Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In America 1 in 3 women will be sexually assualted in her lifetime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

tunedout wrote: »
    Sadly, it seems in todays world, a woman who goes out and gets very drunk and ends up riding her friend who she would never have rode otherwise considers herself to have been sexually assaulted.
    this is exactly what i meant, and it is rape as men are taking advantage of her,but then isnt it her fault she got herself into that situation in the first place basically its everyones fault and people should be educated

biko wrote: »
    A girl should be able to walk down the street naked, it still doesn't give anyone the right to rape her abdul.
    try tell that to a rapist xD to him shes just pray and if the statistics are true and i hope they are not then teres a lot of 'em out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    this is exactly what i meant, and it is rape as men are taking advantage of her,but then isnt it her fault she got herself into that situation in the first place basically its everyones fault and people should be educated
    But in that situation the man is also probably drunk so you just say its the mans fault maybe because he is drunk and wouldn't have sex with her sober he is being raped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

iv been sexually assaulted by women numerous times and im a man,playful physical contact should not be deemed assault,i have had women grab my privates hit my ass [a lot] and touch me with out my permission yet if i did this to a woman i would be in prison as a sex offender,not to mention people claiming sexual assault at every moment belittles it for genuine women that were ACTUALLY seriously assaulted!

and on a few occasions i was cornered by a group of auld ones and groped..now that did feel like a sexual assault lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's not take the women's word for it
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8107039.stm
    One in four South African men questioned in a survey said they had raped someone, and nearly half of them admitted more than one attack.The MRC spoke to 1,738 men in KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These figures are a load of balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yet another thread demonising men. Seems to be a bit of a trend lately.

Oh yeah? Well I'm seeing it from a different point of view....

Sadly, it seems in todays world, a woman who goes out and gets very drunk and ends up riding her friend who she would never have rode otherwise considers herself to have been sexually assaulted.

how is it stopped, i dont think it can, a culture that encourages girls to go out in mini-skirts is gonna have a high rape statistic don you think :/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I think people are questioning whether your statistics are valid, and whether they consider drunken antics, crossed wires between people etc... to be sexual assault.

And I think, if they do, it just diminishes the seriousness of actual sexual assault crimes. AKA. Rape, molestation,

They're doing their cause more harm than good with crazy statistics that no one believes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always wondered about the 1-in-4 group in this country too, also nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

biko wrote: »
    Let's not take the women's word for it
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8107039.stm

Different society, different culture. And a despicable one.

I'm pretty sure if I suggest gang rape to my friends I'd be ostrasised from the group, and likely reported to the garda. And rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You must not have a very high opinion of women if that's what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Oh yeah? Well I'm seeing it from a different point of view....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Abdul isn't Irish, and has some warped fcuked up view of women and sex derived from a different 'culture' where it's seems permissible to forcibly rape someone because they're wearing a skirt.

lads cop on ...we are all sexed crazed rapist monsters that want semi-gay sex with our mates lol oh and those of us that disagree with abortion are only trying to control women too...fact lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

how is it stopped, i dont think it can, a culture that encourages girls to go out in mini-skirts is gonna have a high rape statistic don you think :/

I smell a troll or perhaps based on your user name a certain attitude towards women.

If all it takes is a mini-skirt or a passed out woman for a man to regard her as fair game for rape then maybe it is similarly alright for men to be demonised.

I think you need to get a grip, Abdul. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I can't remember the last time I heard of a girl in a short skirt raping anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Something like 1 in 4 americans that study in Europe get raped during the year. Date Rape drugs are used a lot in university in America. i think americans are more likely to report sexual assaults than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

NIMAN wrote: »
    Always wondered about the 1-in-4 group in this country too, also nonsense.

You'd think but if you go back through the various threads discussing this you will discover that it is not that far-fetched.

Go through the scary or weird things that have happened to people thread and count the 'I was lucky I didn't get snatched' posts, and the people who posted those have absolutely nothing to gain from making up their stories, not even 'thanks' as there are so many of them they literally become a bit boring. If for everyone person who posted that they were nearly the victim of a child molester, there is even one child who wasn't so lucky I'd say the figures would go up to 1 in 3 or even 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Dean0088 wrote: »
    However, in the other thread, a girl said she had her ass grabbed by some drunken idiot on the street as he walked by with his mates. Obviously wrong to do but the two scenarios are light years away from one another.

Drunken idiot walking by with his mates?

Get it right.
    I don't go to nightclubs, myself. Any time I've been groped it has been in public (extra humiliation on top of the invasion of my body). I was groped at the age of 14 by two grown men in a crowd at a concert. I was groped on the street at the age of 30 by a teenager who ran up behind me and assaulted me.

I had more than my ass grabbed.

I also had to admit I've been raped after so many people scoffing that I should tell that to a real rape victim.

Sorry to interrupt the continued belittling of my experiences. Please, do go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well, if that's the case I guess the middle east must have an incredibly low rate of sexual assault and rape.

Oh, wait. It doesn't.
    "...found that 83 percent of Egyptian women have been sexually harassed in public and nearly half described the harassment as occurring on a daily basis."
    http://middleeastvoices.voanews.com/2013/03/voices-the-politics-of-egypts-rape-sexual-assault-epidemic-85138/#ixzz2R5odL9uv

In my opinion the rape of women is directly linked to their dehumanisation. The fact that some culture blame women for their own rape because of how they were dressed, in my opinion, practically encourages rape because if it's the woman's fault then it's not the man's fault. She 'led him on'. She 'wanted it'. He 'couldn't control himself'.

What really horrifies me is the number of women who are blamed for their rapes and ostracised by their families and communities, and who accept this and see themselves as dirty, marred, and culpable. I have to keep reminding myself that it wasn't so long ago that it was the same in Ireland, and that if we can change in our attitudes then, hopefully, so can other cultures.

I smell a troll or perhaps based on your user name a certain attitude towards women.

If all it takes is a mini-skirt or a passed out woman for a man to regard her as fair game for rape then maybe it is similarly alright for men to be demonised.

I think you need to get a grip, Abdul. :rolleyes:
    smell whatever u want loser whats ur point o.0

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Well, if that's the case I guess the middle east must have an incredibly low rate of sexual assault and rape.

Oh, wait. It doesn't.
    "...found that 83 percent of Egyptian women have been sexually harassed in public and nearly half described the harassment as occurring on a daily basis."
    http://middleeastvoices.voanews.com/2013/03/voices-the-politics-of-egypts-rape-sexual-assault-epidemic-85138/#ixzz2R5odL9uv

In my opinion the rape of women is directly linked to their dehumanisation. The fact that some culture blame women for their own rape because of how they were dressed, in my opinion, practically encourages rape because if it's the woman's fault then it's not the man's fault. She 'led him on'. She 'wanted it'. He 'couldn't control himself'.

What really horrifies me is the number of women who are blamed for their rapes and ostracised by their families and communities, and who accept this and see themselves as dirty, marred, and culpable. I have to keep reminding myself that it wasn't so long ago that it was the same in Ireland, and that if we can change in our attitudes then, hopefully, so can other cultures.
    thousands of women have been raped during arab springs that is true, try not to quote newspapers and tabloids but actuall studies please

and can you compare a country that ishaving soo many problems and unrest to a country like ireland ? is it fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Can we see some proper figures please? Not just some statistics that can be twisted to support people arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

and can you compare a country that ishaving soo many problems and unrest to a country like ireland ? is it fair?

I think the point is that it's nothing to do with mini skirts if it's happening in the Arab world as that is not a culture which encourages the wearing of mini skirts. Your attitude is quite sinister

the difference is that ireland is more culturally advanced abdul,if the government collapsed in the morning males would not go out raping everything that moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Didn't we discuss this to death already this week

In summary, the US 1 in 4 study is debunked nonsense, there are various views as to where groping sits on the seriousness scale but we all agree it's wrong, and were about 50 poss out from the accusation that Ireland has a rape culture

Could a mod just lock this as a duplicate thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Lou.m wrote: »
    No it isn't legally. And what to stupid thing to say.

Illinois State law defines sexual assault as:

Sexual penetration by force or threat of force or an act of sexual penetration when the victim was unable to understand the nature of the act or was unable to give knowing consent.
    (720 ILCS 5 Criminal Code of 1961 §12-13)

It covers anything from unwanted touching to rape ...

And 1 in4 women in Sweden will be RAPED...

And 1 in 4 college women in the US report surviving rape or attempted rape.
    http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php

A third of girls in the UK under 18 report being the victim of sexual violence. 16% of boys under 18 in the UK report being the victims of sexual violence.

..and anyway unwanted fondling...of course that's not serious at all is it ?

Society in Denial

And the stats of male rape in prisons are very alarming.

Slap on the bum my arse.

I get unwanted hugs from my grandmother who smells quite strange at times, to be honest she forces her hugs on me.

Does this count as sexual assault as it was unwanted touching. Then there's the countless times my work colleague taps me on the shoulder to get my attention or pats me on the back in a condescending manner. Would I have a case against these people?

I think the point is that it's nothing to do with mini skirts if it's happening in the Arab world as that is not a culture which encourages the wearing of mini skirts. Your attitude is quite sinister
    sinister in what way omg u just say something and never elaborate its ''sinister'' fair enough can you tell me how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

So far you've used mini skirts and civil unrest as excuses for rape and sexual assault.

That is what is sinister about your attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was responding directly to your claim that women who wear short skirts are, at least, partly to blame for their rapes. The fact that more than 80% of women in Egypt report being sexually harassed and assaulted would show that what you wear has little impact on whether or not you're raped, and that, conversely, women who come from cultures which traditionally cover up experience just as much, if not more, sexual assault.

Advertisement