Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In America 1 in 3 women will be sexually assualted in her lifetime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think they need some new terminology,a slap on the bum is sexual assault,most people think of something more serious when they hear the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

There is diferrent degrees of sexual assault....I wouldn't jump to a conclusion and say that 1 in 3 are severely assaulted .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Would that mean that one in every three men, give or take, is a sexual predator? Or that say one in every seven or eight is a serial sexual predator? Because 30% of all women in America is a high number and, not that I doubt the validity of your statistics or anything, it would require an awful lot of nasty men to exist. What do you suggest is the solution OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

token101 wrote: »
    Would that mean that one in every three men, give or take, is a sexual predator? Or that say one in every seven or eight is a serial sexual predator? Because 30% of all women in America is a high number and, not that I doubt the validity of your statistics or anything, it would require an awful lot of nasty men to exist. What do you suggest is the solution OP?

Not really, it could just be one highly active bum grabber touring America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Considering I know a fair few people and only a very small minority of them have experienced sexual violence I have to say these statistics are complete lies made up by people with agendas to their own extreme causes.

• Advertisement

Not really, it could just be one highly active bum grabber touring America.

Goosers are losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Considering I know a fair few people and only a very small minority of them have experienced sexual violence I have to say these statistics are complete lies made up by people with agendas to their own extreme causes.

Your ignorance is astounding. Do you really believe the majority of women who have been assaulted share this info with their entire social circle? Many people tell no-one, or tell only a partner or close friend.

And the opening line from the OP's Swedish link reads:
    Sweden has imported huge numbers of Muslim immigrants with catastrophic effect.

I stopped reading there but I'd be relatively confident the rest is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yet another thread demonising men. Seems to be a bit of a trend lately.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yet another thread demonising men. Seems to be a bit of a trend lately.

There's a difference between demonising sexual predators, and demonising men as a whole gender.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    There's a difference between demonising sexual predators, and demonising men as a whole gender.

When you say 1 in 3 US women has been the subject of "sexual violence", then no, no there isn't.

When you say 1 in 3 US women has been the subject of "sexual violence", then no, no there isn't.

That doesn't demonise any man who isn't the perpetrator of sexual violence. So no, it doesn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Sadly, it seems in todays world, a woman who goes out and gets very drunk and ends up riding her friend who she would never have rode otherwise considers herself to have been sexually assaulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I've had my ass grabbed, crotch groped etc... unwanted advances that got waaayyy to close for my liking by women.

Would not consider myself to have been sexually assaulted though.

Anyone who has their ass groped and considers themselves a 'survivor' needs to cop on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The link in the op is from an organisation called 'women against organised rape'.

They don't even have their own Wikipedia page.

Not the most trustworthy source imaginable.

Candie wrote: »
    That doesn't demonise any man who isn't the perpetrator of sexual violence. So no, it doesn't.

Of course it does FFS. If you're pulling some statistic out of the air saying that one in every three women has been attacked then logic dictates, even accounting for serial offenders, that a very high proportion of men is a violent sexual predator. I'd calling that demonising an entire gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

kneemos wrote: »
    I think they need some new terminology,a slap on the bum is sexual assault,most people think of something more serious when they hear the term.

No it isn't legally. And what to stupid thing to say.

Illinois State law defines sexual assault as:

Sexual penetration by force or threat of force or an act of sexual penetration when the victim was unable to understand the nature of the act or was unable to give knowing consent.
    (720 ILCS 5 Criminal Code of 1961 §12-13)

It covers anything from unwanted touching to rape ...

And 1 in4 women in Sweden will be RAPED...

And 1 in 4 college women in the US report surviving rape or attempted rape.
    http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php

A third of girls in the UK under 18 report being the victim of sexual violence. 16% of boys under 18 in the UK report being the victims of sexual violence.

..and anyway unwanted fondling...of course that's not serious at all is it ?

Society in Denial

And the stats of male rape in prisons are very alarming.

Slap on the bum my arse.

Of course it does FFS. If you're pulling some statistic out of the air saying that one in every three women has been attacked then logic dictates, even accounting for serial offenders, that a very high proportion of men is a violent sexual predator. I'd calling that demonising an entire gender.

I don't care what you call it quite frankly.

I care just as much about male victims as female victims and worry just as much about female perpetrators.

And what about the 16 % of boys under 18 in the uk reporting being the victims of sexual violence is that demonizing too?

In the US 1 in every 10 victims is male.
    Prison rape stats are higher....and no one even seems to care or make an effort to change that it is just accepted.

What has it got to do with their gender anyway???

And of course people are more concerned with the 'Image of men' than women and men being raped....which is why society is screwed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lou.m wrote: »
    Can we change the human species? It would be horrible to think this is just something humans do.
    No person is born civilised, it's learned behaviour that's taken us thousands of years to develop.
    I find that a very strange way of putting it. It's almost like a threat.

No it isn't legally. And what to stupid thing to say.

Illinois State law defines sexual assault as:

Sexual penetration by force or threat of force or an act of sexual penetration when the victim was unable to understand the nature of the act or was unable to give knowing consent.
    (720 ILCS 5 Criminal Code of 1961 §12-13)

It covers anything from unwanted touching to rape ...

And 1 in 4 college women in the US report surviving rape or attempted rape.
    http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php

A third of girls in the UK under 18 report being the victim of sexual violence. 16% of boys under 18 in the UK report being the victims of sexual violence.

..and anyway unwanted fondling...of course that's not serious at all is it ?

Society in Denial

And the stats of male rape in prisons are very alarming.

Slap on the bum my arse.

We've had a couple of threads on this in the past few days and it seems a lot of people think being groped = rape.

It depends on the situation.

Like a vulnerable person (child, disabled person etc...) being touched by their teacher, carer whatever obviously qualifies as sexual assault.

However, in the other thread, a girl said she had her ass grabbed by some drunken idiot on the street as he walked by with his mates. Obviously wrong to do but the two scenarios are light years away from one another.

The second one is easily brushed off in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Lies, damned lies, and statistics...

And of course people are more concerned with the 'Image of men' than women and men being raped....which is why society is screwed

I think people are questioning whether your statistics are valid, and whether they consider drunken antics, crossed wires between people etc... to be sexual assault.

And I think, if they do, it just diminishes the seriousness of actual sexual assault crimes. AKA. Rape, molestation,

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Jaysus tis an awful wirreld we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

http://www.woar.org/resources/sexual-assault-statistics.php

In the US 1 in 3 women will be sexually assaulted. In Sweden 1 in 4 women will be raped. http://frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/1-in-4-swedish-women-will-be-raped-as-sexual-assaults-increase-500/ Strangely the Muslim community in Sweden represented 77% of the reported cases. I am not sure about the statistics for male rape or child abuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics
    In the UK 16 % of boys 13- 18 have experienced sexual violence.
    In the UK one third that is 1 in 3 girls 13-18 have experienced sexual violence.

In the UK 12% of boys and 3% of girls self reported committing sexual violence against their own partners.
    Can we change society?

Can we change the human species? It would be horrible to think this is just something humans do. It is quite sick. How is it stopped?

Interesting an expert on Date rape and the narcissism of rapists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lisak
    how is it stopped, i dont think it can, a culture that encourages girls to go out in mini-skirts is gonna have a high rape statistic don you think :/

:mad:
    abdul 1995 wrote: »
    how is it stopped, i dont think it can, a culture that encourages girls to go out in mini-skirts is gonna have a high rape statistic don you think :/

I was kind of going against what the OP was saying.

But your post want to make me forget about logic and reason, come to your house, and bash your head in with a baseball bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

Dean0088 wrote: »
    :mad:

I was kind of going against what the OP was saying.

But your post want to make me forget about logic and reason, come to your house, and bash your head in with a baseball bat.
    haha your very welcome i can even give u my adress if u want then well see whos head will be bashed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    A girl should be able to walk down the street naked, it still doesn't give anyone the right to rape her abdul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

tunedout wrote: »
    Sadly, it seems in todays world, a woman who goes out and gets very drunk and ends up riding her friend who she would never have rode otherwise considers herself to have been sexually assaulted.

Sounds like a bit of personal bitterness there.

I think most women who have done that chalk it up to experience and try never to get to that level of drunkenness again, avoid the friend, and cringe whenever they remember it in the future or else they just pass it off as a WTF was I thinking moment and forget about it and resume friendly relations. I know I've done both.

There is a big difference between ending up drunk and voluntarily 'riding a friend' and ending up incapacitated by alcohol and discovering 'a friend' has taken advantage of your comatose state - when it gets to that point you realise that your friend was never really a friend.

Advertisement