Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nicest cup-a-soup ?

• 27-11-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭

or hotcup, currently find the Erin beef and vegetable tasty enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

There is no such thing as a nice cup-a-soup.
    It's easier to find a pot of gold and the end of a rainbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

An empty one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Agreed, there really is no such thing as a nice instant cuppa soup. Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

2smiggy wrote: »
    or hotcup, currently find the Erin beef and vegetable tasty enough.

I know that everyone's definition of "tasty" is different but unless they dramatically improved since I last had one - admittedly over 10 years ago - then they are still rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

They all taste like tomatoes that have been boil cooked in weak vegetable stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're all vile. I particularly dislike the inevitable crunchy bits of pea and carrot that seem to defy being rehydrated.

Making your own soup is probably one of the easiest things to do in the kitchen, so make up your own and reheat at work (assuming there's a microwave, of course) and save a bundle of money. I just buy whatever happens to be the Lidl /Aldi fresh veg offer of the week whenever it's on and make a big batch of soup out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Pot noodles are worse muck though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Salty goodness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oxtail. With a couple of slices of fresh Brennan's bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Agreed, there really is no such thing as a nice instant cuppa soup. Yuck!

Though didn't they bring out a puke flavour a couple of years back. I thought it was very passable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

perhaps should have phrased it as least rank cup-a-soup !!

they are handy on these cold mornings, especially if where you are working involves bringing a flask and sandwiches. I also find the leak and potato flavor not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are some nice ones coming in from Japan in the form of Miso soup, available in Asian markets. I like the Osuimono, and the spinach one is nice too. Healthy as well, good source of B vitamins.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Oxtail. With a couple of slices of fresh Brennan's bread.

Oxtail is the champion amongst cup-o-soups. Dipping a slice of buttered soda bread in it is expert level.

An Italian girl I worked with could not understand the concept of cuppa soups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Was always a fan of Knorr's Chicken, but they messed with the recipe, and now it's horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

SNERT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SNERT!
    I'm probably one of only a handful of people on boards (including yourself of course!) who knows what that is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Alun wrote: »
    They're all vile. I particularly dislike the inevitable crunchy bits of pea and carrot that seem to defy being rehydrated.

Making your own soup is probably one of the easiest things to do in the kitchen, so make up your own and reheat at work (assuming there's a microwave, of course) and save a bundle of money. I just buy whatever happens to be the Lidl /Aldi fresh veg offer of the week whenever it's on and make a big batch of soup out of that.

Would you ever gazpacho it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Batchelors Minestrone Cup A Soup with croutons & some soy sauce to taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pregnant and craving these at the moment (haven't eaten them in years). Yellow box (can't remember the brand) tomato flavour and the oxtail are my fav at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Alun wrote: »
    I'm probably one of only a handful of people on boards (including yourself of course!) who knows what that is :D
    Erwtensoep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Pregnant and craving these at the moment (haven't eaten them in years). Yellow box (can't remember the brand) tomato flavour and the oxtail are my fav at the mo

Knowr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Knowr?

No clue. All I know is that this thread brought the cravings back with a vengeance and a trip to the shop is in order rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Muck-a-soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Terrible vile stuff altogether and riddled with salt as well. Make a big pot of your own which is very easily and cheaply done and keep it in freezer in small containers and use as required. Much more tasty and definitely more healthy for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Bachelors Cream of Asparagus is a proper craving food for me! Otherwise I hate them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Forget the cup-a-soup stuff and get yourself a microwaveable vegetable soup by Cully & Sully.
    Much much nicer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reoil wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a nice cup-a-soup.
    It's easier to find a pot of gold and the end of a rainbow.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/24/article-2430666-18393EFC00000578-657_634x467.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Erin Oxtail is by far the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Snert is a disgusting name for a brilliant soup.

I bought this packet of miso cup a soups from a Chinese supermarket a year or so ago. The packet was for 12 cups of soup and had all these different strips of packets. So 12 miso paste, 12 very fine dried seaweed and tofu strips, 12 broth: 4 chicken, 4 beef, 4 veg. Best cup a soups ever, savoury and light and no clumpy powder.

But can I find the feckers again? No I cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Hot Cup is where it's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Family member of mine is addicted to these. I particularly hate the chicken one; smells of sweaty privates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Always a soupy lump in the bottom no matter how well it is stirred! Rotten!

Used to live on the chicken with croutons as a lad though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Farmhouse vegetable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I just bought a packet of Knorrs 'Gourmet Moments' 'cause they were half price in tesco. It was mushroom, bacon and mascarpone cheese and it was friggin delicious!

Always found normal cup a soups rotten.. watery, with a few clumps at the bottom.

The moments one was fab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Love an oul Oxtail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Would ye not just make a big pot of soup yourselves? Fcuk a load of vegetables and a stock cube into a pot with some water and leave it to simmer for a while. Result: tasty homemade soup that fills you up.

Cup-a-soups are rotten.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

LizT wrote: »
    Would ye not just make a big pot of soup yourselves? Fcuk a load of vegetables and a stock cube into a pot with some water and leave it to simmer for a while. Result: tasty homemade soup that fills you up.

Cup-a-soups are rotten.

except oxtail :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

especially oxtail. Even the name sounds horrible.

it's like a nectar from the golden gods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pollyannawins

knorr used to do a great tai vegatible soup in a bag but shelved it (probably because we have such bland taste in Ireland I assume)

a petition should be past round: I'm indignant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

chicken caesar.

or peri-peri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Cup-a-soups are rotten.

Liz I'm a man & can't make s*it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Skipen soup. You get a cup of chicken soup and then you empty half a packet of skips into it and let them melt. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Cup-a-soups are rotten.

Made my own vegetable soup and it was so tasty and at least you know what's in it.

Skipen soup. You get a cup of chicken soup and then you empty half a packet of skips into it and let them melt. Yum.

This sounds like it could be a landmark invention. This needs to be tried.
    Have you tinkered with other types of crisp and soup flavours?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    This sounds like it could be a landmark invention. This needs to be tried.
    Have you tinkered with other types of crisp and soup flavours?

Not yet. Skips are the only crisps I can think of that melt instantly. Plus its chicken and skipen, just seems to make sense.

Not yet. Skips are the only crisps I can think of that melt instantly. Plus its chicken and skipen, just seems to make sense.

Snax + Oxtail = Snail

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Snax + Oxtail = Snail

I'm not sure if the Snax would melt but they could make for an interesting crouton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I want some skipen soup now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement