Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The OnePlus 2 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

awec wrote: »
    Yea but that's because it hasn't really been widely adopted yet here in Ireland.

People without an NFC phone will not be able to use Android Pay once Google start rolling it out.

Contactless payment is supported in plenty of places, anywhere you can use the nfc debit cards. All that is needed to get that to work on your phone is an app from your payment provider (like VISA / Mastercard).

Im all for this, But having seen how slow the roll out is globally i just dont see this being adopted seriously here in ireland by either Android pay or payment processors.

There in lies why im sceptical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Funny how they say they are listening to what we want when it also makes it cheaper for them to produce the phone. Think we also wanted wireless charging with the OPO and that hasnt happened yet.

It's less of a flagship killer than the OPO was last year.

They could have saved money (and hassle) by going with the Snapdragon 620 which is comparable to the 810 in real world usage.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the release of Apply Pay is going to speed that rollout up.

Also, providing a fingerprint scanner but no NFC is just odd.

Anyway, other than the NFC the phone looks great. Love the bamboo cover, definitely very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

I am in position 150k to get my invite, how close are others?

Happy to give back here once i get mine.

Good luck everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Too lazy to take out your phone, use a smart watch.

Conspiracy theory - OnePlus removed NFC from the device to make the future NFC-enabled OnePlus Watch an easier sell... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yea but that's because it hasn't really been widely adopted yet here in Ireland.

People without an NFC phone will not be able to use Android Pay once Google start rolling it out.

Contactless payment is supported in plenty of places, anywhere you can use the nfc debit cards. All that is needed to get that to work on your phone is an app from your payment provider (like VISA / Mastercard).

It's all in up in he air really, there's a similar spending cap on Apple pay in the UK and still no sign of it in Ireland, I suspect by the time its viable OnePlus will be launching the 3.

Also 50% of the population with NFC enabled phones will need a new device as M probably wont come to most pre 2014 phones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Any invites ?

tharmor wrote: »
    Any invites ?

Join the queue: https://oneplus.net/ie/invites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Don't see why anyone with the One would upgrade to the Two, I'll wait and see what they come out with next year.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does it support a wider range of LTE bands than the One?

LTE coverage on the One is pretty sporadic in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Not hugely impressed with the launch. Wireless/fast charging would've been the clincher for me. Might give some consideration to the S6 edge now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Dual Sim .... Yesssssss !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Dual Sim .... Yesssssss !! :D

Is that China only? I seen it said dual sim, but I doubt we will get that over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Android Central says it has pins for NFC on the back of the phone with the cover removed. It's only a matter of time for 3rd party to make stick on NFC chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was just looking at the TechoBuffolo first look and John Retigner mentioned that there will be a 3GB version released before Christmas and will retail in the States at $329. Might have a look at that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Curious to see if the Oxygen 2.0 update will disable NFC in the One Plus 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Does it support a wider range of LTE bands than the One?

LTE coverage on the One is pretty sporadic in Ireland.

It appears to use band 20 as well as band 3 so I think it'll work on all networks for LTE except maybe the old o2 network which I don't think has LTE capacity?

The one didn't use band 20 which caused all the problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

J o e wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory - OnePlus removed NFC from the device to make the future NFC-enabled OnePlus Watch an easier sell... ;)

You might be onto something Joe :)

When do people reckon you could have this in your hand? I'm 50/50.

If I could get it by September, I'd toss a coin now, if it will be late October or November, I'll go buy something else or another One now.

They're to start shipping 11 August and they're to have a much bigger initial stock than the OP1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

Well this looks to have killed the OPO 2 straight off the bat. If the $399 price tag for the Pure version comes in at less than €450 I'm sold.
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/28/the-moto-x-style-is-big-gorgeous-and-of-course-highly-customi/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Simi wrote: »
    Well this looks to have killed the OPO straight off the bat. If the $399 price tag for the Pure version comes in at less than €450 I'm sold.
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/28/the-moto-x-style-is-big-gorgeous-and-of-course-highly-customi/

Do you mean OPO or OP2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Moto X might be my new phone this year.. Should be interesting to some actual reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

Do you mean OPO or OP2?

2. The original is still good value for the time being.

Any word on the moto x being made available to us in Ireland direct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is this much better than the prime ultra? Any idea on pricing.?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Moto X looks very nice. 21MP camera in a phone, it's getting ridiculous now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Well this looks to have killed the OPO 2 straight off the bat. If the $399 price tag for the Pure version comes in at less than €450 I'm sold.
    2. The original is still good value for the time being.

Not for me, the OP2>that POS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Poor OnePlus. the OP2 is certainly no 2016 killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Niemoj wrote: »
    Anyone else watching this right now?

The VR aspect is bizarre.
    ktulu123 wrote: »
    I was watching it on the phone with the 360 camera but I got a text and the app crashed so had to restart it. Seems the stream isnt live and you have to restart the whole thing if you close the app :( Shame they are hiding loads of invite codes in the office that are all used up now i'd say
    Niemoj wrote: »
    The exact same thing happened to me and I was just about to post about it.

App crashed on my Nexus 7 and it booted me back to the start, so much for a "live stream".

I was watching it lying down in bed on my OPO and I hit the back button :( :mad:

It was my first time using VR, not great when you're lying down in bed :pac: I was impressed with VR though.

Over 500,000 in the invite queue now... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

emo72 wrote: »
    Is that China only? I seen it said dual sim, but I doubt we will get that over here.

https://oneplus.net/2
    Born Global

Never be tied down. The OnePlus 2 comes carrier-unlocked with wide range band support for service providers worldwide. And, with dual SIM capabilities, you can connect to two networks simultaneously to travel with ease. Manage your work life and personal life without the need to carry around two phones. It’s one device, for everything.

Perfect for me as I can carry my work and personal phone in one :)

Nice close up look and camera walkthrough ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm 2547 on the invite list - a big improvement on before. According to a post on the OPO forums list positions are starting to stabilise. Anyway I'm now in two minds about the opo2 since the Moto style x announcement not to mention the upcoming new Nexus phones and Galaxy note 5 although I'm not a big Samsung fan.

Having said all that I'm tempted to order a opo2 to see how it compares to my OPO. What do people reckon the secondhand value would for a barely used one if I don't like it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Id be wary of supporting a company like OP, they've been a bit shady from time to time. they've now cut ties with big site android police due to them slightly criticising them and the OP2. dodgy enough

https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/1igz22rBvt1

Tinie wrote: »
    Id be wary of supporting a company like OP, they've been a bit shady from time to time. they've now cut ties with big site android police due to them slightly criticising them and the OP2. dodgy enough

In fairness, David Ruddock hated those cyanogenmod guys from day one, to the point of harassing them on twitter daily about every press event or announcement they had, (he still does) he then turned on Oneplus last week for no reason, (i'm thinking they are a little pissed that MKBHD got a demo unit and they didn't) hell, he had a go at LEX ariport yesterday, blowing up saying it has no reason to be cos HIS flight was delayed. wait, what?

Lately the guy is turning into a loud mouth ass blowing off at anyone for no reason, I would hate to work for him and/or AP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Tinie wrote: »

I wouldn't call that editorial a "slight criticism" to be fair. While I agree with some of the basic hardware complaints (fast charge), others are overblown (2K screen and the base storage not being increased) and the overall tone is bizarrely hostile.

Frankly the Samsung/Big Fish Small Pond comparisons reminds me of some of Gizmodo's Android/Windows articles relative to their Apple shilling.

That's not to say OP are virgin saints either, there have definitely been some red flags thrown up with how they've handled complaints or issues before but I didn't see that properly articulated in the editorial at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

So are we expecting the invites to go out before the 11th?

I had assumed that would be the actual launch of the product as opposed to the launch of the invites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I dont think I have seen one post from the Ap were there hasnt been sideswipes regarding the 1+1. And I say that as someone who constantly checks the site a few times a day. But like phonearena with its constant updates on everything apple, I was getting wary of the slating the site does.
    I understand if you dont like the product, but still it looks like some of the articles are written by petulant children. Even down to the recent post of a new deal on google but you waited 93 words to find out it was only us only. ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

From PhoneArena
    OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei revealed in an interview published in today's USA Today that the next OnePlus handset would be out before the end of this year, possibly around Christmas time. The executive said that it may or may not be a higher spec'd model than the OnePlus 2 which means it could be the long rumored OnePlus mini model. On the other hand, we have heard about a phone called the OnePlus X with a 1440 x 2560 screen that could be a higher-spec'd version of the just unveiled OnePlus 2.

This isn't the first time that we have heard about another OnePlus phone being readied for release in 2015. Back in April, we told you that a cheaper handset would be offered by the company this year following the release of the OnePlus 2. Carl Pei himself was quoted by Bloomberg as saying that the second 2015 device could be made for a "different type of audience, perhaps for those who appreciate design over specs." Pei said that when he saw the prototype for the next phone, he wanted it to be his daily driver, but changed his mind when the OnePlus 2 production model came out. He says both phones are nice and that it is very hard to decide which one to use.

During the interview, Pei told the national newspaper that in five years, there will be room in the smartphone market for just three companies. He listed Apple, Samsung and OnePlus as the survivors, saying that the other companies will die off because of their inability to produce large enough margins to sustain their business. That seems funny to hear from the head of a company known to sell its phones almost at cost, but Pei added that if people continue to support OnePlus' products and love the company, it is inevitable that the company will grow and make money.

Pei also answered critics who complained about the lack of NFC support on the OnePlus 2. He said that "Very few people are using NFC, so we cut it. It's as simple as that." He added that by the time NFC is widely used, 12 to 18 months from now according to his calculations, people will be on to their next phone.

While OnePlus sold over 1 million units of its first model, Pei noted that the company broke even due to the low selling price of the phone. He said that OnePlus added a lot of new employees and says it will be a stretch to break even again this year. Still, while there has been talk of internal targets inside OnePlus reaching 3 million to 5 million handsets this year, Pei says that more important than sales figures is what consumers are saying about the company's phones.

"We said 'let's sell 50,000 phones for the OnePlus One' but we were lucky and sold way more than that. We have some internal targets of 3-5 million (sales) for this year, but it's not really important if we reach it or not. The most important metric for us is what people say about our phone, are our users happy, can we survive this year or not?"-Carl Pei, co-founder OnePlus

And don't expect OnePlus to branch off into wearables or televisions or other products. While Pei revealed that OnePlus almost branched into fitness trackers, he stated that only by focusing on one product can a company produce the best in any given category.

Read more at http://www.phonearena.com/news/OnePlus-co-founder-Pei-confirms-the-next-new-OnePlus-handset-is-coming-around-Christmas_id72239#d26VHEmWKQMdovLe.99
    oo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Anyone going to buy one on the 11th? Assuming we all get an invite.

Now that the date is approaching, my current phone (xperia z) seems like a great phone again.

Another thing adding to my hesitation is the potential new oneplus phone before the end of the year.

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    Anyone going to buy one on the 11th? Assuming we all get an invite.

Now that the date is approaching, my current phone (xperia z) seems like a great phone again.

Another thing adding to my hesitation is the potential new oneplus phone before the end of the year.

Just look at the reservation list/invite thread for the answer. Loads still interested despite all the offerings from Motorola and the chance of another oneplus phone later in the year.

For the price its a fantastic deal. I for one love the fact they didn't go super high resolution on the screen with that CPU and that's why I'll be getting it! Also laser autofocus and optical image stabilization and 1.3 micron pixel size also help a great deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm still undecided on whether I'll bother or not. I have 0 issues with my OPO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

First of the oneplus 2 invites have started....on the forums can be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Good.. at least we're getting somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

17 pages before anyone even has one! Hope it goes well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Is this a bigass phone? I'm looking to upgrade from my Nexus 4 but I really don't want a Nexus 6-size phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Is this a bigass phone? I'm looking to upgrade from my Nexus 4 but I really don't want a Nexus 6-size phone.

No it is roughly half way between a Nexus 4 and 6. screen is 5.5 inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

A Neurotic wrote: »

Very handy phone size comcomparison site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

So I see the owner Carl posted an update saying they are having issues and therefore slowing the invite process down. That's great. At this stage are they doing more damage than anything else? They promised it would be better this time. Do you think any other company would be looking at the Oneplus invite model and saying "you know, that looks like a system that would suit us". Doubt it.

As the weeks go by I'm getting more bemused than anything else. I have no indication that I will have to wait 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months to get an invite? Crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement