Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    yea I think imagine doing what eir doing so many of those houses in Kildare will be out of NBP.:mad:

well hopefully it wont count because we all know it's gonna be crap. Wireless may not work properly at all locations, dodgy pings, line of sight problems, congestion and caps. I would rather put up with my current 9 meg ADSL than go to a wireless connection. Hopefully the powers that be will realise as well that FTTH is the only way the NBP is gonna work.

They are claiming that Eir won't do the rural FTTH, that has to be complete bs, well it better be a bs excuse from Imagine. The only reason I believe that it is bs is that Eir are not gonna sit idle and let another network spring up and take away everything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you live in Kildare too?

I've never had any fixed line broadband (Eircom/Vodafone...) where I live. Using mobile broadband with useless usage limits. Gonna be pissed off if wireless is gonna be the only solution for the foreseeable future.
    nah live in meath just hate imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hybrid DSL/LTE might creep into the plan. It's commercially available across Germany since March or so. It works basically as follows:
    You need a hybrid capable modem. At present the only device on the market is the "Speedport Hybrid" Deutsche Telekom provide (it's a Huawei device inside). This device has a DSL connection and an LTE connection. It uses the DSL as much as possible and if the DSL is swamped, it sends and receives traffic over LTE. On the other side, Telekom stitches the data back together and forwards it on.

Telekom allows even what they call DSL-light users (so the poor unfortunates out in the sticks with a truly terrible 384kpbs download) to avail of this service. It remains to be seen how the LTE network holds up as more people make use of this service.

A DSL-Light or DSL-6000 customer can "boost" their speeds with LTE up to 16Mbps. A DSL 16000 customer (ADSL2+ Annex B causes less available bandwidth nence ADSL2+ connections here only go up to 16Mbps) can "boost" their speeds with LTE up to 50Mbps. They even allow VDSL users on 50Mbps to "boost" over LTE up to the full 100Mbps, though expected uptake there would be very low.

There are no data caps for either DSL or LTE components! pure LTE is always capped here, as it is in Ireland. Telekom obviously reckons that the majority of traffic will still end up going over the DSL, leaving their LTE network in relative peace, otherwise the whole concept would be madness.

The upsides are obvious: people with even very poor ADSL, especially those far from exchanges in rural areas, can enjoy a massive speed boost up to "urban" speeds.

The downsides are mainly (IMO) that the modem/router Telekom supply is basically a piece of junk. sure, it can do the hybrid trickery but it lacks a host of functionality you'd find in a FritzBox and the biggest problem: it doesn't function as a modem. You can't bridge it at all. You are forced to use its router part.

I don't think this hybrid DSL/LTE is actually available in too many places in the world. To me it's a sign that Telekom is way behind in decent fixed broadband more than anything else, but the technology exists and it would almost certainly satisfy the minimum speeds of any NBP specification, though as it's shared medium who knows how crappy it can get when congested.

I don't think DSL/LTE hybrid would work in Ireland fibre the best way forward.I have little fate in NBP since the goverment always keep making wrong choices.

I do see eir doing there FTTH roll to rural areas because they don't want to blacken there new name by going back to there old ways.I think what imagine said is bs they just want to keep there grip on rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ACLFC7

Do you think one area could be covered by 2 providers under the national broadband plan?
    Imagine will be supplying broadband to my area under the NBP (if that facebook post was accurate).
    But I will also be covered by Eir's "Rural Fibre Routes" according to their map.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eir looked into possibly using 4G, but found that the costs to actually reach the EU minimums, it would end up costing more then FTTH in the long term (way higher ongoing maintenance and operational costs).

Eir did a pretty comprehensive 150 page report into the options for the NBP and to be honest it pretty much rubbishes any sort of wireless for anything but the most extreme case (isolated house on top of a mountain).

Do you think one area could be covered by 2 providers under the national broadband plan?
    Imagine will be supplying broadband to my area under the NBP (if that facebook post was accurate).
    But I will also be covered by Eir's "Rural Fibre Routes" according to their map.
    well no imagine doing what eir doing just on a smaller scale.There doing this as a showcase for there NBP submission so they get some of the NBP tender contract.They are hoping that the houses they cover will be out of NBP keeping most of there customers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well there would be only one operator under the NBP. The NBP just means they receive a government subsidy.

But that doesn't stop another operator supplying service on a purely commercial bases. That is what Eir's "Rural Fibre Routes" seem to be, Eit supplying FTTH on a purely commercial basis, with no government subsidy.

So under this case, you could get service from either.

Though that is based on the current plans, it seems an updated NBP map is due to be published soon, which may end up excluding these Eir areas from the NBP. Thus no money for Imagine.

bk wrote: »
    Well there would be only one operator under the NBP. The NBP just means they receive a government subsidy.

But that doesn't stop another operator supplying service on a purely commercial bases. That is what Eir's "Rural Fibre Routes" seem to be, Eit supplying FTTH on a purely commercial basis, with no subsidy.

So under this case, you could get service from either.

Though that is based on the current plans, it seems an updated NBP map is due to be published soon, which may end up excluding these Eir areas from the NBP. Thus no money for Imagine.
    I don't think imagine getting any money of the goverment yet.There show there arrogant side by saying eir won't do any of the FTTH to rural areas how would they know and that 1 reason I wouldn't like them to win any of NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The government would have to move quite a distance from what they said in their Intervention Strategy to now include the wireless companies. What, technologically speaking, has really changed in the past couple of months.

KOR101 wrote: »
    The government would have to move quite a distance from what they said in their Intervention Strategy to now include the wireless companies. What, technologically speaking, has really changed in the past couple of months.
    well if they pick wisp as the winners of the NBP then it already a failure in my eyes especially if they do it just to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Does anyone know what technology Image are actually proposing? The signs I've seen are for 30 - 100 mbs, is it bog standard LTE stuff in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

I have no doubt about Eir running fiber to the to the boonies , recently while on a sunday outing to Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork, I spotted more fiber runs on poles - these places have a very small population and the road takes some inclines and turns that would terrify a mountain goat. They are doing it and i do believe they are the only ones to really offer FTTH for rural for the future . Comless Eir. Irish Eir .........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

dbit wrote: »
    I have no doubt about Eir running fiber to the to the boonies , recently while on a sunday outing to Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork, I spotted more fiber runs on poles - these places have a very small population and the road takes some inclines and turns that would terrify a mountain goat. They are doing it and i do believe they are the only ones to really offer FTTH for rural for the future . Comless Eir. Irish Eir .........

Can it be true? Dbit is giving eir credit!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

dbit wrote: »

Complete newb question but, Do they run the fibre cable along the existing electricity cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Complete newb question but, Do they run the fibre cable along the existing electricity cables?

Thats what SIRO are doing, eircom are using their own plant (poles+ducts).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ACLFC7

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/
    Imagine called me yesterday. They said the network in the Kilteel / Rathmore area should be live with a week or two. No usage limits but he said maybe a 300 or 400GB usage policy(it didn't sound like he had official numbers.)

I won't be joining because I still have 2 or 3 months left on my mobile broadband contract with Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sorry to sound stupid lads and ladies but imagine.ie ... I fall inside their proposed maps there - what are they planning to do? - website doesn't give much away from what I see.

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/
    Imagine called me yesterday. They said the network in the Kilteel / Rathmore area should be live with a week or two. No usage limits but he said maybe a 300 or 400GB usage policy(it didn't sound like he had official numbers.)

I won't be joining because I still have 2 or 3 months left on my mobile broadband contract with Three.
    I wonder what there connecting ratio will be look like there increasing there footprint now with cork I guess there worry about eir FTTH rural rollout.

It funny they say fibre but don't give out any info on what technology there using 300Gb to 400Gb believe it when I see it in writing on there website.

Did they give you a price what it be and the speeds that you likely get?.

This is great news. A proper technical and financial assessment of any proposals before those houses are taken out of the NBP. Can't copy and paste from PDFs on my mobile, but there appears to be no way the government will be blindsided by mere 'expressions of interest.' to commercially provide rural fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

To be fair, I'm impressed by how the DCENR are dealing with the NBP this time round. Hopefully it continues that way.

To be fair, I'm impressed by how the DCENR are dealing with the NBP this time round. Hopefully it continues that way.

Election is only round the corner, just wait and see.

ED E wrote: »
    Election is only round the corner, just wait and see.
    well hopefully the contract are sign and bid or bidders choose doh doesn't really matter who get in they still have do the NBP.

Not if the Dept of Finance just cuts the funding.

ED E wrote: »
    Not if the Dept of Finance just cuts the funding.
    well don't think they would since it already cut in half.The new goverment would just piss people off that already have being living with cuts in everything.

rob808 wrote: »
    well hopefully the contract are sign and bid or bidders choose doh doesn't really matter who get in they still have do the NBP.
    No, contracts to be signed mid 2016, so that's after the election.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    No, contracts to be signed mid 2016, so that's after the election.
    Oh ok but still don't think the new goverment would mess with NBP since most the work done for them they be mad if they did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement