Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to New Ross to be revived

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just make a greenway out of it already. Oh right...no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

Just make a greenway out of it already. Oh right...no money.

Big news last week...CIE approved the conversion to a greenway, along with the Red Bridge outside New Ross. It's all on the Wexford Echo and New Ross Standard websites (can't post links).

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Big news last week...CIE approved the conversion to a greenway, along with the Red Bridge outside New Ross. It's all on the Wexford Echo and New Ross Standard websites (can't post links).

Here is the link deise

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/3m-red-bridge-walkway-boost-30847046.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

That's disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

man98 wrote: »
    That's disappointing.

What else would you do with it? the line has been disused for many years, New Ross is a small town with very little to offer in the way of passengers or freight. It's not as if it's the Rosslare line biting the dust (finally)

• Advertisement

Just an abandonment order from CIE to formally wash their hands of it I would imagine.
    Money still has to come from somewhere to develop it. Still a greenway is more realistic than putting it back as a working railway or some of the more laughable preservation ideas that have been floating about over the last 2 years or so.

Well what good would a green way do. I don't see the merit of them.

Well what good would a green way do. I don't see the merit of them.

Oh just little things like encouraging local people to get up and about without risking getting a slap from a car, maybe attracting people to the area who otherwise might not, and God forbid, may even spend money locally?

Preferable to having big trees growing up through it.

I have walked it, looked like a complete mare to work, built on the cheap with rollercoaster-like sharp bends and steep gradients.

If they want to get up and about use the Enniscorthy line ;) . And there won't be many going up the line on a wet day in November ...

you obviously know little of the cycling and walking fraternity. I suggest you google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

corktina wrote: »
    What else would you do with it? the line has been disused for many years, New Ross is a small town with very little to offer in the way of passengers or freight. It's not as if it's the Rosslare line biting the dust (finally)
    well in fairness i can't see hords of cyclists coming to it either. nothing of sceenic beauty along there i believe.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

corktina wrote: »
    you obviously know little of the cycling and walking fraternity. I suggest you google
    oh i think he does. even as a greenway the line has little to encourage people to cycle along it. for a local amenity it might do but i'd be very surprised if it got anything more then a few locals

It's not just about the scenery though. It's a way of life for the cycling/walking people...they do it for it's own sake.

New Ross is quite a tourist town now, with the famine ship to visit (and the Red Bridge part of the plans should be spectacular) and Waterford a major centre too...that people may want to visit both is very likely and they may choose to cycle or walk from one to the other. It's actually quite a pleasant part of the Country.

New Ross isn't great, the highlight of it probably bring that apartment block without the roof. Also it would have to stop well outside of Waterford because of the Rosslare line. And I've been along the line, someone's built a shed on it.

Amazingly nowadays bikes and pedestrians can use normal roads as well as Greenways. New Ross may not be Las Vegas but with a Greenway it might improve some bit. Greenway better than a disused derelict railway isn't it?

New Ross isn't great, the highlight of it probably bring that apartment block without the roof. Also it would have to stop well outside of Waterford because of the Rosslare line. And I've been along the line, someone's built a shed on it.

'Well outside Waterford'....In fairness, it's hardly light years from the city centre, assuming one managed to cycle all the way from New Ross.

The countryside around there is pretty, not spectacular, but what do you expect...herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically over the savannah?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

It would stop at the abbey in Ferrybank, 52.263791,-7.101567 on Google Maps. This is very near the city, even more so when a pedestrian bridge is eventually built 200m away.

Even if nothing more comes out of this project in the next 5 years, it'll be great to have plans in place, ownership issues resolved and have the route protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Short piece about turning into a greenway on RTE

https://amp.twimg.com/v/c4a1bb45-d77b-44a0-bc7a-7d30e9981d23

Short piece about turning into a greenway on RTE

https://amp.twimg.com/v/c4a1bb45-d77b-44a0-bc7a-7d30e9981d23
    is there anything worth cycling to see on that route?

What do you expect in the South East Wexford/Kilkenny region? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the Seringeti?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon. :D

I'd cycle along it in the hope of seeing an 071 on the track :pac:

What do you expect in the South East Wexford/Kilkenny region? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the Seringeti?
    considering i live in the bluddy place, no . i however have never been along that particular route so wanted to know was there anything worth seeing if it was to open as a greenway. is that okay with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Torquay perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Bungalows. Apparently Wexford has one of the highest numbers of one-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,104 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Greenways aren't really about scenery. More to do with safe walking and cycling. As for this plan, I'm all for greenways once there's legal provision made for converting it back to a working railway in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

There is nice views, https://www.flickr.com/photos/73238117@N02/8637549953/ and here https://www.flickr.com/photos/73238117@N02/8637544943/in/photostream/ these views are near Glenmore.

Regards
    hg

Advertisement