Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mc Donalds And Baby Changing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why are the able-bodied toilets gender-segregated but the disabled ones not?

keano_afc wrote: »
    Where did I say he should change him in the restaurant in full view of people? I thought it was obvious I was referring to going to the gents and changing him on his lap in a cubicle.

Well I've actually experienced people changing their baby at the table during my stint in McDonalds. Some people are just that thick/inconsiderate. :mad:
    I was hoping you weren't one of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

A unisex toilet allows carers of either gender to assist a person with a disability. It's a good thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well I've actually experienced people changing their baby at the table during my stint in McDonalds. Some people are just that thick/inconsiderate. :mad:
    I was hoping you weren't one of them ;)

Definitely not. I havent eaten in McDonalds in years. Eddie Rockets are no great shakes when it comes to changing facilities. It was there I've had to change our baby on my lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I would have changed the baby on one of their tables - that'll teach them :)

I have done, in the recent past. Or else on the seat beside me. No staff came near me (could ve due to the noxous nappy mind you )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I agree, this is outragous. McDonalds should change all their restaurant tables to nappy changing ones and change their logo to a nappy as well.
    We need to teach this world to put parents first, because no one else counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I also think that the OP is overreacting. There are bigger problems in this world, I definitely think that ringing Joe Duffy is unnecessary. Many people seem to survive without a baby changing area. However, there should be a separate baby changing area or a disabled toilet with a baby changing area which caters for men and women who need to change their child. I also find it hilarious that apparently Ireland is ''anti-family'', it must be the most child friendly place in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

I think all baby changing facilities should be in a seperate room, there is nothing I hate more than going into the Ladies toilet to be confronted with a disgusting dirty smelly nappy been taken off a baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I also think that the OP is overreacting. There are bigger problems in this world, I definitely think that ringing Joe Duffy is unnecessary. Many people seem to survive without a baby changing area. However, there should be a separate baby changing area or a disabled toilet with a baby changing area which caters for men and women who need to change their child. I also find it hilarious that apparently Ireland is ''anti-family'', it must be the most child friendly place in the world.

Why the hell do bigger problems in the world mean that small ones should be ignored? Suppose your parents were murdered by your neighbours with an axe. You ring the police and they say "Well, there's a famine in sudan and 2 million people are at risk, an earth quake in Pakistan with 100,000 people still missing and currently malaria is killing 10,000 people a day, so we won't be down to your house"
    Extreme example I know, but the "bigger problems in the world so ignore anything small" argument is so stupid it pisses me off.
    Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I think the OP is both overreacting and underreacting. There's much more he could've done to actually get somewhere with his complaint instead of just walking out. But then was it really that big a deal to have to do it in the car?

You can't dismiss the reasoning of demand so easily. As pointed out already, demand is what drives business. It just doesn't make sense for a business to invest in something that isn't legally required or financially beneficial. There can't be that many fathers wanting to change their babies and coming across this problem, else we'd have heard about it by now surely. or McDonalds would have baby changing facilities to please both genders, because it'd be bad for business for them not to.

Plus you're talking about a building that's already there, they likely can't just knock through to the next building to accommodate extra facilities like this.

If you really think this should be fixed, then I suggest you all write to McDonalds requesting that these facilities be provided. Nothing else will result in any changes here. While you're at it, write to all the establishments that you discover don't have baby changing facilities.

• Advertisement

Let me rephrase then. Most people have bigger problems to occupy themselves, I wish that a lack of baby changing facilities was my biggest problem. :rolleyes: Great comparison between murder and nappies, definitely in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

IrishAm wrote: »
    Children should be banned from all restaurants and bars.

Problem solved.

:)

But then who would eat all the happy meals?

IrishAm wrote: »
    Children should be banned from all restaurants and bars.

Problem solved.

:)

Heres a better idea. People that hate kids should stay away from mcdonalds

agreed on the bars though

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Let me rephrase then. Most people have bigger problems to occupy themselves, I wish that a lack of baby changing facilities was my biggest problem. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the OP has bigger problems too but at that particular time the most pressing problem he had was trying to change his baby. What's so hard to grasp about that?
    Great comparison between murder and nappies, definitely in the same league.

It was an analogy and personally, I found it a particularly succinct one. However it's all about each person's capacity to understand it. Try reading it again with an eye to inferring meaning appropriate to the OP's circumstances. You might be surprised that it isn't as straightforward as you thought.

Best of Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

yeah exactly, they're a fastfood outlet, not a creche

They're a fast food outlet that has pitched themselves as being family friendly both in terms of facilities,food and value. Arguably their biggest business is families going in and buying over-priced happy meals with cheap bits of plastic. They make a big deal of helping local children through their Ronald McDonald House thing.

It's not a creche,the OP wasn't looking for Maccers to mind his child,just somewhere where he could change a nappy in relative comfort and privacy. It's not too much to ask for imo from a supposedly family friendly establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Here's a link to the contact page of McDonalds Ireland. you can phone them or email them, or post a hand written letter. Their head office is in Clonskeagh in Dublin.

Perhaps if you read my posts correctly then you would understand them, but thank you for being very patronising. Let me try this once again so you may try to understand it. I do not believe that being unable to access baby changing facilities is a pressing problem, in fact I wouldn't even consider it a problem at all. Plenty of people have replied to the OP suggesting that he could change the child on the counter in the bathroom, on his knee in the cubicle (which they had to do because they didn't have facilities and they also did not whinge about it). It was a terrible analogy, ridiculously dramatic and it just reinforced my point. Perhaps if the OP's parents had been murdered then he wouldn't be complaining about needing to urgently change his child's nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the only solution is this, all bars and restaurants in the interest of fairness to cater for everyone should have:

mens
    womens
    disabled mens
    disabled womens
    mens with changing facilities
    mens without changing facilities for people who hate kids
    womens with and without for same
    mens with kids in tow who are girls who dont want to use the ladies
    womens with kids in tow who aer boys who dont want to use the mens

its the only way to be fair :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    the only solution is this, all bars and restaurants in the interest of fairness to cater for everyone should have:

mens
    womens
    disabled mens
    disabled womens
    mens with changing facilities
    mens without changing facilities for people who hate kids
    womens with and without for same
    mens with kids in tow who are girls who dont want to use the ladies
    womens with kids in tow who aer boys who dont want to use the mens

its the only way to be fair :pac:
    What about a male disabled person with a female carer?

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What about a male disabled person with a female carer?

hmm, best add that to be sure, and the reverse. or what about people with gay kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Dont forget transsexuals with gay midget children.

What if a person was born with both male and female genatalia who was gay and they were a carer for a disabled male who was in a car crash and cock and balls came off as a result, but before the crash they thought they were a female trapped in a mans body, and they needed their nappy changed.
    What about them?

What if a person was born with both male and female genatalia who was gay and they were a carer for a disabled male who was in a car crash and cock and balls came off as a result, but before the crash they thought they were a female trapped in a mans body, and they needed their nappy changed.
    What about them?

they can go to supermacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

What about them?

You mean there isnt already facilities for these people ????

I feel sick, I mean in this day and age to discriminate against these people because they were:

born with both male and female genatalia who was gay and they were a carer for a disabled male who was in a car crash and cock and balls came off as a result, but before the crash they thought they were a female trapped in a mans body, and they needed their nappy changed.

I mean its just not right. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Most places don't want parents/kids in basically. Give places that do your custom.

stovelid wrote: »
    Most places don't want parents/kids in basically. Give places that do your custom.

can't really accuse McDonalds of not wanting kids in, they perfecting marketing crappy food to children into an artform.

krudler wrote: »
    can't really accuse McDonalds of not wanting kids in, they perfecting marketing crappy food to children into an artform.

I guess they just need to work on their strategy for dealing with the defecated end-products now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Zhane wrote: »
    no. i left cause i literally just wanted to get out of there

So you complain on boards.ie rather than to someone who could have helped the situation? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Let me rephrase then. Most people have bigger problems to occupy themselves, I wish that a lack of baby changing facilities was my biggest problem. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I wish that a lack of baby changing facilities was my biggest problem. :rolleyes:

I wish it was too.

Advertisement