Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looting and Rioting in St. Louis (Merged)

Options
  • 11-08-2014 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

A teenage boy was killed yesterday by a Ferguson, MO police officer. According to witnesses, the boy was walking to his grandmother's house after leaving a corner store. He and his friend were walking on the street when a patrol office drove by and told them to get on the sidewalk. The boys refused since they were only a few doors down at this point.

The police officer pulls his gun and the boys run. The police officer shoots Mike Brown. Mike throws his hands up asking that they don't shoot him. The police officer in the head then shoots him 8-9 more times, leaving his dead body in the middle of the street so his grandmother could stumble across him.

http://fox2now.com/on-air/live-streaming/

https://twitter.com/hashtag/mikebrown?f=realtime&src=tren

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench

Protests began peacefully. Locals went out to the street and sat down with their arms in the air, chanting "Please don't shoot me." The peaceful protests continued for about a day but now it has dissolved into looting. Local stores owned by Asians have been broken into. Reports that buildings are burning.

Anonymous has vowed to target the Ferguson Police Department if they harmed the protestors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Reports are coming in that they have activated the Missouri National Guard and tanks are being transported in.

https://twitter.com/StLouisJournal/status/498680629391671298

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

misleading much?
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/10/black-teen-fatal-shooting-by-police-in-missouri-prompts-calls-for-federal/?intcmp=latestnews
    A news conference was held simultaneously in a different building. There, St. Louis County Police Jon Belmar said the incident began when the officer encountered two men on the street near an apartment complex on Saturday afternoon in a predominantly black suburb a few miles north of downtown St. Louis.

Belmar said one of the men pushed the officer back into his squad car and the struggle began. Belmar said at least one shot was fired inside the police car.

The struggle spilled out into the street where the teenager was shot. Police have not disclosed his name, but family members say it was 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Still a bit OTT sounding but at least mention that the victim had a go at the cop first, hardly totally innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

misleading much?
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/10/black-teen-fatal-shooting-by-police-in-missouri-prompts-calls-for-federal/?intcmp=latestnews

Still a bit OTT sounding but at least mention that the victim had a go at the cop first, hardly totally innocent.

Nope. That was concocted today in spite of several eye witness statements. The cop that killed Mike Brown is on administrative leave, pending investigation. Cops confiscated cellphones and ripped out security cameras that may have footage. This is why there were protests and the protests have now devolved into looting.

The original story had been that Mike was shoplifting at the corner store but the clerk denied that he did so.

ETA. New reports coming in that looters are targeting White protesters

ETA. Reports coming in that rioters are now attempting to loot homes, including a police officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

patrol office drove by and told them to get on the sidewalk. The boys refused since they were only a few doors down at this point.

Yep that's a great reason to refuse an officers order. :rolleyes:

Respect the cops. Simples. There's more to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nope. That was concocted today in spite of several eye witness statements. The cop that killed Mike Brown is on administrative leave, pending investigation. Cops confiscated cellphones and ripped out security cameras that may have footage. This is why there were protests and the protests have now devolved into looting.

The original story had been that Mike was shoplifting at the corner store but the clerk denied that he did so.

ETA. Reports coming in that rioters are now attempting to loot homes, including a police officer.

Always two sides to a story. Doubt he just randomly shot hit. Administrative leave is normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So the police are concocting stories and have made all the evidence vanish? :rolleyes:

You don't sound biased at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

A teenage boy
    18-year-old Michael Brown.
    AKA an adult. Using the word "boy" is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No Pants wrote: »
    AKA an adult. Using the word "boy" is misleading.

I'd call an 18 year old a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

kneemos wrote: »
    That's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Gotta love the intelligence of people rioting, looting and destroying their own neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Good job you're there to decide who is telling the truth. Have you considered becoming a judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

why run?

imo thats why the shots were fired

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Disenfranchised. That word is bound to be used sometime soon to explain the actions of the looters. Gas that these underprivileged poor souls usually take 50inch plasma TV's and expensive runners rather than bread and milk.

montyrebel wrote: »
    why run?

You don't shoot someone for running away.Certainly doesn't warrant the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

montyrebel wrote: »
    why run?

Always a good reason to shoot someone yeah? If someone pulled out a gun on you, would your first instinct be to run? Especially when it could be a trigger happy US police officer.

Like the above posters, I think there is more to this story than we are hearing. But incidents like this happen far too regularly. Yes, if the officer asked the guy's to get up on the sidewalk, then that's what they should have done, after all, they could have been killed walking on the road.

But shooting a person should be a very last resort thing to do, and by the sounds of at we have heard so far, that was not the case here.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

So the police are concocting stories and have made all the evidence vanish? :rolleyes:

You don't sound bias at all.

You can't say that racism/deadly response doesn't exist in American police forces. It's curious that you would be so completely certain that this isn't the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Good boy!

Good boy!

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm sure there is more to this. Gotta love how they are targeting Asian shop owners and white protestors. Nothing better to deal with unproved racism than more racism.

He was unarmed. He was shot when he was 35ft away from the officer. No news reports are disputing that.

If the bullet holes entered to the rear of his body then there really is no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

By definition you are wrong to do that.

anncoates wrote: »
    You can't say that racism/deadly response doesn't exist in American police forces. It's curious that you would be so completely certain that this isn't the case here.

I don't believe I stated my opinion on the guilt of either party rather I was criticising the OP for being biased as he appears to have formed a conclusion before the matter is even properly investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

PeteFalk78 wrote: »

Eh kinda, kinda not. 18 is legally, in the current day, an adult. 2000 years ago, a 13 year old boy was considered a man. The age is a line in the sand, but 18 year olds vary. Those who've already had kids are probably closer to adult than child, those still in school are much more childlike. I'd consider an 18 year old to be a boy as well. It's funny, I remember hearing things like "an 18 year old woman" when I was that age and thinking how weird it is to call an 18 year old girl a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

as he appears to have formed a conclusion before the matter is even properly investigated.

Have you?

PeteFalk78 wrote: »

Technically maybe,but not practically.

anncoates wrote: »
    Have you?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Protests began peacefully. Locals went out to the street and sat down with their arms in the air, chanting "Please don't shoot me." The peaceful protests continued for about a day but now it has dissolved into looting. Local stores owned by Asians have been broken into. Reports that buildings are burning.
    Why are the Asians being targeted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I don't see much of a reason to doubt KW's version. Why would people riot if the guy robbed a shop. Plus if the police have exonerating evidence they can show it. Lots of cc cameras and police car cameras these days.

It's not unlikely that a trigger happy cop shot someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

SeanW wrote: »

why not. racism is not confined to the white race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

SeanW wrote: »

Because they run the stores being targeted. What were the whites protesting?

Advertisement