Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too old?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

When youre older than the guys were when they made your favourite albums is it time to move to jazz and classical?

Im not sure you can be 33 and still mad into death and carcass and sepultura....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

grumpynerd wrote: »
    When youre older than the guys were when they made your favourite albums is it time to move to jazz and classical?

Im not sure you can be 33 and still mad into death and carcass and sepultura....

yes it is, the older is get he more hardcore i get, and i love it

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭grumpynerd

I dunno it seems like teens and twenties are the years for caring about cds and electric guitars and angry music about deep stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

^^^^^^^^
    I agree with this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

why not?
    and there is nothing wrong with classical btw although jazz is stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Never!!! I'm 42 this year and not only do I still love listening to all this stuff, I try and get together with a few similarly aged friends every now and again for a jam in my garage.
    Sad, possibly, great fun, yes and also a great way to get away from it all for an hour or two!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

montec wrote: »
    Sad, possibly

Not at all. People might judge, but fúck them You're doing something constructive that you enjoy that doesn't hurt anyone. Rock on!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Age is just a number. It shouldn't define what you enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're only as old as the girl your favourite rock star was banging when he OD'd on heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nope!

Why would I suddenly go "I guess I'll start listening to some other genre I don't like because I've reached some arbitary age"? Why wouldn't I continue to enjoy what I enjoy?

What happens at age 33 anyway? Is there some biological process that occurs where you can't like Rammstein any more? I think this might need more research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I'm nearly 29 and I didn't start listening to Carcass until about a year ago.

Oh noes I'm doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Sadly for me 40 is well in the rear-view mirror at this stage.

If you asked me when I was in my twenties whether I would still be listening to metal in my forties I would have probably said: no way - I'm sure I'll be listening to Perry Como by the fire in full "pipe and slippers" mode!

Strangely enough that didn't happen. In fact I became more into music than ever, and my horizons broadened to include all sorts of stuff including classical and jazz.

Who would have thought that the bands of the day, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Carcass, Testament etc would still be playing into their 50s?

So do whatever the hell makes you happy at whatever age! The only time to stop is when you stop liking it.

Sadly for me 40 is well in the rear-view mirror at this stage.

If you asked me when I was in my twenties whether I would still be listening to metal in my forties I would have probably said: no way - I'm sure I'll be listening to Perry Como by the fire in full "pipe and slippers" mode!

Strangely enough that didn't happen. In fact I became more into music than ever, and my horizons broadened to include all sorts of stuff including classical and jazz.

Who would have thought that the bands of the day, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Carcass, Testament etc would still be playing into their 50s?

So do whatever the hell makes you happy at whatever age! The only time to stop is when you stop liking it.

Yeah I think music is becoming an overall thing from now. Like loads of every kind of music from chant to metal to pop and rock from the 50s.

Maybe its just a case of not being able to live inside music anymore....I still dig metal. Id say more than not those albums are aging well. You cant be 23 forever I guess.

I don't think broadening horizons is anything to do with age or related to having less time for music. I've met teens who would check out albums from any genre of music and middle-aged people who stubbornly refuse to listen to anything that doesn't involve long hair and guitar solos. It all depends on the person's perspective.

I don't think broadening horizons is anything to do with age or related to having less time for music. I've met teens who would check out albums from any genre of music and middle-aged people who stubbornly refuse to listen to anything that doesn't involve long hair and guitar solos. It all depends on the person's perspective.

All those youngish faces staring out of the album sleeves... v dislocating. Is it not 1996 anymore?

All those youngish faces staring out of the album sleeves... v dislocating. Is it not 1996 anymore?
    Sense - you're not making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Don't worry GrumpyNerd, we all get that "I'm too friggin old feeling" from time to time, especially if you turn on Kerrang or Scuzz and head tilt at the young fresh happy faces beaming back at you in their flannel shirts and unnaturally straight/styled hair.

But whatever...the music is what makes you happy and young at heart. Myself and my friend were wondering if we'd still be going to gigs when we're in our 50s but then remembered our parents still go to gigs and even stand in the lashings of rain to get up the front.

It's all about what makes you happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

That's true. I wasn't suggesting that horizons broadened as you get older. It's just that with the advance of technology we now have access to all the music ever created so it's easier to listen to other genres. Back in the day we could only listen to the muck that the mainstream media pumped out on radio and tv as well as the music we sought out ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

The big 40 is staring me in the face and I think my passion for Metal is increasing the older I get.
    I am more willing to try other genres and am going to more gigs and festivals that I did when I was younger.
    I will only stop listening when they are putting me in the ground.

In saying that a couple of people have said lately " Dont you think you are getting a bit old for all the gear you wear?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Myself and my friend were wondering if we'd still be going to gigs when we're in our 50s but then remembered our parents still go to gigs and even stand in the lashings of rain to get up the front.

My girlfriend's Dad started going to Glastonbury when he was in his 60's! He would head along with his brother, watch tribute acts like The Bootleg Beatles and then tell people how they were good 'but of course nowhere near as good as the real thing were back in 1963' - and people would buy them beer :)

Anyway, there's no such thing as 'too old' in this context. Ask Lemmy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'm 41 and still listen to extreme metal. I only got into black metal in the past 2 years and have really gotten into Napalm Death again recently.

One thing though is in my 30's I branched off into a lot of different stuff like Coltrane, Miles Davis, Aphex Twin, Mount Eerie and it's great.

Now when my son is in the car we listen to Sufjan Stevens, the Killers, Leonard Cohen some Blut Aus Nord!

Keep the mind open.

He will have some palate when he grows up.

I dunno. It feels a little like being chanted at by alvin and the chipmunks....

I just had to deliver a couple of early dark tranquility albums to the charity shop. They just sounded too immature to keep going with. Having said that Fiction is holding up really well.

Having said that people still go mad at all ages for the works of classical composers whose big works somne of which were composed when they were young. And the boomers wont shut up about all the early rock bands even if they sound **** to my ears.

Also with people living longer it's possible the stayiong younger [phase can be stretched out a bit legitimately without being stunted or emotionally immature.

Things were simpler a few years ago.

I just had to deliver a couple of early dark tranquility albums to the charity shop.

:eek:

Which charity shop?

skydancer and the gallery are complete crap. Used to like them tho.

Ah, I have them. Which shop though? The Gallery is one of the finest metal albums ever made, I'm sure someone else would love to pick them up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

45, still love Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. In fact I still love the bands I started out with, Queen, Beatles and Marillion. Just a few years ago discovered Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.
    Along the way I picked up Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Bjork, Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, I could go on for days.
    My parents would always tell me I'll grow out of that nonsense and start listening to real music. Thank god that never happened.

Links234 wrote: »
    Ah, I have them. Which shop though? The Gallery is one of the finest metal albums ever made, I'm sure someone else would love to pick them up.

SVP in Bray. The Gallery is awful. Don't understand how anyone older than 15 could enjoy it. Damage Done however sounds as good as ever. Fiction, character, the minds i all ageing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

Growing up is giving up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Bought Deliverance and Wiseblood C.O.C albums in my 20s.Going to see them live in a few weeks in my 40s.Olde Never to Olde......

Advertisement