Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

C-Shore wrote: »
    Interesting, I might try it anyway.
    Get my GP to put it on my script, then see if I can get it in the chemist.

If it works, I'll buy the monitor then.

I mean I can get the Dexcom anyway, but I'm just drawn in by the fact that I don't actually have to carry the Libre all the time to get CGM.

What Dexcom monitor are you able to get on the LTI?

Yeah, the Libre comment was off the cuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

rm212 wrote: »
    What Dexcom monitor are you able to get on the LTI?

Yeah, the Libre comment was off the cuff!

G4 I think? Maybe G5, but I'm pretty sure she said G4.

This is through a private consultant though, not sure if a public clinic consultant would make the application for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Thriveabetes is a conference for people with type 1 diabetes in Ireland (adults living with & parents of children with). It is completely organised by volunteers who live with diabetes and focuses on the psychosocial aspects of living decades with a chronic illness.

I write a blog to help connect people, much like this thread on Boards does, and over the last couple of months we have been featuring different members of the diabetes community. I thought that you might be interested to read some of them. I know I love to find more people like me out there.

This week features A Newly Diagnosed Family's story
    Marie Ronan, from Co. Meath, whose son, Jack age 8 was diagnosed just 15 months ago.

We have also featured lots of adults living with type 1 d such as a lady who has been using an insulin pump for 30 years (!!!!), the Irish representative with IDF;s Young Leader in diabetes and a sucessful amateur cyclist heading for the pro circuit. http://thriveabetes.ie/index.php/blog/

I hope you enjoy it!

graflynn wrote: »
    Thriveabetes is a conference for people with type 1 diabetes in Ireland (adults living with & parents of children with). It is completely organised by volunteers who live with diabetes and focuses on the psychosocial aspects of living decades with a chronic illness.

I write a blog to help connect people, much like this thread on Boards does, and over the last couple of months we have been featuring different members of the diabetes community. I thought that you might be interested to read some of them. I know I love to find more people like me out there.

This week features A Newly Diagnosed Family's story
    Marie Ronan, from Co. Meath, whose son, Jack age 8 was diagnosed just 15 months ago.

We have also featured lots of adults living with type 1 d such as a lady who has been using an insulin pump for 30 years (!!!!), the Irish representative with IDF;s Young Leader in diabetes and a sucessful amateur cyclist heading for the pro circuit. http://thriveabetes.ie/index.php/blog/

I hope you enjoy it!

This is a great idea, thank you!

However, I was recently thinking about all of the different support networks and online communities that exist.

I don't know if it's just me noticing it, and I reckon the following thoughts that I have are due to the fact that after a few years of having diabetes, people/diabetics don't need to reach out as much and get help. However, so much of the diabetes community seems to be parents of children with diabetes rather than people with diabetes.

I'm probably going to come across as a bit of an asshole, but there's just something about it that doesn't sit right with me. It's almost like they've taken over.

Is there a better opportunity to breaking down conversations into those that have diabetes, and those that help people/children with diabetes?

I wrote an absolute essay (even compared to this comment!) before deleting it and editing it down to just this, because I can't seem to articulate my thoughts, but I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

I almost feel that the way in which it is discussed, especially online where there is a pretty permanent record of it, it's going to make children read back over it and feel they were a burden and caused a lot of problems for their parents.
    I think we can all agree that diabetes and chronic illness has a serious impact on mental health, regardless of the added burden of how it has changed other peoples lives.

The way in which many families talk about it seems to come from a belief that there is an endpoint. That it can be conquered, and then the world returns to normal.
    It might be that way for you when your kid hits anywhere between 16–21 and starts to do their own thing — but that kid/now adult still has to live their life with it. There's no endpoint with diabetes.

I'm really conflicted between letting your child have a childhood, but also having them understand that this is how life is but working/coping with it is very much doable, rather than it be being a catastrophe that you are always trying to recover from.
    It just seems that many parents are doing it in a way that will have a negative impact for the child later in life.

I don't know, I just can't get my head around it but would love to hear other thoughts on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

C-Shore - I do agree somewhat that the children of the people posting about diabetes in public blogs might not appreciate some of the stuff that gets posted. Understandably, parents do everything they can to get more help/information on diabetes so more power to them there!

I do think parents of diabetics should reach out to the community of adults a bit more often to get some sense of what it is like to live with it on a day to day basis. Events like the one graflynn posted above are a great opportunity for this. I was at this last year and really enjoyed it - it was great to meet so many people who wanted to talk about all of the issues involved.

Last year their were separate streams for adult diabetics and parents whose kids had it. The speakers focused on topics relevant to each group and were very interesting.

At an event last year a parent came up to me asking how they could best help their child transition from the paediatric clinic to the adult one as they (the parent) were extremely worried. The child was just about to turn 18 so the only thing I could recommend was to let them lead the way and help if asked. It is a major thing for anyone to take charge of their own care but we all have to do it! Turning 18 and heading off into the world is a major event for anyone but when you have to manage something like diabetes it is especially complicated but there isn't a whole pile we can do about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I agree with C shore to an extent but accept every situation is different.

My own mother let me take charge at a very early age, I was doing my own injections since before I started school and was testing my bloods at the same time. She checked in, and overruled when I was not paying attention but I was let find my own way for the most part.

I had arguments with the school nurse (I was in a very nice school that had its own nurse for the first few years) and my mum just came in and told her to let me at it, one year, 1st class I think, I just stopped going to the nurse and took the injections myself at lunch in a quiet part of the school.

Some people, thanks to the internet, look back on behaviour like my mothers as if she didn't care or was not good enough. She made every appointment, she was the one who told the doctor to go swing when he claimed I still had a virus and went straight to A&E, where a nurse unofficially told me I was Diabetic within a few hours. She was the one who took a shot of saline when the nurse demonstrated on an orange, claiming it didn't hurt, and I pointed out that it was an orange and couldn't cry. My mother took the first needle (despite an almost crippling fear of needles), to show me it was ok. More times than I care to admit, her face was the one over me with tears, bringing me back from a hypo.

I now have a cousin whose daughter has been diagnosed, she doesn't sleep, she doesn't relax, she is constantly on edge. I fear, before long, her daughters diabetes will incapacitate her. She weighs everything precisely, she ignores my mothers advice on, once you get a rough idea of a portion, just go by eye.

My mother trained me to live with Diabetes before I could ride a bike without stabilisers, my cousin has a daughter more than capable of looking after herself with a bit of guidance but refuses because of the pressure social media and modern parenting puts on her, as if she somehow has failed if she does not do everything perfect.

Maybe, just maybe, some of these young diabetics need to be allowed to f*ck up, because if they don't, they won't know what to do when they do f*ck up without supervision, on their own, in a bedsit getting out into the world.

The idea that a parent is nervous about a child going from one hospital to another in regards switching from paedeatric care to adult care at the age of 18 is shocking, I would be far more concerned how my child would be fit to deal with the real world in general if this is a genuine concern.

I say this as a parent of a 20yo and a 2yo, who I have probably not helped by mollycoddling myself.

I used to think like that too - that Parents of cwd shout the loudest but then Facebook developed private groups. The Diabetes in Ireland Private group has 1,400 members and we are predominately adults living wit T1 but we do have parents too. However, The parents of CWD have their own private group and that's where they post all of the questions that relate directly to parenting. A lot of those parents are members of the diabetes in Ireland group and this is their way of connecting with adults. They definitely don't post much there though but they are connecting.

So it is happening. Social media has evolved and there are people out there setting up support groups online and in real life recognising that all people living with diabetes have different needs at different times. This is why at Thriveabetes, we have breakout sessions that separate the adults into the two groups; parents of cwd and Adults wd. As a person with type 1 myself, I do spend some time learning from the parents but there's nothing like hanging out with my own tribe:-)

ElBarco wrote: »
    C-Shore - I do agree somewhat that the children of the people posting about diabetes in public blogs might not appreciate some of the stuff that gets posted. Understandably, parents do everything they can to get more help/information on diabetes so more power to them there!

I do think parents of diabetics should reach out to the community of adults a bit more often to get some sense of what it is like to live with it on a day to day basis. Events like the one graflynn posted above are a great opportunity for this. I was at this last year and really enjoyed it - it was great to meet so many people who wanted to talk about all of the issues involved.

Yeah that last point in the quote above is definitely how I feel a good balance could be found. Having parents scramble to find what's best doesn't seem to make sense when there's a wealth of experience among adult diabetics who have grown up with it.

I'm really interested in Thriveabetes now, as it seems to have a good idea of working it for everyone.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I agree with C shore to an extent but accept every situation is different.

My own mother let me take charge at a very early age, I was doing my own injections since before I started school and was testing my bloods at the same time. She checked in, and overruled when I was not paying attention but I was let find my own way for the most part.

I now have a cousin whose daughter has been diagnosed, she doesn't sleep, she doesn't relax, she is constantly on edge. I fear, before long, her daughters diabetes will incapacitate her. She weighs everything precisely, she ignores my mothers advice on, once you get a rough idea of a portion, just go by eye.

My mother trained me to live with Diabetes before I could ride a bike without stabilisers, my cousin has a daughter more than capable of looking after herself with a bit of guidance but refuses because of the pressure social media and modern parenting puts on her, as if she somehow has failed if she does not do everything perfect.

Yeah, exactly!
    I can't help but think that the way you were educated about diabetes (and how I feel I was too) is how it should happen; but as you said, there is some pressure to appear to be perfect at managing diabetes for your child.
    That idea is just far too unrealistic. There will be problems, readings won't be perfect, and adapting to it will have to be second nature.

All that will do is pass that same ideals onto the child, and set them up for frustration when things do go wrong.
    So many parents approach seems to be that they will eventually get on top of it, but I certainly don't think that happens. You get good at controlling it, but still have occasional problems.

I'm pretty sure that all of us as diabetics would agree that we're never perfect, but we roll with punches. If a child is raised to believe that there is a perfect way to manage it, there's going to be an eventual feeling of failure.
    I used to think like that too - that Parents of cwd shout the loudest but then Facebook developed private groups. The Diabetes in Ireland Private group has 1,400 members and we are predominately adults living wit T1 but we do have parents too. However, The parents of CWD have their own private group and that's where they post all of the questions that relate directly to parenting. A lot of those parents are members of the diabetes in Ireland group and this is their way of connecting with adults. They definitely don't post much there though but they are connecting.

So it is happening. Social media has evolved and there are people out there setting up support groups online and in real life recognising that all people living with diabetes have different needs at different times. This is why at Thriveabetes, we have breakout sessions that separate the adults into the two groups; parents of cwd and Adults wd. As a person with type 1 myself, I do spend some time learning from the parents but there's nothing like hanging out with my own tribe:-)

Well I'm very happy to hear that you have done it this way. I would be happy to be able to relate to adults with diabetes, as well as provide some sort of insight to parents as to what it's like growing up with it and how my childhood has shaped how I manage it now.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, it's nice to know that it's something that everyone has experienced in some way and that you're all still able to relate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I am 24 and am 90% sure I have diabetes, it would have been caused by living a poor lifestyle and gaining weight over the past 5 years with university, etc. I am going to get tested in the next couple of weeks.

Does this mean I have confined myself to a lifetime of misery? could I end up dying at 50 even if I lose weight and look after myself? It will be a hard thing to get your head around at 24. My mother talks about diabetes like it is cancer, she tells stories about how her aunt lost her foot during the last years of her life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I am 24 and am 90% sure I have diabetes, it would have been caused by living a poor lifestyle and gaining weight over the past 5 years with university, etc. I am going to get tested in the next couple of weeks.

Does this mean I have confined myself to a lifetime of misery? could I end up dying at 50 even if I lose weight and look after myself? It will be a hard thing to get your head around at 24. My mother talks about diabetes like it is cancer, she tells stories about how her aunt lost her foot during the last years of her life.

OP - get yourself to a doctor and get tested. Type 2 is totally reversible through weight loss, exercise and a decent diet. with this said it takes dedication but can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's grand.

Diagnosed 24 years next month and no bits have fallen off yet:p

Just eat properly and get plenty of exercise, ie a normal healthy balanced lifestyle and you'll be grand.

Just a bit of work and thought about what you're about to eat and how much is all the extra work involved really.

I reckon I'll live longer as a diabetic because of improved lifestyle than before I was diagnosed.

Go and get checked and go from there and if you are diabetic, call back and get some advise on management:)

It is unlikely, if it is, its early onset type 2. Completely reversible in many cases (not all). Get excercising, eat better, find someone to slap you in the face everytime it gets tough for the first while (long while) as it will be tough.

There could be several reasons for the weight gain and (presumably lethargy), Diabetes is only one and at your age, not the most likely.
    No lifetime of misery, in fact, for myself, diabetes has probably guaranteed me a longer and healthier life,a si would have done nothing to help myself without it.

Limb loss is at the extreme, increasingly rare and with any attempt to look after yourself, increasingly unlikely. you will not die any younger if you do look after yourself. Your aunts limb loss may or may not have been diabetes related but most certainly more related to the time she lived in and the treatment available, and potentially her own attitude with people telling her she was not going to do well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I used to work with a man aged around 44 with type 2 diabetes, he is still overweight but not as overweight as he was in the past, he still eats a very bad diet and says his doctors are pumping more tablets into him every time he goes. He doesn't seem to be dying so if you looked after yourself your life would be near enough normal.

I was always interested in fitness and bodybuilding around 5-6 years ago so if I have diabetes it could end up being a good thing and I can start back trying to reach those goals.

My symptoms are eye blurriness, dizziness sometimes and my urine colour is often very strong.

There is another thing, over the last 7 years I have always had a dry mouth and always keep a bottle of water to hand, this was the case even when I was a healthy weight so I wouldn't be sure if it had anything to do with diabetes.

I used to work with a man aged around 44 with type 2 diabetes, he is still overweight but not as overweight as he was in the past, he still eats a very bad diet and says his doctors are pumping more tablets into him every time he goes. He doesn't seem to be dying so if you looked after yourself your life would be near enough normal.

I was always interested in fitness and bodybuilding around 5-6 years ago so if I have diabetes it could end up being a good thing and I can start back trying to reach those goals.

My symptoms are eye blurriness, dizziness sometimes and my urine colour is often very strong.

There is another thing, over the last 7 years I have always had a dry mouth and always keep a bottle of water to hand, this was the case even when I was a healthy weight so I wouldn't be sure if it had anything to do with diabetes.

The most important thing is to go to a doctor and get tested as soon as possible.

There are a few conditions that can cause similar symptoms so it's best to seek a professional to diagnose what you may have.

It's good that you're aware of the dangers and you can look at it as an early warning to look after yourself better.

Even without Diabetes, he probably wouldn't be in great shape after awhile.

As Buford says, get tested and a doctors opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭uli84

Has anyone passed their driving licence test recently? For how long they are giving the licences in case of diabetes? Thanks!

uli84 wrote: »
    Has anyone passed their driving licence test recently? For how long they are giving the licences in case of diabetes? Thanks!
    10 year licence, third since diagnosis 24 years ago.

Once you have informed them of having diabetes and your bloods are under control, I don't think they have anymore to do with it?

Oh, and test your blood before driving, you're not insured if your blood is under 5, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Guys has anyone ever had problems with their diabetes due to stress?

pew wrote: »
    Guys has anyone ever had problems with their diabetes due to stress?

Yes, I think the general rule of thumb is that higher than usual stress levels lead to higher BG levels. I was unusual in that times of high stress would cause me to have severe hypos but any other Diabetic I have talked to seems to suffer high and uncontrollable BG levels while their stress levels are higher.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yes, I think the general rule of thumb is that higher than usual stress levels lead to higher BG levels. I was unusual in that times of high stress would cause me to have severe hypos but any other Diabetic I have talked to seems to suffer high and uncontrollable BG levels while their stress levels are higher.

My stress levels are through the roof and have. Been the past few months. My bg levels are not in control and have lead to other illnesses.

• Advertisement

10 year licence, third since diagnosis 24 years ago.

Once you have informed them of having diabetes and your bloods are under control, I don't think they have anymore to do with it?

Oh, and test your blood before driving, you're not insured if your blood is under 5, iirc.

Where is your GP? I went locally and he only gave me for 3 years :( willing to pay again to get it for 10 years

Where is your GP? I went locally and he only gave me for 3 years :( willing to pay again to get it for 10 years
    Kerry.

Afaik, all the diabetics I know have a 10 year licence.

Kerry.

Afaik, all the diabetics I know have a 10 year licence.

Must be my bad luck, in fairness there is some bullsh*t in the ndls book about 3 years for diabetics but when i had the form done in the hospital twice previous times i also got 10 years.

Ah well, maybe NDLS will still give me for 10 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Anybody here have experience of haemochromatosis? I'm waiting on the screener to come back but seems a likely diagnosis at this point

Xofpod wrote: »
    Anybody here have experience of haemochromatosis? I'm waiting on the screener to come back but seems a likely diagnosis at this point
    Two lads that I work with have had diabetes diagnosed and haemochromatosis diagnosed later in the year.

Both are doing fine, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Two lads that I work with have had diabetes diagnosed and haemochromatosis diagnosed later in the year.

Both are doing fine, btw.

Diabetes fine and under control but the prospect of being bled to treat the haemochromatosis seems medieval. Bring on the leeches....

Diabetes fine and under control but the prospect of being bled to treat the haemochromatosis seems medieval. Bring on the leeches....
    :D

I find it's better to focus on the positives. There are plans afoot to use your and other sufferers blood to help shortages in donated blood supplies, but I think it's confined to non diabetics now that I think about it:(

Got results from my HBA1C (first time in nearly 2 years getting it done)

8.3 it's high but I was expecting ot to be higher I've been treating my body like a landfill the past while.

But I'm copping on and want it lower next time.

So today my CGM medtronic pump was showing 3.6 while the actual sugar was 12.2 - how is it even possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LemonAid

So today my CGM medtronic pump was showing 3.6 while the actual sugar was 12.2 - how is it even possible...

If you think that's bad, I tested on my BGM and got LO - then 10.4 - then 5.6 - then 7.1! All scans one after the other.

• Advertisement

LemonAid wrote: »
    If you think that's bad, I tested on my BGM and got LO - then 10.4 - then 5.6 - then 7.1! All scans one after the other.
    I had a blood reading of 26 then 23 then 19 then 14 then 11 then 9 and 9 again. All in the space of about 10 minutes.

It's mad, Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Both my parents were carriers of the gene and both myself and my brother have haemachromatosis, my brother has to get blood removed once a month they take it at the blood donation clinics as its rich in Iron. Me I don't yet have to get it taken as for some reason the iron levels are near normal although when I am giving bloods two weeks prior to attending the diabetic clinic they tak a sample to test the iron levels. As I got diabetics in my early thirties I think the haemachromatosis played a part possibly damaging my pancreas over time. I think any Irish people should get checked as its known as the Celtic desease!

LemonAid wrote: »

How they get that stuff into the market ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

Aeternum wrote: »
    Got my HBa1C down from just over 10% at the start of March to 7.7% two weeks ago. Delighted and thought I was heading in the right direction but yesterday the endo has asked me to run my bloods a bit on the high side (fasting BS of 8-9 and post meal of 9-10) for 8 weeks to try and re establish hypo awareness as I've stopped being able to recognise when I'm having one. A bit gutted as I know it's going to cause the hba1c to rise again after all the hard work I've put in. Has anyone else ever been asked to do this? I haven't come across it before but doctors must know best!:)

Also found out my hospital has started running the DAFNE course so I'm doing it in July! :)

Aeternum, can you tell me please where the DAFNE course is being run? Is there a long waiting list do you know? Thanks :)

Just like your blood glucose meter, CGM's are not 100% accurate!

jano1 wrote: »
    Aeternum, can you tell me please where the DAFNE course is being run? Is there a long waiting list do you know? Thanks :)

http://www.dafne.uk.com/all-courses.html

There is also a similar course called BERGER in Cork and I think there's one other clinic that runs something by a different name.

Oh man, that's tough, so it was neither 3.6 nor 12.2, hope some breakthrough is coming soon...

On a different topic-does anyone knows which hospitals outside Dublin (within 50-100km radius) have pump clinics?
    Thanks!

Plus please note the CGM doesnt test your blood it tests the instraterial Fluid (spelling?) so there will be a lag... there are many reasons they can different but such an amount usually...

The area where the CGM is placed isnt a good area of your body - some place are far better than other for getting accurate readings.

Sensor could be faulty (It happens) I have heard the Medtronic arent as accruate as others

Transmitter could be faulty

Your testing strips could be dirty

Dirt of your finger where you pricked

:)

Oh man, that's tough, so it was neither 3.6 nor 12.2, hope some breakthrough is coming soon...

On a different topic-does anyone knows which hospitals outside Dublin (within 50-100km radius) have pump clinics?
    Thanks!

did you not test again? and leave it 10 minutes and test again?

if in doubt test and test again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I'm doing it in Mayo! I don't know if there's a long waiting list they mentioned it to me at my check up a few months ago and I got straight into the first course being run so I'm not sure if there's much interest locally. I know they ran another course before this I think it was called expert so they might be trying to get people who haven't done any course before :)

cocker5 wrote: »
    did you not test again? and leave it 10 minutes and test again?

if in doubt test and test again...

I didn't, I trust my sugar meter more than the CGM on the pump so took it was correct. Damn, all the drama with sugars after meals makes me wanna limit eating to the minimum :) When im fasting it's so nice, steady n within limits

I didn't, I trust my sugar meter more than the CGM on the pump so took it was correct. Damn, all the drama with sugars after meals makes me wanna limit eating to the minimum :) When im fasting it's so nice, steady n within limits

If my results don't look right I test on both hands and then once more for luck, take the two that are close together. I don't leave anytime between tests though. Not scientific, just increasing the odds of which one is the odd one out..

To be honest at times neither are more accurate than another - always test again. Difference finger with a new strip. There could be a number of reasons neither is right as i posted above and if you were up at 12 (so the metre says).. i DEF wouldn't take that as right id test again

You mention sugars after your meal... when do you take your insulin?
    try taking it 15 / 20 mins before you eat this will help lessen the spike.. have you started carb counting? this would help hugely with any spiking.

DAFNE is run is most hospitals they do require you to be a year diagnosed(or you may be able to convince them to let you do it sooner) .. there are lots of books you can look at to get you started on your own first - you dont have to wait until the course etc. See attached...

Also download the carb and cals app to your smart phone

http://www.carbsandcals.com/

Just got back from my pump clinic this morning full of that buzz about doing everything right from now on. Just trying to figure out how long it will last this time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

The major thing I've found with the CGM is that you have to calibrate it at the right time. I try to only calibrate when I'm seeing a relatively flat line on the screen. Having said that it can be wildly out of kilter with actual glucose readings for the first 12 hours or so when a new one goes in.

The major thing I've found with the CGM is that you have to calibrate it at the right time. I try to only calibrate when I'm seeing a relatively flat line on the screen. Having said that it can be wildly out of kilter with actual glucose readings for the first 12 hours or so when a new one goes in.
    Consultant said that to me today, watch the first 12 hours or so as the reading s in his opinions were way under what they should be, and it really only should be used for the patterns.

Nurse said it is due for general release here in September, not on the LTI yet (no code yet, although some smaller chemists may make mistakes and put it under a different code) but they expect it to be on the LTI soon enough.

Accordign to the nurse it will be 140euro for the kit + 2 sensors (which is odd as my ads from the UK version say its 159 sterling for the same) and then 55euro per sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Three blind mice, see how they heal :)

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep26525

A fundamental gap in knowledge is whether diabetic wounds have abnormal electric signaling. Here we used a vibrating probe to demonstrate that diabetic corneas produced significantly weaker wound electric signals than the normal cornea. This was confirmed in three independent animal models of diabetes: db/db, streptozotocin-induced and mice fed a high-fat diet.

Diabetic cornea wounds produce significantly weaker electric signals that may contribute to impaired healing

Time lapse measurements revealed that the electric currents at diabetic corneas lost the normal rising and plateau phases.

The abnormal electric signals correlated significantly with impaired wound healing.

Immunostaining suggested lower expression of chloride channel 2 and cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator in diabetic corneal epithelium.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

I discovered this by accident after changing sensors before bedtime and having nights of either low suspend or sensor readings of 17+ When my bloods were fine. Presumed it was because I was lying on the sensor or something. Will move to a.m. changes from now on thanks!

I just love how Medtronic pump/CGM tells you 'calibration not accepted' without stating any reason as to why. Happens twice in a row and 50€ sensor goes to bin, great business if you ask me but who let that into the market

• Advertisement
Advertisement