Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You could have a separate TOC with separate drivers, conditions and all the rest of it.

The issue I would be concerned about would be the coordination of trains between different operators across infrastructure with different owners. Who would actually manage this hybrid network? I do not doubt that it can be done, technically speaking, but the politics would be rather difficult.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You could have a separate TOC with separate drivers, conditions and all the rest of it.

The issue I would be concerned about would be the coordination of trains between different operators across infrastructure with different owners. Who would actually manage this hybrid network? I do not doubt that it can be done, technically speaking, but the politics would be rather difficult.

I would have thought automating the trains would have a better outcome. No driver, just a conductor/ticket checker who closes the doors, checks tickets, sorts out anti-social types, etc. If there can be autonomous cars, automated trains would be a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I can't see Irish Rail ever having automated trains in the next 40-50 years. A Dublin Metro certainly could, however.

Side note: automation is the reason why it's criminal how underestimated the importance of a computer science education is to our youth. Every primary school kid should be learning coding, no exceptions. We're going to a reach a point where legacy careers like taxi driver, bus driver, train driver, etc. no longer exist, and we're not preparing for that either on a familial level (my wife is involved with STEM and finds it really hard to get parents of kids from "working class" areas to care at all, especially for girls) or on a governmental one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Look at crossrail - they just got their heads down and got on with it & that project is exponentially more complex than Dart underground - seems what we do best is just talk and talk about a project without actually doing anything.

Crossrail was cancelled in 1995 over cost concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

DARTu can easily be given to TII to operate. By the time it opens, the operation of DART services can be tendered out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I would prefer if TII were given the remit of design and implementation of DART Expansion, and Irish Rail given the operational contract for now.

If DART Underground tunnel is ready for 2028 for example, who knows how alive CIE will be by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »
    DARTu can easily be given to TII to operate. By the time it opens, the operation of DART services can be tendered out.

All great in theory, but they already tried that with Dublin Bus drivers and look what happened.

What would happen all of the existing DART drivers and their pay & conditions for a start?

The politics of this are phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

marno21 wrote: »
    I would prefer if TII were given the remit of design and implementation of DART Expansion, and Irish Rail given the operational contract for now.

If DART Underground tunnel is ready for 2028 for example, who knows how alive CIE will be by then.

Do we reinvent the wheel again?

Irish Rail have already designed the entire scheme multiple times over - I imagine Peter Muldoon could do it in his sleep by now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Do we reinvent the wheel again?

Irish Rail have already designed the entire scheme multiple times over - I imagine Peter Muldoon could do it in his sleep by now.

Nah, we just don't build it!

Seriously that is all that will happen if it remains a CIE project. The government just has lost all faith with CIE, which is why (note a FF government) took Luas off CIE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Norrie Thomas

bk wrote: »

Seriously that is all that will happen if it remains a CIE project. The government just has lost all faith with CIE, which is why (note a FF government) took Luas off CIE.

DART Underground and the Airport heavy rail link must be built. If the governents transport policy is as it appears to be, built around how to shaft CIE then we are all really being run by a bunch of semi house-trained bus obsessed hamsters.

To resolve this TII should take the entire heavy rail infrastructure. New operators needed to run DART/Dublin Commuter Rail, rail freight, Intercity and regional rail. There are some very efficient operators out there such as MTR, Abelio and Translink.

• Advertisement

DART Underground and the Airport heavy rail link must be built. If the governents transport policy is as it appears to be, built around how to shaft CIE then we are all really being run by a bunch of semi house-trained bus obsessed hamsters.

To resolve this TII should take the entire heavy rail infrastructure. New operators needed to run DART/Dublin Commuter Rail, rail freight, Intercity and regional rail. There are some very efficient operators out there such as MTR, Abelio and Translink.

Translink? The Northern Irish Translink? No no no no no no no

MJohnston wrote: »
    Translink? The Northern Irish Translink? No no no no no no no

Better than what's there now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

bk wrote: »

While at the same time, FF were pumping lots of money and promises to the CIE unions. If you want to talk about Governmental and political decisions in relation to CIE, don't start with such a basic opinion. Im no FG supporter, but FF failed on many levels to deconstruct CIE. They brought us to where we are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

cgcsb wrote: »
    Crossrail was cancelled in 1995 over cost concerns.

Huh?

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/elizabeth-line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If the governents transport policy is as it appears to be, built around how to shaft CIE then we are all really being run by a bunch of semi house-trained bus obsessed hamsters.

So obsessed are the Government with buses, they plan to build a Metro.

donvito99 wrote: »

2026? Yup that's some plan alright.

Banjoxed wrote: »

Long enough away for the next government to postpone it. I'll believe it's happening when they actually start to build it.

I think he's pointing out that Crossrail isn't something anyone should point to as "they got their heads down and got on with it" as it has been realistically in the pipeline since 1989 (and arguably first mooted back in the 40s!)

Better than what's there now

They could arguably called "better" on a sliding scale, relatively speaking, but they aren't in any way, shape, or form a good operator. It would be replacing like-for-like, in comparison with some of the more competent operators out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

And Dart Underground + Airport Spur will be completed before that time?

• Advertisement

And Dart Underground + Airport Spur will be completed before that time?

Probably not!

I think we're all expecting that Dublin Metro will be accelerated ahead of that previous 2026 schedule around the coming budget.

I think we're all expecting that Dublin Metro will be accelerated ahead of that previous 2026 schedule around the coming budget.

I'm not. The Powers That Be in the Department of Finance will run interference on any suggestion of that.

The Department of Finance is headed by someone who stands to gain a lot from the acceleration of the Metro schedule. And there has already been lots of suggestion that this will happen, I'm not pulling it out of my arse.

The Department of Finance is headed by someone who stands to gain a lot from the acceleration of the Metro schedule. And there has already been lots of suggestion that this will happen, I'm not pulling it out of my arse.

I don't doubt you. But lets not forget the permanent government who have slowed up every rail project since DART in the seventies.

We've talked about this lots on the Metro North thread, but there are more compelling reasons to believe it will be pushed up beyond the direct benefits of the infrastructure existing - in particular it's a vital way to help with the housing crisis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Grandeeod wrote: »
    While at the same time, FF were pumping lots of money and promises to the CIE unions. If you want to talk about Governmental and political decisions in relation to CIE, don't start with such a basic opinion. Im no FG supporter, but FF failed on many levels to deconstruct CIE. They brought us to where we are now.

I would say both are linked. FF were great at throwing a few bob at unions to keep them quiet, all while working to undermine them at a more fundamental level behind the scenes. I think both FF and FG simply see CIE as far too powerful and too much outside their control for their liking. Ongonig strikes are simply a pain in the arse for them.
    The Department of Finance is headed by someone who stands to gain a lot from the acceleration of the Metro schedule.

Plus, in the end, Finance will do whatever the Taoiseach directs them to do. And Leo has been banging on about Metro North since before he was elected. It really seems to be priority number one for him.

With both the Taoiseach and Minister for Finance likely to benefit from it, it is hard to see it not getting fast tracked.

Paschal's newsletters are constantly talking about transport, even though he left that ministry ages ago. I think he knows it's a vote winner nearly literally in his backyard, and I'm sure he has taken all the positive benefits for Dublin into account too at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The y plan on blowing hundred of millions on pathetic brt lines. At the same time e80,000,000 to cut platform lengths by one third on a 2,5,000,000,000 scheme is a genuine proposal. It's pathetic ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The y plan on blowing hundred of millions on pathetic brt lines. At the same time e80,000,000 to cut platform lengths by one third on a 2,5,000,000,000 scheme is a genuine proposal. It's pathetic ...
    One of which is to run parallel to Metro North, to provide cover whilst they redesign Metro North to make it more cost efficient.

The mind ****ing boggles.

Advertisement