Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looting and Rioting in St. Louis (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Egginacup wrote: »
    Someone said he had four felonies since turning 18. This, I find, IMPOSSIBLE to believe since (having lived in the US) a simple misdemeanor carries a prison term of maximum, 1 year. That's a misdemeanor crime.....you know, menacing, trespassing, brawling with your girlfriend's Ex, etc. 4 FELONIES would have put a white man inside for years. 4 felonies would have put a black man in the gas chamber, along with his family.
    So did this so called "thug" have convictions, or even charges against him?

I doubt it. Drug dealers and street hooligans don't go to college.

If he had felonies he wouldn't have qualified for federal aid, which means it's highly unlikely he would have gotten a full paid scholarship or even accepted into college.
    This is the first time I'm reading about him having a criminal record but there is a much (Mis) information going around

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I can't even imagine what his family are going through. The shock, hurt and grief of losing your son in such a violent, pointless way and then have to read lies and half truths put there to discredit him. God help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

mo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah, things seem really bad, with reporters being arrested, which strikes me as being very, very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Why is this considered news in Ireland? You'd lead a more pleasant life by not reading about irrelevant murders.

Why is this considered news in Ireland? You'd lead a more pleasant life by not reading about irrelevant murders.

Nobody is forcing anybody to read about it.. and you could say the same thing about anything else going on in the world that doesn't affect you directly =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

It's like the end of The Dark Knight Rises. Just much, much slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What sort of training are police given in the States? Clearly it isn't enough particularly when you consider that they're armed as heavily as soldiers in most armies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Murder is never irrelevant no matter what country it occurs in.

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/499719019747090433
    Ferguson chief tells me @WesleyLowery and @ryanjreilly's arresters were "probably somebody who didn't know better."

If that wouldn't fill you with confidence about the police then I don't know what would :pac:

Probably didn't know any better yet they're armed to the teeth and allowed to fire rubber bullets into groups of peaceful protesters :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Man, that livestream site is just a big steaming bag of human scum isn't it? Can you turn off the comments?

Remember the time when you'd see a movie or a TV show and you knew that the bad guys were really in trouble when a SWAT team showed up? You know, when it was a building full of heavily armed criminals or an elite soldier being chased?

Now it appears that SWAT teams are basically used for everything which isn't a routine traffic stop.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/02/17/shedding-light-on-the-use-of-swat-teams/

50,000 to 80,000 SWAT deployments in America, per year. That's around 3 SWAT deployments, every day, in every state in the US.

This is despite the fact that violent crime in the US is at its lowest in about 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They can deploy SWAT to raids on homes where they believe the tenants will be armed and have reinforced doors, windows etc on their houses. I don't think it's that unusual. The guys break their way in, secure everything and head off home then to let the other lads deal with why they raided the place.

seamus wrote: »
    Man, that livestream site is just a big steaming bag of human scum isn't it? Can you turn off the comments?

Yeah, it's awful!

I hid the comments with Adblock by adding the following rule
    new.livestream.com##.comments_list_ui

Or you can just use Element Hiding Helper

I don't think the stream is even live now though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been following what has been going on since the weekend.

To sum it up:
    1. Michael Brown had some altercation with the police
    2. He stood unarmed with his hands in the air
    3. Police shot him reportedly 9 times (this is not officially confirmed by the department)
    4. A crowd gathered and were in shock
    5. The police called for backup and the riot squad before reporting the officer involved shooting, before calling for an ambulance.
    6. The police left the body lying on the middle of the street and focused on controlling the crowd.
    7. The press reports this as rioting and looting.
    8. Protests continue until today
    9. The police are using unnecessary force against the protesters and are arbitrarily arresting people. They made the mistake of arresting 2 reporters who were 'tresspassing' in McDonalds yesterday and then let them go without any charges or explanation as to why they were arrested.
    10. Protests are being organised in every major city

This is happening all too frequently in the USA. A movie called Fruitvale Station was released last year documenting something similar with the shooting of Oscar Grant which is worth watching, it's supossedly extremely accurate.
    There was also a man choked and killed by NYPD a few weeks ago, and not to forget other incidents such as Rodney King etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The fact that the cops burst into a McDonalds while reporters where eating, demanded they turn their cameras off, and arrested them for not tells you the mentality of some cops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

seamus wrote: »
    Remember the time when you'd see a movie or a TV show and you knew that the bad guys were really in trouble when a SWAT team showed up? You know, when it was a building full of heavily armed criminals or an elite soldier being chased?

Now it appears that SWAT teams are basically used for everything which isn't a routine traffic stop.
    It's a massive issue. Here's a good piece from the Economist on the militarisation of America's police forces.

This whole mess just ram home just how far that's come: the 'police' look a hell of a lot more like 'soldiers' to me. Flak vests as standard, armoured cars, military issue rifles, etc, etc. All for unarmed protesters.

Edit: Seriously, this picture just about sums up the madness. Remember that these are police officers and this is not Iraq.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Anonymous have tracked down the officer (who has been put on leave) who shot Michael Brown. They are releasing his name, photo and address later today unless the Fergusson PD provide details on the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

my cousin from North Carolina was visiting last week, and spoke of how heavily armed the police have become, and the increase in the police presence where he lives... which has long been considered a safe and peaceful neighborhood. He says people now feel nervous when the police are around, which is pretty ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I remember reading a year or so back how many police departments are becoming flooded with army equipment, mainly because so much was made during the Iraq/Afghanistan wars that has since been decommissioned by the military that it has to go somewhere. Because of this, the police departments tend to fight for these "toys" like grenade launchers, drones and f***ing tanks(!) by showing they need the funding more than other departments, leading to false arrests and such. What use a tank has for a local police department is anyone's guess but in 2013 alone they received $450mn in military equipment, so the fact there are a lot of "toys" to be obtained leads to a lot of competition for them.

What I find incredible though is how counter productive of all is. It's been proven time, and time, and time again that the harder you push a population, the harder they will push back, and what we are seeing in recent times over there is straight out of something Orwell or Kubrick would make, or a satirical comic. It's just asking for trouble, and trouble is what they are getting.

But hey, I guess that leads to more arrests, which in turn leads to more funding and more "toys", even like we saw with the two journalists here. And that is before getting into the lobbying of interests from privately owned, for-profit prison systems.

Which makes me laugh when people call for "zero tolerance badass policing and long prison sentences for all!" in AH, which is pretty frequent.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Anonymous have tracked down the officer (who has been put on leave) who shot Michael Brown. They are releasing his name, photo and address later today unless the Fergusson PD provide details on the incident.
    Not always their biggest fan, but at times like this I think Anonymous are an absolutely invaluable part of modern society. Not that releasing the officers details will really solve much or lead to a lot of good admittedly, but in an era where law enforcement is becoming so downright Orwellian at times it is great to see something, anything to fight back from the other side and force them to some standard of accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Boom_Bap wrote: »

No good will come of this. It will only end badly for the cops family.

mad muffin wrote: »
    No good will come if this. It will only end badly for the cops family.
    Exactly, so the Fergusson PD better actually start giving some information as to what exactly happened ASAP, rather than keeping it so secretive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Reekwind wrote: »
    Edit: Seriously, this picture just about sums up the madness. Remember that these are police officers and this is not Iraq.

F*cking hell, they look like something out of a dystopian movie or video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Billy86 wrote: »
    Exactly, so the Fergusson PD better actually start giving some information as to what exactly happened ASAP, rather than keeping it so secretive.

Why should they release the individual cops name before they've had a chance to investigate what happened?

Some versions of events are that the cop was attacked and there was a struggle for the pistol.

Is it fair to feed him to the mob before we know if he's done anything wrong?
    No good can come from naming him; finish the preliminary investigation and release his identity in context.

Not his name, but they should give some honest information on what they know about the incident so far. Because to date they have not only seeing spewing blatant BS with what littlest hey have said, but have been treating the entire public (and media) with nothing but smug disdain and contempt.

What Anonymous are threatening to do is low yes, but sometimes you just need to stoop to their level to at least put the sh*t up them a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I read a gaming forum NeoGaf (primarily USA) and in the last week there has been 4 crime stories of police abusing their power in that forum . You don't have to be the brightest to join the police force. They're not called road nazis for nothing over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Billy86 wrote: »
    I remember reading a year or so back how many police departments are becoming flooded with army equipment, mainly because so much was made during the Iraq/Afghanistan wars that has since been decommissioned by the military that it has to go somewhere. Because of this, the police departments tend to fight for these "toys" like grenade launchers, drones and f***ing tanks(!) by showing they need the funding more than other departments, leading to false arrests and such. What use a tank has for a local police department is anyone's guess but in 2013 alone they received $450mn in military equipment, so the fact there are a lot of "toys" to be obtained leads to a lot of competition for them.

What I find incredible though is how counter productive of all is. It's been proven time, and time, and time again that the harder you push a population, the harder they will push back, and what we are seeing in recent times over there is straight out of something Orwell or Kubrick would make, or a satirical comic. It's just asking for trouble, and trouble is what they are getting.

But hey, I guess that leads to more arrests, which in turn leads to more funding and more "toys", even like we saw with the two journalists here. And that is before getting into the lobbying of interests from privately owned, for-profit prison systems.

Which makes me laugh when people call for "zero tolerance badass policing and long prison sentences for all!" in AH, which is pretty frequent.

http://www.civin.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/adama-military-police.jpg

Advertisement