Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Any of you guys ever quit smoking? I've tried so many times before but could never do it. Got too anxious.
    I'm giving it another shot now and don't feel half as bad! Not that I'm complaining. I'm feeling really motivated to quit :D things are looking good right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Any of you guys ever quit smoking? I've tried so many times before but could never do it. Got too anxious.
    I'm giving it another shot now and don't feel half as bad! Not that I'm complaining. I'm feeling really motivated to quit :D things are looking good right now :D

Oh you caught me on my way to bed, but couldn't resist this opportunity to brag about my success. Obviously you will know from my past posts that I am over 100 years old (well close) but I gave up smoking almost 12 months ago. I smoked since I was 17 but last year something changed, I was sick of standing out in the cold in the ever decreasing circle of people who smoked. I did it quietly, but used the e-cigs whenever I had a drink, still do actually, but am just tickled pink to realise it's been nearly a year.

Keep going "positive" Creep, you can do it. Its really not that hard to do and once you get into the swing of it you will just get more and more motivated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The leccy smokes are amazing for the anxiety sufferer. WELL worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Ugh. Starting new job in a few hours. Feeling physically sick at the thought of it. Worked at my last place for several years in different roles but this is an entirely new place, everything. Actually feeling a bit annoyed at it all but I can't stay unemployed forever. Eventually I'll have to start working somewhere new as I'm not so interested in going back to my old employer.

Ugh. Just hoping I have a nice easy day and get some good news around their benefits/hours as I only know my salary and number of holidays so far. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'm having a day where I just feel like a petulant teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

*deep breath* first time posting here, have been suffering with anxiety as long as I can remember and it's getting worse at the minute with a stressful job situation. I want to quit but have some unfinished projects and need the money since new jobs I've applied for to-date have all been let-downs.

I've been having a terrible day here at work, something minor but annoying set off the feeling of dread in my stomach earlier. I made a rather stupid mistake and did the right thing over it by letting the relevant people know about it. Seemingly all is ok now, and people were actually grand about it. I haven't felt such bad anxiety in recent memory, but there have been little things setting me off on an almost weekly basis and I think I just hit a very bad place earlier - it felt like the start of a panic attack if I'm honest. It didnt help that I had a crazy kind of day scheduled and the niggling worry in the back of my mind really distracted me from the task at hand. Even though I was assured things are ok, I keep thinking it'll come back to bite me in a day or two and everyone will be annoyed with me.

I managed to get through the worst and started reading some mindful techniques while breathing (just stuff i know from yoga and from a mindful yoga class I've done now and again). Beginning to feel much better and put things in perspective thankfully. Have resolved to stay away from booze, sugar and caffeine as much as possible for the next while, eat better and look after myself. After doing a bit of breathing and reading some articles I was able to feel less overwhelmed while looking at my diary for the week and realised that stuff is manageable and not impossible. I've a tendency to take on too much at times.

The work situation just feels never-ending is all. Without anything new on the horizon I feel really trapped. I only have this job for a few more months, which is great on one hand as the end is definitely in sight, but there's this annoying period of having a mountain of stuff to get through asap.

Managed to survive the first day. The place seems ok, a few things I'm not keen on but they are relatively minor. Will I see out the contract? Not sure, still considering/planning a career change sooner rather than later.

stinkle wrote: »
    *deep breath* first time posting here, have been suffering with anxiety as long as I can remember and it's getting worse at the minute with a stressful job situation. I want to quit but have some unfinished projects and need the money since new jobs I've applied for to-date have all been let-downs.

I've been having a terrible day here at work, something minor but annoying set off the feeling of dread in my stomach earlier. I made a rather stupid mistake and did the right thing over it by letting the relevant people know about it. Seemingly all is ok now, and people were actually grand about it. I haven't felt such bad anxiety in recent memory, but there have been little things setting me off on an almost weekly basis and I think I just hit a very bad place earlier - it felt like the start of a panic attack if I'm honest. It didnt help that I had a crazy kind of day scheduled and the niggling worry in the back of my mind really distracted me from the task at hand. Even though I was assured things are ok, I keep thinking it'll come back to bite me in a day or two and everyone will be annoyed with me.

I managed to get through the worst and started reading some mindful techniques while breathing (just stuff i know from yoga and from a mindful yoga class I've done now and again). Beginning to feel much better and put things in perspective thankfully. Have resolved to stay away from booze, sugar and caffeine as much as possible for the next while, eat better and look after myself. After doing a bit of breathing and reading some articles I was able to feel less overwhelmed while looking at my diary for the week and realised that stuff is manageable and not impossible. I've a tendency to take on too much at times.

The work situation just feels never-ending is all. Without anything new on the horizon I feel really trapped. I only have this job for a few more months, which is great on one hand as the end is definitely in sight, but there's this annoying period of having a mountain of stuff to get through asap.

Hey,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Just something that I have noticed in myself, if I eat badly and don't get enough sleep, the anxiety is harder to control. Over the last few months I've made changes to my diet and started making my own juices using a juicer. The other night I was feeling very stressed and anxious so I did 3 things: Did some controlled breathing, slowly in through my nose for 4 seconds then slowly out through my mouth, again for 4 seconds. I put on a comedy show on TV and I made myself a green juice and drank it (spinach, cucumber, celery, apples, lemon and ginger). Within 10-15 minutes of drinking it, my stress and anxiety had massively reduced. Within an hour, I was completely relaxed.

I'm not saying you should go buy a juicer and start juicing, but I think if you control your diet, it will drastically help. As you said yourself, cut out the sugar (this is really bad), caffeine and other processed food. In place of it, have lots of vegetables and fruit. Sugar from fruit is fine and not like sugar you put in tea or have in a bottle of coke or packet of sweets etc.

I think if I have something with sugar, then something stressful happens, my anxiety is much harder to control.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I slightly lost it at the weekend, didn't go to work for two shifts so expecting a warning over that.. Doc later to try explain what's going on, or get some sort of handle on things.. Effing disaster i am.. Ah well may be the spur to start me checking out new jobs.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭karareilly

ive been suffering from mild depression and high anxiety, for i believe 5-6 years, i then meet my boyfriend that helped me more than hel ever know, but my depression comes in waves one day be really happy and thank full the next really snappy? and sad crying for no reason as for my anxiety its got so bad recently since my long-term partner split from me, as he felt he was my minder !! iam finding it hard to leave the house and when i do and even going into a shop i feel very pannick nervous... i dont want to go on medication has any body tips on how to get control over anxiety.... any tips and advice be great thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

karareilly wrote: »
    ive been suffering from mild depression and high anxiety, for i believe 5-6 years, i then meet my boyfriend that helped me more than hel ever know, but my depression comes in waves one day be really happy and thank full the next really snappy? and sad crying for no reason as for my anxiety its got so bad recently since my long-term partner split from me, as he felt he was my minder !! iam finding it hard to leave the house and when i do and even going into a shop i feel very pannick nervous... i dont want to go on medication has any body tips on how to get control over anxiety.... any tips and advice be great thanks

Read back over the last few pages of this thread, some posters have submitted links for meditation and yoga type exercises which are proving very useful.. Diet and exercise are helpful too. You don't have to go anywhere when you leave the house, just a walk until you feel ok shopping, or buy online..

Keep posting anyway, there'll almost always be somebody around here..

Try the suggestions Kara around breathing, diet and exercise. You won't believe how much what you eat affects people mentally, not just physically. If you are not eating lots of vegetables and fruit it's going to make anxiety and depression harder to control. Also try cutting back on any processed food or foods high in sugar that you are eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hey,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Just something that I have noticed in myself, if I eat badly and don't get enough sleep, the anxiety is harder to control.

thanks so much. great you got the first day of work out of the way - ever hear the phrase that it's often easier to get a job when you already have one? No harm in keeping on searching for new ones, or upskilling while you have this job.

Felt "the dread" again this morning. Dark mornings and snooze button aren't helping, I already feel like a failure some days when I can't get up at the proper time. I am tired though. Last night was weird as I found it hard to drop off, despite reading for a good while before sleep (usually does the trick for me). I just have so much stuff going round my head.

Happily my stomach problems have improved for some reason (stress/dread/anxiety usually sets it off). I'm hoping an improved diet will help this too. A juicer isnt a bad idea at all, I'm dreadful for not eating enough fruit and veg, even though I actually like them. A friend is visiting tonight and I'm going to cook something healthy. I had a lot of nights out for various things recently and I'm sure the drinking has taken its toll too, so that's out for a while. I'm more determined than ever to go easy there (it's always very easy to give in to "just the one") as I really want to feel better again. Sugar is probably my worst vice though! I find there's a bit of a vicious circle in work as often I'm too busy/so stressed I feel ill to eat a proper lunch. Also our canteen is awful. So it's very easy to reach for sweets and chocolate as the day goes on.

Writing my first post yesterday while being aware of my breathing was a massive help. It cleared my head, I was able to focus more on my work and had a few fresh ideas about how to work through some problems.I'm going to try and post daily to have a record of how I'm feeling and coping and to help, hopefully. I'm taking a lot of deep breaths today and it's good. Also have a lot of water to drink, with a bit of Bach's flower remedies. Work isn't so bad either - a task I was dreading got postponed, it'll still have to be done but likely to be when I've less on my plate. There's a couple of jobs I now have time to apply for today - my biggest stress at the moment is the new job hunt. that in itself is a pain, and the stress of rejection or worse, not hearing anything, is annoying. Add in my current awful job situation and you can see why I feel trapped. Some days feel like Groundhog Day! These next two working weeks have a lot going on, but I'm taking them one day at a time.

Interestingly, I've had so much on these past 6 weeks that I've not been able to go to my yoga class and I think that's had a really bad effect on me. Just making the time for breathing alone helps me massively. There are some relaxy-type classes starting soon that I think I'll go to. We have a chance to go away for a night and I'm hoping to book that today. With a bit of luck it'll extend the current bank holiday weekend for me too. I'm reluctant to take too much annual leave too as might need time off for interviews, if anyone bothers to hire me! That too is a stress, it'd be fab to just be able to book a week or two somewhere. Money's tight but we have a dinner voucher treat to use, I have a massage voucher too and I hope to get out of the city and visit a friend this weekend. For the evenings when I'm home, I've a few "mental health evenings" planned, consisting of nice hot baths and a good book. Reading really helps me get away from it all, but often I'm too wrecked/distracted/worried to even get into a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

karareilly wrote: »

Hi Kara,

Its great he was there for as long as he was, genuinely no sarcasm intended. Maybe you can use it as a pillar now to become stronger and fight/accept the depression and anxiety even more. Have you anyone else close e.g. family/friends that can be supportive towards you? Can you make an appointment to see you GP or counsellor to talk about whats happened?

Loads of posts about help over the last few pages. CallMeJimmy had a great one not far back. Grem made some good points about diet but I don't agree with what he said re online shopping. It makes it too easy not to go out.

At time you need to force yourself to do things until you become used to it again. Like when you start driving, you s*it yourself the first few times, then it becomes/feels natural. Its the same with anxiety. Keep doing until it feels natural again. Remember, what could go wrong walking to the supermarket, nothing!:D

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I've been terrible the past two weeks, can't cope with anything.

I've been terrible the past two weeks, can't cope with anything.

How about a good rant :D

ulinbac wrote: »
    How about a good rant :D

I have nothing to rant about tbh, just feeling very down and depressed. I'm also feeling very anxious and flighty.

I have nothing to rant about tbh, just feeling very down and depressed. I'm also feeling very anxious and flighty.

No worries. You tried any mindfullness, talking to counsellor etc.?

ulinbac wrote: »
    No worries. You tried any mindfullness, talking to counsellor etc.?

I will soon thankfully. :)

I don't really know how to put it into words. I'm very worried and nervous that something bad is going to happen to me, or that somebody is out to ruin me in someway. It's sort of embarrassing to talk about but it's really impacting on my life in a hugely negative way. I know there's no evidence that anybody is trying to deliberately mess with my life but I still feel incredibly worried.

This might be the most depressed I've ever been. I got up out of bed only a few hours ago because I just couldn't face anybody or have to deal with the worry and anxious thoughts. Yet last week I was nice and happy. There's no real certainty in my life, I could be fine for two or three weeks then collapse for a week then be grand again, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I will soon thankfully. :)

I don't really know how to put it into words. I'm very worried and nervous that something bad is going to happen to me, or that somebody is out to ruin me in someway. It's sort of embarrassing to talk about but it's really impacting on my life in a hugely negative way. I know there's no evidence that anybody is trying to deliberately mess with my life but I still feel incredibly worried.

This might be the most depressed I've ever been. I got up out of bed only a few hours ago because I just couldn't face anybody or have to deal with the worry and anxious thoughts. Yet last week I was nice and happy. There's no real certainty in my life, I could be fine for two or three weeks then collapse for a week then be grand again, etc etc.

How has your doctor reacted to the anxieties you've mentioned? Sounds like your thoughts have exacerbated a bit since last time (I can remember your post from a few weeks back)

• Advertisement

How has your doctor reacted to the anxieties you've mentioned? Sounds like your thoughts have exacerbated a bit since last time (I can remember your post from a few weeks back)

I haven't spoken to my doctor in a while, though I will soon.

I am ok.

Physically I am close to being sent to the vet to be put down. It's the humane thing to do.

But emotionally I'm good. Good. It's nearing 3 months since cutting. I haven't had any major binges. I have done good.

I miss my therapist. She randomly pops into my head. Something will happen and I think "lol, must tell XXXX" but then I remember I don't see her any more. Which is a happy:sad moment. Bittersweet is the word! Happy I'm good; sad I'm too good to see her.

I'm seeing a new one to deal with some other stuff outside of the remit of the other therapist but we are yet to click.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Can somebody please give me a massive kick up the bum to make me go to the doctors??! I can't stop running away from the idea of dealing with my depression, blocking it out is catching up on me.
    I'm worse now than I have ever been before-argumentative, emotional and doing my boyfriend's head with my up and down-ness. I never had bad thoughts before but they're starting to creep in, and now sure how to deal with them? They seem so unfamiliar.

I have so much crap running around in my head that I need to get out, so going to a therapist seems like a good thing for me. But i'm not sure if I can afford it :confused:

I just feel like i'm completely stuck in some place with no idea of what to do or what next step I should take?
    I read everybody's posts on here and I barely know you people and I cry or I feel so proud because people are fighting this fight that i'm running away from, I want to have the courage all you guys have but can't seem to find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Can somebody please give me a massive kick up the bum to make me go to the doctors??! I can't stop running away from the idea of dealing with my depression, blocking it out is catching up on me.
    I'm worse now than I have ever been before-argumentative, emotional and doing my boyfriend's head with my up and down-ness. I never had bad thoughts before but they're starting to creep in, and now sure how to deal with them? They seem so unfamiliar.

I have so much crap running around in my head that I need to get out, so going to a therapist seems like a good thing for me. But i'm not sure if I can afford it :confused:

I just feel like i'm completely stuck in some place with no idea of what to do or what next step I should take?
    I read everybody's posts on here and I barely know you people and I cry or I feel so proud because people are fighting this fight that i'm running away from, I want to have the courage all you guys have but can't seem to find it!

Going to see the GP is definitely the first step. if you had a physical illness you wouldn't hesitate to go so depression should be no different. it is hard to get better on your own, help is there and it is worth trying at least. talking about things helps and it has to be better than torturing yourself alone with these feelings. ring and make an appointment, tell the doctor you haven't been feeling well and explain from there. best of luck

Depression is like a cancer of the mind. I think you should definitely go, it will only result in an improved lifestyle in the end and will take a weight off your shoulders.

The first step is accepting you need help. :)

I'm no good with technology but maybe someone could make this pretty and visible?

OkayWhatever: admitting there's an issue is the hardest part. But do talk to your doctor. Nip it in the bud before the creeping thoughts take over. If you can't afford therapy your gp can suggest low cost alternatives.

Hersheys, go to the doctor *boot* :P I'll be going in tomorrow morning. Trying to write down some stuff to say but getting nowhere yet. Ah well long day in the cot yet.

Hersheys, go to the doctor *boot* :P I'll be going in tomorrow morning. Trying to write down some stuff to say but getting nowhere yet. Ah well long day in the cot yet.

I might even treat meself to a trip to the doctor within the week for a chat!

I should think that everyone may need a chat with doc or someone after that rain last night. Mayhem this side of the country. I have one day to try and get words in a row that'll make sense for the doc. :-/

• Advertisement

I should think that everyone may need a chat with doc or someone after that rain last night. Mayhem this side of the country. I have one day to try and get words in a row that'll make sense for the doc. :-/

You can get there. Even just buzz words.

Rain. Pain. Gain. Drain(ed).

They don't have to rhyme.

Try sounding it out here if you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement