Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

115kms, dublin-larragh-wicklow gap-blessington lakes and back. What was with the flies today?! I had to sprint up in every climb just to get away from a freaky cloud of flies. I met few walkers on the way to Laragh and asked them as they had their head covered to protect from the flies, but they said they haven't seen anything like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

AstraMonti wrote: »
    115kms, dublin-larragh-wicklow gap-blessington lakes and back. What was with the flies today?! I had to sprint up in every climb just to get away from a freaky cloud of flies. I met few walkers on the way to Laragh and asked them as they had their head covered to protect from the flies, but they said they haven't seen anything like that before.

Once you keep moving its fine. If you have to stop for a call of nature or whatever then you're fly bait. Its pretty chronic south Wicklow way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Yesterday 80km, Killarney Kenmare via Kilgarvan then back via Molls Gap, almost torpedoed at Ladies View by a car suddenly braking ahead for some reason:confused: To let another car reverse out of a parking spot, a bit of swerving on my part required.
    100km today from Castlemaine to Tralee then Castleisland Killarney Killorglin and Castlemaine again, saw the ambulance with a lone cyclist near Ballymac and they were geeting the stretcher out even though he was standing? He must have come off his bike but had happened before we passed.
    Met a charity cycle group on the road from Killarney near Farranfore, 2 groups of c. 40 riders each with outriders and cars but not sure who organised it?
    There was a van with some Clare club or other written on the side.
    All in all a nice weekend on the kerry roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ok, so Sat, not today:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73222510&postcount=41

155km Helping Hand sportive out of Athy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Keyboard Warrior

Limerick-Mountshannon-Portumna-Nenagh-Birdhill-Limerick solo cycle. 158K. 40K longer than I have cycled before. Average speed 21.08km/h tells how much I suffered especially last 60K, took me well over 2 hours to do last 40K! ouch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did the Étape du tour, 109km, 1 Cat 1 climb (Telegraph) and 2 HC, Galibier and Alpe du Huez. Tough tough day! But made it! Delighted.
    Highlights, the Galibier, flying through tunnels at over 40mph, the coldest alpine stream water you can imagine on the alpe where the temp was over 35 degrees! Amazing views, great to do it on closed roads. And finishing when 5k from the top I was spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

this was yesterdays cycle. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/40925678

Today is rest day. Go again tomorrow evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

19.6 km in 57 mins approx.
    Mostly flat.
    I'm fairly new to cycling, I'm 50 and overweight.
    Will probably never enter a race or sportive,
    will definitely never win one if I do.
    BUT.... I love cycling.
    I just don't get enough chance to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Cool. Whilst you were doing that, I was running the self same hill... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98159737 in an imra race. Great day for it.

I'm in Leighlinbridge so I have to travel to get some decent hill work..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Yesterday morning got out for a really enjoyable 117km ride around Carlow & Kilkenny. Route that went Borris–Graiguenamanagh–Thomastown–Inistioge–Listerlin–Stoneyford–Kilkenny and back.

Beautiful morning, we met tons of other cyclists out on the road, half 7 seems to be a popular starting time! Nice bit of climbing on the route, nothing too huge but still four cat 5's and two cat 4 climbs. The longest cycle I've done so far by around 40k, felt pretty good afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Beginner says: 17.5k around Julianstown, Laytown, Bettystown, Mornington. 46 minutes. It was very nice. Good air, no flies, nice getting a look at the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

dermiek wrote: »
    19.6 km in 57 mins approx.
    Mostly flat.
    I'm fairly new to cycling, I'm 50 and overweight.
    Will probably never enter a race or sportive,
    will definitely never win one if I do.
    BUT.... I love cycling.
    I just don't get enough chance to go out.

Oh you will, you will...

I do most of my training in the early mornings taking the long way to work. Hard to get out at the weekend with kids and all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

About 70K. Cork - Dripsey-Coachford-Macroom and took the N22 back to Cork.

Few light showers and a hell of a head wind on the way out. Thought I was stationary once or twice.

Took just under 3 hours including phone call stop, toilet stop and several traffic light stops.

Did a hilly 2 hours yesterday ( maybe 40K ? ) so legs a little tired today......but I enjoyed it. :D

Saw a few cyclists but expected to see more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Headwind, headwind, headwind, headwind, tailwind, tailwind, tailwind, tailwind.

Averaged 22 kph for the first 2 hours and 34 kph for the second two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Awful headwind and drizzle from Dublin out to Trim - . Nice to have it behind me on the way back ..averaged 24 KPH over 98 K :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

got the head wind on the way back from navan, 45km, av of 26 which im happy with in that weather

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

rocstar wrote: »
    Awful headwind and drizzle from Dublin out to Trim - . Nice to have it behind me on the way back ..averaged 24 KPH over 98 K :)

Was out that way myself, that headwind and rain had me maniacally laughing to myself at one point! Made me yearn for next year's spring classics :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Was out that way myself, that headwind and rain had me maniacally laughing to myself at one point! Made me yearn for next year's spring classics :)

If I passed you and didn't nod it was coz I was feeling sorry for myself !

At least you could see the funny side of that weather ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great morning out there. Did a nice solo tour of dublin 5 and county dublin. Down to sutton, along the cycle track, back toward malahide through Kinsealy, out to Balheary, the back of Ballboughal, Lusk, Loghshinny, Rush, Skerries and back home via an extension back around by Howth.

Highlights were topping up the tan lines, no problems with hayfever (thank god) and being on a good day as one Sean kelly would say. Felt good al the way without pushing much.

106km in 3hrs 17 (32.3km/ph)

More weather like this please

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

did the orwell randonnee, well not the event but the route, because i'd planned to do it but won't be around that weekend. Great day for it, lovely route. Route plus onward journey = 155km for the day in just under six hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Had a fantastic cycle with the missus today. Normally she wouldn't go that far but today was the longest cycle (with her) yet. We headed out from Balbriggan and into Balrothery where we popped into Ardgillan Castle. From there we took in Loughshinny, Rush, Rogerstown, Lusk, Man O War and then back to Balbriggan through Balrothery.

We took in as many backroads and small lanes as we could find. The weather was perfect and it wasn't all that busy. It was in and around 50km, I haven't looked at the computer yet to see what the actual distance was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Great morning for it! Got 111.35km in 03:16:54 with 60 in steady, remainder easy. Pity i had to go to work then though! Took in Phoenix Park to Lucan to Dunboyne to Maynooth to Clane to Sallins to Naas and back in the N7. Happy with 33.9km/hr ave with not too much work! Gutted i had a bit of a mechanical in the last 5 mins which lost me the 34!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Nice casual spin up to Sally Gap. Amazing weather, enjoyed the views a lot, not so much the flies though. All together about 62km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Pheonix Park, 3 laps of chesterfield avenue then home. So many people walking on the cycle track looking straight at me and not moving over!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fantastic weather in the Wicklow mountains today alright, but the flies were a menace. Must get fly deterrent spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Had a fantastic ride with the missus today. Normally she wouldn't go that far but today was the longest ride (with her) yet.

We took in as many backroads and small lanes as we could find. .

...........sorry, but I read that ALL wrong :D
    .....puts away cans of beer and cycles to the hills :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

...........sorry, but I read that ALL wrong :D
    .....puts away cans of beer and cycles to the hills :pac:

ah c'mon, this isn't after hours! have some decorum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 intheshed

Tramore-Kilmeaden-Carrick on Suir -Seskin hill-Mahon bridge- Mahon falls (5min stop at top)- Kilmac - Kilmeaden- Tramore. 100k 3.5hrs. Stepping up to the 160k skt hope i will have enough Klms in the legs to finish.

Loads of flies on the copper coast during the week came back covered in them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I cycled to the mast at Kippure from Rathfarnham - about 45km in 2.5 hr.s.
    Great day for it - the views from the top were fantastic.
    The excuse for resurfacing on the Military Road was a pain though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Fantastic weather for it - although a little pink here

Went from Dundrum up to Enniskerry, across Glencree Valley (a lot of loose chippings there :() up to the Sally Gap, then down to Laragh for a quick espresso. Over the Wicklow Gap, through Valleymount, out onto the N81 the far side of Blessington - straight road home.

125kms, 4:10hrs, Avg 29.8.

I hadn't cycled more than 80kms in a few months, so happy with this. Needed to get some miles in before the Orwell Randonee, and some climbs. Very happy with the pace, although my hamstring nearly cramped up just before Blessington, that wouldn't have been nice if I'd pulled it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement