Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 2015 release date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

madmoe wrote:
    If the 6P is bought in the USA and brought back here will it work OK lads? There is only one version of the phone i.e. one bought here and one bought in the USA are exactly the same!?

I'm interested in this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

madmoe wrote: »
    If the 6P is bought in the USA and brought back here will it work OK lads? There is only one version of the phone i.e. one bought here and one bought in the USA are exactly the same!?

Cheers,
    M

Bought an nexus 6 off eBay last week new and sealed in box for €389 did a good bit of research there's two versions an international my one and one for the USA xt1103 which had a different bands for the 4g network the us version won't work on some 4g networks here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I see no mention of Qi wireless charging in the 5x specs, has that been dropped? Hope not, it's really handy.

EDIT: It appears it doesn't have it, nor does the 6P. Tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The Paddy Tax on these is insane. The lowest model is €143 more expensive than in the US.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jayop wrote: »
    The Paddy Tax on these is insane. The lowest model is €143 more expensive than in the US.

Once you take into account VAT it's not that bad but it's still about 60 euro on the base model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Once you take into account VAT it's not that bad but it's still about 60 euro on the base model.

Don't they pay sales tax over there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

They do but I'm pretty sure they'll pay it on top of the advertised price as each state was a different rate.

The US price converted to Euro + 23% is €414. Still a lot less than €479

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some states do, some don't. The rate is usually a lot less than here though. Their prices are before sales tax is added on whereas our prices have VAT included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Ugh.

Have to say, this is really underwhelming. Price tag and specs not doing it for me.

In addition, not yet available in the Swiss play store. Think I might just get a Galaxy S5. Had my Nexus 4 for three years :o

Would be tempted by the 6 but.....meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nexus program should be done away with at this stage. No need for it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

No LED notification light!! WTF?

I'm keeping the N5 till it dies (or put a replacement battery in it). Nothing in the new one to make me want it, especially not at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Absolutely shocked at the price difference. I was considering an upgrade if it came in at the sub-400 euro mark. That's just taking the piss. Though the UK price starts at £339 and works out cheaper than ours, but not by enough. I'll hold onto my Nexus 4 for a while and upgrade to Marshmallow though CyanogenMod or something else.

For anyone interested, copied from the US and Irish Google Stores:
    US
    GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
    CDMA: BC0/1/10
    LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/20/25/26/29
    LTE (TDD): B41
    LTE CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B7, B4-B12, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

IE
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/6/8/9/19
    CDMA: not supported
    LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/17/18/19/20/26/28
    LTE (TDD): B38/40/41
    LTE CA DL: B1-B3, B1-B5, B1-B7, B1-B8, B1-B18, B1-B19, B1-B26, B3-B3, B3-B5, B3-B7, B3-B8, B3-B19, B3-B20, B3-B28, B5-B7, B7-B7, B7-B20, B7-B28, B40-B40, B41-B41.
    US
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
    CDMA: BC0/1/10
    LTE (FDD): B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30
    LTE (TDD): B41
    CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

IE
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/6/8/9/19
    TD-SCDMA: 34/39
    CDMA: BC0/1
    LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/17/19/20/28
    LTE (TDD): B38/B39/40/41
    CA DL: B1-B5, B1-B8, B1-B19, B3-B3, B3-B5, B3-B7, B3-B8, B3-B19, B3-B20, B3-B28, B5-B7, B7-B7, B7-B20, B7-B28, B39-B39, B40-B40, B41-B41

So it would seem that LTE/4G Bands 3 and 20, used here, are covered on the US version of the 5X and just Band 3 on the US version of the 6P.

Shipping from the US seems to be cheapest with this crowd (I calculated about $26 for 1kg to Ireland):
    https://www.viabox.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

DECEiFER wrote: »
    For anyone interested, copied from the US and Irish Google Stores:

So it would seem that LTE/4G Bands 3 and 20, used here, are covered on the US version of the 5X and just Band 3 on the US version of the 6P.

Shipping from the US seems to be cheapest with this crowd (I calculated about $26 for 1kg to Ireland):
    https://www.viabox.com

So would one be fairly safe to get it in the US and it would work OK here on LTE!?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So would one be fairly safe to get it in the US and it would work OK here on LTE!?

Thanks,
    M

how would one get one in the us though?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,694 ✭✭✭✭listermint

irishgeo wrote: »
    how would one get one in the us though?

By people bringing it back for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The price is the killer for me. I'll be in the states at the end of the month and would buy one if they could be bought in stores but they can't so I'll sit this one out until prices start to drop in Ireland.

Ush1 wrote: »
    The price is the killer for me. I'll be in the states at the end of the month and would buy one if they could be bought in stores but they can't so I'll sit this one out until prices start to drop in Ireland.

Where are you staying in the US? Can you not order it and get it delivered to your hotel or where you are staying? Or maybe it won't be available before you come back?

Cheers,
    M

The problem is if you get the 6P, it's not going to use Band 20 over here and I don't know to what extent that is used vs. Band 3, only that some networks use both and others use one or the other. The 5X seems to handle both.

You can check this but I don't know how accurate it is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks_in_Europe

Also, don't forget the possibility of customs, and if you're using Viabox, you should contact them to say how they mark items for shipping, etc. It's always a risk but it's still an option.

Lastly, warranty. It'd be a US warranty but there has to be some sort of way to make use of it over here. Say an American living in the US now moves to Ireland early next year, before the one year is up... Aren't our warranties two years? I seem to remember the Nexus 4 being two years vs. one year in the US, or am I mistaken? I honestly don't know for sure, but these are all things to bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Where are you staying in the US? Can you not order it and get it delivered to your hotel or where you are staying? Or maybe it won't be available before you come back?

Cheers,
    M

I'll be in Boston. My fear would be any delays in the order or anything and I would be screwed.

It's a shared hostel type accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,694 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'll be in Boston. My fear would be any delays in the order or anything and I would be screwed.

It's a shared hostel type accommodation.

No buddies over there ? or any sister offices for example from work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Cant see a whole lot of people paying €479 for 5X...shame really been looking forward to this..

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Zipppy wrote: »
    Cant see a whole lot of people paying €479 for 5X...shame really been looking forward to this..

i did. it was painful though. (cant even remotely imagine how it feels when you're a yearly 1000€ iphone upgrader) especially considering you have to get the usbc-usba cable separately.

this will have to last 4 years for me now. this is what my nexus s nearly did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'll buy one too when its time to switch over, its a tad bit more expensive than I was hoping but I like it and it will suit my needs, I may also be able to get it in America.

I'll buy one too when its time to switch over, its a tad bit more expensive than I was hoping but I like it and it will suit my needs, I may also be able to get it in America.

I want to buy one in America but I want to be sure it will work (6P) with Vodafone LTE here first!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

How would this compare to the one plus one? Would it be a massive step up? Not at all? The smaller size and pure Android a the main selling points for me and I quite like the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Available for pre-order in Carphonewarehouse UK. Cheaper than Irish playstore!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

just got an email from google store that my order has shipped.... the order for the usb-c to usb-a cable :D -.-'

• Advertisement

murfilein wrote: »
    just got an email from google store that my order has shipped.... the order for the usb-c to usb-a cable :D -.-'

Can I ask why you needed to order a separate cable mate? Is it to allow you to connect the phone to a PC I wonder!? ;-)

Advertisement