Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€65m on Irish road signs

Options
  • 08-11-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/green-light-for-plan-to-make-road-signs-more-irish-29736922.html
    – the National Roads Authority (NRA) has just spent €65m re-signing the road network – the new ones may be used when needed.

Mr Varadkar has asked the NRA to consider using them on a trial basis, but new regulations must be passed before they can be put in place.

Existing road-sign legislation stipulates that priority must be given to English place names.

"I like the new design and I do think there should be parity between Irish and English where it matters, like road signs that people see every day," Mr Varadkar said. "But it's a bit like an election poster – it's only when you put it on a road and drive past that you really know whether it works.

"I have been in touch with the NRA and they are considering putting up a few signs on a trial basis to see what people think. These would be new signs that have to go up anyway so there would be no additional cost involved."

If it goes ahead, it means that road signs will be compliant with the Official Languages Act for the first time.

Julian de Spainn, from Conradh na Gaeilge, said the idea was first mooted a number of years ago, but the last government wasn't keen.

"It's about the language. All these things make a difference. We teach children about the importance of language, and they go outside and see that English is more prevalent on road signs. It differentiates us from other countries, too, which can only be a good thing for tourism."

The NRA said it was an "interesting proposal" and while it did have bilingual signs, it "looked forward" to implementing the idea.

"This initiative is being proposed by the minister and Department of Transport, and we look forward to their direction on it," a spokesman said.

Does anyone else see this as a massive waste of time and money? I still cannot understand why we cling to this dead language so fiercely. We live in a country where people either speak both Irish and English, or just English. We don't need Irish translations everywhere. Don't get me started on the pointlessness of mandatorily teaching it in schools :rolleyes: Surely it's time we stopped fighting to keep the Irish language relevant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Oh no, not this old chestnut again - it's getting boring:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

€65 million....

As a driver, I have to say I wish they spent that money on decent road signs (as opposed to writing instructions on the roads) and invested in some reflective paint so you could still see the road markings in the dark and rain.

Different priorities, I guess. Language first, safety second.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

65 million would be better used on starting to build the new National Children's Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The man makes a good point though - every single person in this country who could make any sense of a road sign as gaeilge, could also understand it as bearla. Makes zero sense to spend €65m insuring they can understand it in 2 languages.
    Also, am I the only one who thinks spending €65m on something we MAY use if needed and even then only if the law is changed to suit - is the work of a fúcking imbecile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

If the money had to be spent to replace damaged or confusing signs, fair enough, but simply just to put Gaeilge on them? What's Irish for priorities? :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

thats a bit irish

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Didn't they only replace alot of the signs in the last few years?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That money could have been better spent on...

me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Sure who needs signs when everybody knows where they are going?

They are only of use to dem forgienders, coming over here reading our signs.

While no signs will be replaced in the short-term – the National Roads Authority (NRA) has just spent €65m re-signing the road network – the new ones may be used when needed.

It's for future signs, not for replacing the existing ones.

There is editing worthy of the Independent in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

they should have the distance in Irish in miles, and the english in kilometers

though i dont know should it be the statute mile, or the Irish mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Roads signs need to be short. Long signs or confusing signs take away drivers attention from the road for too long.
    We do not need signs with road names in Irish. It is completely and utterly pointless and offers zero benefits.
    The ONLY exception would be in regions were Irish is the primary spoken language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

65 million would be better used on starting to build the new National Children's Hospital
    Billions wasted on social welfare would help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Marvellous how people who wish to exterminate Ireland as anything other than an appendage of England find something to post about. Cromwell would be proud.

It's for future signs, not for replacing the existing ones.

There is editing worthy of the Independent in the OP.

Is it better or worse that €65m was spent on signs that we don't need right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Local town council here spent a fortune on new signs for tourist purposes, look nice but cost €100's of thousands. Then they wondered why they got no backing from the public when they tried to stop the scrapping of the council.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Marvellous how people who wish to exterminate Ireland as anything other than an appendage of England find something to post about. Cromwell would be proud.
    Oh whist, that's not what this is about and you know it. We already had bilingual signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most of them are already way too small and cluttered.Adding Irish would make them. Indecipherable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Oh whist, that's not what this is about and you know it. We already had bilingual signs.

As we do in Scotland but on any Scottish forums I visit there's hardly anyone who complains about the signs - why do the Irish have this need to belittle the langauge they started out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Would this be a case of them having x amount of money budgeted this year that they have to spend, otherwise it'll be reduced next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The new signs will display the distance to pubs to allow people to easily follow the directions they receive from locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Madam wrote: »
    As we do in Scotland but on any Scottish forums I visit there's hardly anyone who complains about the signs - why do the Irish have this need to belittle the langauge they started out with?
    Are people all belittling the language or questioning the waste of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

If for nothing else, Irish language signs should be preserved as the last refuge of the skinny Tironian et, which has been replaced everywhere else by the more voluptuous ampersand &. (of course, this shouldn't be quite so expensive.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tironian_notes

/writernerd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

humanji wrote: »
    Are people all belittling the language or questioning the waste of money?

Bit of both, it's a shocking waste of money though,
    I would love to see a referendum on whether Irish should remain compulsory in schools

Madam wrote: »
    It's not about the language. The new signs are ugly and it's harder to see the English name. The money is a complete waste too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Gmol wrote: »
    I would love to see a referendum on whether Irish should remain compulsory in schools

ha, because referenda are dirt cheap to run. :pac:

Gmol wrote: »

Same. But then of course, if we got rid of the Irish language, we'd have to commission new road signs purely in English. Wonder how much that would cost? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Muise... wrote: »
    ha, because referenda are dirt cheap to run. :pac:
    cheaper than 65million on signs

rawn wrote: »
    Same. But then of course, if we got rid of the Irish language, we'd have to commission new road signs purely in English. Wonder how much that would cost? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Don't replace them, just wait for them to be replaced naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

considering putting up a few signs on a trial basis to see what people think. These would be new signs that have to go up anyway

We're putting them up on a trial basis but we have to put them up anyway....WTF?

Advertisement