Rd and also use the tunnel. Traffic can also now access UL via the Groody Rd/L5173 via the Ballysimon Interchange, so less people would use the Childers Rd access to get to UL/Castletroy.

No, before the tunnel opened. I know because I used to be caught in it most evenings between 2006 and 2010. N18 bound traffic back then was directed to leave the N20 at J3 and head towards the dock road.

• Advertisement

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2017/2017NAT_LimerickCityandCoCo.pdf

TII has allocated €30k for a "Feasability Study" for Junction 28 on the M7. Possibly seeing some kind of upgrade down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2017/2017NAT_LimerickCityandCoCo.pdf

TII has allocated €30k for a "Feasability Study" for Junction 28 on the M7. Possibly seeing some kind of upgrade down the line.

They should really get that J30 ramp sorted

Yeah J30 needs it more than J28. If they could have a lane from J30 to J2 for traffic heading to Dooradoyle, it would be brilliant. The current system is a joke. as it's near impossible to get off the J30 slip road to get on the motorway to get back off at J2 sometimes.

For the Limerick bound M20 traffic, I think they could put a lane onto the M7 on ramp that would join up at the roundabout.
    For the traffic already on the M7 - you'd have to move some of the lanes around to fit in an off ramp for a city exit while also being mindful of the city on-ramp.

Yeah J30 needs it more than J28. If they could have a lane from J30 to J2 for traffic heading to Dooradoyle, it would be brilliant. The current system is a joke. as it's near impossible to get off the J30 slip road to get on the motorway to get back off at J2 sometimes.

For the Limerick bound M20 traffic, I think they could put a lane onto the M7 on ramp that would join up at the roundabout.
    For the traffic already on the M7 - you'd have to move some of the lanes around to fit in an off ramp for a city exit while also being mindful of the city on-ramp.
    I think it's more important to provide access to M20 traffic than M7 traffic. M7 traffic can access the city via J28 and J29, whereas M20 traffic can only use the same road (R526) via J3/J2 (J2 which requries going through Dooradoyle first).

Jan O'Sullivan wants to reduce the speed limits around the Limerick SRR junctions (Finnegans, Ballysimon & Rossbrien).

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-05-02a.3528

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Always wondered about the toll here...

Why is the Clonmacken exit given its own toll plaza? Why not just catch the traffic a little closer to the tunnel itself?

Always wondered about the toll here...

Why is the Clonmacken exit given its own toll plaza? Why not just catch the traffic a little closer to the tunnel itself?

How? The Clonmacken exit is only about 400m from the mouth of the tunnel and around 200m from the end of the cutting. And the on ramp on the other side ends as the cutting starts. There isn't room for a toll plaza there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

50 thousand allocated in the new capital plan to the council for
    'M7 Junction 28 Feasibility Study (Minor 2016)'
    Has anyone any insight into this?

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2018/2018NAT_LimerickCityandCoCo.pdf

pigtown wrote: »
    50 thousand allocated in the new capital plan to the council for
    'M7 Junction 28 Feasibility Study (Minor 2016)'
    Has anyone any insight into this?

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2018/2018NAT_LimerickCityandCoCo.pdf

Got a 30k allocation last year - haven't seen anything on it since

Some bill - I'm not sure how to entice more drivers to use the tunnel other than lowering the price maybe for tag users like they have on the M50.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tds-blast-200m-cost-of-limerick-tunnel-468626.html

And to think they're building the northern distributor road which will no doubt take traffic away from the tunnel I would imagine

• Advertisement
Advertisement