Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely Devastated with today

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    hey guys.
    After much crying and tearing my hair out, ive decided to repeat.
    Thanks for all yer advice. Really appreciated it. :)
    Hopefully, ill get nursing this time....
    And ill also consider the uk.
    Thanks again!

Best of luck.

Im glad you came to a decision anyway, no regrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hey.
    I was looking over my old subscriptions, clearing out etc..
    And I came across this. At this stage, everyone would be right in saying I am a crier cause I just had an aul sob ! :rolleyes:
    I finished my exams with Agricultural Science last week. Im happy I repeated but Its not only down to academics. I have met the most amazing people... Amazing friends and myself. Ive had a boost of confidence and loved every second of it.
    As for exams, I think I will always naturally be a crammer.
    I think Ive done enough to achieve 350-370? Hopefully Arts in UCC. I decided Nursing is a distant dream but Arts with English will be the glove for me. I'm a writer. Always will be.
    So, whether its Arts or government, Im going to follow my talent I think. I like school and writing, so perhaps the teaching/journalism route is for me:)

This year has given me insight, maturity, I've walked away from negativity (finally), I have gained and lost grades, but more importantly, Ive taking a small step into a bigger versatile world.

Repeating benefited me. And I am so happy I did it.
    Now hopefully I get what I want

Thanks again to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 se bear

well done
    a brave decision to repeat and im glad its benifited you, i wouldnt say nursing is a distant dream never to old to retrain and im sure you'll relaise that once you head to college and see all the mature students. hope you get what you want come results day.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I've been reading posts from you over the past while and also just read through this entire thread. (I'd never seen it before) It must be devastating not getting what you want in the Leaving Cert but I bet you'll do brilliantly this time.

All of my family/friends are expecting me to get 500+ and I really don't know if it's going to happen. I might be asking for your advice come Agust 17th :cool: Anyway I bet you'll do really great this time around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Hey.
    And I came across this. At this stage, everyone would be right in saying I am a crier cause I just had an aul sob ! :rolleyes:
    I finished my exams with Agricultural Science last week. Im happy I repeated but Its not only down to academics. I have met the most amazing people... Amazing friends and myself. Ive had a boost of confidence and loved every second of it.
    I think Ive done enough to achieve 350-370? Hopefully Arts in UCC. I decided Nursing is a distant dream but Arts with English will be the glove for me. I'm a writer. Always will be.
    So, whether its Arts or government, Im going to follow my talent I think. I like school and writing, so perhaps the teaching/journalism route is for me:)

This year has given me insight, maturity, I've walked away from negativity (finally), I have gained and lost grades, but more importantly, Ive taking a small step into a bigger versatile world.

Repeating benefited me. And I am so happy I did it.
    Now hopefully I get what I want

Thanks again to everyone.

wait, so you didn't bother to study properly again this year? i hope you get the course you want, but honestly don't be so melodramatic when you were given a second chance and seemingly put little effort into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

hi i just did the junior cert and thought the results for both jc nd lc come out next september but loads of you are saying how many points you got?! and approx how many of u repeat nd is lc way harder than jc??:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bb1234567 wrote: »
    hi i just did the junior cert and thought the results for both jc nd lc come out next september but loads of you are saying how many points you got?! and approx how many of u repeat nd is lc way harder than jc??:)

Less of the txt spk here please.

The Leaving Cert. results will be out 17th August, then the Junior about a month later.

Leaving Cert. is a very different exam compared to Junior Cert.. The marking is a lot more strict. The standard is much higher.

I don't know how many people repeat. Very many people have unrealistic expectations of how they will do, and others fall into the trap of 'I didn't do any work for the Junior and I was grand'. That will not work at Leaving, no matter how many spoofers you get on boards saying they 'did nothing'.

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    wait, so you didn't bother to study properly again this year? i hope you get the course you want, but honestly don't be so melodramatic when you were given a second chance and seemingly put little effort into it

I did study alot this year, but I always panic and am a very stressed person. In May, I felt I had nothing done. Despite studying.... so crammed and crammed. I still got stress attacks I got last year... And at the end of May, I was crying like everyday and writing reams and reams of irrelevent information, and staying up all night. And tried learning stuff I didnt understand from scratch in a panic!
    I did study. But always feel Ive never enough detail done....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Its very hard to study,especially when your NOT REALLY interested in it your just doing it for school....

When its over though and you see the GOOD GRADE,it makes one happy :)

spurious wrote: »

Very many people have unrealistic expectations of how they will do

^This^

My mam put the idea of nursing into my head. And it grew on me.
    A part of me would suit it very well. I love people and helping and can be logical.
    But writing is my talent. I love writing and history also.
    But honestly, perhaps Arts is the course for me. And I hate the stigma of points etc and thats what I got caught up in! Now, after putting a year of my life on hold, I really dont care. I just want to do what I love! Write!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

So the long wait for the results begins.
    I like the way we get them around the time I have my birthday. Not.

Good luck, and que sera sera <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Hey.

I'll more than likely be seeing you there!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

others fall into the trap of 'I didn't do any work for the Junior and I was grand'.

Omg that was me last year! Get out of my head :O :P so glad I repeated though, best of luck lc2010his :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Leaving Cert. is a very different exam compared to Junior Cert.. The marking is a lot more strict. The standard is much higher.

I don't know how many people repeat. Very many people have unrealistic expectations of how they will do, and others fall into the trap of 'I didn't do any work for the Junior and I was grand'. That will not work at Leaving, no matter how many spoofers you get on boards saying they 'did nothing'.

Are you serious? I genuinely did NOTHING for the JC, I mean I barely did my homework and rote learned nothing at all. Studied the night before for maths, Irish and a couple of the others and got no grinds or extra help.
    I ended up getting 6 A's and 4 B's, but was VERY surprised with that,I was expecing 2/3 A's at most, was expecting mainly C's and a couple of D's.

For the LC I did a bit more than for the JC and my mock results were fine. I'd be happy with 20/30 points more in the LC but you're really scaring me now! Is the marking a lot stricter?! :eek:

Uh oh... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Doing 'nothing' for the JC and doing 'nothing' for the LC seem to be entirely different concepts.

I did nothing for the JC, and by that I mean literally didnt do homework etc
    I did nothing for my mocks, by LC standards ie did my homework and not much else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AdamD wrote: »
    Doing 'nothing' for the JC and doing 'nothing' for the LC seem to be entirely different concepts.

I did nothing for the JC, and by that I mean literally didnt do homework etc
    I did nothing for my mocks, by LC standards ie did my homework and not much else.

Exactly - you will not do well in the LC 'doing nothing' at all.
    Some people can do well just keeping up with homework, if they are the sort of person who listened and can recall most of what was done in class.

The vast majority of the 'oh I did nothing' gang are literate, motivated and positive about their education.

Telling someone who struggled with JC that they can 'do nothing' and get whatever they want in LC is disingenuous and quite insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Reading this thread is making me scared.

aramush wrote: »
    Reading this thread is making me scared.

Yeah I started reading it the other day and I had to stop...I was getting too worked up thinking I might have done far worse than I thought...avoid is all I can say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Exactly - you will not do well in the LC 'doing nothing' at all.
    Some people can do well just keeping up with homework, if they are the sort of person who listened and can recall most of what was done in class.

The vast majority of the 'oh I did nothing' gang are literate, motivated and positive about their education.

Telling someone who struggled with JC that they can 'do nothing' and get whatever they want in LC is disingenuous and quite insulting.

It depends on the person, really. I had hopes on achieving 500+ for the Leaving, now I expect about 485-495 (not far off, though). I did very, very little work for it - no study whatsoever before June (I mean none). The exams are made for the masses, and thus for those who are more intelligent than the average person are quite easy. They are also getting easier and easier every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Gumbi wrote: »
    It depends on the person, really. I had hopes on achieving 500+ for the Leaving, now I expect about 485-495 (not far off, though). I did very, very little work for it - no study whatsoever before June (I mean none). The exams are made for the masses, and thus for those who are more intelligent than the average person are quite easy. They are also getting easier and easier every year.

Hmmm you might surprise me but I doubt you are being truthful. If you actually done nothing, please come back here in August and let us know how you actually done..

If you done no study and get 495 I will wish you well

• Advertisement

Depends on what you mean by "none."

If someone swore blind that they never did their homework, never even looked at a textbook, and got 495 points, no offense, but I couldn't believe them. It's not possible in an exam geared towards rote learning.

Personally, I didn't do a lot in 6th year, but I studied all through 5th year, always did my homework, and listened in class. I did major cramming for the last 8 weeks, but I would never go around saying I did "nothing." I didn't do enough, and if i do get my 500 points, I've no doubt it'd be by some fluke, because I don't really deserve them.

I learned to blank out the people saying they were doing "nothing at all" because mostly, it's not true.

495...without study.....?

Yeah, "ok" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭All about Eve

You shouldnt be embarrassed, be proud you tried your best.
    Give yourself some slack here, there is so much more to life than the leaving cert. ANd with 320 points you must have passed it?
    My advice is to repeat and knuckle down and study hard., you will be one step ahead of everyone else cos you know what to expect and how much study is required.
    Enjoy the summer now and just repeat . Theres no jobs out there at the moment so your in no rush.
    Dont worry too much in years from now the drama your feeling now will seem very minor.
    Theres no shame in repeating . hope all goes well.:)

You shouldnt be embarrassed, be proud you tried your best.
    Give yourself some slack here, there is so much more to life than the leaving cert. ANd with 320 points you must have passed it?
    My advice is to repeat and knuckle down and study hard., you will be one step ahead of everyone else cos you know what to expect and how much study is required.
    Enjoy the summer now and just repeat . Theres no jobs out there at the moment so your in no rush.
    Dont worry too much in years from now the drama your feeling now will seem very minor.
    Theres no shame in repeating . hope all goes well.:)

Hey this thread is from last year :) I did repeat. Awaiting results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

yungwan wrote: »
    Hmmm you might surprise me but I doubt you are being truthful. If you actually done nothing, please come back here in August and let us know how you actually done..

If you done no study and get 495 I will wish you well

I'd say study apart from homework averaged out at 3 hours per subject in the 2 moths before the LC. Sure I'll let you know how I did, if I remember. I'd be very surprised if I got less than 480 to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hey this thread is from last year :) I did repeat. Awaiting results :D
    Indeed.

And the best of luck! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement