Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

keithkk16 wrote: »
    New one from myself. My first time remixing a hip hop track.

Did you consciously go for 80s electro, or is that just the way it came out?

(To clear up confusion for anyone who doesn't know. 80s electro has nothing to do with noughties electro. It was early to mid 80s American rap and hip hop club music)

Keith if you added some vinyl scratching, a few more sounds like 808 snare runs, and had a more boingy kick, some of the 80s vocal echo tricks, it would sound like an authentic 80s electro mix. Kraftwerk were also a huge influence on this music. But there are big difference in how the kick and snares were used in the music. They were using 808s and 909s, the programming in hip hop today uses those sounds but does things you couldn't physically do in the 80s - and if you do those kinds of things, it doesn't sound like the 80s.

There are some good 80s electro mixes on Youtube, they're worth listening to, like this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASvb2hplmw

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Did you consciously go for 80s electro, or is that just the way it came out?

(To clear up confusion for anyone who doesn't know. 80s electro has nothing to do with noughties electro. It was early to mid 80s American rap and hip hop club music)

Keith if you added some vinyl scratching, a few more sounds like 808 snare runs, and had a more boingy kick, some of the 80s vocal echo tricks, it would sound like an authentic 80s electro mix. Kraftwerk were also a huge influence on this music. But there are big difference in how the kick and snares were used in the music. They were using 808s and 909s, the programming in hip hop today uses those sounds but does things you couldn't physically do in the 80s - and if you do those kinds of things, it doesn't sound like the 80s.

There are some good 80s electro mixes on Youtube, they're worth listening to, like this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASvb2hplmw

Yeah it was suppose to have an 80's feel to it, but not what you're talking about in that mix. There seems to be too much going on in those tracks in that youtube link, I wanted my track to be a bit more laid back than that, If I added in more I think it would take away that laid back sound if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

New one from myself. My first time remixing a hip hop track.
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/j-dilla-pausescoobz-remix

Yeah, really good. Vocal sounds way better in your version than the original. Haven't listened on my system yet so not sure if the lower bass notes clash with the kick. Sounds a tad muddy on headphones in parts. Nice drums and a great groove in my opinion. I'm not on the same page as Labarbapostiza regarding 80s electro. Doesn't have that feel at all to me.
    One thing I'm not mad about is the synth that first comes in at 0.56. It's just the sound reminds me instantly of Calvin Harris and Dizzee Rascal- Dance Wiv Me (I like that track but the sound is a bit happy for your track I think)
    Nice job overall though. It's a Yes from me ;)

splitrmx wrote: »
    Mellow acid house type thing I did a while ago: https://soundcloud.com/splitradix/splitradix-office-acid-three-point-one

Really nice track. Great sound and lovely chilled vibe. Very early Orbital atmosphere to it. I'd agree with Keith in keeping the snare till later in the track. On the snare itself I think there's a tad too much reverb on it (not sure if you added that yourself or not) which kind of makes in stick out a bit in the mix.
    Lovely strings which adds an unexpected yet very welcome element. Something I'd definitely put on at the start or end of a party or club set even.

Yeah it was suppose to have an 80's feel to it, but not what you're talking about in that mix. There seems to be too much going on in those tracks in that youtube link, I wanted my track to be a bit more laid back than that, If I added in more I think it would take away that laid back sound if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. The stuff in the mix is heavily loaded. There was a lot of rap made at the time, using the same sounds but more sparingly. There was quite a bit of sampling, so things had a kind of "sound" of the period. This is all before Vanilla Ice, and super global bling bling hip hop and most of the music was never played on any radio beyond a few black stations in New York. They used scratching a lot, and they're technique of looping from records was to use two copies of the vinyl and cross fade between each, cueing up the record again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

mordeith wrote: »
    Really nice track. Great sound and lovely chilled vibe. Very early Orbital atmosphere to it. I'd agree with Keith in keeping the snare till later in the track. On the snare itself I think there's a tad too much reverb on it (not sure if you added that yourself or not) which kind of makes in stick out a bit in the mix.
    Lovely strings which adds an unexpected yet very welcome element. Something I'd definitely put on at the start or end of a party or club set even.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm listening again but still like the reverb on it. Anyway it was one take with a load of analogue stuff through the mixing desk so no going back and changing things now unfortunately!

splitrmx wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm listening again but still like the reverb on it. Anyway it was one take with a load of analogue stuff through the mixing desk so no going back and changing things now unfortunately!

That came out really well. I got the impression it had all been edited on a DAW.

Have you photo to show what you've got and how it's wired up?

Something a bit different here. I made a new soundcloud account because I'm only going to be uploading house and techno tracks to it, so except a bit more receptiveness with these tracks as they're built with the the dancefloor in mind.
    https://soundcloud.com/sleepsound2/sleepsound-twitch

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

broken.spacebar.sorry
    heres.my.newest.track
    no,samples,used..all,synths.
    https://soundcloud.com/kersh-2/hellorushtlesshelnname-07-s

Something a bit different here. I made a new soundcloud account because I'm only going to be uploading house and techno tracks to it, so except a bit more receptiveness with these tracks as they're built with the the dancefloor in mind.
    https://soundcloud.com/sleepsound2/sleepsound-twitch

Not bad. It's an interesting tone to the kick which I like but I'm not gone on the main synth. It's a tad metallic for my liking. The bassline has a lovely drone to it but I feel that when you first bring it in it should run for a bit longer. The sudden drop out after two notes seems a bit odd. Nice groove on the hats and good use of delay on the percussion hits.

• Advertisement

lb1997 wrote: »
    broken.spacebar.sorry
    heres.my.newest.track
    no,samples,used..all,synths.
    https://soundcloud.com/kersh-2/hellorushtlesshelnname-07-s

This one is a bit over my head I'm afraid. Some nice sounds in there (the piano is pretty cool coming from a synth) but the overall composition I don't get. Horses for courses and all that :)

I like it. It sounds like some stuff I've been listening to on Deep House/Indie House mixes on the Beatport Mixes chart (you get to listen to full mixes, you only have to pay if you download the mix). The only thing I think is "wrong" with it, is the kick sounds too aggressive for the other elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

new track from me, outrun/synthwave track. Hope you like it.

https://soundcloud.com/ravenh0lm/vanishing-point

Ravenholm wrote: »
    new track from me, outrun/synthwave track. Hope you like it.

https://soundcloud.com/ravenh0lm/vanishing-point

Nice track. How the hell do you get it to sound so loud?

Nice track. How the hell do you get it to sound so loud?

thanks. I finish the mix in Cubase and leave about 4db of headroom.
    Then is master it with Ozone 5 to get it sounding more polished/louder etc

thanks. I finish the mix in Cubase and leave about 4db of headroom.
    Then is master it with Ozone 5 to get it sounding more polished/louder etc

Nice one. I use to master my tracks in pro tools but haven't done much mastering lately as I don't like pro tools that much. I probably should be mastering my tracks though, it's just laziness on my part. Everyone seems to be using ozone 5 these days for mastering. When I was working with bands last year every sound engineer I met was telling me it was best thing going.

lb1997 wrote: »

Some nice sounds going on in there, what are you using? The arrangement of the track is a bit all over the place imo. Too many elements coming in at the start, I would try and spread them all out about.

Some nice sounds going on in there, what are you using? The arrangement of the track is a bit all over the place imo. Too many elements coming in at the start, I would try and spread them all out about.

software? ableton
    yeah your right, I should have faded them in instead of just dropping them
    thanks for feedback

Here's another one from myself under my SleepSound project. It's a bit of an early morning summer time comedown track.
    https://soundcloud.com/sleepsound2/sleepsound-daylight-decline

Liking the vibe to this one. Nice minimal start before the melody comes in.
    You need to master it though, give it some sheen and make it a bit louder

• Advertisement

Liking the vibe to this one. Nice minimal start before the melody comes in.
    You need to master it though, give it some sheen and make it a bit louder

Thanks. Just started to have a go at mastering it in ableton but ended up changing the track more lol. Might put it up the mastered version later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Thanks. Just started to have a go at mastering it in ableton but ended up changing the track more lol. Might put it up the mastered version later tonight.

Usually better off bouncing the track into audio stems and mastering that way instead of the original file

paulo6891 wrote: »
    Usually better off bouncing the track into audio stems and mastering that way instead of the original file

Is that not just mixing? I've always mastered the final mix, no stems. I'm pretty sure that's what most mastering houses do as well.

Here's that "Daylight Decline" track again. I changed it a bit, spent a bit more time mixing it and polished it up a bit overall. ps it's suppose to sound slightly gritty especially with some hats and the bassline.https://soundcloud.com/sleepsound2/sleepsound-daylight-decline

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Is that not just mixing? I've always mastered the final mix, no stems. I'm pretty sure that's what most mastering houses do as well.

Sorry, yeah you're right - the point I was trying to make was to work away from the original project as it often results in never-ending tweaking to one's production.

Here's that "Daylight Decline" track again. I changed it a bit, spent a bit more time mixing it and polished it up a bit overall. ps it's suppose to sound slightly gritty especially with some hats and the bassline.https://soundcloud.com/sleepsound2/sleepsound-daylight-decline

defo sounding better now. More punch to it

Here's that "Daylight Decline" track again. I changed it a bit, spent a bit more time mixing it and polished it up a bit overall. ps it's suppose to sound slightly gritty especially with some hats and the bassline.

I really like the track, but I have a major problem; and that being the kick is in the foreground, and the stuff I'm trying to listen to is in the background.

I really like the track, but I have a major problem; and that being the kick is in the foreground, and the stuff I'm trying to listen to is in the background.

Just had a listen to it on soundcloud, the kick is a bit heavy on the low end yeah, doesn't sound as bad on the wav through itunes, if you'd like a wav copy let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Hi guys, this is my first offering in this thread. Go easy on me!

https://soundcloud.com/mantraveba/sepia-lens

• Advertisement

jiltloop wrote: »
    Hi guys, this is my offering in this thread. Go easy on me!

https://soundcloud.com/mantraveba/sepia-lens

Some nice sounds here. The first 1.40 would fit well as a horror game music background I reckon.
    It chaanges atmosphere with the drums of course and becomes more upbeat. I would have liked to have the introduction of a snare/clap at some stage though. Nice track overall.

Advertisement