Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Was out for dinner with my girlfriend and her father and he left a tip and I noticed it was a really low amount so I subtly added more to it and he caught me and we had a big row and he made me pay for the whole meal!

oh hang on that was an episode of Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

oldyouth wrote: »
    I do this myself. It's not stingy, it's a gamble and I'm prepared to accept the results

Its like a little game! That hint of suspense as you approach your car from behind, on your way to the way to the windscreen. Did he, didnt he?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Mr. G wrote: »
    Shops that charge a fee for mobile phone credit :mad:

Yeah really, I know they don't profit off it, but I'm in the shop to buy credit, that's your chance to tempt me to buy something else. Other businesses pay a fortune in advertising specifically to get people in the door. If you can't tempt me into buying a chocolate bar, magazine, drink or whatever else you happen to be selling, that's your fault.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

a 'friend' is almost always out of credit with his phone. sure he asks then to use the phone from others.
    then, if you say 'no' he surely tries to make yourself look like the stingy one..
    don't see him often, but next time it happens he gets the no.
    buy your own f*** credit you stingy b***, using your 'friends'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Its like a little game! That hint of suspense as you approach your car from behind, on your way to the way to the windscreen. Did he, didnt he?:D

He... didn't. But, hey, the clampers did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I was in a late-bar 2 or 3 weekends back and the cubicles all had toilet-paper in the dispenser but in such a way you couldn't actually get the paper because I'm assuming the guy who does all the soap/handtowels etc. had made it that way. Lo and behold he was selling toilet paper. I still think I should email the owners or something. Lucky I checked for toilet paper first

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MOC88 wrote: »
    I was in a late-bar 2 or 3 weekends back and the cubicles all had toilet-paper in the dispenser but in such a way you couldn't actually get the paper because I'm assuming the guy who does all the soap/handtowels etc. had made it that way. Lo and behold he was selling toilet paper. I still think I should email the owners or something. Lucky I checked for toilet paper first

99 out of 100 times the paper is belonging to the place and he isn't selling it, he is just putting his tip jar out while he hands it to you. I used to always throw a few quid at these guys, until I found how much they make, and then I stopped.

If you have issues with them, or the facilities bring it to management's attention either via e-mail or via the bar staff on the night then backed up by an e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Quazzie wrote: »
    99 out of 100 times the paper is belonging to the place and he isn't selling it, he is just putting his tip jar out while he hands it to you. I used to always throw a few quid at these guys, until I found how much they make, and then I stopped.

If you have issues with them, or the facilities bring it to management's attention either via e-mail or via the bar staff on the night then backed up by an e-mail.

Yeah but when you have to ask him for it specifically its pretty bad. As I said the toilet paper was there but there was no trail to pull down if you understand. I almost gave him a dig when he handed me 5 leaves with a big glum face on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

uberalles wrote: »
    Careful to wear gloves when preparing the liquidized chilli juice and wash your hands before going to the toilet and dont touch your eyes either !

It can be put on a knife and used to cut a portion of the food.
    I did this once and it worked a treat.

Off topic but anyhow, we use a lot of chilli when cooking and I've burnt the nob off myself plenty of times from chopping chilli and forgetting to wash my hands before going to the toilet.

Plenty of times! :eek:

EDIT: I suppose you could say I'm stingy with the water! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

I got married recently and invited a good friend from work who has a rep for being stingy,he let me know he would not be staying due to the cost of staying in the hotel for the night and that he would get his wife not to drink and drive the 2 of them.

I managed to get a couple of extra free rooms from the hotel and as almost everyone else had booked there's I offered 1 to him,he told me he would not take the room as it would cost himmore as he would have to let his wife drink so he refused

To make it even better his wife won the sweepstake for how long the speeches were going to be and he pocketed the money and told everyone it was the best wedding ever as he made a profit going....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

collie0708 wrote: »
    I got married recently and invited a good friend from work who has a rep for being stingy,he let me know he would not be staying due to the cost of staying in the hotel for the night and that he would get his wife not to drink and drive the 2 of them.

I managed to get a couple of extra free rooms from the hotel and as almost everyone else had booked there's I offered 1 to him,he told me he would not take the room as it would cost himmore as he would have to let his wife drink so he refused

To make it even better his wife won the sweepstake for how long the speeches were going to be and he pocketed the money and told everyone it was the best wedding ever as he made a profit going....

So, er, how come this guy is such a good friend?

Quite frankly, he needs a toe up his arse and told to grow up with that kind of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

MOC88 wrote: »
    I was at a cocktail making class for a hen party. There was toilet roll in all the stalls. Later on when the club started the toilet attendant took all the toliet rolls out of the stalls so you had to ask her for it. Everytime I went I would ask her and not give her a tip. If looks could kill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I was at a cocktail making class for a hen party. There was toilet roll in all the stalls. Later on when the club started the toilet attendant took all the toliet rolls out of the stalls so you had to ask her for it. Everytime I went I would ask her and not give her a tip. If looks could kill :rolleyes:

What if you had already done your business and then only noticed that there was no toilet roll there? That's deplorable right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Same thing happened me. I usually get a fairly high grade in lab reports and anytime someone asks me for mine I send it on straight away. One girl in particular asks for tge quite regularly. Doesn't bother me at all.

But one time I asked her for her lab report and she sent me the worst lab report I've ever seen in my life. It didn't occur to me that she might have edited stuff out until tge next day when I seem her perfect "real" report. She hasn't gotten anything off me since :L

Something along the lines happened my friend in college, in our course we would have to keep lab reports of our tests and computer work every week, and of course one of the students in the class who would barely show asked my friend if he could borrow his lab reports, he said no bother but told him to change up the words and maybe edit a few figures.

A few days later he saw that your man didn't change a single thing copied it word for word and number for number but the worst thing was he handed up his book before my friend did so the lecture would think my friend copied from him, i'm pretty sure the lecturer knew who copied who just based on attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Hococop wrote: »
    Something along the lines happened my friend in college, in our course we would have to keep lab reports of our tests and computer work every week, and of course one of the students in the class who would barely show asked my friend if he could borrow his lab reports, he said no bother but told him to change up the words and maybe edit a few figures.

A few days later he saw that your man didn't change a single thing copied it word for word and number for number but the worst thing was he handed up his book before my friend did so the lecture would think my friend copied from him, i'm pretty sure the lecturer knew who copied who just based on attendance

What an ársehole. Straight plagiarism, he could have got kicked out of my college for that. I'd say the lecturer probably knew the score alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Hococop wrote: »

We all used to share in work in college in the first year to see how each did theirs and it all worked out well, as the years went by we didn't need to do it as much but there was one guy who kept asking for mine, most of the time i'd refuse but when I did give him my work I assumed he would change stuff. one time he was having particular difficulty with one subject and kept pestering me until I had no excuses left and gave him my work. the lecturer sent me an e-mail saying My work and another students work were identical. I wrote back to the lecturer with copies of his e-mails and texts asking me for my work. I got my full marks and he got 0

crazyderk wrote: »
    We all used to share in work in college in the first year to see how each did theirs and it all worked out well, as the years went by we didn't need to do it as much but there was one guy who kept asking for mine, most of the time i'd refuse but when I did give him my work I assumed he would change stuff. one time he was having particular difficulty with one subject and kept pestering me until I had no excuses left and gave him my work. the lecturer sent me an e-mail saying My work and another students work were identical. I wrote back to the lecturer with copies of his e-mails and texts asking me for my work. I got my full marks and he got 0

If it were a state exam, you would get 0 too, for facilitating copying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

That's a tough position but you could just as easily ended up in trouble yourself.

If people are gonna "share" someone elses work then they should have the wit and good manners to change it accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You don't need an excuse. Say no flat out. You were lucky you didn't get a 0 yourself. I'm surprised your lecturer gave you full marks, especially as it wasn't first year where people might get off with a warning and reduced marks. I know on my course if we tried that in later years we'd be told tough sh!t. Plagarism is plagerism.

Having said that, it was still a stupid and sh!tty thing for the guy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

We all used to share in work in college in the first year to see how each did theirs

Yeah, that's totally cool, we all had things we found tricky and needed to help each other with in college, I have no problem with that, especially when you're just finding your feet. This method aids learning, IME. But I have a huge problem with people scabbing lecture notes and lab reports because they're bone idle and can't be bothered to get up for their early lectures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

During rag week in college had a friend from home driving down to stay with us so I asked him to pick me up a box of beer because there was an offer in one of the shops back home.

It was €15 for the box but when he got down he charged me €17 to account for the extra petrol spent driving because of the weight of the box in the car.

I was tempted to ask him for €2 to cover the extra electricity we spent with him in the house but decided against it in case it ruined any of the craic for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

collie0708 wrote: »

A few years ago I was at a wedding of about 350 guests. We knew the couple pretty well and prior to the big day I expressed astonishment at the numbers going. The brides justification was that "sure everyone will be giving €100 anyway and the tables only cost €35 p.h." so they would be able to pay for the honeymoon out of the profit. "The wedding will pay for itself!" Apparently this was a common ploy with big weddings. I make sure never to give cash if at all possible and instead get them a nice gift. It's something they'll have for years and I'll be fcuked if they think they'll get a 'free wedding' out of it.

Pique wrote: »
    A few years ago I was at a wedding of about 350 guests. We knew the couple pretty well and prior to the big day I expressed astonishment at the numbers going. The brides justification was that "sure everyone will be giving €100 anyway and the tables only cost €35 p.h." so they would be able to pay for the honeymoon out of the profit. "The wedding will pay for itself!" Apparently this was a common ploy with big weddings. I make sure never to give cash if at all possible and instead get them a nice gift. It's something they'll have for years and I'll be fcuked if they think they'll get a 'free wedding' out of it.

Eh, did you never take into account the cost to them of setting up home after the honeymoon, which would be a typical occurrence, and therefore part with the cash with some goodwill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Eh, did you never take into account the cost to them of setting up home after the honeymoon, which would be a typical occurrence, and therefore part with the cash with some goodwill?

Setting up home? Can't say I've known many couples to get married these days that aren't already living together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

rawn wrote: »
    Setting up home? Can't say I've known many couples to get married these days that aren't already living together.

Wow really, you can't see the irony in your post? chances are with them already living together they have all the homeware they possibly need. God I hate people like you who give a gift to spite a couple even though your happy to go and partake in their big day and get a nice meal out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

So you go and pay for your meal ? That's the point of a wedding invitation now is it, to make up the numbers and ensure the bride and groom aren't too awfully inconvenienced by the financial aspect of it?
    Bollocks. If you want to invite people, make sure you can pay for them. They're not obliged to hand over a cheque to cover the cost of the plates.
    The fact is, at a wedding of 150+, the couple will probably spend no significant time with anyone but their closest friends and family. The rest is generally for show and inconsequential to them apart from maybe being able to say they had a huge wedding or to reciprocate inviting Mary ad Mick who invited your parents to their daughters wedding.
    Besides, a cheque will disappear into the hole of a bank account and will only be recorded in a notebook somewhere. A nice gift Even if it's something cheap but thoughtful) is something that can be related to the guest in 5, 10 or 20 years down the line and bring back memories of the day.

Which would you rather?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Wow really, you can't see the irony in your post? chances are with them already living together they have all the homeware they possibly need. God I hate people like you who give a gift to spite a couple even though your happy to go and partake in their big day and get a nice meal out of it.

That's exactly the point I was making :confused:

They don't want money from guests to "set up home" they want money to have a free wedding and honeymoon. Y'know, instead of having a low key wedding and honeymoon on their budget or saving up longer for more lavish wedding. Cheek of them wanting their guests to foot the bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Out of curiosity, what is a good amount to give as a gift for a wedding?

Not going off topic - am wondering what is stingy, what is ok and what is generous...

I was speaking to a lad one day who was complaining that he "didn't make much" from his wedding

Pique and rawn: there's a meeting of stingy minds there if there ever was one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Personally I think that you should be invited to a wedding to share the day with the happy couple.

If they are inviting people for the simple reason that they will make a profit on them, then that for me is the ultimate in stinge.

To effectively sell out what should be a huge day in your life to make a few euros is sad imo. whats next tickets to the birth of the first child?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement