Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too old?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Nea wrote: »
    I will only stop listening when they are putting me in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

grumpynerd wrote: »
    The Gallery is...

AMAZING!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Now listen up here, this is how it's done:

Nothing can touch this, not even Led Zep. Nothing on earth comes even close.
    The only band I look forward to the keyboard solo rather than guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

If you're not enjoying the music any more then stop listening to it. That's the only reason to stop, not based on some arbitrary age.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭grumpynerd

Im also having a bit of a crisis about heavy metal and illuminism of various shades. Its a long deep rabbit hole.

The new mastodon album reeks of it. Tony Mcalpine - eyes of the world is positively creepy. Even green day look very different from a certain point of view. Hence my sudden dislike of the gallery, although in this case I always did think it was a bad album.

Maybe the music industry illuminism thing doesn't matter. Maybe its a rite of passage to realise how beset with competing ideologies music really is.

I thought heavy metal was 'pure' but when you know the codes, it's all very creepy how things seem very 'different'....

Maybe reality is exactly as dualistic as it seems when you're a child. Maybe it IS all manichean after all.

Hmmmm, not sure where to go with it all now. I mean I always knew about warners/rockefeller, led zeppelin, zz top, the beatles etc....but it all seemed retarded and trivial. But it's kinda hard to find music that ISNT eh a bit 'involved'

Maybe I was just naieve all these years.

• Advertisement

If you're not enjoying the music any more then stop listening to it. That's the only reason to stop, not based on some arbitrary age.

Not a fan of 'enjoyment' as a decision-maker.. Brain chemistry life experience ageing generally all feed into musics relevance or depth or longevity.

Things change. I never thought I'd move 'away' from some stuff though. is anything timeless?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Im also having a bit of a crisis about heavy metal and illuminism of various shades. Its a long deep rabbit hole.

The new mastodon album reeks of it. Tony Mcalpine - eyes of the world is positively creepy. Even green day look very different from a certain point of view. Hence my sudden dislike of the gallery, although in this case I always did think it was a bad album.

Maybe the music industry illuminism thing doesn't matter. Maybe its a rite of passage to realise how beset with competing ideologies music really is.

I thought heavy metal was 'pure' but when you know the codes, it's all very creepy how things seem very 'different'....

Maybe reality is exactly as dualistic as it seems when you're a child. Maybe it IS all manichean after all.

Hmmmm, not sure where to go with it all now. I mean I always knew about warners/rockefeller, led zeppelin, zz top, the beatles etc....but it all seemed retarded and trivial. But it's kinda hard to find music that ISNT eh a bit 'involved'

.... are you talking about the Illuminati?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Emmmm OK...WTF? You've lost me here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

If you loves your metal like I loves me metal.....
    Not an age thing. I still love metal but I have to say I have not really gotten into many new metal bands in the past decade or so.

Emmmm OK...WTF? You've lost me here!

Well:
    Not a fan of 'enjoyment' as a decision-maker.. Brain chemistry life experience ageing generally all feed into musics relevance or depth or longevity.

Things change. I never thought I'd move 'away' from some stuff though. is anything timeless?

That lost me. :pac:
    Does it mean Mr Grumpy listens to music not because he enjoys it, but because he has come to an intellectual decision that whatever he's listening to is the right thing, regardless if he likes it or not?
    I have to say it is an unusual decision making process, but I'm not knocking it, maybe he gets to listen to stuff he might otherwise might have dismissed? If it works for him, I salute you Grumpy! :D
    I prefer something slightly more melodious. Like the long, drawn-out death rattle of a man suffering from terminal flatulence. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

All very true, I certainly listen to music now that I would not have listened to when I was younger but that doesn't mean that I have to stop listening to the music I listened to when I was a teenager. For instance I certainly wouldn't claim that Twisted Sister "Be Chrool To Your Scuel" has the same resonance now as it did in 1985 but I can still sing along to it and enjoy the experience. I can also enjoy the emotional depth of Wagner in a way that I couldn't before gaining a degree of life experience and of course enough German to understand his lyrics without needing to have them translated.
    All that being said ultimately I listen to both of them (and AC/DC, Vivaldi, Johnny Cash, Mary Black etc) because they give me pleasure on different levels. I can see no good reason to listen to music one doesn't enjoy, life is simply too short for that.

You're never too old for this:
    (Just try to find anything even half as fun as this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

This study is regarding popular music rather than music in general. The article title is completely misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Harrocks wrote: »
    Bought Deliverance and Wiseblood C.O.C albums in my 20s.Going to see them live in a few weeks in my 40s.Olde Never to Olde......

Same as!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Reckon you're never too old , im 40 now and still listen to slayer , motorhead etc on a daily basis driving .

I would agree with earlier poster about not really liking any new bands in last 10-12 years bar trivium for some reason .

But go to any metal concert and you will see the 40-60 year olds down the back who still love their thrash riffs ! I meet a guy from galway at every slayer concert i go to and hes 58 !!

yes but if you're keeping up with Metallica Slayer & Trivium it sounds like you were only ever a 'surface' listener.

Those bands have been dad rock for a while now. Like people who go to see Metallica at Marlay park once every decade.

That sounds more critical than I mean it. This is kind of about a deeper levelof music and metal fandom than bands like the above or Cannibal Corpse or Ramstein who've always had the touch of fibbers about them.

I'm not sure whether music is what I thought it was for a long time in terms of random weird semi-hidden memes. Also, the key thing of getting older than the guys were when they made their best albums is quite disorienting.

Also, what do you think about people being quite old and still being legitimately into the beatles, folk,blues,jazz, and clasical?

It seems metal and rock re the most vulnerable to time passing?

.... are you talking about the Illuminati?

yup. Never gave a **** until seeing how it's all a lot realler than you might think. Not that it affects me on a psychological or spiritual level, but it's aggravating that even metal isn't impermeable.

The last two Mastodon albums especially are very suspect, sadly.

Well:

That lost me. :pac:
    Does it mean Mr Grumpy listens to music not because he enjoys it, but because he has come to an intellectual decision that whatever he's listening to is the right thing, regardless if he likes it or not?
    I have to say it is an unusual decision making process, but I'm not knocking it, maybe he gets to listen to stuff he might otherwise might have dismissed? If it works for him, I salute you Grumpy! :D
    I prefer something slightly more melodious. Like the long, drawn-out death rattle of a man suffering from terminal flatulence. :p

Sometimes I've gone with something on an instinctive level and not had a proper look at the whys of it. But mostly I tend to layer objective analysis, cultural situation and personal resonance to choose what's 'good' and what's not good.

Of course this feeds nicely into the ROCKefeller & TavistockROCK crisis I'm going through now, when you really understand the counterculture and what it was all for.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Ok some weird stuff here now , without adding to the conspiracy theories id like to say cannibal corpse have less musical talent than any garage band you might cone across , pure ****e in fairness , slayer are fast n heavy but back it up with great music n lyrics n riffs , motorhead cause they're loud and the music is class too .

I like most metal , always have but ****e like slipknot , cannibal corpse , cradel of filth i could do myself with an 8 track recorder !

• Advertisement

Ok some weird stuff here now , without adding to the conspiracy theories id like to say cannibal corpse have less musical talent than any garage band you might cone across , pure ****e in fairness , slayer are fast n heavy but back it up with great music n lyrics n riffs , motorhead cause they're loud and the music is class too .

I like most metal , always have but ****e like slipknot , cannibal corpse , cradel of filth i could do myself with an 8 track recorder !

actually those bands are excellent players, it's just their style and their agenda that irk me. I'm down with almost every 'philosophy' informing music, but when you realise music and books and CULTure are basically a public relations wing of the freemason agenda....when you know how to look it's actually appalling how infused metal is with Masonic lyrics,art, and symbolism.

No less that 6 album covers have certain 'symbols' photoshopped onto they guys faces in the band photos.

Bury your dead
    zonata
    sepultura
    tourniquet
    between the buried and me
    Cast
    3rd eye blind (obvious one)
    arch enemy

I mean I always knew bands like bat for lashes, the freemasons, lady gaga et but mainstream and obscure metal too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd hide masonic symbols on my album just for the laugh and see if people notice

i'd hide masonic symbols on my album just for the laugh and see if people notice

Im too old for agendas and having to second guess every damn thing when it comes to my music. Im down with all the left hand path teenage satanism shtick you get in metal but all the veiled masonic **** really ****s with me because it's hidden. Id didnt buy an apple that's an orange. I'd have bought a damn ****ing orange if Id wanted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

For me I find the older I get the more I am enjoying the various genres I listen to. Stuff I felt was "too extreme" in my earlier days I find perfect now..

For me I find the older I get the more I am enjoying the various genres I listen to. Stuff I felt was "too extreme" in my earlier days I find perfect now..

Same here, I seem to be enjoying some the heavier stuff more now than I did in my youth. The new Cattle Decapitation tune has piqued my interest in their new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

Same here, I seem to be enjoying some the heavier stuff more now than I did in my youth. The new Cattle Decapitation tune has piqued my interest in their new album.

That band has come on leaps and bounds with their last couple of releases. Serious drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Too old to like whiatyou like. Daft notion!

Funny. I was at the Sacred Reich reunion show in Whelan's there a couple of years ago. Everybody was having a blast. All too old. The band was too old as well. Great craic.

Look. It's not like metal has been around long enough for it to have produced successive generations of people who decide they're 'too old'. I started listening in the 80's. I still do. If we all stop, it sets a precedent. Kids who are listening now will either be too old, or not, in the future. It's for us to decide.

Do it for the kids!

Side note: Nu metal nearly did it for me. The 90s were broadly crap. I nearly did decide I was too old then. DJs and silly masks? Ask me arse. I made it through though. Still here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Metal is an old person's genre, it's like jazz now, its heyday was in the 70s, 80s and 90s, now it's all hip hop and sing songwriters for young people. Playing Devil's Advocate here, metal will never die just as jazz etc will continue because these genres have musical worth that transcends time and that's why age is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you ever find yourself out....

YOU WERE NEVER REALLY IN!!!!!

*Overly dramatic devil laugh*

• Advertisement

Metal is an old person's genre, it's like jazz now, its heyday was in the 70s, 80s and 90s, now it's all hip hop and sing songwriters for young people. Playing Devil's Advocate here, metal will never die just as jazz etc will continue because these genres have musical worth that transcends time and that's why age is irrelevant.

I think its come round full circle, from rock to metal and punk, now look what's mainstream, fxuking wet blanket bed wetter music, its all so polite and nice, we're back in the 50's, Pat Boone and Doris Day dressed up a little raunchier.
    A band like the Sex Pistols, how far would they get? Gone are the days when you just hired the biggest nutters and hoor millions of kids buy it, its all carefully manufactured and controlled.
    Simon Cowbell has done to music and I don't even want to finish the Hitler analogy.
    Are kids into anything heavy? Not many I would say. Yes, there's still a metal scene, but is it still the same fans since the 80's/90's?
    When I went to school, it was Iron Maiden, AC/DC and so on, now people like to sit at home and drool into their popcorn while watching X Factor.
    In other words, where's dem new metal fans at?
    Obvious old crank alert here. :)

Advertisement